Ironman

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

FistOfThe North
"Ironman" features Downey as billionaire arms designer Tony Stark, a boozy womanizer who builds a high-tech suit and becomes a superhero, mending his ways after he's taken captive and sees firsthand the devastation his weapons cause.

"Iron Man" was the 10th biggest opening of all time and the fourth biggest for a superhero movie. Among nonsequels, it came in behind only the first "Spider-Man," which premiered with $114.8 million.

Yahoo.com

I saw "Ironman". It was a cool watch. It had some really nice and flashy eye candy visuals. I thought it had too much dialogue almost nearing that of "Hulk". I would've like to have seen more action. But when it was happening, most the action was kick ass, though.

Would've been nice if a more well known traditional villain played the part ( like Mandarin) but i guess that's for the unseemingly apparent sequel.

I don't think i'd put this on my top 5 best Marvel flicks. But it's in my top 10.

I loved Starks smug yet cool and sarcastic 'tude.

7.5/10

Xplosive
It was ok.
6/10

fredstawill
awesome 8/10 not 6/10 ur a freak wat u expect it 2 be lord of the rings?

Xplosive
Originally posted by fredstawill
awesome 8/10 not 6/10 ur a freak wat u expect it 2 be lord of the rings?

Because I didn't like it much as you, I am a freak?
Did I expect LOTR, no, because I already knew it won't be good as any LOTR.
I never liked Iron Man much, his character, his feats, he was always ok to me.
I didn't even want to watch in the cinema. When I saw the trailer, I said no way I will watch it in cinema.
Then I saw reviews, which were amazing, by critics and audience (comic and non comic fans).
I said it to myself, I must see it. I even wanted to see in the morning alone yesterday. But still didn't want to raise expectation for the movie. We know that can ruin the movie.
But my friend said he will go with me (he doesn't know anything about Iron Man, except that he is a Marvel character, of course because of me. I explained him a little about him, who he is, but not much, so that he sees the film with pretty much no background).
To movie itself is almost perfect adaption of Iron Man. And that was the problem, I said also from comic, he was always only ok to me, so the movie itself was really good comic adaption, that is why it still remained only ok for me.
Action was good, but was never close at the edge of my seat. There are movie with far better action sequences in my opinion.
The writing was good, but again, I just never found his character to like.

My friend also gave it 6/10. He didn't find it anything special.

ScarletSpeed
9 out of 10 for me

it is in my top 5 favourite Superhero movies maybe even the top 3 smile

brainchild81
I liked it a lot. Heard about Tony appearing in the Hulk movie?

P23
i got it on bootleg and i believe this is the best adaption for a iron man movie. i give it a 7 out of 10. i was worried about r.downey.jr playing stark but he pulled it off perfectly

ScarletSpeed
Originally posted by brainchild81

Yeah I Heard about that...

I like how they are tying everything together...if you stayed to the end of the Iron Man credits you will know what I mean shiftyeek!

Evangel94
Iron Man was a great movie. Solid 9 out of 10

brainchild81
Originally posted by ScarletSpeed
Yeah I Heard about that...

I like how they are tying everything together...if you stayed to the end of the Iron Man credits you will know what I mean shiftyeek! I did. It was awesome!!!

BruceSkywalker

Iron Man is excellent exceptional movie. Great performances all around. I've known for a while that Robert Downey, jr filmed a scene for the Hulk. Marvel is slowly, but surely laying the groundwork for the Avengers movie which will come out in 3 to 5 years.

Loved Sam Jackson at the end

Also Thor is introduced in Iron Man 2

Zeitgeist
Ironman, as far as comic films go, was great.

IMO, it was exactly portrayed how a comic film (at least, for the first in the series), should be portrayed. True, there wasn't a ton of action, but that's necessary when you have to establish a cast of characters that have a ton of comics to adhere to. The movie accurately (again, IMO) portrayed Stark's technical genius, his morals and values, while still showing his fun, playboy billionaire side. And again, establishing a well known villain is to build up a whole 'nother character, on the same weighting level as the MC, and subtract from the rest of the substance. We still had our nefarious villain, we still had our end fight scene, but we didn't need to waste time confusing the audience with Mandarin's discovery of alien tech while simulatenously watching Tony's progression to superherodom. It's this that cut Green Golin down to a mediocre power ranger and that made Venom a confusing glob of meteor slime.

I'll comment more later.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by P23
i was worried about r.downey.jr playing stark but he pulled it off perfectly

I always thought comic book Tony Starks was more conservative than Robert D. Jr.'s portrayal of the character.

Arcarsenal
It was good. Nothing more. ermm

SpaceMonkey
Awesome movie. Solid 9/10 for me.

