Top 10 WWII Shooters!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

OB1-adobe
Yeah I know what you guys are thinking?

Who cares anymore? its genre done to death by now!

......and every american gamer has killed enough Krauts, and Tojo's to actually win a medal of honor by now.

I figured since it seems to be declining genre in the developer realm, thought to myself now is as good of time as any to ask what were favorites (top 10), and disapointments, and some you still havn't played.

My Top 10:

1. Call of duty 2 the big red one
2. Medal of honor Pacific assault
3. Medal of honor frontline
4. Medal of honor rising sun
5. Call of duty 3
6. Brothers in arms road to hill 30
7. Call of duty finest hour
8. Brothers in arms earned in blood
9. Medal of honor
10. Medal of honor european assault

Hated:

Battlefiled 1942- Historicaly innacurate and boring as *bleep*

Havnt played:

Medal of honor heroes 2
medal of honor airborne
call of duty 2
Call of duty
Medal of honor allied assault
Battle for the pacific
Call of duty road to home

and the 18 billion cheap knock offs that were trying to cash in

Captain REX
I absolutely loved Medal of Honor: Frontline. It's the game that got me hooked on World War II shooters and started me on an obsession with that period of history. It didn't help that my girlfriend bought me the 5 DVD WWII: Battlefront documentary film and that Band of Brothers is awesome, but Medal of Honor started it.

Rising Sun didn't nearly have the kick of Frontline, though definitely still fun. I think Medal of Honor has more of a knack for the European part of the war, barring MoH: Pacific Assault. PA I liked a bunch.

Call of Duty is the only game on my computer that I have kept installed, really. I have the expansion CoD: United Offensive and then CoD2, but UO isn't terribly great (having been made by another company) and CoD2 doesn't run well on my computer, so I still play CoD as frequently as some people play Counterstrike. Bolt-action rifles, all the way.

Battlefield 1942 I have not played much, simply because my computer seems to have a problem with any game in the Battlefield series, period. But for all its historical fumbles, I still found it fun from time to time. I suppose the '42 patch for Vietnam counts, and that was certainly entertaining. It's a different feel that MoH or CoD, that's for sure, but maybe a little more realistic in terms of how battles are fought, securing points instead of everyone just going on killing sprees that get shifted around the map.

I also suggest Day of Defeat.

Smasandian
You hated Battlefield 1942 for its historically inaccurate?

What?

It's an MP game. How can you be accurate with history. It has all the major battles in there, weapons and vehicles. What else do you want?

I dont find it boring, but some people might but it is one of the most influential games in the past 10 years.

**** alot better than the shittastic Medal of Honor series, especially the Red Sun. Oh, but its historically accurate, you know, completly straight and linear tree path through the jungle....they always have that in the pacific jungle.

And I'm in the boat that you cannot do a list if you have played Medal of Honor Allied Assault, or the first two Call of Duty games. Considering those three games are backbone of WW2 shooters and FPS in general. You should play those before you make a list.

OB1-adobe
Originally posted by Smasandian
You hated Battlefield 1942 for its historically inaccurate?

What?

It's an MP game. How can you be accurate with history. It has all the major battles in there, weapons and vehicles. What else do you want?

I dont find it boring, but some people might but it is one of the most influential games in the past 10 years.

**** alot better than the shittastic Medal of Honor series, especially the Red Sun. Oh, but its historically accurate, you know, completly straight and linear tree path through the jungle....they always have that in the pacific jungle.

And I'm in the boat that you cannot do a list if you have played Medal of Honor Allied Assault, or the first two Call of Duty games. Considering those three games are backbone of WW2 shooters and FPS in general. You should play those before you make a list.

In battfield 1942 im standing there in what is suppose to be a masive battle, and i'm just stading there listneing to the wind blow. I don't feel like I'm in the great battles I've read about, watch movies about, and seen on newsreels. Plus the A.I is shit. Rising sun is not accurate at all, but it at least you feel like a soldier in that time period. In battlefield I just feel like I'm playing Halo with WWii weapons and vehicals.

