The Red Scare

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

exanda kane
Anyone think this could have an impact on Indy?

Course, the Soviets are explicitly there, evil and lecherous, all the while plotting and scheming, but don't you think that the second Red Scare, the same time as the Crystal Skull is set, should or could have an impact on Indiana Jones in this or possible future ventures?

It just strikes me as another platform that could be used to pick apart the sensationalism surrounding McCarthyism and the acts themselves, especially considering Dr.Jones is likely to be in a position that he is suspected of Communist ties. Just a thought.

queeq
Errm... quite political this. I thought Indy was just a popcorn action movie.

exanda kane
It is, but they've entered a period where things a little grey around the edges. Just one reference would fulfill my wish - not that it is important, but a throwaway comment, anything, and I would be happy.

Admiral Akbar
I think the movie does make a reference to the Red Scare. Aren't the protests against communism outside of the University where Indy teaches a reference to the Red Scare?

queeq
MAkes sense.

On the other hand, what we've seen from Cate Blanchett: she's making the Red Scare stick!

exanda kane
I've seen that clip/set piece in featurette's and that could well be true.

Yeah, Cate Blanchett's hair cut scares me.

queeq
And the few clips of her performance look superb.

exanda kane
Aye, she is a crackin actress.

Admiral Akbar
I like her Russian Accent.

queeq
She rules.

exanda kane
It was included!

Sadako of Girth
Originally posted by Admiral Akbar
I like her Russian Accent.

When it could hold itself together... lolz

queeq
Oh come on... Blanchet did fine.

exanda kane
Aye.

Sadako of Girth
Hey! *Puts up hands defensively and stands back in mock caution*

The accent slipped a fair bit, and the poor girl did miracles with the shit she was given to work with is all I was saying.

And fair play! I wouldn't like to have hold that accent for all those takes and not expect to mess up.

(But then Im not a professional actress who is paid millions to do that, so naturally Im not expected to like she might reasonably be.)

queeq
She's forgiven.

Sadako of Girth
stick out tongue

There are worse crimes against acting, just think that she is getting a bit overated by some of the more enthusiastic reviewers is all.

You mentioned Connery for his dodgy Hunt for Red October accent.

It got me thinking of "What could be worse than that?"

And I happened to see "Highlander" for the 1st time in a while the other day, and his accent was meant to Spanish Egyptian...? Many lolz over that, there were.

queeq
laughing out loud

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.