Kal of Krypton
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
"Ironman" features Downey as billionaire arms designer Tony Stark, a boozy womanizer who builds a high-tech suit and becomes a superhero, mending his ways after he's taken captive and sees firsthand the devastation his weapons cause.

"Iron Man" was the 10th biggest opening of all time and the fourth biggest for a superhero movie. Among nonsequels, it came in behind only the first "Spider-Man," which premiered with $114.8 million.

Yahoo.com

I saw "Ironman". It was a cool watch. It had some really nice and flashy eye candy visuals. I thought it had too much dialogue almost nearing that of "Hulk". I would've like to have seen more action. But when it was happening, most the action was kick ass, though.

Would've been nice if a more well known traditional villain played the part ( like Mandarin) but i guess that's for the unseemingly apparent sequel.

I don't think i'd put this on my top 5 best Marvel flicks. But it's in my top 10.

I loved Starks smug yet cool and sarcastic 'tude.

7.5/10 I believe that theyre is 3 threads on this, lol.

The movie was decent, I think they gave too much away in the trailers for it, really left no surprise but the absolute end.

In the comic books, was'nt IronMan, supposed to be Tony's "body guard" though (as an alibi)?

I dont think SJ fits the part at all, that 40 seconds didnt really raise my hopes for Nick Fury.

ScarletSpeed
I did. It was awesome!!!

Orgasmic, eh ?laughing out loud

Can't wait no expression.

batmanfan136
9/10 was awesome god in my top 5 superhero movies

ScarletSpeed
Originally posted by batmanfan136
9/10 was awesome god in my top 5 superhero movies

Yeah me too, I think it could even be in my top 3.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Kal of Krypton
I dont think SJ fits the part at all, that 40 seconds didnt really raise my hopes for Nick Fury.

Have you seen UltimateNickFury at all?

shksprtx
My two cents worth:

Downey Jr. was brilliant as Stark. Bridges was brilliant as Stane. Although I was disappointed that Rhodes didn't go to Gary Dourdain (of CSI fame) I thought that Terrence Howard (sp?) was perfect. Gwyneth Paltrow didn't bother me as much as she usually does. Even Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury was good casting...he was, after all, the model for the Ultimate version of that particular character, and I've noticed that recent Marvel movies seem to be drawing partial inspiration from the Ultimate universe.

The CGI was slick, the designs were perfect, and if the action moved rather slowly, it is because Favreau fully intends this to be a trilogy, and the first installment in any trilogy has to bear the burden of exposition.

I like the way everything was handled, including the updating of Stark's accident and captivity from Vietnam to Afghanistan.

Having said that, my only concern was this: Stark is supposed to be a brilliant engineer, and good engineers design redundancy into EVERY system. Thus, why did Tony not have a spare of his most recent arc reactor? Having to use the old one to power the suit for the final fight seemed contrived.

Other than that, I thought the movie was spot-on. Granted, Iron Man has always been one of my favorite Marvel heroes (I like the idea of the smart guy with no superhuman powers who uses his brains and technology to do what he does), so I might be biased. But there you have it. I plan on seeing this again.

stickman618
i loved this movie

i was a bit worried when i found out that Robert Downey Jr. was gonna be Stark, but after watching the movie i say he pulled it off perfectly.

jcvaldez
Iron Man is currently the best comic book movie of all time.

It's better than all of the spiderman movies and all the Xmen movies.
Better than Batman Begins (and i loved Batman Begins)
The BEST.

The movie had an equal amount of drama, comedy, dialogue, and action.

Iron Monger was the best choice as the first villian because it help enforce that changes Tony Stark made to his life were the right choices.

Iron Man is #1 on my list.

jcvaldez
I wanted to add some more thoughts about Iron Man and how great it was....

It was the most acurate of all the comic book movies. The only real difference was the location of where Tony Stark was held captive (he was originally captured and held in Vietnam)

Iron Monger was the best choice as the first villian because it help enforce the changes Tony Stark made to his life were the right choices. Also it would have to complicated to introduce the villain Mandarin, Iron Monger was a great choice because it followed the flow and tempo of the movie. Mandarin would have disrupted that tempo.

I felt that Iron Man had everything that other comic book movies lacked. Specifically a great director and great actors. The story was flawless and the effects were amazing.

Iron Man is so far the best comic book movie... well see how The Dark Knight does.

Darth Creasy
Three way tie with Batman Begins and Spiderman as the greatest comic movies of all time. The movie did $100 million it's first weekend. ONE HUNDRED MILLION DOLLARS! Bananas...

Madvillain
Haven't seen it yet, but it's rated higher than Spider-Man 2 was, which is hard to believe.

http://uk.rottentomatoes.com/m/iron_man/

Soljer
Originally posted by Madvillain
Haven't seen it yet, but it's rated higher than Spider-Man 2 was, which is hard to believe.

