Should you marry someone who politically and religiously different than you?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

=Tired Hiker=
Do you think having the same political and religious beliefs are important to a successful marriage? Is it bad for a very liberal person to spend a lifetime with someone who is very conservative? Should atheists only marry atheists? Or do opposites attract, and if they do, can you really depend on that as a solid foundation for a long lasting relationship?

Bardock42
Originally posted by =Tired Hiker=
Do you think having the same political and religious beliefs are important to a successful marriage? Is it bad for a very liberal person to spend a lifetime with someone who is very conservative? Should atheists only marry atheists? Or do opposites attract, and if they do, can you really depend on that as a solid foundation for a long lasting relationship? It depends on many other factors. Of course the politically and religiously different view can be a big minus (or a small one depending on your preference), but there are other issues to be considered too. I guess if you are in love with the person, you probably already realized that you like that person a lot regardless of their convictions in those fields. It can be a probolem, but doesn't have to.

JacopeX
"Should you"?

I say it does not really matter. I mean, my girlfriend is Buddhist and I am catholic. However, it really makes no difference at all opinion wise. wink

As for marrying, I don't really understand how a marriage can take place. I mean, each religion has its traditions of a wedding which contradicts the other religion if taken part of it. Therefore, I don't think it would really work. But it (relationship) can work out definentely.

Political opinion? laughing

GCG
This subject cannot be pivotal on a marriage. I thought marriage was about accepting the other with all the good and bad stuff.

Bardock42
Originally posted by GCG
This subject cannot be pivotal on a marriage. I thought marriage was about accepting the other with all the good and bad stuff. To some extend. Obviously people that hate each other shouldn't "accept the other" so far as to marry each other.

ragesRemorse
I believe it depends on the priorities of the individual's. Religion, to most people is the most important aspect of their life. In this case, i believe one should find another to Marry whom at the very least shares similar spiritual beliefs.

I feel the same should be applied to political values. Personally, i'm not a very political person. If need be, i can immerse myself in the current double speak coming out of Washington. On the other hand, i can usually go with the flow and not give much of a damn, as i am more interested in spirituality and human behavior than i am in economics and the societal direction. I do know, however, i could not be with someone who is extreme in their political beliefs one way or the other. considering this, i would have to assume that if i were a more serious Republican. A republican who devoted much free time and focus to arguing with those pesky liberals. I doubt i could tolerate the most heated debates that would arise from a communication breakdown in politics with my wife.

But, this is all coming from a guy that doesnt date a girl with a conflicting taste in movies, so...,what do i know? stick out tongue

dadudemon
Depends on the person. Some people are more compatible than others. Some people are nicer than others. Some people are more accepting of others.

What is important is to speak each other's "love language". What is important is to communicate concerns and compromise. What is important is to continue to love each other.

"Love" is not an abstract concept or word only. Love is also a verb! It is very much possible for complete opposites to attract IF each person can do all of the above. Perseverance, understanding, and patience are all necessary virtues for a successful marriage.

Having different and strong political beliefs makes for much better conversation. Where other couples do a:

Wife: "hey, how's your day been?"
Husband: "Good, boring at work..but good. What about yours?"
Wife: "I went shopping with Sarah and I paid the bills..nothing else though."

politically contrasted couples can debate politics in a RESPECTFUL manner. It can be very very fun and can make you better friends. Being best friends with your spouse is not a bad thing and I recommend it.

Religious beliefs, however, can get in the way. This is a toughy. If one of you is a devote Jew, there ain't gettin' married until you both are lighting 9 candles. If you want to marry a devote LDS women, you had better be a Mormon yourself...etc.etc.

Even that can be gotten around through mutual acceptance.

Though, on top of all of it...it is sooooo much easier if the couple has in common political and religious beliefs.

Deja~vu
NO. Not unless there is an understanding of open-es first. Also an understanding that with time and knowledge people change. If they can understand that, then there could be a wonderful relationship.

DigiMark007
Gotta say, I've seen it done both ways, and also experienced similar and opposite belief systems with people I've dated. It can work when the two are diametrically opposed, but it helps like hell to be similar.

dadudemon
Originally posted by DigiMark007
Gotta say, I've seen it done both ways, and also experienced similar and opposite belief systems with people I've dated. It can work when the two are diametrically opposed, but it helps like hell to be similar.

You mean like "heaven". shifty

Devil King
I would venture the opinion that such a question hinges on the experience of being maried for a number of years, despite differences of religious or political proclivity, as well as being married for a short amount of time because those differences were the deciding factor in such a short relationship. So perhaps an internet forum composed primarily of unmarried men and teenage girls wold not be the best place to present such a question.

are you thinking of popping the question TH?

Bardock42
Originally posted by Devil King
I would venture the opinion that such a question hinges on the experience of being maried for a number of years, despite differences of religious or political proclivity, as well as being married for a short amount of time because those differences were the deciding factor in such a short relationship. So perhaps an internet forum composed primarily of unmarried men and teenage girls wold not be the best place to present such a question.

are you thinking of popping the question TH? He's married, I believe.

Robtard
Do you think having the same political and religious beliefs are important to a successful marriage? Is it bad for a very liberal person to spend a lifetime with someone who is very conservative? Should atheists only marry atheists? Or do opposites attract, and if they do, can you really depend on that as a solid foundation for a long lasting relationship?

