why didnt obi wan recongnise R2 D2?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

coolmovies
In A new hope why didnt obi wan recongnise R2 D2?

truejedi
or c3po, if you think about it. just an inconsistency. Lucas ended up making a way bigger star out of D2 than he had originally planned.

Lt. Valerian
Or maybe he just didn't remember. It was more than twenty years ago, after all.

Tangible God
Yeah, what with R2 having been so close to him and Anakin during the war, and his relationship with him before that, it's no wonder Obi-Wan, a Jedi Master with a competent mind, didn't recognize the droid.

And Mace Windu survived the fall and came back as a zombie.

BruceSkywalker
Wasn't Obi-Wan around 60 or so in ANH. Even a Jedi's faculties start to wane at that age.

chik4lit
My friends and I just watched ANH, and it really could be easily seen that he does know who they are and just isn't letting on. There's wiggle room in Guiness's performance for that interpretation

Owen and Beru, however, clearly have no idea what's going on which is ridiculous since they freaking lived with 3P0 for, like, five years.

Master_Starbuck
When they lived with him he looked very different. Plus there are alot of protocol droids walking around the galaxy, they might have thought he was simply just another droid.

Jovan
Originally posted by Lt. Valerian
Or maybe he just didn't remember. It was more than twenty years ago, after all.
yeah and like said about the wiggle room... he says when Luke asks him that he never owned a droid, that's true and he never said he knew or not knew R2... just that he never owned a droid so if he did know: he never told them

coolmovies
what happens if he told them ??

Jovan
nothing at all stick out tongue I mean, it wouldn't have changed anything if he said he knew R2...

queeq
"Yo R2, long time no see, droidfriend... how're your chips hanging!"

Superboy Prime
All he said was that he didn't own R2; which is the truth.

queeq
True.

Kapton JAC
He went senile.

This does, however, brings up another interesting question: there are 20 years between 3 and 4, in 3 Obi was late 20's early 30's, which means in 4 he would be late 40's early 60's... but he looks like he's in his late 70's early 80's... how does that work out?

Tangible God
In ROTS, Obi is 38, he dies at 57. I guess the harsh climate of Tatooine took a toll on his youth. Guiness was 63 when he played him, only 6 years apart.

queeq
Let's face it... *cough cough*PT plot hole... *cough cough*

coolmovies
Yes i agree with queeq

queeq
Happy Dance

coolmovies
lolz

Jovan
Originally posted by queeq
I don't get it... like, he was pushing 40 in the 3th... so he was pushing 60 in the 4th. What's the problem exactly? confused

Lord Knightfa11
ob1=cryptic dirty crapface liar.

queeq
Very.

skywalker833
I always wondered why...

Lord Knightfa11
maybe alot of astromech droids look alike?

queeq
Originally posted by skywalker833
I always wondered why...

Does "a certain point of view" ring a bell?

MadMel
the short story or the quote?

queeq
?

Darth Maliko
Originally posted by Lord Knightfa11
maybe alot of astromech droids look alike?

There are only so many color variations possible and quite possibly millions or even billions of R2 units in the Galaxy.
It is possible to forget the exact name of a droid in twenty years.
Same goes for Threepio. Probably lots of gold protocol droid floating around. Kenobi can forget "C-3PO" just as easily as "R2-D2."
Or he could just be not letting on that he new them.

Lord Knightfa11
for some cryptic Jack sparrow style reason...

Tangible God
If the guy was gonna lie to Luke about his father, and his origins, why would he suddenly throw in, "But yeah, the droids I know. We had our days, heh."

Lord Knightfa11
oh yea. i guess it would sound kinda funny for him to say:
oh yea, the droids are cool... the r2 unit was your father's astromech droids. Then he gets to talking, and r2 suddenly reveals his fathers current identity. There goes esb. and luke might even join up with darth vader in episode IV.

queeq
Why not? With the PT the shock of the ESB revelation is already ruined.

chik4lit
Considering that almost everyone born after the mid-eighties *raises hand* already new about all the family ties before they even watched the movies, I'd say it was all dashed to hell anyway.

queeq
Well... it still worked without the PT... I think.

