Bioshock

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Vinny Valentine
It's been released that the director of Pirates of the Caribbean is turning Bioshock into an "R-rated" film. The Game was amazing, and I hope they don't screw up the movie. I do believe that if they put the right amount of effort into said movie, it could come out fantastic. But on the other hand, it could also come out completely and utterly terrible. I'm hoping for the better part wink.

I love Bioshock, and I hope the movie rocks. <3

vincent

H. S. 6
Sweet.

Any talk of a release date?

Vinny Valentine
Originally posted by H. S. 6
Sweet.

Any talk of a release date?

Haven't seen any dates yet. I would say 2010.

dadudemon
Awesome.

The game was great. I was thinking, right as the game started, that this would make a great movie.....

Awesome!

WrathfulDwarf
We'll see how this one goes...

Mairuzu
first person?

S_D_J
Originally posted by Mairuzu
first person?

Doom fear

Mairuzu
that was the best part of the movie ermm

Doom sucked

=Tired Hiker=
I've never heard of the game so I don't have any idea what this movie will be about, but I can't wait to see it!

Robtard
Hiker, here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bioshock

"Set in an alternative history 1960, the game places the player in the role of a plane crash survivor named Jack, who must explore the underwater Objectivist-dystopian city of Rapture, and survive attacks by the mutated beings and mechanical drones that populate it."

-

The "R" rating is a good start.

=Tired Hiker=
Thanks RT! That game sounds titz on Ritz.

Alpha Centauri
One day someone will remember to make something truly original.

-AC

=Tired Hiker=
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri

-AC

That's already been done.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by =Tired Hiker=
I've never heard of the game so I don't have any idea what this movie will be about, but I can't wait to see it!

enthusiasm RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ragesRemorse

-AC

Alpha, do you ever go to Starbucks?

=Tired Hiker=
Originally posted by ragesRemorse

He drives in reverse through the drive-thru . . . just to be original.

Alpha Centauri

Nope. Well, I've accompanied people there, because I know folks who do go there, and I'm not gonna just stand outside. I don't buy anything though.

-AC

=Tired Hiker=
Nope. Well, I've accompanied people there, because I know folks who do go there, and I'm not gonna just stand outside. I don't buy anything though.

-AC

We'll find something on you, AC. Oh yes . . . we will find something.

Alpha Centauri
And people say I'm unjustly arrogant when I talk like people have an interest in me.

Pfft, I say.

-AC

steverules
He wears womens underwear I have proof ha-son

I wear womens underwear, it feels nice on my skin.

-AC

=Tired Hiker=
And people say I'm unjustly arrogant when I talk like people have an interest in me.

Pfft, I say.

-AC

No, you are just arrogant in general is what I think they are saying. But that's what makes you so unique. Not that it's a good thing . . . nor a bad thing, just a thing.

ragesRemorse

-AC

i knew it

i wasn't expecting that though
laughing out loud laughing

Did you stare inquisitively at the people sitting on those fine leather couches, playing on their laptops, as you tore them apart in your mind?

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by steverules
He wears womens underwear I have proof ha-son

I was hiding that.

Anyway, Bioshock movie. I'll see it if it looks good enough to see.

-AC

ragesRemorse
He drives in reverse through the drive-thru . . . just to be original.

wow

really...,funniest post i've in 18 years.

=Tired Hiker=
wow

really...,funniest post i've in 18 years.

Hey, at least I'm house broken. erm

exanda kane
Starbucks is awful coffee in AC's defense.

=Tired Hiker=
Originally posted by exanda kane

No it is not. It's actually very good coffee.

ragesRemorse

I'm not calling the man to trial, was just having some fun with him.

exanda kane
No it is not. It's actually very good coffee.

It isn't. They burn the coffee at Starbucks. It's common in alot of American Coffee Houses and it isn't nice.

ragesRemorse
Hey, at least I'm house broken. erm

i HEARD you can speck them englesh together good too

ragesRemorse
It isn't. They burn the coffee at Starbucks. It's common in alot of American Coffee Houses and it isn't nice.

thats true, but that's apart of the business. The beans are no jamaican Blue mountain or columbia kenya mix, but they are quite good. Maybe, not worth the price, but a good vanilla latte can fool you into thinking otherwise.