I don't think it really matters unless one or both are extreme in one or more of those views and they're married to a polar opposite, e.g. Evangelical married to a die-hard atheist. Though I doubt that marriage would have happened in the first place, I've heard of relationships going sour because one person becomes religious and the other doesn't follow after the relationship happens.

Robtard
Originally posted by JacopeX

As for marrying, I don't really understand how a marriage can take place. I mean, each religion has its traditions of a wedding which contradicts the other religion if taken part of it. Therefore, I don't think it would really work. But it (relationship) can work out definentely.

Troglodyte, you've never heard of a hybrid-ceramony?

I've been to a Hindu-Christian wedding.

DigiMark007
Originally posted by dadudemon
You mean like "heaven". shifty

No, hell.

crackers

Kelly_Bean
As far as political views my boyfriend and I are both the same (Don't give a flying fvck) but when it comes to religion we're nearly opposite. I'm Catholic, he's Agnostic but it does not collide with our relationship. He can believe what he wants to while I will believe what I want to, this does not need to be brought in between us in our relationship.

Robtard
Crazy-white-*****, please. Catholics are religious for one hour a weekend.

McLovin
Originally posted by Robtard

Yeah, you know they come after the whine.

GCG
You mean only those that make it to Sunday Mass right cause i thought you were generalizing there a bit

Robtard
Originally posted by GCG
You mean only those that make it to Sunday Mass right cause i thought you were generalizing there a bit

Muslims move (probably on camel-back) around all day with thoughts on Allah constantly in their head. Catholics only think of God come Sunday, from the time they start moaning because they have to go to mass and it doesn't end until they're done feeling guilty, dropped their loose change in the poor orphans jar, eaten the cracker and left. Fact, son.

GCG
Those are the lost sheep sonny boy.

Robtard
Then you better hire a new ****ing shepard, cuz there are a lot of lost sheep.

Devil King
I've heard of relationships going sour because one person becomes religious and the other doesn't follow.

And shouldn't that address the divisive nature of religion in relatinships, or general existence? Basically, when you see that side-effect, it's because one spouse is confused as to what the hel happened to the other once they were warped by the sudden insanity that comes from the presence of religous idiocy.

dadudemon
And shouldn't that address the divisive nature of religion in relatinships, or general existence? Basically, when you see that side-effect, it's because one spouse is confused as to what the hel happened to the other once they were warped by the sudden insanity that comes from the presence of religous idiocy.

Such anti-theistic cynicism, however, it is unfortunately justified.

Rogue Jedi
Do you think having the same political and religious beliefs are important to a successful marriage? Is it bad for a very liberal person to spend a lifetime with someone who is very conservative? Should atheists only marry atheists? Or do opposites attract, and if they do, can you really depend on that as a solid foundation for a long lasting relationship? If a Christian marries a Catholic, for example, things can probably be worked out. It really depends on the dissimilarity.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
If a Christian marries a Catholic, for example, things can probably be worked out. It really depends on the dissimilarity. If a Christian would marry a Catholic, everything could be really swell, since, in all likelyhood, the Christian happens to be a Catholic.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by Bardock42
If a Christian would marry a Catholic, everything could be really swell, since, in all likelyhood, the Christian happens to be a Catholic. oops....I meant to say like a Southern Baptist and a Catholic.

Devil King
When my grandmother was first married, she converted from being a Catholic to being a Protestant. My mother converted twice; from being a protestant to being a Catholic and then to Lutheran. Religion is horribly disposbale based on situation.

Alpha Centauri
I don't think anyone should ever marry, but if you're gonna, shouldn't matter what they believe or who they vote for really.

Unless it's THAT conflicted with your morals. Although, if it was, you'd likely not even be at that stage.

-AC

Robtard
When you play the rebel, it makes me hard, just saying.

Bicnarok
Everyone in the world is unique, different than everyone else. Any who considers themselves boxed into some religious or political group is blind.

In a relationship its a case of give and take, learn to tolerate each otehrs differences.

JacopeX
To some extend. Obviously people that hate each other shouldn't "accept the other" so far as to marry each other. thumb up

leonheartmm
if you love em{and hopefully they love you too} than sure. it is silly to hate INDIVIDUALS on their beleifs, unless their negetive beleifs make such a huge part of their mental and practical existance that you can no longer see a significant part of their SELF which is seperated from it.

GCG
Then you better hire a new ****ing shepard, cuz there are a lot of lost sheep.

Still cannot generalise. You should differentiate between pracitcing and unpracticing ones ones for the obvious reasons. That goes goes for all religions. The nishers dont speak for the any religious practitioners.

Symmetric Chaos
Everyone should marry people like themselves in order to retain inellectual and racial purity!!!!!1

But seriously if two people actually form a relationship that has lead to plans for marriage clearly there is no problem about their religious differences. Depending on what and how strongly the two believe it would be much more likely for the relationship to never form in the first place.

~Wålshy~
Then you better hire a new ****ing shepard, cuz there are a lot of lost sheep. awehuh

Victor Von Doom
Should you marry?

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
Should you marry?

In many places there is a tax benefit.

=Tired Hiker=
I would venture the opinion that such a question hinges on the experience of being maried for a number of years, despite differences of religious or political proclivity, as well as being married for a short amount of time because those differences were the deciding factor in such a short relationship. So perhaps an Internet forum composed primarily of unmarried men and teenage girls wold not be the best place to present such a question.

are you thinking of popping the question TH?

