Why I Don't Want To See "Indy IV"

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ahnold
Hey guys. Please forgive me in advance for the length of this post, but I find myself in a curious dilemma - one which I'm interested if anyone on here finds themself in too ...

Let me start by saying that - despite what the thread title may suggest - I love "Indiana Jones". I, like countless others, grew up with those first 3 films; I must have seen each of them dozens of times, and am slightly embarassed to admit that I can probably quote large chunks of them stick out tongue - in short, they are some of my favourite movies of all time. And, for as long as I can remember, there have been whispers of a fourth entry in the franchise. As a die-hard fan, how could I not be hugely excited by this tantalising prospect? A new "Indiana Jones" film to watch and enjoy after so many years? What could be better? Alas, year after year we were cruelly teased and tantalised with the prospect of a fourth film, and yet nothing concrete materialised. There was setback after setback after setback - and I must admit that, by 2006, I had lost all hope of ever seeing any new adventure for Dr. Jones ...

And then came that glorious announcement in December of 2006 that finally - finally - the 3 major players had signed off on the latest script, and that it was actually due to start filming in the Summer of the following year. Like millions of fans across the globe, I was overjoyed, and my anticipation levels for the film skyrocketed. And then, as the months passed, I saw and watched excitedly as they released the first photos, and then the film's title, and then the first teaser. And now here we are, and - and a part of me still can't believe I'm actually saying this - the release of the film is just under a month away ...

So then - why the thread title? Why *don't* I want to see "Indy IV"? Don't get me wrong - I will see it, of course, and what's more I'll be there on opening day. But, if I'm being honest, a part of me is reluctant to. And why? Because when I do ... then that'll be it; the wait will be over. And, in truth, I don't think that I'll ever again look forward to another movie as much as this one (except, perhaps, "Back To The Future IV" stick out tongue ) . And that just makes me kinda sad ...

Admiral Akbar
True, the wait will be over, but I'm more interested to see if the wait was worth it. If not, then the wait didn't mean anything to begin with.

queeq
Good point.

Well, seeing how Spielberg has continued to develop his art in great films like Saving Private Ryan, Minority Report, Catch me if you can and The Terminal... I think this will turn out fine. I hope so in any case, but what I've seen so far has given me good ole Indy chills... All we can hope is that Lucas doesn't have too much of a say in this one. wink

exanda kane
Don't forget Munich.

And I read an interview with Ford, who said he would be up for another one if they don't have to wait another decade for a script. This could just be the start of your wait.

Ahnold
True, Exanda Kane - there could well be even more "Indiana Jones" films beyond the fourth (although, given the immense time and effort it took to get *this* one together, I kinda doubt it). But I already know that the wait for those wouldn't be quite like the wait for "Indy IV". After all, everyone has been waiting a whopping 19 years for this next adventure, with the constant setbacks the film has suffered over the years (coupled with periodic glimmers of hope), if anything, making the anticipation all the more (and, one would hope, the payoff all the sweeter). I highly doubt that any future films would end up having such an agonisingly drawn out, rollercoaster ride of a development, and so the anticipation for a fifth movie could never be as high as it is for this one ...

What's more, for an entire generation of fans (myself included), "KOTCS" will be the first Indiana Jones film that we'll get to see up on the big screen (as they are meant to be seen!). Like watching your first "Star Wars" film in cinemas, that's an experience that can never be replicated - even with a sequel.

Stun
Yeah i'm looking forward to seeing my first Indy film in theaters - it's like a dream come truewink i'm not expecting miracles on this one, as long as it closely resembles the look and feel of the originals, i'll be fine with it.

queeq
It's gonna be my fourth in teh theater! Happy Dance

Mr Parker
Yeah I understand.I am going to see the movie but I really wish he had ended the series as a trilogy so im not excited about it.

queeq
Ah well, if Indy 4 is good... who cares?

Ahnold
It's funny, but ... looking back now on the whole agonisingly drawn-out build-up to "Indiana Jones IV", I've come to the realisation that, in spite of the fact that I very much enjoyed the film itself, I think I actually enjoyed the wait a whole lot more. I should have seen it coming, really; I call it the "Snakes On A Plane" effect stick out tongue - it's problem is that the end result, however good, can't possibly live up to the promise of expectation ...

queeq
Unfortunately no..