=Tired Hiker=

No.

dadudemon

Bad American coffee makers! Bad! big grin

I thought the game, Bioshock, was rather original. Maybe it wasn't, but I haven't played a game strikingly similar. There ARE games similar to it, but not exactly. Its got its own "Lost's Hatch" type of environment feel...all wet 'n stuff...(And we know how good wet is..shifty )

I HOPE that they don't screw this movie up. Please no overly cheesy lines. sad

Alpha Centauri
It is rather innovative for today, if not totally original, despite what some people would have you believe.

-AC

exanda kane
Thread derail in progress.

thats true, but that's apart of the business. The beans are no jamaican Blue mountain or columbia kenya mix, but they are quite good. Maybe, not worth the price, but a good vanilla latte can fool you into thinking otherwise.

The one thing I can praise Starbucks for (in the US, nor in the Uk sadly) is fast service. At least that has been my experience.

No.

Can't agree with you there, sorry. I've worked in a couple of firms where Starbucks and in particular their machinery and coffee beans have been a complete joke. These people know their stuff, and the the way the coffee bean is handled is noticable if you try, say, a Starbucks Cappucino and one from a firm like Matthew Algie.

Back onto Bioshock, maybe this will be the first video-game to film translation that will break the mold.

=Tired Hiker=
Can't agree with you there, sorry. I've worked in a couple of firms where Starbucks and in particular their machinery and coffee beans have been a complete joke. These people know their stuff, and the the way the coffee bean is handled is noticable if you try, say, a Starbucks Cappucino and one from a firm like Matthew Algie.

Back onto Bioshock, maybe this will be the first video-game to film translation that will break the mold.

Back onto Starbucks. They only use Arabica beans, whch as you know is a step up from Robusta beans used by most of the other mass market coffee companies. Also, burnt coffee is coffee left on a heating element longer than 30 minutes. Starbucks does not practice that way. If you think Starbucks tastes burnt, well than that's your fair opinion. Starbucks does tend to roast their beans darker than most, more closely resembling a an Italian/French style roast, which is darker than a Vienna roast which is again darker than the average 'City Roast'. But the fact is that they do not burn their coffee. They dark roast their coffee, yes, yes they do that.

Okay, so yeah, this Bio um whatever movie . . . it does sound like it will be interesting.

Alpha Centauri
You actually know way too much about coffee.

Possibly the worst name for you; TIRED Hiker.

-AC

=Tired Hiker=
You actually know way too much about coffee.

Possibly the worst name for you; TIRED Hiker.

-AC

Wired Hiker, maybe? Hmmmmm.

exanda kane
Back onto Starbucks. They only use Arabica beans, whch as you know is a step up from Robusta beans used by most of the other mass market coffee companies. Also, burnt coffee is coffee left on a heating element longer than 30 minutes. Starbucks does not practice that way. If you think Starbucks tastes burnt, well than that's your fair opinion. Starbucks does tend to roast their beans darker than most, more closely resembling a an Italian/French style roast, which is darker than a Vienna roast which is again darker than the average 'City Roast'. But the fact is that they do not burn their coffee. They dark roast their coffee, yes, yes they do that.

It's a trade secret, their coffee is overroasted to the point of burning or incinerating their coffee in ash. The way they roast their beans gives them an undue darker feel, which the quality of the bean doesn't give - it also doesn't disguise the fact that their coffee is weak and flat. Whatever quality their beans once held is gone. Any trick of getting rid of the taste with milk, sweetener or, god help us, caramel is moot. Any quality to be found in the origin of their beans is gone because of their roasting methods.

I've experienced this myself and through the tales of former colleagues in Costa's HQ in Lambeth who I really do respect. I'd also have you note that they aren't simply envious of Starbucks successes and acknowledge that other firms service far outweights their own.

Fair enough if you like Starbucks, in my experience in the US, its fast, efficient and easy, but to put on my indier-than-thou-bourgeois-tricon but their roasting methods wreck the beans.