There are quite a few married people and people who have been married on this Internet forum, and several of them have responded to this thread. This is the General Discussion Forum and I thought it would be a good topic for us to generally discuss. If I had issues deciding whether or not I should marry someone because of her religious and political views, I wouldn't present such a question on any Internet forum. I'd probably talk to a marriage counselor.

I'm already happily married by the way to someone who indeed has different religious and political views. My wife is Christian, I'm basically agnostic. My wife votes Republican, I vote Democrat (only because a Green Party Vote is basically a waste of a vote.) My wife is my best friend and we do indeed get into it over ass hats like Bill O'Reilly who she LOVES and I think is the devil himself. When we say grace at the dinner table, I sometimes say, "Dear God, if you exist, please bless us . . . blah blah blah." That one really irks her.

Overall, we get along great and just accept the others differences.

Storm
Every marriage will have some stumbling blocks, but spouses with politically and/or religiously opposed views might just have a few extra challenges.

chillmeistergen
I would say that it matters most how much your political opinions etc mean to you. There are people who have them because they have a keen interest in politics and are fascinated by it, then there are those who have political opinions because they feel they have to.

dadudemon
I would venture the opinion that such a question hinges on the experience of being maried for a number of years, despite differences of religious or political proclivity, as well as being married for a short amount of time because those differences were the deciding factor in such a short relationship.

Also, I would like to add that one does not have to have a heterosexual "marriage" to contribute. I would say just about any long term relationship qualifies. Had a girlfriend/boyfriend for six months or more?...sounds good enough to me.

Robtard
Originally posted by Storm
Every marriage will have some stumbling blocks, but spouses with politically and/or religiously opposed views might just have a few extra challenges.

That sounded like something that came in a crappy-tasting cookie, after I finished my chicken chow mein.

red g jacks
agreeing all the time is boring

i dont like pointless drama

but i like a little conflict to spice things up

shes a chatholic he's a protestant, she's a jew he's a palestinian, she's a black woman he's a black man...

dont sue me chris

Alpha Centauri
Sounds like she needs to shut her mouth.

I hate chatholics.

-AC

=Tired Hiker=
I agree with AC on this one. Anyone addicted to chatting is friggin' annoying.

Impediment
I'm a staunch atheist and my wife is Southern Baptist Christian, and we have never let this get in the way of our relationship. We never force our beliefs on one another. It's a respect thing.

Deja~vu
So, how are you going to raise your children? Having different and conflicting beliefs is what does a relationship in, in many cases.

Are they gonna be worm food, or are they going to go to heaven with their mom. Are they going to look down on dad? Are they going to try to save him? How are they going to vote?

Or will you do the smart thing?

chillmeistergen
Originally posted by Deja~vu
So, how are you going to raise your children? Having different and conflicting beliefs is what does a relationship in, in many cases.

Are they gonna be worm food, or are they going to go to heaven with their mom. Are they going to look down on dad? Are they going to try to save him? How are they going to vote?

Given what his post said, it looks like they're going to do the most sensible thing and let their children make their own minds up.

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
In many places there is a tax benefit.

Romantic ain't it.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
Romantic ain't it.

Yeah . . .

Deja~vu
Originally posted by chillmeistergen
Given what his post said, it looks like they're going to do the most sensible thing and let their children make their own minds up. He didn't say that. Everything changes when a childs eternity comes into view...It just does.

lil bitchiness
Political and religious differences are as important in relationship as they are to the said person or people.

If religion makes a huge part of ones life and that differs drastically or affects the other person's beliefs or norms, than it is better steered clear of.

On the other hand, you wouldn't really be in a relationship with a person you really differ from on fundamentals.

My boyfriend is a Catholic, but since religion is his personal and own, it does not interfre with my beliefs or our relationship nor the ideas on how we would raise children, it presents no problem whatsoever.

Equally, I would probably not marry a Muslim since we would most probably differ on many fundamentals on ordinary life and raising of children. Plus, my family might get a heart attack if i ever did consider.

Deja~vu
You'd be surprised. Many couples don't discuss such things because they are soooooooooooo in love...........HAHAHAHAHAHa

=Tired Hiker=

I was raised Catholic. When I was twelve, my mom let me decide from that point on if I wanted to go to Church or not. I stopped going every weekend because I thought it was boring and I just wasn't buying it. I did go once in a while with my mom because it meant a lot to her when I did. So, I did it for dear old mom. She may not agree with my religious views, but we never even talk about it, we respect each other's opinions and beliefs and we still have a great relationship. She basically did the smart thing by letting me decide what I wanted to do, as is what my wife and I will do for our little Hikers.

Deja~vu
I was raised Catholic. When I was twelve, my mom let me decide from that point on if I wanted to go to Church or not. I stopped going every weekend because I thought it was boring and I just wasn't buying it. I did go once in a while with my mom because it meant a lot to her when I did. So, I did it for dear old mom. She may not agree with my religious views, but we never even talk about it, we respect each other's opinions and beliefs and we still have a great relationship. She basically did the smart thing by letting me decide what I wanted to do, as is what my wife and I will do for our little Hikers. That is very smart of her, though not in HER best interest of her childerns eternal life. What about your dad and his views and comments to you about yours or your mothers beliefs?

Impediment

Define "the smart thing".

