What defines who we really are ?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Atlantis001
What do you think defines who we really are ?

I am refering to what we really are independently of our personal judgment and thoughts of ourselves(i.e the way we view ourselves, or what we think we are).

Is there a empirical way to define that or it is a pure metaphysical thing ?

I was thinking by defining who we really are perhaps through behavior or something like that, but then it came the idea that our thougths and judgment of our self, that what we think we are can influence our behavior and attitudes. So maybe we can't define who we are based on that.

Give me your thoughts. How do you see an idea of a self completely independent of our thoughts and judgment ?

King of Blades
extreme situations. Odd to think this way, but it's the moments that hit us so fast and hard, moments that don't give us a moment to breath let alone think; it is in these periods in our existence that our true colors shine.

Deja~vu
Originally posted by Atlantis001

I am refering to what we really are independently of our personal judgment and thoughts of ourselves(i.e the way we view ourselves, or what we think we are).

I was thinking by defining who we really are perhaps through behavior or something like that, but then it came the idea that our thougths and judgment of our self, that what we think we are can influence our behavior and attitudes. So maybe we can't define who we are based on that.

Give me your thoughts. How do you see an idea of a self completely independent of our thoughts and judgment ? Our thoughts and how we view others on this planet. What comes out is what is really inside.

ragesRemorse
stuff...,definitely how much stuff you obtain.

DigiMark007
BIG QUESTION

...no objective answer.

...as these things usually go.

If you believe in a soul and/or God, you might have a definitive answer for this. Even then it's an individual opinion. Otherwise, no, to answer your question, empirical results toward this is out of the question.

It's like trying to make a "greatness" rating for life, then saying you're an 87.5 on the greatness scale. Awesome to think about (don't think I haven't tried) but not practical in any objective way.

Dr. Leg Lock
Originally posted by Atlantis001

Give me your thoughts. How do you see an idea of a self completely independent of our thoughts and judgment ? $

High Priest
we are just dog all on a lead that what defines who we really are

Phantom Zone
Originally posted by King of Blades
extreme situations. Odd to think this way, but it's the moments that hit us so fast and hard, moments that don't give us a moment to breath let alone think; it is in these periods in our existence that our true colors shine.

chithappens
Originally posted by DigiMark007
BIG QUESTION

...no objective answer.

...as these things usually go.

If you believe in a soul and/or God, you might have a definitive answer for this. Even then it's an individual opinion. Otherwise, no, to answer your question, empirical results toward this is out of the question.

It's like trying to make a "greatness" rating for life, then saying you're an 87.5 on the greatness scale. Awesome to think about (don't think I haven't tried) but not practical in any objective way.

I'm sick of you beating me to everything stick out tongue

DigiMark007
Originally posted by chithappens
I'm sick of you beating me to everything stick out tongue

Which is why I'm an 87.5 on the greatness scale and you're a lowly 65.3

stick out tongue

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.