Lord Knightfa11
um then we would be deprived of all the great things we get from the pt

Wait... NVM

queeq
Indeed... nvm.

<><>
obi-wan is just getting older, i think it's that simple. apparently there were alot of astro droids. i remember when i saw ep.1 i mistuke on them them for r2-d2.

queeq
So he's demented?

Jovan
Originally posted by &lt;&gt;&lt;&gt;
obi-wan is just getting older, i think it's that simple. apparently there were alot of astro droids. i remember when i saw ep.1 i mistuke on them them for r2-d2.
yes, the ship R2 is on in Episode 1 actually has 2 blue R2s

Bardock42
The way it appears to me, it's just that GL really didn't give a ****. R" is popular? Lets put him everywhere, who cares about the story I once tried to tell...gimme money.

queeq
And he got it.

Mr Parker
Yeah thats a good question.Since he didnt even recognize them- which he surely would after spending so much time together with them,they should never have had R2D2 AND 3PO be seen with him in those prequals. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Mr Parker

yep.BIG TIME.cant get around it.

queeq
Yup.

Jack Daniels
maybe obi1 just had a bit of old timers syndromewheelchair...kinda like lucas...lol

Jovan
I don't get the problem. As far as I remember he said "I do not remember ever owning a droid". He is right, he never owned one, the one on his starfighter isn't his , it is from the Jedi Order. Jedi can't have possessions because you can get attached to them and that leads to the dark side.

So what that he didn't say "hey, I know that droid! He was the same one that was with your father for over a decade! And that gold droid: your dad made it!"? It is clear that Obi-Wan didn't want to reveal anything about the past....

queeq
OR summin like that.

Jack Daniels
Originally posted by Jovan
I don't get the problem. As far as I remember he said "I do not remember ever owning a droid". He is right, he never owned one, the one on his starfighter isn't his , it is from the Jedi Order. Jedi can't have possessions because you can get attached to them and that leads to the dark side.

So what that he didn't say "hey, I know that droid! He was the same one that was with your father for over a decade! And that gold droid: your dad made it!"? It is clear that Obi-Wan didn't want to reveal anything about the past....

I can go for that..lol... Obi1 was playing dumb...

queeq
Or didn't care.

Sesse
Maybe he was insulted?

They had an agrument about the droids soon after the birth scene.
Bail scammed the both droids for himself, and Obi wan is still pissed?

queeq
You think he remembered the agrument? They kinda stick on Jedi I hear. Rear things, those agruments... Only found on the moons of Ixyu.

sweersa
Originally posted by Mr Parker
yep.BIG TIME.cant get around it.

C3PO had different looking coverings when Lars owned him. Remember, so many droids exist in the galaxy, I am sure many look nearly identical. After so many years Lars isn't going to remember them. Espicially R2D2 who spend his time with the Rebels.

If you bought the same production computer you have now 20 years or so in the future with many others in between from somebody you are not going to assume it was the same machine you once had.

I guess the same goes for R2D2, except I am sure old Ben knew and didn't say anything.

queeq
Why confuse things for whiny young Luke.

sweersa
Why confuse things for whiny young Luke.

Yeah, Ben had no problem telling Luke Vader was his father, Leia was his sister, and that his dad really never said he wanted him to have his lightsaber.

I suppose one more "from a certain point of view" couldn't make things any worse.

The big EH
Originally posted by coolmovies
In A new hope why didnt obi wan recongnise R2 D2? he reconises them, what he said was "i dont remember owning any droids"

queeq
We know that.

The big EH
i didnt know you knew, but if obi did tell luke about the droids luke would ask questions, the kind that would lead to his dad

queeq
This debate has been done many times...