We will, most certainly, expose our child to our beliefs at the right age and inform her in an educated an non-biased manner.

I give less than a shit about "voting". It's not like it matters, anyway.

Given what his post said, it looks like they're going to do the most sensible thing and let their children make their own minds up.

Thank you, sir. My thoughts exactly.

He didn't say that. Everything changes when a childs eternity comes into view...It just does.

Judging from your posts, you seem to be a Christian. You're looking at this in a biased manner. Come talk to me when you choose to debate in an otherwise manner.

Deja~vu
The smart thing is teaching them to make their own choices not upon either of your beliefs, but to come to their own conclusions. It seems that your beliefs are to oppositional and that will come into play once you have children.. Things change after that...it does.

Well, your observations are wrong! I lived through this scenario myself.

I wish you luck in the future.

Impediment
The smart thing is teaching them to make their own choices not upon either of your beliefs, but to come to their own conclusions. It seems that your beliefs are to oppositional and that will come into play once you have children.. Things change after that...it does.

"It does". Spoken so eloquently and from an educated point of view. If you read my above post, in which I actually agreed with chillmeister, you would be informed that I said EXACTLY what you just said. I plan to inform my child of my beliefs and her mother's beliefs in a non-biased and educated manner. Then we will let her explore her options and let her come to her own conclusions.

Well, your observations are wrong! I lived through this scenario myself.

I wish you luck in the future.

If, in fact, you're not a Christian, then what religion do you subscribe to that offers "eternal afterlife" as opposed to "worm food"?

I don't need "your luck", since it seems to be uneducated, uninformed and biased. I would offer you my sympathies, but I'm not going to waste my effort.

GCG

=Tired Hiker=
That is very smart of her, though not in HER best interest of her childerns eternal life. What about your dad and his views and comments to you about yours or your mothers beliefs?

You are coming from he standpoint of a religious extremist. My mother's standpoint was not so imposing. What was she to do, force me to be a Catholic? Force me to believe that if I don't believe in Jesus Christ I will go to hell? In my opinion that leads to even worse problems.

As far as my Dad goes, he never was really into Church. I probably have the same views as he does. We never actually talk about it because it does not matter to us.

Deja~vu
Then you are a very intelligent and fore sighting man. Congrads. You are on the right track, IMO

If, in fact, you're not a Christian, then what religion do you subscribe to that offers "eternal afterlife" as opposed to "worm food"?

I am only stating some, though not, an athiest view as compaired to a very STRONG Baptist VIEW. ..Don't fool yourself..when kids come along..things take a turn as to what they should be raised as. If you two can come to terms with this, then that is really great. On the other hand, in strong Baptist views, it certainly will come out. I have learned my experience as did by others in my own boat.

Intensified ??

chillmeistergen
Then you are a very intelligent and fore sighting man. Congrads. You are on the right track, IMO

I am only stating some, though not, an athiest view as compaired to a very STRONG Baptist VIEW. ..Don't fool yourself..when kids come along..things take a turn as to what they should be raised as. If you two can come to terms with this, then that is really great. On the other hand, in strong Baptist views, it certainly will come out. I have learned my experience as did by others in my own boat.

It can be done and is by many.

Deja~vu
Once you have children, are they gonna do the Baptist thing of emersion and speaking in toungues to be saved? Will you understand their ignorace and how would you handle that know that they love you with all their hearts according to teir mother.............TO SAVE YOU.

Well, if she really isn't a great believer in it all, then you might just have a chance with them....Sorry for being so blunt.

chillmeistergen
Once you have children, are they gonna do the Baptist thing of emersion and speaking in toungues to be saved? Will you understand their ignorace and how would you handle that know that they love you with all their hearts according to teir mother.............TO SAVE YOU.

Well, if she really isn't a great believer in it all, then you might just have a chance with them....Sorry for being so blunt.

I can't really make sense of what you're tying to say.

=Tired Hiker=

I don't think you need to apologize to people who do not share your extremist views.

Symmetric Chaos

He's saying that the idea of a middle ground is totally beyond his capacity.

Impediment

Thank you. Or is that sarcasm?

What you need to understand is that we have already "come to terms" with our situation. I'll never force my beliefs down my daughter's throat. Nor will her mother do the same. I had the Christian belief force-fed to me my whole life, in the most extremist way, I might add. That's the contributing factor as to why I'm an atheist. Am I anti-Christian, you ask? No. I am not. I'm better than that. Is my wife anti-atheism? Again, no. It's all a matter of boundaries, if you ask me.

Deja~vu
I was not being sarcastic....

Glad you have an intuitive and foreseeing handle on that. It's a very big determination on how a marriage would weather.

Impediment
Then, again, I thank you. I foresee my marriage as a long and happy one with a productive household that will incorporate understanding and tolerance.

Deja~vu
Exceptions are nice to hear of. happy

dadudemon
Originally posted by Impediment
I foresee my marriage as a long and happy one with a productive household that will incorporate understanding and tolerance.

ZOMG!!!! He's has precognition abilities from the force!!!! http://forums.snapstream.com/vb/images/smilies/bowdown.gif

Impediment
Do or do not. There is no try.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Impediment
Do or do not. There is no try.

LOL...its gonna suck for your kid/s when they try to sneak out, you will foresee it. 313

Impediment
I'll be the angry dad with the shotgun. yes

Bardock42
Bill O'Reilly who she LOVE

HOLY SHIT....that's where I'd draw the line.