I don't find it too hard to believe. It's easily one of the best comic book films ever made.

stickman618
Originally posted by jcvaldez
I wanted to add some more thoughts about Iron Man and how great it was....

It was the most acurate of all the comic book movies. The only real difference was the location of where Tony Stark was held captive (he was originally captured and held in Vietnam)

Iron Monger was the best choice as the first villian because it help enforce the changes Tony Stark made to his life were the right choices. Also it would have to complicated to introduce the villain Mandarin, Iron Monger was a great choice because it followed the flow and tempo of the movie. Mandarin would have disrupted that tempo.

I felt that Iron Man had everything that other comic book movies lacked. Specifically a great director and great actors. The story was flawless and the effects were amazing.

Iron Man is so far the best comic book movie... well see how The Dark Knight does.

well, Vietnam is no longer a war-zone so that's understandable

and the people who kidnapped him have something to do with Mandarin, their name "The Ten Rings" is a dead give away, and he might be the villain for the next movie(i just wonder how they're gonna explain his powers)

it was a great movie, but i wouldn't say it was better than X2

and for those who haven't seen it... stick around until after all of the credits

Kal of Krypton
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos

Hate all Ultimates. They should of cast him as a white guy, with brown hair, and white streaks going down the side, kinda like HOW EVERYBODY RECOGNIZES HIM!

Xplosive
Originally posted by Madvillain

It isn't higher rated by critics. Iron Man is at 94%, Spider-Man 2 has 93%, but the rating of Iron Man is 7.6 by critics, while Spider-Man has 8.2.

I wasn't impressed by either of them. 6/10 to both of them.
As a movie, X2 is the best Marvel film.

ssj_naraku
Hate all Ultimates. They should of cast him as a white guy, with brown hair, and white streaks going down the side, kinda like HOW EVERYBODY RECOGNIZES HIM!

They tried and this is what you got
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k8/ssj_naraku/N_Fury.jpg

Symmetric Chaos

That happens to look really stupid in live action. How can you dislike Ultimates anyway?

Ivalice
BTW were there more references to the mandarin? They keep showing that huge ring upclose on that bald headed terrorist and he mentioned something about a man that could rule all of asia with that suit.

nimbus006
Originally posted by shksprtx

Having said that, my only concern was this: Stark is supposed to be a brilliant engineer, and good engineers design redundancy into EVERY system. Thus, why did Tony not have a spare of his most recent arc reactor? Having to use the old one to power the suit for the final fight seemed contrived.

It's called dramatic effect. smile

Im sure for the second movie he'll have about 25 five of them laying around.

Great comments by the way, you had some very good points throughout your review.

brainchild81
Originally posted by ssj_naraku
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k8/ssj_naraku/N_Fury.jpg hysterical Exactly. Cast my vote for Samuel L. Jackson

Kal of Krypton
Originally posted by ssj_naraku
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k8/ssj_naraku/N_Fury.jpg Personally I think that would of been better then SJ.Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
That happens to look really stupid in live action. How can you dislike Ultimates anyway? Idk, I just dont like the new stuff, it all looks the same, everybody looks lean and younge, just never got into it.

SnakeEyes

All of the Ultimates comics done by Miller/Hitch were some of the best comics I've ever read. I don't understand how you can hate them.

Blax_Hydralisk
Originally posted by Xplosive
As a movie, X2 is the best Marvel film.

no expression

crylaugh

no

Xplosive
Originally posted by Blax_Hydralisk
no expression

crylaugh

no

Iron Man surely isn't.

Kal of Krypton
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
All of the Ultimates comics done by Miller/Hitch were some of the best comics I've ever read. I don't understand how you can hate them. I dont understand how you like them, different opinions I guess.

Eternal Idol
Gary Sinise would've made a great Nick Fury, I think. Hell, Lieutenant Dan in Forrest Gump had the same feel as Fury. I like Samuel Jackson's acting, but the guy's in damned near everything.

jcvaldez
Iron Man is the Best Marvel Movie yet! Better than Spiderman, better than Xman 2, the best!

ScarletSpeed

Yeah the ultimate one had to be based on him...they are too like each other.

ScarletSpeed
Iron Man is the Best Marvel Movie yet! Better than Spiderman, better than Xman 2, the best!

Agreedsmile

FistOfThe North
"Ironman" as the best comic book movie ever? whoa. If anyones going by financial numbers in concert with saying that is bonkers.

Ironman wasn't all that spectacular, as everyone's making it out to be. People act like it was the second coming of comic book movies.