=Tired Hiker=
It's a trade secret, their coffee is overroasted to the point of burning or incinerating their coffee in ash. The way they roast their beans gives them an undue darker feel, which the quality of the bean doesn't give - it also doesn't disguise the fact that their coffee is weak and flat. Whatever quality their beans once held is gone. Any trick of getting rid of the taste with milk, sweetener or, god help us, caramel is moot. Any quality to be found in the origin of their beans is gone because of their roasting methods.

I've experienced this myself and through the tales of former colleagues in Costa's HQ in Lambeth who I really do respect. I'd also have you note that they aren't simply envious of Starbucks successes and acknowledge that other firms service far outweights their own.

Fair enough if you like Starbucks, in my experience in the US, its fast, efficient and easy, but to put on my indier-than-thou-bourgeois-tricon but their roasting methods wreck the beans.

Those trade secrets you speak of, those DIRTY LITTLE SECRETS are company disinformation started by the mass market coffee manufacturers to try and hurt their biggest competitor, Starbucks. Because if it wasn't for Starbucks, the rest of the country wouldn't have realized that Folgers and Maxwell House, et all are pretty mediocre.

exanda kane
I can't speak for the 'rest of the country' or America. The praise of Starbucks I've heard is that it opened up Coffee to a larger market which for all intensive purposes must be good; now we can get crap coffee everywhere! Tom says.

But apart from that, Starbucks burn their coffee and this film will likely be crap. However, for the sake of the boards and this Director's career, it'll be bangin'

=Tired Hiker=
They do not burn their coffee, they dark roast their coffee, and okay I'm finally over it. I love you.

exanda kane
Well they do burn their coffee to the point where taste, that alien concept, is a thing of the long gone past. And I love you to, as does Tom.

=Tired Hiker=
Well they do burn their coffee to the point where taste, that alien concept, is a thing of the long gone past. And I love you to, as does Tom.

I said I was over it, but if I were not over it then I'd say something to the extent of dark roasting and burning are two different . . . who the hell is Tom???

exanda kane
Not when overroasting leads to burning. I admit there are different types of burning the coffee however.

=Tired Hiker=
Not when overroasting leads to burning. I admit there are different types of burning the coffee however.

I have never tasted burnt coffee, I wouldn't know.

BackFire
Amazing game.

Could potentially make a very very great film. We'll see how it goes.

Alpha Centauri
I can't speak for the 'rest of the country' or America. The praise of Starbucks I've heard is that it opened up Coffee to a larger market which for all intensive purposes must be good; now we can get crap coffee everywhere! Tom says.

But apart from that, Starbucks burn their coffee and this film will likely be crap. However, for the sake of the boards and this Director's career, it'll be bangin'

*For all intents and purposes.

-AC

exanda kane
Shut yer 'ole Douche of Sobriety.

Robtard
Ewan McGregor for the lead, I say, he has that alternate future circa 1960's flavor.

Blax_Hydralisk
Agreed, skinhead.

Robtard
Originally posted by Blax_Hydralisk
Agreed, skinhead.

Over the line, mark it zero!

ragesRemorse
as long as they can get Robert Downey jr to play iron man in this movie, it will be good.

H. S. 6
Make the Little Sisters creepy as hell, and I'm game

"Intensive purposes." laughing

Sorry, but that's pretty funny. stick out tongue

Strangelove
I read that they're going to use digital environments similar to the technique of 300. A wise decision, I think. Rapture would be too hard to try and physically create.

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by Strangelove
I read that they're going to use digital environments similar to the technique of 300. A wise decision, I think. Rapture would be too hard to try and physically create.

I like that idea...sounds like a step in a right direction.

Spartan005
Hopefully the movie will be better than the game. I know it got high ratings and all, but I played like 3 hours of it before getting ridiculously bored. Eh, who knows though, right?

Menetnashté
Yeah...waiting for this along with Gears and Halo. I'm sure it'll come out real soon.

Alpha Centauri
Not enough rave-coloured aliens for some people, oh well.

