your father wanted you to have this . . .

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

darth stu
pub17.ezboard.com/fepisode2couktheories]

Obi-Wan tells Luke his father wanted him to have the blue saber "when he was old enough but your uncle wouldn't allow it."

(1) does that mean Obi-Wan tried to give it to Luke and was chased off by Owen?

(2) how old is old enough? Obi-Wan had his by 12 or 13 or earlier. Luke didn't make his own until right before the beginning of ROJ. Vader sees it and says, "your skills are complete." Does building a saber "complete" a Jedi's skills? then why does Obi-Wan and others have one at 12 or 13?

(3) why give Luke the saber at all? If he is to become a Jedi he must make his own anyway.

(4) does this imply that Anakin gave it to Obi-Wan before they fought at the lava pits or after?

(5) If Anakin gave it to Obi-Wan before the duel, why!!!??? So he could construct a new red sith one? wouldn't that have made Obi-Wan suspicious?

(6) If he gave it to Obi-Wan after the duel . . . that just doesn't make much sense.

Any thoughts along these lines??

Cheers

UnknownBountyHunter
Here's my predictions:

1)I don't think this would imply that OB1 was chased off by Owen, I think he became "the lonely desert hermit" because he felt that any contact with Luke and OB1 would be discovered by Vader's sense of the force.
2)Old enough should be when they are about to "graduate" from the Jedi Temple. I feel any Jedi in training, should make one by the time he is let's say..15. The reason Luke received his from OB1, is because they didn't have time to go through discrete training, and skill practice, they had to act quick, or else the galaxy would go under. Luke finishing his before ROTJ was his completion of skills, even though a little late.
3)See #2
4)OB1 might have taken it after Anakin turned, persay Anakin "left" it behind. *Highly Doubtful Scenario*
5)My answer to #4 states that I don't agree with Anakin "giving" it to OB1.
6)Once again, he left it behind. *Once again, not likely*

Good Tough Questions

Xizor
Darth Stu, great questions. UBH, good responses. I'll add a few things. When Ob1 set infant Luke up with Owen he askes Owen to take the saber and give it to Luke when he's older. Owen, made bitter by Anakins turn and the Republic's fall refuses to take the saber. He wants nothing to do with the Jedi ways and Ob1 is forced to bring it with him on his desert retreat. Ob1 defeats Anakin at the Lava pits, Anakin falls into the lava and either drops his saber with panic(Ob1 would pick it up and leave) or Ob1 snatches it away with the force and abandns his evil pupil.

Darth Heinous
Notice in the movie how Ben finds the lightsaber immediately, while in G.L.'s novel he has to rumage through a chest for some time before he finds it.

UnknownBountyHunter
G.L.'s novel?? He made one?

King Jedi
I just think that Obi-Wan lied about it. He is quite good at that through the OT. Or is it just telling the truth from his point of view?smile

Dim
I think I'm going to start using that philsophy...smile

Xantos Clone
Yea!! wait a minute.....I was under the impresion that anakin was not aware of his offspring, so how could he even suggest that obi wan give it to Luke at all?...

that should be explained.....

Or it's possible that owen was correct in thinking that obi wan was a crazy old wizard!!!

Dim
I can explain it...Ben's a liar!...he tells little fibs whenever he pleases and covers it with that "point of view" malarky...smile

Xizor
You never read the SW's novel written by Lucas UBH? You need to, it has the whole Biggs scene in it.

Darth Daft
I think the line just means that Anakin would have wanted his child to be brought up as a Jedi, basically.

yerssot
but he had to be old enough so he wouldn't do stupid things ...
funny... Anakin had his training to late so he knew anger and went darkie, makes you think that Anakin did it on purpose
(and this line gives away that Vader KNOWS that he has a son)

Ushgarak
No it doesn't. After all, by the time Obi-Wan would have 'acquired' the sabre from Anakin, Anakin was unlikely to be in an 'I hope Obi-Wan gives it to my son' mood.

No, as I think we have discussed muchly elsewhere, Obi-Wan treats Anakin as if he is dead. And he knows that Anakin would have wanted any son of his to have his sabre, if he was dead.

Julie
I heard rumors that Anakin was awhare of the fact that he had a son but not a daughter....so he might have told obi-wan he wanted his son to have his saber.....

yerssot
but when? Perhaps when he made his own lightsabre then?

Julie
Maybe he made a couple....Luke lost one of his and made another...then EU he gave it to Mara Jade when somebody found it.

Maybe Anakin misplaced one...for a couple of months and had to build another, then when he found out he was going to be a father said he wanted his kid to have the old saber....

yerssot
EU doesn't count, remember...

and it's accepted that he lost his sabre in the final battle of EpII

Ushgarak
I wouldn't go so far as to say 'accepted'. A good possibility, though.

yerssot
accepted like in; everyone that knows the scriptment agrees with it...

Julie
Every body who's seen the scripment has no choice but to accept what it says....or forget the whole thing as rubbish.

yerssot
of it's rubbish, why would Lucasfilm have ordered it to be removed?

Ushgarak
The scriptment was INCOMPLETE. Some important bits were assumptions or even guesses. So dodn;t be too religious about it. And things like whether sabres are lost or not are not yet known for sure.

yerssot
and then you have the spy-reports from after they removed it

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.