Sadako of Girth
Hell It couldnt compete with the expectations put on "The Mummy 3", let alone with all the great things expected from the new film to go with the greatest trilogies of all time.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by queeq
Ah well, if Indy 4 is good... who cares?

unfortunately it wasnt.the idiots should have kept it as a trilogy. mad No wonder sean connery bailed out of doing this movie.After reading the god awful script he probably said -No thanks.

queeq
Prolly. I personally think there is no excuse. You have George Lucas and Spielberg and Ford... No, if ever money's no reason to fail, it's with these guys. They'd easily collect a handsome budget, do it all for free in the process and just get some rights in the profits and they'd still make a crapload of money. So why did it fail? Nonchalance? Trying toplease all three players? WTF?

Sadako of Girth
Yeah it could be a case of "Too many cooks..." and greed combined.

queeq
Even that doesn't work since they made a lot better pics in the past.

Sadako of Girth
Yeah but the cooks in the 'Too many cooks' analogy are top cooks who all have owned excellent resteraunts... The point is when you water your ideas down and surrender it to the manipulation of others who might not be on the same page as you, it invites disaster is the point.

queeq
But then there is Raiders... Same cooks, with individual successes prior to that. And then ToD and TLC. Somehow, it remains unexplained. Maybe they considered it a walk in the park.

Sadako of Girth
Complacency?

queeq
Yeah, something like that. I really wonder how they feel themselves about the movie now.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by Sadako of Girth
Complacency?

yeah I think thats it.That since they were now rich beyond their wildest dreams now that they didnt go all out and put their hearts and souls into it.Just were satisfied with having it out there.I think what happened to them is best illustrated with Mike Tyson as an example.Tyson got to the point where he was beating so many fighters all the time in his fights that he got complacent and relaxed when he fought Buster Douglass.

Tyson wasnt hungry anymore and thought it would just be another cake walk so he stopped training really hard like he did in the past when he first came out and got complacent.Douglass was hungry at the time and knocked Tyson out.

Sadako of Girth
For real. Cant take it away from Douglas, what he did there that Tokyonian night. He fought absolutely with textbook prescision that night and the force was definitely with him. But Tyson without that speedy aggressive lateral movement on the way in like he had in his prime, he always gonna be doomed against a man that quick and big compared to he that night.
I wonder how the fight would have been in say 1985...

I say both 1985 Tyson and the Douglas that beat Tyson that night, should go to work on the writers of Indy IV for 20 mins. stick out tongue

queeq
Five will do.

Sadako of Girth
The Gophers, Queeq.

The gophers.

queeq
I know... But after five it's just watching boxers hit spaghetti sauce... if we can't recognise them anymore, where's the fun in that?

Sadako of Girth
Then they move to the nut shots.

queeq
I'm game.

Sadako of Girth
They'd cough up intestine, I bet, during the fourth minute or so of their brutal pounding. They'd be able to sing Bee Gees covers.

"Tragedy!" wink

queeq
Hmmm... Interesting. That would rpolly inspire them to do another movie together: Bee Gees The Movie - Meeting Occupants of Interplanetary Craft

Sadako of Girth
LOL 2010: A nutcracking oddessy.

"Ground controllllllllll to Major Tommmmmm" (of the testicle fracture clinic)

queeq
*makes note: write scene in Testicle Fracture Clinic*

Silent Guardian
you should all go watch that South Park episode with Indiana Jones

Sadako of Girth
Again...?

But the screams......the horror....

queeq
I watch it quite frequently...

Sadako of Girth
True that it is a healing medicine.

queeq
Very. It brings sunshine in my life.

Sadako of Girth
Stevie Wonder-style...?

queeq
Being blind sure helps watching TAOS again.

Sadako of Girth
ROFLMAO

True.

But cant you hear the Gophers referring to each other with pitched squeaks...? And the gentle cracking of the vines being swung on by Mutt's secret army of the 12-dozen monkeys...?

And you could still hear the dialogue too. sad

queeq
I'm sure the experience is way better.

Sadako of Girth
Well its like half a bullet through the heart.

queeq
Leaves half a heart.

Sadako of Girth
With massive tissue loss and loss of pressure.

That heart is f***ed.

But its still more heart than Indy IV has.

queeq
laughing out loud

Sadako of Girth
A true corpse on the table of a movie that made Alex Murphy's physical condition after he first meets Boddicker look healthy.

queeq
Who?