-AC

Ya Krunk'd Floo
This movie will obviously be garbage, and Starbucks coffee tastes like percolated watery stink nuggets.

(Bardock explained and described the flavor to me.)

PS. Only idiots drink their coffee with milk or sugar or other shit in it. A coffee ain't a coffee unless it's just simply coffee. 1 a day does me, but that shits gotta be done right.

Mairuzu
k

Vinny Valentine
Originally posted by Spartan005
Hopefully the movie will be better than the game. I know it got high ratings and all, but I played like 3 hours of it before getting ridiculously bored. Eh, who knows though, right?

Do you have the attention span of a door knob? This game was a brilliant masterpiece.

Alpha Centauri
We can't judge people just because they like Halo more, that's their thing.

Psh...pshhaha.

-AC

WrathfulDwarf

Vinny Valentine
More info has been released on it, but you know what's pathetic? I made a duplicate of my own thread.

NonSensi-Klown
Yeah, you're pretty pathetic.

moviebuff1084
Yay!!! Uwe Boll is not doing it cause he ruins video game movies. This should be great i loved the game and thought it would make a kick ass movie.

Vinny Valentine
Originally posted by NonSensi-Klown
Yeah, you're pretty pathetic.

Not as much as your smelly face.

NonSensi-Klown
Makeup sex?

Vinny Valentine
Makeup sex?

Sure, in Rapture?

NonSensi-Klown
Only if we can use plasmids.

Vinny Valentine
Only if we can use plasmids.

Insects awesome

Bicnarok

Vinny Valentine
I think this movie has a chance to be amazing.

steverules
I know we're still quite a long way away from the bioshock movie, but how do you think the movie should end? As some people know, there are 3 different endings, which ending would be perfect for the bioshock movie?

jaden101
the perfect ending to the bioshock movie would be the bit when a sensible producer says "we're not making a ****ing film out of bioshock" and the film got scrapped

BruceSkywalker
I know we're still quite a long way away from the bioshock movie, but how do you think the movie should end? As some people know, there are 3 different endings, which ending would be perfect for the bioshock movie?

Since most likely whoever is casted may sign a three picture deal then the ending will be left open for a sequel

Impediment

Would it kill you to try searching for an already existing thread before making a new one?

Merged.

To answer your question, none of those endings would fit the movie. The movie will differentiate from the game so radically, that it just wouldn't fit. Wait and see.

NonSensi-Klown
You can't realistically make a movie that involves one guy wandering around the entire time by himself except for a European guy buzzing in his ear and expect it to be good, unless the one guy is Will Smith.

Vinny Valentine
Originally posted by Impediment
Would it kill you to try searching for an already existing thread before making a new one?

Merged.

To answer your question, none of those endings would fit the movie. The movie will differentiate from the game so radically, that it just wouldn't fit. Wait and see.

I call that the Impsmack.

Impediment
Originally posted by Vinny Valentine
I call that the Impsmack.

And just like that, Vinny Valentine created Impediment's new signature move. faint

Kazenji

interior2design
Thanks for such a nice post.

Regards

nona

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Kazenji

they may want to revise their budget for this

Kazenji

Kazenji
New director onboard

steverules_2
I look forward to seeing this should it actually be made...

XanatosForever
Any director that isn't Uwe Boll has a shot at making this decent. Thankfully the new director isn't ol' Uve.

jayce78
I don't have anything to say about this , I just wanted to bring up the oldest thread I could find.

K.Diddy
no expression This movie will suck ass,like all other videogame movies

Kazenji
Yeah and thats what they said about superhero movies for a while until they started getting things right there.

K.Diddy
Yeah and thats what they said about superhero movies for a while until they started getting things right there.

confused I never had a problem with Micheal Keatons Batman or the first 2 superman movies

K.Diddy
smile You guy's can dream all you want,but you will see K.Diddy was right.

smile This movie WILL suck

Kazenji
Originally posted by K.Diddy
confused I never had a problem with Micheal Keatons Batman or the first 2 superman movies

You do realise there have been superhero long before those Superman movies from the 70's.