Imo, Spiderman 1 was better. "Xmen 3: The last stand" was way better than Ironman. Blade was better too. And i'll tell you that i even enjoyed superman returns much more than i did ironman. Batman Begins is definitely way better than ironman. And The Dark Knight;s gonna sh*t all over it. Maybe not financially but comicbook movie wise, lol. C'mon. You can't beat a brand spanking new friken Batman summer movie with him and the Joker going at it for 2008. Think about it. Ironman vS Iron monger - or Batman vS the Joker. The latter will always be the highlight. In fact, that battle is probably the top 3 most greatest battles in comic book history out of many hundreds of battles, ever. While Ironman vs Iron monger is probably way at the bottom.

Arahan
xmen 3??? no just no. xmen 3 and spiderman 3 wanted me to destroy all copys aof the movies.

stickman618
X3 sucked balls
1&2 were way better

in terms of which is gonna be more iconic, Batman vs. Joker wins hands down, and The Dark Knight probably will be better than Ironman, but Ironman was still a great movie

Ironman is NOT better than X-men 2... but still good though

stickman618
Originally posted by Ivalice
BTW were there more references to the mandarin? They keep showing that huge ring upclose on that bald headed terrorist and he mentioned something about a man that could rule all of asia with that suit.

the name of the terrorist group who kidnapped him is "The Ten Rings".... i wonder why? roll eyes (sarcastic)

brainchild81
And i'll tell you that i even enjoyed superman returns much more than i did ironman. laughing out loud Insanity. IM delivered. SR was a waste of film. All he did was pick stuff up. I'd have been better off watching a weightlifting contest. Singer should stop riding Donner's nuts & make an original film. X3 also sucked.

As for Dark Knight being better, I'll do the smart thing & wait 'til it is released to decide.

ScarletSpeed
"Ironman" as the best comic book movie ever? whoa. If anyones going by financial numbers in concert with saying that is bonkers.

Ironman wasn't all that spectacular, as everyone's making it out to be. People act like it was the second coming of comic book movies.

Imo, Spiderman 1 was better. "Xmen 3: The last stand" was way better than Ironman. Blade was better too. And i'll tell you that i even enjoyed superman returns much more than i did ironman. Batman Begins is definitely way better than ironman. And The Dark Knight;s gonna sh*t all over it. Maybe not financially but comicbook movie wise, lol. C'mon. You can't beat a brand spanking new friken Batman summer movie with him and the Joker going at it for 2008. Think about it. Ironman vS Iron monger - or Batman vS the Joker. The latter will always be the highlight. In fact, that battle is probably the top 3 most greatest battles in comic book history out of many hundreds of battles, ever. While Ironman vs Iron monger is probably way at the bottom.

No one said it was the best comic movie ever. WHOA!

We think it's the best MARVEL Movie, Batman and Superman are DC.

try reading the post you are replying to before you go on one of your rants.

jcvaldez

Ok first off you need to read what other people wrote before you make a comment... no one said it the best comic book movie ever. in fact i said it's the best comic book movie yet (meaning Batman TDK might be better, i don't know) and to say the the fight between Batman and joker is going to be better that Iron man vs Iron Monger... we have to wait to see the movie first. As a matter of fact, there's has been a lot of talk that Batman TDK is going to revovle around Two Face more.

Iron Man is the best Marvel movie so far... It has everything better - Script, Acting, Directing, Cinematography, Story, everything better.
I think a lot of people here are saying other movies are better because they are bias to a character the prefer over another. I mean my favorite comic is X Men but i don't think any the movie is better than Iron Man. My favorite character is Batman but again Iron Man as a movie is so far the best in my opinion.

Xplosive
Iron Man is the best Marvel movie so far... It has everything better - Script, Acting, Directing, Cinematography, Story, everything better.

In your opinion. In my, I liked pretty much almost any Marvel movie more than Iron Man. Iron Man wasn't bad though. It was ok.

The final battle in Iron Man was a joke tough.

ScarletSpeed
Ok first off you need to read what other people wrote before you make a comment... no one said it the best comic book movie ever. in fact i said it's the best comic book movie yet (meaning Batman TDK might be better, i don't know) and to say the the fight between Batman and joker is going to be better that Iron man vs Iron Monger... we have to wait to see the movie first. As a matter of fact, there's has been a lot of talk that Batman TDK is going to revovle around Two Face more.

I think a lot of people here are saying other movies are better because they are bias to a character the prefer over another. I mean my favorite comic is X Men but i don't think any the movie is better than Iron Man. My favorite character is Batman but again Iron Man as a movie is so far the best in my opinion.

It's all good...I had yo back smokin'

jcvaldez
Thanks buddy! I guess we're the smart ones... LOL! rock smart smart laughing

Symmetric Chaos

What a ridiculous way to measure quality.

jcvaldez
What a ridiculous way to measure quality.

