Warp Straffing

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Big Len
I'm hoping the new film will show like TOS did that the Enterprise could fire phasers accurately whilst at warp. The original Enterprise was awesome!

Acrosurge
Originally posted by Big Len
I'm hoping the new film will show like TOS did that the Enterprise could fire phasers accurately whilst at warp. The original Enterprise was awesome! I'm pretty phasers were used at warp in both Ds9 and Voyager. *shrugs*

starlock
Originally posted by Acrosurge
I'm pretty phasers were used at warp in both Ds9 and Voyager. *shrugs*

I am almost positive they have been fired while in warp....torpedoes can not be fired while in warp.......Thats how most of the games are btw

Ushgarak
They fire torpedoes in warp often enough in the series.

The games are all over the place- continuity nightmare.

starlock
Originally posted by Ushgarak

i know the games have those rules, but i cant say i have ever seen a torpedo fired while in warp in any show, not off the top of my head,thats allot of shows and episodes...and my memory aint what it used to be smokin'

But if you say they were ,i will take your word for it thumb up

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Ushgarak

Frankly the shows are a continuity nightmare as well. Mostly minor things but some of them really annoyed me.

Acrosurge
Originally posted by starlock
i know the games have those rules, but i cant say i have ever seen a torpedo fired while in warp in any show, not off the top of my head,thats allot of shows and episodes...and my memory aint what it used to be smokin'

But if you say they were ,i will take your word for it thumb up He's right. Torpedoes and phasers/disruptors have both been employed at warp in both the movies (ST:Nemesis, for example) and TNG-Voy. The Prometheus used weapons at warp and Voyager did the same against the Kazon. There are other instances, though these are the immediate examples that came to mind.

jaden101
Originally posted by starlock
I am almost positive they have been fired while in warp....torpedoes can not be fired while in warp.......Thats how most of the games are btw

they're fired rearwards at warp in Q-who are they not...when the borg are in pursuit of the enterprise?....

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=FXvi8uD8qYY&feature=related

Captain SEX
How often though is warp strafing used where a vehicle in warp firs on a sub light craft?

Acrosurge
Originally posted by Captain SEX
How often though is warp strafing used where a vehicle in warp firs on a sub light craft? That was fairly common during the original Star Trek. "The Ultimate Computer", "Balance of Terror" and "Elaan of Troyius", and ST:TMP all contain instances of FTL ships using weapons against sublight ships.

Captain SEX
That was fairly common during the original Star Trek. "The Ultimate Computer", "Balance of Terror" and "Elaan of Troyius", and ST:TMP all contain instances of FTL ships using weapons against sublight ships.

Yes, and we have not seen it at all since the original series. I am convinced this would give the Federation the edge of the Star Wars Galactic empire.

Acrosurge
Originally posted by Captain SEX
Yes, and we have not seen it at all since the original series. I am convinced this would give the Federation the edge of the Star Wars Galactic empire. It is an edge, no doubt, but do you think it is a definitive one?

In every instance of Warp Strafing in the original series, it was only done because the target ship was inhibited or unable to go to warp. I suppose that Warp Strafing wouldn't make much tactical difference against ships that can go FTL at a whim (which would be almost all the TNG ships onward). That might explain why we don't see it in the later series. It does not explain why the Klingons and the Dominion failed to use this technique against Ds9. Perhaps they would have been unable to deliver the bombardment necessary to penetrate the stations shields using only strafing techniques? We have only speculation.

HARRY MUDD
It is an edge, no doubt, but do you think it is a definitive one?

In every instance of Warp Strafing in the original series, it was only done because the target ship was inhibited or unable to go to warp. I suppose that Warp Strafing wouldn't make much tactical difference against ships that can go FTL at a whim (which would be almost all the TNG ships onward). That might explain why we don't see it in the later series. It does not explain why the Klingons and the Dominion failed to use this technique against Ds9. Perhaps they would have been unable to deliver the bombardment necessary to penetrate the stations shields using only strafing techniques? We have only speculation.

A combination of warp and temporal torpedoes should do the trick.

Acrosurge
Originally posted by HARRY MUDD
A combination of warp and temporal torpedoes should do the trick. Chroniton Torpedoes are pretty broken. Nothing like totally bypassing the shields and armor of your enemy! big grin

HARRY MUDD
Chroniton Torpedoes are pretty broken. Nothing like totally bypassing the shields and armor of your enemy! big grin

I think Star Wars is defeated.

HARRY MUDD
They may have much faster FTl than Trek but, they do not fight at multiples of C and have no time tech.

Acrosurge
They may have much faster FTl than Trek but, they do not fight at multiples of C and have no time tech. But they do have teh turb01zrs!!!1111 eek!

I beg your pardon. I'm done now. *securely chains inner fangeek*

HARRY MUDD
But they do have teh turb01zrs!!!1111 eek!

I beg your pardon. I'm done now.

But we have no evidence teh turbolasers can hit a ftl object. I remember getting banned from a forum for saying that.

Acrosurge
But we have no evidence teh turbolasers can hit a ftl object. I remember getting banned from a forum for saying that. Doesn't matter! Turb01zrs FTW!1!!111

Darn fangeek! *very heavily sedates and securely chains inner fangeek*

HARRY MUDD
Doesn't matter! Turb01zrs FTW!1!!111

Darn fangeek! *very heavily sedates and securely chains inner fangeek*

The name is hilarious isn't it "Turbo laser" 1010101010

Jbill311
01001001 00100000 01110100 01101000 01101001 01101110 01101011 00100000 01110110 01101111 01111001 01100001 01100111 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110101 01110011 01100101 01100100 00100000 01101001 01110100 00100000 01110100 01101111 01101111 00101110

use this site:
http://www.paulschou.com/tools/xlate/

jaden101
hahaha...that's ace...^^

Doctor-Alvis
I honestly can't remember any instances of ships firing any kind of beam weapons while in warp though I wouldn't be surprised if there are some.

Raoul
Originally posted by Doctor-Alvis
I honestly can't remember any instances of ships firing any kind of beam weapons while in warp though I wouldn't be surprised if there are some.

voyager had a couple... message in a bottle, with the prometheus class ship, is the most obvious one...

of course phasers arent supposed to work at warp, but star trek seems content to break that rule enough...

Acrosurge
Originally posted by Raoul
voyager had a couple... message in a bottle, with the prometheus class ship, is the most obvious one...

of course phasers arent supposed to work at warp, but star trek seems content to break that rule enough... They explain it away by generating a "subspace jacket" around the phaser blast.

Problems with physics? Use subspace.

Symmetric Chaos
They explain it away by generating a "subspace jacket" around the phaser blast.

Or tachyons.

Raoul
They explain it away by generating a "subspace jacket" around the phaser blast.

when was that?

Acrosurge
Originally posted by Raoul
when was that? DS9 tech manual, methinks, which puts it into "not quite canon" territory. Still, its as good an explanation as any, especially since there are too many instances of phasers at warp to pass it off as writer error.

Raoul
DS9 tech manual, methinks, which puts it into "not quite canon" territory. Still, its as good an explanation as any, especially since there are too many instances of phasers at warp to pass it off as writer error.

true, true...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.