K.Diddy
You do realise there have been superhero long before those Superman movies from the 70's.

smile I dont watch movies older than the 70's

Nemesis X

movies based on comics and movies based on games are two different things. The superhero movies have done very well so far but the videogame movies haven't done well so far. Resident Evil, Doom, Bloodrayne, Street Fighter (the live action ones), House of the Dead, Dead or Alive, and the Mario Bros. saw to it that game based movies suck.

If Bioshock does become a success then there will be hope for game based movies but if not, please, for the love of god, Hollywood should quit adapting games into trashy movies.

Kazenji
Not just that they need to start tampering with the goddamn storyline for the games they'rer good enough as it is.

Kovacs86
Not just that they need to start tampering with the goddamn storyline for the games they'rer good enough as it is.

Actually, often, they're not. Games have to have action sequences really often to keep players interested and thus plots, even if they seem to be pretty cool in the game, are normally quite threadbare, or they have a reasonable film plot stretched across 20 hours of gameplay and 50 massive gunfights.

Kazenji
Well most of the time the things that they do change for the movie version it becomes completely different to what happens in the actual game itself.

steverules_2
Well most of the time the things that they do change for the movie version it becomes completely different to what happens in the actual game itself.

DOOM, the creatures weren't creatures from hell which is quite a main point in the DOOM games...thats the only one I can think of, I don't watch many movies based on games

NemeBro
Originally posted by Kovacs86
Actually, often, they're not. Games have to have action sequences really often to keep players interested and thus plots, even if they seem to be pretty cool in the game, are normally quite threadbare, or they have a reasonable film plot stretched across 20 hours of gameplay and 50 massive gunfights. Bioshock has an excellent plot though. Nothing needs to be changed for it to be good.

Ms.Marvel
bioshock doesnt have a good plot for a movie. at all.

NemeBro
Actually giving it some minor thought you are probably right.

Mostly because two thirds of the movie would be about some guy running around killing things and listening to some Irish guy without uttering so much as a grunt...Just because.

Then after t3h revelation said guy gets a motive, but still never utters so much as a peep.

Plus no actor can come off as awesome and manly as Andrew Ryan.

steverules_2
Originally posted by NemeBro
Actually giving it some minor thought you are probably right.

Mostly because two thirds of the movie would be about some guy running around killing things and listening to some Irish guy without uttering so much as a grunt...Just because.

Then after t3h revelation said guy gets a motive, but still never utters so much as a peep.

Plus no actor can come off as awesome and manly as Andrew Ryan.

He made a rather constipated sound when he died, like he was having some kind of bowel problems

NemeBro
Originally posted by steverules_2
He made a rather constipated sound when he died, like he was having some kind of bowel problems I know. Real men are constipated.

Also, a lot of the backgroun and plot from Bioschock comes from the Audiotapes. So yeah.

steverules_2
Real men are constipated? Oh darn I've been living a lie

You mean the audio diaries scattered around?

NemeBro
Originally posted by steverules_2
Real men are constipated? Oh darn I've been living a lie

You mean the audio diaries scattered around? Indeed, look at Dragonball Z and their raging constipated screams of epic manliness.

Ja.

steverules_2
Over 9000!!!!!!

Vinny Valentine
Bump

Impediment
The first Bioshock game is nothing less than magical. 2 was a good follow-up, but it didn't even come close to capturing the magic of the first.

As far as a movie adaptation goes, I am all for it. With the right staff, it could be one of the best video game movies ever made, and we all know how VG movies are almost always destined for failure.

K.Diddy
erm Sorry,I just cant bring myself to have faith in any movie based on a videogame

dadudemon
Well, the Resident Evil movies are awesome...

Anyway, Bioshock looks like it would be a great dark sci-fi/horror film.

I remember fighting BigDaddy's for the first time (before I knew, read, or heard about them.) It was thrilling and scary at the same time. I was like "OH SHIIIIIZ! WTF is that bumpity noise? Imma get rAAAAAped by the monsters!" That should work well when put into a film...I really faili to see how it would be hard to put a nice "first intro to a bigdaddy" scene into the film....but, I've been failed in the past on simple concepts. (See the Last Airbender, for a huge steamy pile of an example.)