Yeah, just because a movie made a lot of money doesn't mean crap. Come really great movies did poorly at the theaters but did great on dvd.

ScarletSpeed
Thanks buddy! I guess we're the smart ones... LOL! rock smart smart laughing

smokin'

The reason IronMan done so poorly was because it was released the same week as GTA4. If all the GTA freaks weren't in their houses 24 hours a day getting severe thumb cramp, they would have probably went to see it.hence, the better it would have done.

jcvaldez
Iron Man didn't do poorly... it made $104.2 million, sure it could have made more if like you said "all the GTA freaks weren't in their houses 24 hours a day getting severe thumb cramp", but it still did good. By the way I hate GTA. mad sick

ScarletSpeed
Iron Man didn't do poorly... it made $104.2 million, sure it could have made more if like you said "all the GTA freaks weren't in their houses 24 hours a day getting severe thumb cramp", but it still did good. By the way I hate GTA. mad sick

Oh I know it didn't do poorly...Dunno why I said that laughing out loud I meant why it didn't do as good as other comic movies.

Yeah Damn those GTA loverslaughing out loud

I haven't played it yet so I can't judgelaughing out loud

(I liked San Andreas)

Symmetric Chaos

$200 million. There's more to the world than the US.

ScarletSpeed
$200 million. There's more to the world than the US.

How much did Spider-Man make?

Symmetric Chaos
How much did Spider-Man make?

$800 million globally. A little over $400 million in the US/Canada market.

That's over 15 weeks though.

jcvaldez
Spiderman made $114,844,116 opening day, it grossed $821,708,551 worldwide after.

ScarletSpeed
well who could expect Iron Man to live up to that ?laughing

FistOfThe North
smokin'

The reason IronMan done so poorly was because it was released the same week as GTA4. If all the GTA freaks weren't in their houses 24 hours a day getting severe thumb cramp, they would have probably went to see it.hence, the better it would have done.

All? Not entirely true. I purchased GTA4 the day it came out, and i play it alot but I also saw Ironman when it first came out, as well.

stickman618
how do you think they're gonna explain Mandarin's powers in the next movie(if they are indeed gonna put him in the next one)??

alien tech. or that he made the rings himself??

shksprtx
Originally posted by nimbus006
Great comments by the way, you had some very good points throughout your review.

Thanks! I've always dreamed of being a professional film critic (with my background in Theatre, it's do-able), but have never really had the time or money to see enough movies on a regular basis to become a correspondent for sites like Rotten Tomatoes and Ain't It Cool...which is easily the best way for a budding reviewer to build a portfolio...

As far as the redundancy thing, I think you're right. Favreau has apparently stated that for the sequel, he wants to streamline the dressing-out process for the armor, and you can bet that Tony will have a few spare parts (don't wanna give too much away) laying around, just in case.

Also, apparently Thor will make an appearance in the next Iron Man movie, at least if you believe what's posted on Wikipedia...this will apparently be part of Marvel's setup for the Avengers flick...

stickman618
i don't know if the mix of magic and technology will translate well on film

i think they should stick to the science

and don't always trust wikipedia

and now there's the possibility of the Marvel movie-verse, with the whole Avengers set up, and Robert Downey Jr. is said to appear in the next Hulk movie as Tony Stark(i'm so glad they're re-doing that movie), so those two are definitely connected,

i personally feel that Blade should be left out of the Marvel movie-verse, 'cos it's like, there's mutants, and then there's vampires? it seems weird to put them together... for me anywayz

SelinaAndBruce
Saw it. Pretty good movie. Iron Man is just not my type of hero but I definitely enjoyed the movie.

Darth Vegas
This movie shattered my expectations both as an Iron Man fan and a superhero movie enthusiast.

A solid 9/10.

Kazenji
Originally posted by stickman618

i personally feel that Blade should be left out of the Marvel movie-verse, 'cos it's like, there's mutants, and then there's vampires? it seems weird to put them together... for me anywayz

And Stark is in neither group.

BruceSkywalker
As of today Iron Man has made $177 million domestically and a total of $276 million worldwide. I see Iron Man crossing the $200 million mark by thursday.