Seriously though, it depends. If she makes you happy it doesn't really matter what she votes. If, what she votes, gets in the way of that though, it's a problem.

Victor Von Doom

Welcome to the club.

(Organisms)

leonheartmm
love CAN "POSSIBLY" overcome all.

=Tired Hiker=
HOLY SHIT....that's where I'd draw the line.

Seriously though, it depends. If she makes you happy it doesn't really matter what she votes. If, what she votes, gets in the way of that though, it's a problem.

We have great arguments over that ass, Bill O'reilly. It doesn't make us hate eachother. It's quite fun.

Deja~vu
Originally posted by leonheartmm
love CAN "POSSIBLY" overcome all. But it takes two. With two it may be possible, but not with one, and they both must be open minded and respectful of the others thoughts on subjects.

Kelly_Bean
Oh shutup. hanuts

=Tired Hiker=
Originally posted by Kelly_Bean
Oh shutup. hanuts

Kelly, this is not the OTF, please try to be a little more professional when posting here.

dadudemon
Kelly, this is not the OTF, please try to be a little more professional when posting here.

laughing

Kelly_Bean
You're just mad because I refused your rimjob last night, R-Tard.

arkenemis1114
hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

heru

I believe that true love prevails over feeble obstacles like politics and religion, or for any other obstacle for that matter. Love is a powerful force that haves know boundaries, and when two people feel this way for one another they will find a way to be together even if it means death to a opposing party.

=Tired Hiker=
You're just mad because I refused your rimjob last night, R-Tard.

Oh, that was you?

Kelly_Bean
Oh, that was you?
awesome

Stop taking this thread off topic.

=Tired Hiker=
I see what you did there.

Deja~vu
In the US the statics, I have heard are 65 percent of marriages end in divorce as compared to a 50/50 chance not long ago. This crosses religious lines.

Kelly_Bean
In the US the statics, I have heard are 65 percent of marriages end in divorce as compared to a 50/50 chance not long ago. This crosses religious lines.
Not disagreeing but you really have no proof of this.

chillmeistergen

What do you mean crosses religious lines? Is it time for baptist pay back?

Deja~vu
Only lawyers on such cases with their BAR journals, Kelly. (American Bar Association.)

I mean that religious and political views along with money set backs contribute highly.

chillmeistergen
I mean that religious and political views along with money set backs contribute highly.

So what? Why does it matter if people get divorced? It's their lives.

Deja~vu
What's your point to me? I really don't care about it.

BlackSunshine
I am a Baptist Christian, raised in Pentecost religion. My husband is an atheist. As far as politics go, neither one of us really care about it. So, IMO, I see no problem if you marry someone with different religious/political background than yourself.

=Tired Hiker=

No, it just shows that more and more people care less about extreme religious views.

Kelly_Bean
Only lawyers on such cases with their BAR journals, Kelly. (American Bar Association.)

I find that hard to believe, actually.

That and you cannot go door to door to these men/women who are divorced and ask them what the real reasoning for their divorce was.

It's not impossible that the cause(s) of divorce is religion but it's more than likely something else.

Robtard
I find that hard to believe, actually.

That and you cannot go door to door to these men/women who are divorced and ask them what the real reasoning for their divorce was.

It's not impossible that the cause(s) of divorce is religion but it's more than likely something else.

Don't worry, she has no real idea why other people divorce, as people divorce for a myriad of reasons. Though their are court records and those records do state the reason for the divorce, I can imagine the majority of people who divorce because of conflicting religious views merely state "irreconcilable differences" and not "religion".

Kelly_Bean
Don't worry, she has no real idea why other people divorce, as people divorce for a myriad of reasons. Though their are court records and those records do state the reason for the divorce, I can imagine the majority of people who divorce because of conflicting religious views merely state "irreconcilable differences" and not "religion".
Nor could I.

Again, possible, but highly unlikely.

dadudemon
I read somewhere that the #1 reason for divorce is money realted.

#2 is sex related. (adultery, porn, no sex..etc.)

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/35097/top_reasons_people_divorce.html

http://www.articleclick.com/Article/The-Top-10-Reasons-for-Divorce/918786

lord xyz
Let me make this clear, as crystal clear as I can say it.

THE BIBLE NEVER SAID "MONEY IS THE ROOT OF ALL EVIL" IT INFACT STATES "THE LOVE OF MONEY IS THE ROOT OF ALL EVIL" and Matthew 10:6 says "You cannot worship 2 lords...you cannot worship your god and your money" (mostly word for word).

Greed is also one of the 7 deadly sins.

Robtard
So the O'jays did get it right.

and it's Tim, not Matt, and the numbers are flipped.

Da Pittman
Do you think having the same political and religious beliefs are important to a successful marriage? Is it bad for a very liberal person to spend a lifetime with someone who is very conservative? Should atheists only marry atheists? Or do opposites attract, and if they do, can you really depend on that as a solid foundation for a long lasting relationship? My wife is Catholic so I would say no

WrathfulDwarf

My dad is half jewish and my mom was a catholic. I was the product of their love.