Another game that would make a REALLY good movie is Prototype.

Kazenji
erm Sorry,I just cant bring myself to have faith in any movie based on a videogame

Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children
Resident Evil Degenaration

and i suppose it helps if you've somewhat played them.

K.Diddy
Originally posted by dadudemon

1. blink Are you serious?

2. erm People said the same thing about Doom

dadudemon

1. Absolutely. Different Strokes. I enjoy the crap out of them.

2. And it had a great back story, for sure. It was quite awesome. It was just poorly executed and the acting wasn't...very good. However, Prototype already has a perfect story to be directly adapted to a film, EXCELLENT voice acting. The story just needs to be condensed and great actors selected to fill the roles of the characters. It'd be really hard to mess it up, at that point, imo.

Kazenji
The story just needs to be condensed and great actors selected to fill the roles of the characters. It'd be really hard to mess it up, at that point, imo.

Yeah condensed and also changed since its hollywood.

omgchos

The first two RE's were good. The third one didn't feel so much like Resident Evil, so much as it felt like Doom.

Doom wasn't horrible, but they coulda done WAAAAAAY better with it. Bioshock kind of felt to me more like a silent hill kind of game just on a smaller creepiness scale mixed with Half Life 2. And i personally liked how Silent Hill turned out. Tho i heard a rumor that because of budget cuts they went with the barbed wire ending instead of having a bunch of Pyramid Heads barge into the church. But Bioshock has a good basis to make a creepy sci fi movie out of.

dadudemon
Yeah condensed and also changed since its hollywood.

True that Hollywood would change it, significantly, because their douchy like that. But it doesn't need to be changed. Even the portion where Alex absorbs Blackwatch militia and the US military people. That could work quite well to develop the plot. (They call this a "plot device", but in this instance, device is just a metaphor for the main character's ability to absorb peoples' memories, skills, and special abilities.)

Originally posted by omgchos
The first two RE's were good. The third one didn't feel so much like Resident Evil, so much as it felt like Doom.

Doom wasn't horrible, but they coulda done WAAAAAAY better with it. Bioshock kind of felt to me more like a silent hill kind of game just on a smaller creepiness scale mixed with Half Life 2. And i personally liked how Silent Hill turned out. Tho i heard a rumor that because of budget cuts they went with the barbed wire ending instead of having a bunch of Pyramid Heads barge into the church. But Bioshock has a good basis to make a creepy sci fi movie out of.

I'm not sure what you mean about that Doom comment, but I thought the 3rd one was really good...the second best.

And, yeah, Doom wasn't bad, at all...I think I gave it a 6 out of 10.

K.Diddy
erm Sorry guy's but I thought Doom couldn't off been any worse,I fail too see how any of you found that movie entertaining

Kazenji
Movie Stalled Over R-Rating

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/02/14/frustrated-gore-verbinski-sheds-light-on-stalled-bioshock-movie.aspx

the hell??......erm

the movie doesn't need to have a R rating at all.

BackFire
It'd be very hard to do a movie that encapsulates the extremely dark and gruesome tone of the game without an R rating.

Kazenji
I'm pretty sure the game isn't as violent as Kill Bill Vol 1.

Florence76
I'm hoping for the better part.http://www.infoocean.info/avatar4.jpg

KingD19
I'm pretty sure the game isn't as violent as Kill Bill Vol 1.

In one of your first scenes in Rapture, you witness a Splicer group trying to murder a Little Sister...looks like she's younger than 6. Then a Big Daddy murders all of them, including piercing one through the torso with a giant drill, then turning the drill on.

If they made it a movie, it'd be a gore fest.

Kazenji
Originally posted by KingD19
In one of your first scenes in Rapture, you witness a Splicer group trying to murder a Little Sister...looks like she's younger than 6. Then a Big Daddy murders all of them, including piercing one through the torso with a giant drill, then turning the drill on.

Yeah and i've also witness it too because i've finished the game

what America has for R rating is completely different to what it is in Australia.

Kazenji
X1PlM_g6S2I#!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.