I havn't played the other ones not because I don't care, but just because I don't have them yet. I'm planning on getting everything that I can get my hands on except for what is pretty much rated as total crap.

Shit man I'm just trying to make conversatation. My list isn't what I think is the end all be all list, they are just some games I really freaking enjoyed.

Smasandian
Sorry, I could of been more nice.

But really, Battlefield 1942 is a MP game. Strictly an MP game.

Play online with 50 other people can be amazing experience. Single player is shit but its an MP game.

You cant compare at SP game that provides super scripted events (the only way of showing the horrors of WW2 effectively) with an MP game that is completely random.

I dont really care if you dont like, some people dont like the game but I dont think you can say its shit because its not accurate to history when its an MP game. You just cant.

Neo Darkhalen
COD4
MOH
MOH underground

Thats it.

Captain REX
Note World War II shooters, which CoD4 is not. wink

I always forget MoH: Underground. I played that once, had a lot of fun with it.

They still could have done a few things better on BF1942, of course. Like giving people the correct weapons. stick out tongue

ESB -1138
Originally posted by Neo Darkhalen
COD4

Dang...I didn't think WWII was like that...all this time I was mislead.

Smasandian
Originally posted by Captain REX
Note World War II shooters, which CoD4 is not. wink

I always forget MoH: Underground. I played that once, had a lot of fun with it.

They still could have done a few things better on BF1942, of course. Like giving people the correct weapons. stick out tongue

Like what?

Captain REX
Originally posted by Smasandian
Like what?

The Brits and Russians more or less just use American guns, and likewise with the Japanese on German guns. They sort of tossed the Bergmann MP18 (from Germany in World War I?) to the Russian and Japanese teams, just so they wouldn't be wielding Thompsons and MP40s. Where's the Sten? Where's the PPsh? Where's the Type 100 or any other Japanese gun?

I can understand it was probably for the sake of programming or file space or whatnot, but still...

Smasandian
Meh, its an arcade game.

I dont really care about all that stuff.

It's probably for the sake of balancing.

RedAlertv2
Battlefield 1942 > all

Burning thought
i fairly enjoy COD4 but its not WW2 as some say and i agree with Rex, as if Brits would use American guns in modern warfare lawlz....we got betta things to do than get shot

however personally i like the old COD3, MOH has a few games that entertain me but only for a while, not sure why

Spartan005
ehh, medal of honor games aren't really that good. well not nearly as good as call of duty anyway

I remember playing the first MoH and running up the beaches of normandy with like 4 other Americans LoL

Smasandian
Well, its pretty hard to a real D Day invasion with the tech they had back in the day.

Morridini
Day of Defeat had a great one, that free Stream game thingy.

Smasandian
Yeah, I liked the remake way better than the actual mod, but was done by the same people.

That's what makes Valve, in my mind, the best developer in the industry.

Captain REX
I wouldn't say best, but definitely up there for Valve.

BF1942 is hardly an arcade game, though...

Smasandian
Originally posted by Captain REX
I wouldn't say best, but definitely up there for Valve.

BF1942 is hardly an arcade game, though...

It's pure arcade.

You can jump into any tank, jeep or plane and the controls are simplified.

The shooting mechanics have a breath of realism in it but the overall game is pure arcade.

I would say they are.

Every game Valve have made has made a ton of money, gain massive amounts of critical praise and massive amounts of innovation for games itself. Hell, Half Life is one of the most important FPS out there and if it wasnt released, I dont know what we be playing today.

But thats not why I think they're the best developer, its because they brought us Steam, which was way before its time and now one of the more important things for PC gamers because it gives developers, and gamer a chance to play games that might not do so well in regular stores. And they have a very good history of getting talent in modders, and students which gave us the most played, and important online shooter CS, Portal, and Left 4 Dead.

As a pure developer, thats damn impressive.

SnakeEyes
Battlefield 1942 was always my favorite. I found the multiplayer to be more fun than any campaign/other multiplayer WWII shooter.

Other than that, I like Call of Duty 2 quite a bit, for its singleplayer and multiplayer.

MadMel
BF 1942 all the way big grin

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.