So, there is your answer. angel

Rogue Jedi
Thats an interesting way of putting it. laughing out loud

Strangelove
Do you think having the same political and religious beliefs are important to a successful marriage? Is it bad for a very liberal person to spend a lifetime with someone who is very conservative? Should atheists only marry atheists? Or do opposites attract, and if they do, can you really depend on that as a solid foundation for a long lasting relationship? As Paula Abdul and MC Skat Kat have taught us, opposites attract.

http://thumbnail.image.rakuten.co.jp/@0_gold/rdownload/img/610000000/album/20070530/al0000152683_large.jpg

Strangelove
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
My dad is half jewish and my mom was a catholic. I was the product of their love.

So, there is your answer. angel I'm the product of two Catholics; one politically conservative, the other moderate.

And I'm a gay liberal agnostic ermm

To really answer the question, I don't think I could have a real meaningful relationship if all we did was agree. Same for always bickering about things.

A happy medium would be my person o' choice.

chithappens
Originally posted by lord xyz
Let me make this clear, as crystal clear as I can say it.

THE BIBLE NEVER SAID "MONEY IS THE ROOT OF ALL EVIL" IT INFACT STATES "THE LOVE OF MONEY IS THE ROOT OF ALL EVIL" and Matthew 10:6 says "You cannot worship 2 lords...you cannot worship your god and your money" (mostly word for word).

Greed is also one of the 7 deadly sins.

You are pulling pubic hairs trying to make a difference in the two.

Money is an object, duh it can't be "evil" of itself. The things people will do to acquire money are what is called "evil."

Mix up a few words; it means the same thing.

chithappens
Originally posted by Strangelove
I'm the product of two Catholics; one politically conservative, the other moderate.

And I'm a gay liberal agnostic ermm

To really answer the question, I don't think I could have a real meaningful relationship if all we did was agree. Same for always bickering about things.

A happy medium would be my person o' choice.

You are a very rare case indeed.

I think that rural and urban areas have very different extremes of what is acceptable. That sort of difference is as critical as any other factor.

LilyMaree
Well I'm a Muslim mmm
But I'm not very religious. I don't pray, and ironically, I hate Muslim weddings (the way it's done, held, and the traditions). However, I do follow some Muslim "rules" in the Muslim bible, I believe there is a God, but I don't know which God to believe in. What does that make me? confused

For the Muslims, they say that we Muslims can't wed anyone non-Muslim unless they convert to Muslim. I would think it's pretty ridiculous, but to convert into a Muslim is pretty easy. Just gotta say a few Islamic words and boom, you're done, etc. But of course, it has to be done professionally.

In my opinion, I think that even though a couple each has different religion, and different views upon politics, it would somehow strengthen their relationship in a way.
You can discuss, learn more about each other, and it would be really interesting to know more. I honestly do think that there isn't a problem when it comes to marriage based on the question. However, sometimes one will have to be careful cause the other might be really religious and sensitive about the topic....

Enuf said awesome

chithappens
Wow, first time I heard a Muslim say that. Not a bad thing, I'm just surprised.

leonheartmm
love shud trancend idiotic boundries of many relegious beleifs. ofcourse problems can arise in such situations but if your love is stronger......

BackFire
shud?

Impediment
Originally posted by BackFire
shud?

Oh, since when have you been so anal about spelling?

Heh. Anal.

Alpha Centauri
love shud trancend idiotic boundries of many relegious beleifs. ofcourse problems can arise in such situations but if your love is stronger......

Love should "conquer" everything in "theory".

That includes unnecessary legal contracts and ceremonies.

-AC

leonheartmm
^agreed.

LilyMaree
Originally posted by chithappens
Wow, first time I heard a Muslim say that. Not a bad thing, I'm just surprised.

laughing out loud Yea, I know. My father scolds me BAD for even thinking about it haha.
But I need answers mmm

leonheartmm
^wont find em in islam trust me. dont stop searching just cause ur dad is close minded. smile . where do you live btw?

=Tired Hiker=
Originally posted by Strangelove
As Paula Abdul and MC Skat Kat have taught us, opposites attract.

http://thumbnail.image.rakuten.co.jp/@0_gold/rdownload/img/610000000/album/20070530/al0000152683_large.jpg laughing

LilyMaree
^wont find em in islam trust me. dont stop searching just cause ur dad is close minded. smile . where do you live btw?

Malaysia.

Juk3n

Some say Love is all important, a spark - some common intrest - if u marry the female version of yourself, and your child wants to express different views, being that you and your wife are so politically and religeiusly set, you will most likely forbid your child from expressing himself olitically and religeously.

Sorry i am bad at explaining things, but what i mean is this..

Parents who baptise their children - both mother and father feel the same way religeously a d immediatley the child is shown the direction in which he MUST, Nay, is not shown but forced in the parents way of thinking..this is always wrong - not the actual belief but the fact the child is not given a choice...Religion isabout a choice - not about extremities like Childhood baptism. imo.

So no, political views and religeious beliefs should be Conversational peices at most, each to thee own, you are 2 seperate people who will love eachother for that very reason..you like someone the way they are, or u don't..

-2 cents-

Strangelove
Do you think having the same political and religious beliefs are important to a successful marriage? Is it bad for a very liberal person to spend a lifetime with someone who is very conservative? Should atheists only marry atheists? Or do opposites attract, and if they do, can you really depend on that as a solid foundation for a long lasting relationship? It worked for James Carville and Mary Matalin.

DigiMark007
So I'm dating this girl and everything seems pretty great. She's a lapsed Christian who has beliefs but not strong ones, and knew I was an atheist since date #1.