Mr Parker
I give this movie a 9 out of 10.Easily by far the best marvel comicbook movie ever made by leaps and bounds. Happy Dance Robert Downey Jr was amazing in his role as Tony Stark.Thank god they went with him instead of Tom Cruise like they were initially talking about.Cruise would have ruined the film for me.To give you an idea of how much I loved this film,before IRONAMAN came out a week ago,FANTASTIC FOUR 2 rise of the silver surfer was my favorite marvel comicbook movie made.But this movie is 10x's better than that movie easily.Its got to be the funniest comicbook movie ever made.I have seen it twice now and both times,the audiences were rolling in the chairs with laughter.great special effects and great scenery.I just found out recently,that it was the first marvel comicbook movie that was funded by marvel,where the other comicbook movies made in the past were by movie studios.It all makes sense now WHY this is the first really great marvel comicbook movie thats been made.glad to see that they are finally learning from their mistakes in the past.Better late than never.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
As of today Iron Man has made $177 million domestically and a total of $276 million worldwide. I see Iron Man crossing the $200 million mark by thursday.

I give Iron Man 10/10 rating

Mr Parker
Originally posted by SelinaAndBruce
Saw it. Pretty good movie. Iron Man is just not my type of hero but I definitely enjoyed the movie.

yeah same here.

Mr Parker
Iron Man is currently the best comic book movie of all time.

It's better than all of the spiderman movies and all the Xmen movies.
Better than Batman Begins (and i loved Batman Begins)
The BEST.

The movie had an equal amount of drama, comedy, dialogue, and action.

Iron Monger was the best choice as the first villian because it help enforce that changes Tony Stark made to his life were the right choices.

Iron Man is #1 on my list.

Well its DEFINETLY by far the best MARVEL comicbook movie ever made.By leaps and bounds it is.Thats a no brainer.no contest.The only thing I disagree with you on is that its better than Batman Begins and thats probably because Batman is my second favorite comicbook character and since its the one and only Batman movie that does the comics justice and the only Batman film that shouldnt be burned.Never have been into Ironman,otherwise i would probably agree with you on that as well.For me,I rank it behind the first two superman movies with chris reeve and Batman Begins as my favorite comicbook movies. yeah your so right,it had everything,drama,comedy,great dialogue,and action.could not have asked for antyhing more. thumb up

roughrider
This is definitely Marvel's equivalent of Batman Begins. Both have much in common - including the fact that while watching you forget it's based on a comic because it feels so real (are you listening Frank Miller? stick out tongue )

Iron Man gets 9 out of 10. thumb up

I wondered about the release date of Captain America & the Avengers movies in 2011 - then I remembered; it's Marvel's 50th Anniversary! Good timing.

stickman618
really?? cool

they better use the original actors from the original movies if, or should i say when, they they do this whole movie crossover thing

i always thought that X3 was stupid for showing Angel's back story when he has so little to do with the movie, but maybe they'll put him in Avengers... who knows

stickman618
-edit

Endless Mike
I just saw this movie, it was great, probably better than Spider-Man 3 and 1 (but not 2) and all of the X-Men movies

shksprtx
Originally posted by roughrider
while watching you forget it's based on a comic because it feels so real (are you listening Frank Miller? stick out tongue )

I may be in the minority, but I liked Sin City and 300 precisely because, stylistically, I was reminded that I was watching an adaptation of a comic book/graphic novel...

I did, however, really like the realism in Iron Man

stickman618
Originally posted by Endless Mike
I just saw this movie, it was great, probably better than Spider-Man 3 and 1 (but not 2) and all of the X-Men movies

alot of movies are better than Spider-man 3 sadly

roughrider
I may be in the minority, but I liked Sin City and 300 precisely because, stylistically, I was reminded that I was watching an adaptation of a comic book/graphic novel...

I did, however, really like the realism in Iron Man

I don't begrudge the style of Sin City & 300 that much - I love both comics, but I was a bigger fan of the 300 movie. It's just seeing the teaser for The Spirit - being directed by Frank Miller - and I'm seeing the same style AGAIN. He's looking like a one-trick-pony in the movie world.

brainchild81
I don't care. He hasn't put out a bad movie yet. Frank rules!!!!!!Originally posted by stickman618
alot of movies are better than Spider-man 3 sadly Sad but true. Venom v. Spidey is a movie in itself. You don't need to add anymore people to the mix.

Mr Parker

Dude,go back and read your post on page two.YOU said it was the best comicbook movie ever made.However,your the only one that has said that here, so you still have a point that he is not reading the posts of everybody before posting since most people here are saying its the best MARVEL comicbook movie they have seen not best COMICBOOK movie.

Mr Parker

Yeah thats a no brainer.No contest whatsoever.Its 10x's better than any MARVEL comicbook movie made to date.Here that Fist? except for jcvaldez,who DID say it on the second page if you look back,most of us are saying its the best MARVEL comicbook movie ever made.NOT the best comicbook movie made. you understand? good.Like others said,you really need to read what others post before posting.their ENTIRE posts,not just parts of it.