Sadako of Girth
See "Robocop" for details.

queeq
Ah right.

Sadako of Girth
"Can you flyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy, Bobby.....?" stick out tongue

queeq
laughing out loud

Sadako of Girth
"Does it hurt...? Does it hurrrrrrrrrrrt...?"

stick out tongue

queeq
I don't know it that well. I'm still not too sure about that movie.

Sadako of Girth
The director's cut DVD is awesome.

Still one of my favorite movies of all time.

queeq
Really? I still have troubles with Verhoeven's films, even though we're from the same country. Robocop being one of the better ones though.

Sadako of Girth
What irks you about his stuff?

And was Total Recall not a fave of yours also, then...?

queeq
TR sucked balls the size of Mars, in my humble but appropriate opinion.

Well, I have two films I like: Soldier of Orange and Robocop. In general I find his films rather clumsy and in-your-face, no film goes by with a usually inappropriate amount of ****, sex, shit, violence and whatever, all based on some misconstrued idea of realism. Plus he doesn't know how to pace himself. Total Recall has a great concept, I'm an avid fan of Philip K. Dick and the short story is great. I think they turned the film into an action flick and suffers from many quite boring fights. It's like you have a commercial breakevery five minutes: five minutes of story, five minutes of fighting, five minutes of story, five minutes of fighting. That bothers the hell out of me. I had exactly the same problem with Basic Instinct - too many, too long boring sex scenes. They're all the same and it slows the story down. Sometimes his fixation seems to be on the sex/shit/violence scenes and not so much on the story. And again, that bothers the hell out of me.

Sadako of Girth
Dont get me wrong, Im only talking about Robocop and Total Recall specifically, (not commenting on his other stuff so much)

Robocop's pacing was perfect. Never missed a beat.
There wasnt really any sex in it, either. And its the classic it is because it had a very strong human story along with the violence imho.

The three tittied mutant in the bar was about the only sexual thing in Total Recall, beyond innuendo/verbal references.

True though about Basic Instinct. I never really considered it to be his best works. Stuff like Fatal Attraction which preceeded it was better.

I am yet to read "Wholesale" and thusly Im not (at present) irritated by discrepacies /inconsinstancies in relation to it.

Boring fights..?

queeq
Yeah, they were boring. Just emptying a couple of guns and shooting everything to pieces is fun the first time, but every fight in TR was about the same. My comparison is that TR had a lot of boring fights, BI had a lot of boring sex scenes. the first one's nice but after that they're all the same. Take most of them out, the film gets shorter and prolly better.

And there are no discepancies in Wholesale...don't get me wrong. Whole sale tells about the first half hour of Total Recall. It's a short story. Much the same as Minority Report is less than the first hour from the film. But there they added a good continuum with censoring of the precog's mother's murder and the precog orgins. That bit was very much in the spirit of Dick and made full very good film. In TR it's like the idea's there, but it gets covered by a lot of guns that it becomes a basic chase movie. And that doesn't do credit to the world of paranoia that Dick created in all his work IMHO.

Sadako of Girth
Oh that was interesting...
I didnt know they'd bolted on so much in TR.

At least it wasn't butchered as badly as what happened to Stephen King/Richard Bachman's "The Running Man".

The paranoia part got all shifted up into the film version of "A scanner Darkly" though, eh..?

queeq
Which was following very closely to the book, but by doing it too closely they just didn't get it very well IMHO. It's one of Dick's best novels, but not the best film.

The best ones by far are Blade Runner and Minority Report.

Sadako of Girth
I will follow your recommendations, I love the films, but if the books are better...? "Id buy that for a dollar....." stick out tongue

queeq
The short stories are hard to compare of course. They make a different point. Dick was more commenting society and used these bizarre concepts to express his own paranoia.

Sadako of Girth
Lucky he did.

Paranoia is good sometimes.

queeq
Dick wrote a whole library full with it. He's great!

Sadako of Girth
The fine line between genius and madness.

queeq
Oh very much so. It's the madness/paranoia prolly that made it great.

