OK...CG meets traditional anime...blasphemy or not?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

agphoenix
I'm loving it! cool

Don't get me wrong, good 'ol Ninja Scroll and Berserk are right up there.

But what about:

1. Ghost in....
2. Appleseed
3. Karas
4. Pale Cocoon

I can't think of others right now but the number of arguments I've had about this topic....... sick

If you like 'em, give us some names/reasons.

If you hate 'em, give us some names/reasons.

psycho gundam
watch final fantasy:advent children for cutting edge CG.
you will respect it watching the film.

agphoenix
THAT'S the one I was forgetting!

That movie, no anime, no genius piece of art is insane. I could not believe what I was watching.

Thanks for reminding me. Yes that final battle scenes was one of the most incredible scenes I've watched.

I will say though, there was no 'mixture' of CG and anime if I remember correctly. It was PURE CG.

I'm talking mixture. But programming on a computer vs. drawing ...THAT's the question. The lighting, the shading etc. That was hand-drawn on paper without the help of a computer.

You're right though. Advent was INSANE. But is it pure anime?

Kero_Co
It's fine. I love Zoids(well,some zoids),Macross, Blue Sub 6, and Last Exile, and they all use CG to great effects. The only time I don't like CG in anime if it just doesn't fit, or if the anime is bad to begin with.

agphoenix
Originally posted by Kero_Co
Last Exile, and they all use CG to great effects.

What's 'Last Exile like?' /about? Never heard of it.

boobsmagee
it works SOMETIMES i will never watch the cg apple seed

i think ghost in the shell was good, karas sucked balls
it works in small doses sometimes, but other times its just terrible
i prefer non cg

agphoenix
Originally posted by boobsmagee
i will never watch the cg apple seed... karas sucked balls

Why not? Appleseed actually has a decent story, and the CG in it is nicely balanced as you like...at least I think so. In fact, that's what made me think about putting up this thread.

karas = agreed...but you're telling me the cg vs. reg. opening, the very first 4 minutes of fighting was not worth all sorts of eye-candy? eek!

psycho gundam
oh yeah zoids! kinda kiddy at times but pretty cool overall.

boobsmagee
i barelly remember karas, i just remember the story sucked big time
and the ending really didn't make much sense
it was like 1:30 when i watched it, and was kinda tired that day lol

and as for the appleseed movie
i've seen a few clips here and there and a commercial
found the cg to look like crap to me
it would be different if it atleast looked cool
but its too just messed up

BetrayedUnicorn
Originally posted by psycho gundam
watch final fantasy:advent children for cutting edge CG.
you will respect it watching the film.

agreed...CGI was done very well.

En Sabah Nur X
CG if used right and artistically can make quite the difference. But the old style is still cool.

psycho gundam
what about "vexille"? i heard mixed reviews but it looks good artistically.

agphoenix
Originally posted by psycho gundam
what about "vexille"? i heard mixed reviews but it looks good artistically.

I just watched 'Vexille.' The visuals/art are very, very nice. It's not trying to achieve what FF7 does...that's not the look it's going for. But the actual mixture of CG meets trad. art is phenomenol .

As far as the story is concerned...eh. More like Hollywood..except catering to a theme that's just been addressed WAY TOO MANY TIMES. . By no means is it boring though.

Go watch it. Just keep one word in mind: 'JAGS' evil face

agphoenix
Originally posted by En Sabah Nur X
CG if used right and artistically can make quite the difference. But the old style is still cool.

I agree completely. But any particular ones you got in mind? .

psycho gundam
Originally posted by agphoenix
I just watched 'Vexille.' The visuals/art are very, very nice. It's not trying to achieve what FF7 does...that's not the look it's going for. But the actual mixture of CG meets trad. art is phenomenol .

As far as the story is concerned...eh. More like Hollywood..except catering to a theme that's just been addressed WAY TOO MANY TIMES. . By no means is it boring though.

Go watch it. Just keep one word in mind: 'JAGS' evil face "JAGS" huh...i have to find out what that means.

iceman24567
What's 'Last Exile like?' /about? Never heard of it. Last Exile was amazing pretty much about a kid trapped in the middle of a war beautiful show.

En Sabah Nur X
I agree completely. But any particular ones you got in mind? .

ERGO PROXY

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.