Devil King
Originally posted by coolmovies
In A new hope why didnt obi wan recongnise R2 D2?

Because he'd never met him before. Or C-3P0 for that matter. I know he was a Jedi and all, but that doesn't mean he can recognize a droid he's never met.

Originally posted by Jack Daniels
I can go for that..lol... Obi1 was playing dumb...

but see, you shouldn't have to "go for it" or "buy it". It should have been considered when Tugboat Lucas was writing the prequels. And when I say writing the prequels, I mean when he was writing them from scratch in 1998. He might have used a few names or planets from some of his original drafts of the three part story seen in the OT, but don't buy the crap that these scripts were just sitting around on his shelf for 20 years. They weren't. He pulled them out of his ass at the last minute.

queeq
OB1 did meet R2... on the ship with Padme in TPM, it was Anakin's fighter droid... they fought together in the Outer Rim and both had their droids with them. OB1 even sends Anakin off with Padme in AOTC with R2 as third companion... OB1 sure met R2.

Devil King
OB1 did meet R2... on the ship with Padme in TPM, it was Anakin's fighter droid... they fought together in the Outer Rim and both had their droids with them. OB1 even sends Anakin off with Padme in AOTC with R2 as third companion... OB1 sure met R2.

No he didn't. It didn't happen. Not once until Obi-Wan saved Luke from the Tusken Raiders.

Nope. It never happened. LaLaLaLaLaLaLaLaLaLaLa

Quiero Mota
I don't think it was a plothole. I honestly believe that he did recognize the droid, but lead-on that he didn't. He was indirect and misleading about everything else, including Luke's geneology and Yoda's identity (at first).

Devil King
I don't think it was a plothole. I just think Lucas didn't care. That's also why he used the prequels as an opprurtunity to play six degrees of galactic seperation with everyone.

queeq
That sounds about right.

Sadako of Girth
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
I don't think it was a plothole. I honestly believe that he did recognize the droid, but lead-on that he didn't. He was indirect and misleading about everything else, including Luke's geneology and Yoda's identity (at first).

Agreed.

And he could have been speaking the truth with the "I dont seem to remember owning a droid" bit.

I guess for that to be, all the starfighters and their accompanying astromechs would be, if anything, property of the Jedi Council etc rather than being property of individual Jedi.

Forcewielder
I really wish people didn't misread Obi-wan's line to mean that he had no memory of R2. When he said, "I don't seem to remember owning a droid", he's saying that he doesn't recall being the owner of that droid.

queeq
Agreed, he's just being evasive.

sweersa
Agreed, he's just being evasive.

Just like when he told Luke his father wanted him to have his lightsaber when he was old enough.

queeq
Exactly.

sweersa
Exactly.

What do you think Obi-Wan did during that whole time in his little Adobe house in the desert? Did he have a broadband connection...cable TV, anything?

queeq
Prolly... or he ran a secret nightclub for Tusken Raiders.

sweersa
Prolly... or he ran a secret nightclub for Tusken Raiders.

Hahaha, the name of the club would be that ever popular yell or roar the Tusken's do...how would you spell that?

In EU or I suppose even in the movies, the Tusken's can't strip off their outfits becuase they will be killed...reminds me of something in the Middle East lol That Lucas...

queeq
Maybe OB1 thinks the sexual performance of the Tusken ladies outweighs their smell.

sweersa
Maybe OB1 thinks the sexual performance of the Tusken ladies outweighs their smell.

Hahaha. Isn't there a deleted scene when Luke first walks into Ben's Adobe and says "Why does it smell like masturbation in here?"

queeq
That's classified.

sweersa
That's classified.

Hahaha. Maybe Luke slipped it into the Jedi Archives after he got the temple back...the adult (Jedi Master) section!

parvati120
haha this is the oldest question in the book, it might be because george lucas did not write the prequel trilogy before the originals or because of &lt;insert random explanation&gt; (!!)

queeq
Errr....... yeah.... I guess.

parvati120
glad you agree =)

queeq
I do?

sweersa
I have one main grudge against Lucas.