Sadako of Girth
I can personally relate to several things/perceptions in the movie.
I like a movie that gets you contemplating shit.

queeq
You contemplate shit a lot? Maybe you should try contemplating life.. wink

Jovan
Those that didn't see Indy IV: good call, got the Razzi... and deserved every shit of it

queeq
All this talk about shit all of a sudden... wink

Sadako of Girth
Must be the whiff of shizier pron whiffing from the subjects of the nazi thread.

It won the razzi...? Exceeeeelllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllent
Common sense is prevailing, it would seem lolz.

queeq
Did Spielberg and Lucas come to collect? The squealling sound from the South Park episode would have made a good cue music as they walked up the stage.

Sadako of Girth
LOL laughing out loud

Great idea, the squealing.
Its should itself be backed by the deliverence dueling banjo theme..! stick out tongue
-The official theme tune of probable inbreeding and definite rape-

queeq
That way the Razzies will knock out the Oscars rating wise.

Sadako of Girth
It would appeal to the Verhoven-appreciating gene. stick out tongue

queeq
Oh...

Sadako of Girth
...the horror......the horror.

queeq
And it's Verhoeven... wink

Sadako of Girth
LOL Of course. The extra "E" was knocked off in the extended, bloodier, more sexual and violent edition of that name. shifty

queeq
I don't understand why English speaking people can't pronouce it properly. It's not like it's unpronouncable for English folks: Verhooven...

Sadako of Girth
I pronounce it fine.

Just typing it tripped me up.

queeq
Sure sure...

Sadako of Girth
For real.

'Verhoeven'.

See...?
Tell your country to get REAL names....! stick out tongue

queeq
I will. *makes note*

Sadako of Girth
laughing out loud

Yes.........

Gonna add it to your "things to do when I have taken over my country" list.

queeq
That would solve all our problems, yes.

Sadako of Girth
stick out tongue Will it raise the THC levels of exported Ketchup...?

queeq
Dunno, I'll ask.

Sadako of Girth
Good man.

queeq
So far they're saying you need to eat more of it to help our economy.

Sadako of Girth
I'll do my part.... now raise those THC levels... wink

queeq
Yessir.

Sadako of Girth
Oh happy day..!

Can I be getting that quality control tester job....?

queeq
Whatcha willing to pay for it?

Sadako of Girth
The average price of ketchup, plus two magic beans.

queeq
Hmmm... you drive a hard bargain.

Sadako of Girth
A beany bargin.

queeq
Quite... *holds up two baked beans* These are very magic beans. Deal?

Mr Parker
god please NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! please for the love of god,not another INDY movie. please tell me this isnt going to happen?

Sadako of Girth
Quite... *holds up two baked beans* These are very magic beans. Deal?

Deal.
stick out tongue

Yes, Mr.Parker it looks almost inevitable.... sad

queeq
Pardon? There's talk of Indy V?

Sadako of Girth
Of course. Look at the way the last travesty was left. Pure setup. sick

Do you hear that, Mr.Queeqerson...? It is the sound of inevitability.

queeq
So, Mr. Girth. It looks like you have been living two lives. One as the Indy basher on KMC forums and another as a true KOTC fan.

Sadako of Girth
Hehehe close. Im a big indy fan, but hated KOTCS.

I can taste it's stink.

queeq
It's time you asked yourself... what you believe...

Sadako of Girth
I love the irony that we were paraphrasing one series of movies that worsened with every installment, to mock another.

queeq
Indeed. But most series of movies are like that. With LOTR perhaps as exception but that is basically one very long movie.

Mr Parker
Pardon? There's talk of Indy V?

please tell me this post was made as a joke? that its really not going to happen.Indy Four is comparable to Rocky 4.It could have been remembered as a great trilogy if they had just left it at that,a trilogy and stayed away from that god awful rocky 4.I wish they had just ended it with Rocky 3 and then never have done Rocky 4 or 5,and then jump ahead and made Rocky Balboa from a few years past.The Indy series compares very favorable to that series.A great triogy that should have stayed just that.a trilogy.except like I said.I was okay with Rocky Baboa made from a few years back.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by Sadako of Girth
Deal.
stick out tongue

Yes, Mr.Parker it looks almost inevitable.... sad

God that sucks.

queeq
Indeed.

Sadako of Girth
Indeed. But most series of movies are like that. With LOTR perhaps as exception but that is basically one very long movie.

Empire was superior to ANH...
Godfather 2 ruled Godfather 1...
Even AOTC was better than Phantom Menace.