ScarletSpeed
I don't begrudge the style of Sin City & 300 that much - I love both comics, but I was a bigger fan of the 300 movie. It's just seeing the teaser for The Spirit - being directed by Frank Miller - and I'm seeing the same style AGAIN. He's looking like a one-trick-pony in the movie world.

That is his style though...just like all Tarentinos movies have the same style...just like every film maker.

And why would they not make the movies that style? that is the style of the Novel, so why change it?, at least he has the brains to keep the movies as close to the Graphic Novels as possible.

roughrider
That is his style though...just like all Tarentinos movies have the same style...just like every film maker.

And why would they not make the movies that style? that is the style of the Novel, so why change it?, at least he has the brains to keep the movies as close to the Graphic Novels as possible.

Even so, he should do it in the illustrative style of Will Eisner - not Frank Miller drawing Will Eisner's The Spirit. Eisner may have been an inspiration for Miller, but their styles weren't exact.
I'd like to see Miller work in a real location for a change, instead of messing around on a green-screen stage and making a walking graphic novel as his only trick.

shksprtx
I'd like to see Miller work in a real location for a change, instead of messing around on a green-screen stage and making a walking graphic novel as his only trick.

Remember that the sum total of Miller's film experience so far is Sin City and 300. He's going with what he's comfortable with...but yeah, it sounds like he might be developing into a one-trick pony...

jcvaldez
You know, it seems to me that some people who do not think that Iron Man is the best comic book movie so far is because they like another character better.

What I mean is, that some people prefer Spiderman over Iron Man as a character so they become loyal to the movie.
My favorite character is Batman, but I honestly have to say that Iron Man was better than Batman Begins.
Now, I'm not saying that everyone has to agree with me. Everyone has their opinion. But, I watched Iron Man again and it has to be the most correct comic book to movie so far. I don't count 300, Sin City, or V for Vendetta because those were graphic novels.

Alucard25
Well I loved it and I enjoyed it far more than any other comic movie so I guess to me its the best.Its already made 342 million.

Endrict Nuul
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=470755&pagenumber=25

Check out top post by AC, the picture has Cap's Shield in it right behind Ironman's left armpit.

WOOT!!!!

stickman618
doesn't look like a shield to me erm

shksprtx
Originally posted by Endrict Nuul
Check out top post by AC, the picture has Cap's Shield in it right behind Ironman's left armpit.

WOOT!!!!

It's a streetlamp.

Mr Parker
You know, it seems to me that some people who do not think that Iron Man is the best comic book movie so far is because they like another character better.

What I mean is, that some people prefer Spiderman over Iron Man as a character so they become loyal to the movie.
My favorite character is Batman, but I honestly have to say that Iron Man was better than Batman Begins.
Now, I'm not saying that everyone has to agree with me. Everyone has their opinion. But, I watched Iron Man again and it has to be the most correct comic book to movie so far. I don't count 300, Sin City, or V for Vendetta because those were graphic novels.

yeah you cant count those because like you said,their graphic novels.Thats a good point.I love Batman as a character far more so than I do Superman.I never could get into Superman.But Superman the movie and Superman II remain in a tie as my favorite comicbook movie ever. I like them just slightly better than Batman Begins. From the previews of what I have seen of The Dark Knight,that may change though.It looks like its going to be even better than Batman Begins.

starlock
I loved the movie, its one of the best i.m.o.....some great moments and very little to nag about thumb up

Mr Parker
yeah theres very little at all to nag about on the Ironman movie. thumb up

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by starlock
I loved the movie, its one of the best i.m.o.....some great moments and very little to nag about thumb up

Excellent words

stickman618
i agree, no complaints

at first i thought, oh no!! Robert Downey Jr. is playing Ironman, then i thought, it might be too long

but all doubts were removed after watching this movie

Mr. Sandman
Anybody know exactly which comic issues the Movie was based off of?

Im not reading this whole thread to find out.

roughrider
Originally posted by Mr. Sandman
Anybody know exactly which comic issues the Movie was based off of?

Im not reading this whole thread to find out.

They're using the basic origin story from the 1960's ( updating the captivity story from Vietnam to Afghanistan), and using some of the period of late 1970's to mid 1980's - the period when James Rhodes and Obidiah Stane were introduced. No strict storyline has been adapted.

brainchild81
And they're using the recent storyline where he made his identity public

stickman618
how long did he keep his identity a secret??

i mean, a smart man could easily conclude that Tony Stark is Iron Man

who can afford to make that stuff?
who has the skills to build that stuff?
and also, who else is that same height?

all you need are these questions to conclude that Tony Stark is Iron Man, same deal with Batman, but that's comics for ya i guess

K3VIL

all you need are these questions to conclude that Tony Stark is Iron Man, same deal with Batman, but that's comics for ya i guess
IM has always been known to general public as the bodybuard of Tony Stark, while Batman is a vigilante.Yeah considering Stark is the builder of the armor, reaching the conclusion that he's his own bodyguard ain't that hard, but Batman just doesn't fit with Bruce Wayne's playboy appearence.They are two different persona into one body.

stickman618
oh, ok

i didn't know that whole body guard thing

it's cool tho how they incorporated that into the movie,

roughrider

He's used dodges in the past - like getting Rhodey to impersonate being him on TV (using Max Headroom tech to CG his face onto Rhodey's body) while giving a public demonstration of the armour for consumers. That one was right after he finished with the silver centurion armour.