So tonight she comes over to mooch some free pizza, then breaks up with me because I'm atheist. Apparently any other belief system would've been acceptable to her. Eye-opening, really, and a bit frustrating since she really could've wasted less of my time and money.

Regardless of whether or not you think it's a potential problem (I'm of the mind that it doesn't need to be, since you can expose children to your own beliefs and others without specifically raising them as anything, and also because I don't see disagreement in such matters as antagonistic toward an otherwise healthy relationship, merely as interesting discussion and natural disagreement that people have over a variety of issues) but the stigma that it is a problem certainly exists in many.

Deja~vu
Simple answer: No

queeq
How about sex? stick out tongue

percept
Marriage and love has no languages,no barriers no religion.If you really love the person and both of you are willing to compromise and sacrifice a bit for each other's benefit you shouldn't be waiting.

queeq
Marriage is hard works. Such differences can make it harder, especially when it comes down to raising children. It's idealistic to think love conquers all. I believe it can but love is damn hard work.

dadudemon
Originally posted by queeq
Marriage is hard works. Such differences can make it harder, especially when it comes down to raising children. It's idealistic to think love conquers all. I believe it can but love is damn hard work.

Do you have the credentials to back that up?

shifty

queeq
15 years of marriage, three kids... will that do?

dadudemon
15 years of marriage, three kids... will that do?

Yes...but that wasn't the point of my comment....I think you know that.

shifty

queeq
What else do you want?

chithappens
So I'm dating this girl and everything seems pretty great. She's a lapsed Christian who has beliefs but not strong ones, and knew I was an atheist since date #1.

So tonight she comes over to mooch some free pizza, then breaks up with me because I'm atheist. Apparently any other belief system would've been acceptable to her. Eye-opening, really, and a bit frustrating since she really could've wasted less of my time and money.

Regardless of whether or not you think it's a potential problem (I'm of the mind that it doesn't need to be, since you can expose children to your own beliefs and others without specifically raising them as anything, and also because I don't see disagreement in such matters as antagonistic toward an otherwise healthy relationship, merely as interesting discussion and natural disagreement that people have over a variety of issues) but the stigma that it is a problem certainly exists in many.

I've had that happen also. Pretty damn lame.

DigiMark007

True. You have my sympathies.

Once I realized that me saying this:
I'm of the mind that it doesn't need to be a problem, since you can expose children to your own beliefs and others without specifically raising them as anything, and also because I don't see disagreement in such matters as antagonistic toward an otherwise healthy relationship, merely as interesting discussion and natural disagreement that people have over a variety of issues
...wasn't going to save things, I cynically turned it into a sociological experiment to find out exactly what upset her so much and what beliefs/non-beliefs irked her.

I make no claims to having a stranglehold on the truth, but I'm fairly intellectually well-defended on my beliefs. She...wasn't. It amounted to a series of intuitive feelings that things "must be true." It ranged from Jesus and God to obscurity like karma, reincarnation, psychics, and Oijia (sic) boards. As I presented evidence against some of those (though, not to appear too vindictive, I didn't overtly challenge the "big" beliefs) she obstinately refused that I even had decent points. Her stalwart faith in pretty much anything paranormal was in itself enough (in her mind) to debunk rational arguments. Fundamentalism. Just in a different guise than the normally religion-specific fundamentalism we see.

So basically, she freaked because I "believed nothing" (her words, not mine). I believe plenty of things, I told her, they just all have a rational foundation to them. Then I ended with an eloquent (imo) defense of a scientific worldview than shuns potentially harmful dogmatism and faith for provisional truths based on evidence, and also how one can have and cherish beauty, love, tolerance, happiness, etc. outside of any transempirical beliefs. She had a headache, I don't think she listened at the time. I said it anyway.

Sucks because this is what I'll be dealing with. Not in this identical form, no doubt, but variations of it. And I shouldn't have to limit myself to an obscure percentage of the population simply because of my beliefs. I'm essentially the same happy, caring person as an atheist as I was as a Christian....and I don't discriminate based on a person's beliefs for the reasons stated earlier, and wish I could receive the same courtesy.

So basically, screw girls.

no expression

dadudemon

You have my sympathies, homie.

If a girl will break up with you for something like that, she prolly isn't that type you'd want to stay with...

Lemme guess...she was hot?

queeq
I found those credentials you asked for, dadumon. Quite a big box of papers, you wanna read it all?

dadudemon
I found those credentials you asked for, dadumon. Quite a big box of papers, you wanna read it all?

Lemme guess, birth certificates, marriage certificates, medial records for your children from over the years, bills from you wife spending your money, etc.

amirite?

shifty

queeq
No no... just fake references. I had them made.

DigiMark007
You have my sympathies, homie.

If a girl will break up with you for something like that, she prolly isn't that type you'd want to stay with...

Lemme guess...she was hot?

Well, yeah of course ( wink ), but the idea was that she knew my religious affiliation since the beginning and never let on any problems until just now (far enough in that wonder why it wasn't sooner)...and then it all came tumbling out. Until that point I honestly thought I'd found a casual religious person who wouldn't be bothered by such things.

leonheartmm
True. You have my sympathies.