There are a fair few still carrying the flame for improvement.

queeq
Oh yes, but very few actually make it to three really good ones. Die Hard 4.0 did surely outweigh 2 and 3... so it is possible.

siriuswriter
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom does not exist. The five hours that were spent watching it

i kept saying "really?" and "reaaaaaaaaaaaally?" during the movie, and during the chase scenes i was all : okay, this chase scene was stolen from raiders. oh yeah, that was the switcheroo move from raiders too. ... tank chase from last crusade. temple of doom remnants throughout the whole 'place of aliums'

and when i found out the alium thing, i gave up all hope. it was hard to block out of my mind, but i think i did it and now..

.....AHHHHHH NO! the... mutt... the... marion???
*breaks down again*

Sadako of Girth
You mean "Kingdom of the crystal skull", rather than "Temple of doom", don't you...?

In which case.... I feel your pain.

Temple of doom was an epic fact based Dr.Zhivago like opus, next to K.O.T.C.S or (TAOS = "Indiana jones and the aliens of shit".)

queeq
I was a bit taken aback by your first line, sirius... but indeed, it was TAOS you were talking about.

Sadako of Girth
Thank f*** for that.

I was all worried then, about the youth of today.

queeq
Some do hate ToD though.

Sadako of Girth
We cant do anything to help those people.

All we can do is see that they recieve treatment and offer them day-to-day support as they need it.

Its an unjust bi*ch of a world in which we are forced to see good folk suffer sometimes....it matters not the burden they are inflicted with, they are still human beings though in my eyes.

queeq
Oh benevolent one. Soon you'll show mercy to George for JarJar and TAOS.

Sadako of Girth
He belongs to "the other guy".

queeq
Which one?

Sadako of Girth
The one who puts flames up your bum for all eternity.

I refer to SS of course.

queeq
Hehehe... at least with Spielberg there a possibilities to redeem himself...

Sadako of Girth
I jope that one day he actually does it then.

queeq
Maybe next movie... I hope.

Sadako of Girth
'Jope' too. Its more effective that way....... shifty

stick out tongue

queeq
Jope?

Sadako of Girth
I was taking the piss out of my own typo.

queeq
Ah... laughing out loud

Sadako of Girth
Im just as hard on myself as I am on SS, MB, GL etc.

(Only while my filmaking career is unproved, I win by virtue of the fact that I have no KOTCS on my record. Win Win Win...!)

Lets face it: When compared to TAOS, 1941 was the superior movie.

queeq
Hmm... that's a tricky one... My problem with 1941 is that it's a comedy, but that it's not really funny. Now, KOTCS... that's a hoot! wink

Sadako of Girth
It had its moments.

Unlike TOAS. shifty

queeq
True, very true.

Sadako of Girth
Belushi was gold, as ever.
Ackroyd: Class in his concussion laden state of delirium.

queeq
Oh yeah... I loved the "I'm a bee... I'm a bee"- bit.

Sadako of Girth
laughing Yeah thats exactly the bit I was on about.

Class.

queeq
A pantyhose and two oranges... brilliant.

Sadako of Girth
Thats some resourcefulness right there..

queeq
Indeedy...

Sadako of Girth
Almost McClanian in its improv skills.

Or McGuyverian.

queeq
MacGuyver goes Comedy.

Sadako of Girth
It would be 25 years, despite the comedian Gallagher's best efforts, until someone made oranges laughed at and feared simultaneously, until LOST where John Locke utilised an orange to such disturbing and comedic effect, continuing the orange related japery legacy, that Marlon Brando and Dan Ackroyd had adherred to those years before.

queeq
Orange in Lost??? Whcih one, Lost 5? Or did I forget a scene... ?

Sadako of Girth
Season one, he does the Brando thing on the beach in one of the first episodes.

He does it to Kate seemingly to make her laugh, but it just comes across as disturbing..

queeq
Oh right... long time. Gotta watch the series again I think. I luuuvvv Lost.

Sadako of Girth
Best. TV. EVER.

queeq
Absolutely. Hope they air Lost 5 here sometime soon.

Sadako of Girth
Im up-to-date off of the net: Season 5 is the best yet.

queeq
CAN't............... WAIT.......

Sadako of Girth
Its so good that your nose will bleed, your mind will implode.

'Nuff Said.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>