What was even harder to believe was that up to the 1990's, he could carry all the armour in a briefcase, saying as 'electro-magnetized chain mail' it could flatten out.

stickman618
i think i remember that from the cartoon

grey fox
DVD release date ?

stickman618
here's what happened

i was watching Spider-man 2 and when it comes to the part where they're thinking about names for Doc. Oc, the guy suggests Doctor Strange, but JJJ says it's taken

another character to appear in the Avengers movie perhaps?

Doctor-Alvis
Maybe. That was probably just a fun little reference for the fans though.

Mr. Sandman
They're using the basic origin story from the 1960's ( updating the captivity story from Vietnam to Afghanistan), and using some of the period of late 1970's to mid 1980's - the period when James Rhodes and Obidiah Stane were introduced. No strict storyline has been adapted.

That's what was throwing me off. Because I never remembered any arc reactor from the originals, and he never made his identity public until recently, and Nick Fury wasn't black as Sammy J until the Ultimates.

Mr. Sandman
here's what happened

i was watching Spider-man 2 and when it comes to the part where they're thinking about names for Doc. Oc, the guy suggests Doctor Strange, but JJJ says it's taken

another character to appear in the Avengers movie perhaps?

No, Dr. Strange is getting his own movie.

roughrider
That's what was throwing me off. Because I never remembered any arc reactor from the originals, and he never made his identity public until recently, and Nick Fury wasn't black as Sammy J until the Ultimates.

They rarely use a known storyline when it's the first film. It's all about the origin story. When it gets to the second film & onwards, they might start looking for some famous arcs - like 'God Loves, Man Kills' for X2, the Phoenix & the Cure storylines for X3, the Galactus story for FF2 & so on.

stickman618
No, Dr. Strange is getting his own movie.

even better

but i did a little research and it's been being postponed since the late 80's

hopefully it comes out in the next 2-3 years

CaptainStoic
Iron Man's Repulsors Set on The Mandarin for Sequel

With the Incredible Hulk tracking surprisingly well and threatening to smash Iron Man's box office records next weekend, director Jon Favreau is keeping Tony Stark and company in the news by hinting at the plot of the Iron Man sequel.

When the original film made mention of the terrorist organization The 10 Rings, it was a clear reference to Marvel history and the alien artifacts The Mandarin discovered before beginning his career of oppression and supervillainy. It seemed like a pretty obvious clue from Favreau and his writers that Iron Man's arch-nemesis would appear in a sequel.

Now, with the director saying he needs "heavy duty, heavyweight bad guys" to confront Iron Man in the next film, Mandarin seems all but a lock. There's no mention of casting yet for the Far Eastern troublemaker, but that will have to break soon, as Robert Downey Jr. will be ready to begin filming in the golden titanium suit again when he finishes the Hugh Hefner biography he's working on now.

By John Scott Lewinski

FistOfThe North
Ironman's director was that lawyer dude from the "Daredevil" movie. He was Matt's close friend in the movie.

BruceSkywalker
Ironman's director was that lawyer dude from the "Daredevil" movie. He was Matt's close friend in the movie.

AND...

FistOfThe North
Just some useless trivia..

BruceSkywalker
Iron Man 2 starts filming next March. It will be released 2010,April 30.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/ironmannews.php?id=7311

shksprtx

He also had a brief role in Ironman (playing Happy Hogan), making him, as far as I can tell, the first person besides Stan Lee to have had different roles in more than one Marvel Comics-based film...

Although if anyone knows of any other names to add to that list, be my guest...

stickman618
there was an asian guy who played one of Doc. Ock's assistants in Spider-Man2, and he also played a soldier in the Hulk

willRules
He also had a brief role in Ironman (playing Happy Hogan), making him, as far as I can tell, the first person besides Stan Lee to have had different roles in more than one Marvel Comics-based film...

Although if anyone knows of any other names to add to that list, be my guest...

Apparently Tony Stark appears in the Hulk and is played by the same guy. Plus if the rumours are true then we could see these actors together in an Avengers movie!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.