It has something to do with him once promising us 9 movies...

queeq
He never promised you nine movies.

parvati120
I believe there was a time he thought about stretching stories throughout nine episodes, he never promised it though, you are right about that

Nactous
nine, really?

sweersa
He never promised you nine movies.

There was a time. Check out old interviews or read old Star Wars literature in classic era publications. I have several.

queeq
They were CONSIDERING it in the leading leading up to the release of ANH. Lucas's story ideas became too big for one movie. So they made a part of it: ANH. If it were a success, maybe the rest of the story idea could be developed into more movies: nine or even twelve. In talks producer Gary Kurtz suggested nine or even twelve movies with a rather elaborate story in whoch Leia was never Luke's sister, but that Luke would in fact go in search of his sister and in episode nine or twelve Luke would finally confront the Emperor (after disposiong of Vader in epVI). But there were mere story ideas. With ROTJ Lucas decided to abandon those pretty good ideas and cramp the whole lot in one movie (hence the sloppy Luke-Leia bond and Solo surviving and becomeing a happy couple with Leia).

So... they never PROMISED you anything. Obviously Lucas was done with SW when ROTJ came about, feeling limited bij the technical impossibilities. When Jurassic Park came around he saw a chance to do Ep I-III and that was it.

And now we have Clone Wars...

coolmovies
Whats Jurassic Park got to do with SW?

parvati120
haha everything obviously =)

queeq
It does actually. because when Lucas saw what Spielberg had done to Jurassic Park he suddenly realised this was the technology he had dreamed of when making the OT. He stopped making Sw because he was disappointed with what he could make. Seeing JP, he realised there's a new possibility to revive the franchise in the way he originally envisioned it.
So first he started making the SW SE's to see if it could be done properly. Being satisfied with that he proceeded with the PT.

History peeps, history.

sweersa
It does actually. because when Lucas saw what Spielberg had done to Jurassic Park he suddenly realised this was the technology he had dreamed of when making the OT. He stopped making Sw because he was disappointed with what he could make. Seeing JP, he realised there's a new possibility to revive the franchise in the way he originally envisioned it.
So first he started making the SW SE's to see if it could be done properly. Being satisfied with that he proceeded with the PT.

History peeps, history.

Oh yes. How come Jurassic Park has better visual effects than Jurassic Park III?

queeq
JPIII's effects have more depth I think?

sweersa
JPIII's effects have more depth I think?

I suppose it is more complex, but some of the things like the raptors looked silly.

queeq
But that's more a design choice, not so much the quality of the CGI. I think that had to do with advanced understanding of what raptors looked like: colour and the possibility of feathers.

sweersa
But that's more a design choice, not so much the quality of the CGI. I think that had to do with advanced understanding of what raptors looked like: colour and the possibility of feathers.

But it contradicts the look of the raptors in the previous two movies...badly.

And the common excuse that "they evolved" doesn't hold up very well as the theory of evolution takes many, many years, not four.

queeq
Maybe they used different specimens on this island. Remember, it's a different location that the one in JP1.

That's how we bend it. hehehehe

roughrider
Originally posted by sweersa
Oh yes. How come Jurassic Park has better visual effects than Jurassic Park III?

Because Steven Spielberg isn't directing?
He brings certian details to attention.

sweersa
Maybe they used different specimens on this island. Remember, it's a different location that the one in JP1.

That's how we bend it. hehehehe

It is different than the first movie's island. (Isla Nublar.) They are on Isla Sorna in the second and third movies, the Raptors on Isla Nublar and Isla Sorna look the same in the first two films. So unfortunately you can't use that bent excuse.

Ask Joe, who sent Steve a letter stating:

Dear Steve,

I'm Sorry.

-Joe

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.