Once I realized that me saying this:
I'm of the mind that it doesn't need to be a problem, since you can expose children to your own beliefs and others without specifically raising them as anything, and also because I don't see disagreement in such matters as antagonistic toward an otherwise healthy relationship, merely as interesting discussion and natural disagreement that people have over a variety of issues
...wasn't going to save things, I cynically turned it into a sociological experiment to find out exactly what upset her so much and what beliefs/non-beliefs irked her.

I make no claims to having a stranglehold on the truth, but I'm fairly intellectually well-defended on my beliefs. She...wasn't. It amounted to a series of intuitive feelings that things "must be true." It ranged from Jesus and God to obscurity like karma, reincarnation, psychics, and Oijia (sic) boards. As I presented evidence against some of those (though, not to appear too vindictive, I didn't overtly challenge the "big" beliefs) she obstinately refused that I even had decent points. Her stalwart faith in pretty much anything paranormal was in itself enough (in her mind) to debunk rational arguments. Fundamentalism. Just in a different guise than the normally religion-specific fundamentalism we see.

So basically, she freaked because I "believed nothing" (her words, not mine). I believe plenty of things, I told her, they just all have a rational foundation to them. Then I ended with an eloquent (imo) defense of a scientific worldview than shuns potentially harmful dogmatism and faith for provisional truths based on evidence, and also how one can have and cherish beauty, love, tolerance, happiness, etc. outside of any transempirical beliefs. She had a headache, I don't think she listened at the time. I said it anyway.

Sucks because this is what I'll be dealing with. Not in this identical form, no doubt, but variations of it. And I shouldn't have to limit myself to an obscure percentage of the population simply because of my beliefs. I'm essentially the same happy, caring person as an atheist as I was as a Christian....and I don't discriminate based on a person's beliefs for the reasons stated earlier, and wish I could receive the same courtesy.

no expression

happens. if you can, try and beleive that it will pass, because it usually does. it cud have been worse.

DigiMark007
happens. if you can, try and beleive that it will pass, because it usually does. it cud have been worse.

Oh, I don't go into existential angst or anything (I save that for legit breakups wink ). It's frustrating, but I'm as happy today as I was a week ago, so it's not really something that affects my long-term emotional stability.

Thank you though. I appreciate the kind words.

smile

dadudemon
No no... just fake references. I had them made.

laughing laughing laughing

There's that witty comeback I was talking about earlier.. laughing laughing laughing

Oh, I don't go into existential angst or anything (I save that for legit breakups wink ). It's frustrating, but I'm as happy today as I was a week ago, so it's not really something that affects my long-term emotional stability.

Thank you though. I appreciate the kind words.

smile

You've become somewhat of a favored member here because you respectfully debate others and try to keep an open mind. We're just makin' sure you ain't gonna slit your wrists tomorow. If you did, who's gonna tell me the strength difference between Colossus and The Thing while also being able to provide logical atheistic POVs?

DigiMark007
You've become somewhat of a favored member here because you respectfully debate others and try to keep an open mind.

woot

We're just makin' sure you ain't gonna slit your wrists tomorow.

No, don't worry. happy

tinkabear

If you did, who's gonna tell me the strength difference between Colossus and The Thing while also being able to provide logical atheistic POVs?

...damnit, you're right. No one else here can do that. I had no idea my niche was so important.

Though to answer the question, I loathe the filthy mutie bastards and was never an FF buff. That's one comic topic I'm actually probably not qualified to answer.

embarrasment

Deja~vu
How about sex? stick out tongue Possibly.

Robtard

Are you sure it wasn't because she she suddenly found out you were black?

Robtard

no expression

Here's what you do. Call her back, tell her you thought about it long and hard and she's right, believing in nothing is wrong and you now are a agnostic with Christian tendencies, you can't stand not being with her, blah, blah, blah etc. Don't rush it to quickly, but get her into your bed and **** the granny out of her. Afterwards, that is after you've cummed, kick her ass out of bed and tell her she's a filthy whore.

leonheartmm
^not a nice thing to say or do.

DigiMark007
laughing out loud

Sorry, but I smiled a bit. Obviously saying something like that and actually doing it are two different things, and I'm of the mind that if one realizes that it's very wrong and doesn't legitimately consider it, it's not actually reprehensible.

Besides, she wasn't vindictive about it. Just naively close-minded. It's a fair chance that she's never actually been exposed to ideas so far out of her worldview. It speaks to the insular nature of our society as it pertains to religious communities and beliefs, but not to personal evil. I was frustrated but not angry.

Symmetric Chaos
This I get.

On the other hand unless she pressed you what possible motivation was there for this part?
At the very least get something (sex, a nice ouija board, a half dozen sandwiches) out of the relationship before you start trying to dismantle her belief system.

DigiMark007
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
This I get.

On the other hand unless she pressed you what possible motivation was there for this part?

At the very least get something (sex, a nice ouija board, a half dozen sandwiches) out of the relationship before you start trying to dismantle her belief system.

Well, it was clearly over so there was nothing more to "get of of it." The conversation was purely for intellectual curiosity at that point.

And I didn't force the issue. She brought up that it was a problem for her and I asked, quite sincerely, what some of the things were that she believed and what bothered her about my beliefs. From there, the discussion followed naturally. And the dismantling was entirely unintentional....we'd be discussing a topic, I'd have a bunch of reasons for my views, and she'd have few, if any, beyond an intuitive feeling that it was true. And like I said, I stayed away from "big" stuff because, while frustrated, I wasn't intending a "parting shot" against her worldview.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>