Karen Travis...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

The big EH
Karen Travis i'm going to kill you! you killed mara, you ***** :cry: this is what i was thinking, then i found out she does all of the stufff involving mandalorians and is currently making their language.....i'm so confused what should i do???

Melcórë
Get over it, LOL. Mara sucked as a character, especially after Zahn's trilogy.

Blax_Hydralisk
Mara= single most badass women in the entire Star Wars universe. Ever.

NJO and Lotf is shite, pure and simple.. Palleon's death is one of the greatest attrocities EVAR!

The big EH
i agree, mara was the coolest chick though

Tangible God

Darth Exodus
I hope its really painful for them too.

McLovin
EU in general is pretty bad.

Especially anything that takes place after ROTJ.

xxxpoppunker182
the thrawn trilogy rocked and DE wasn't bad either

truejedi
i gotta say i liked LOTF, but they can't keep killing off the characters one by one, its almost anti-climatic when so many characters get offed in one series, book after book like this.

Melcórë
Originally posted by Tangible God
THANK YOU! Glad someone finally said it aloud.

Anyways, the more over-used characters they kill off the better. I'm looking forward to the day Luke snuffs it. Han and Leia too.

LOL. I've never liked her, not even IN Thrawn's works. She's too much of a b!tch, seriously.

LOL. I love those three, but, yeah, they need to die. And soon.

Gideon
Mara > Leia. By far.

Fully aware of Leia Organa's prodigious political skills, she's a half-trained, aging semi-Jedi. She needs to handle the political bullshit and keep her ass out of the melee. Han Solo is badass, too, but he's 70. I can see him piloting still and leading/commanding/orchestrating various battles. But fighting against highly trained shocktroops half his age? Nope.

Luke's the only one of the big three who has any business being in a combat situation. And as for Traviss, her Mandalorian fetish has gotten way out of control, and her purge of Tim Zahn's characters is annoying, since Mara and Gilad Pellaeon's death did not do anything but add to the creative feel. When you have two distinctive, legendary, and important SW characters such as that, and you intend to kill them, it better be for one damn good reason.

She's the worst SW author, hands down.

Lt. Valerian
I'm reading the novel Allegiance right now, enjoying it so far... Mara's mentioned in this book, by then, she was the Emperor's Hand and was only 18 years old. That's quite impressive.

xxxpoppunker182
Originally posted by Gideon
Mara > Leia. By far.

Fully aware of Leia Organa's prodigious political skills, she's a half-trained, aging semi-Jedi. She needs to handle the political bullshit and keep her ass out of the melee. Han Solo is badass, too, but he's 70. I can see him piloting still and leading/commanding/orchestrating various battles. But fighting against highly trained shocktroops half his age? Nope.

Luke's the only one of the big three who has any business being in a combat situation. And as for Traviss, her Mandalorian fetish has gotten way out of control, and her purge of Tim Zahn's characters is annoying, since Mara and Gilad Pellaeon's death did not do anything but add to the creative feel. When you have two distinctive, legendary, and important SW characters such as that, and you intend to kill them, it better be for one damn good reason.

She's the worst SW author, hands down.

i couldn't agree more

Nactous
I have hated her since the beginning. The dark day was when any and all of the thrawn books were released.

Tangible God
I gotta be honest here, the Thrawn books were good--- when Luke wasn't around. You know, when they were telling us about Thrawn, Pellaeon, the politics of the time, etc. Just not the ****ing Jedi.

In fact, nearly EVERY post-ROTJ book that have Jedi present and talking about the Force, pisses me right the hell off. Throwing a love-life and child in for Luke only made it worse for me, now he's got "parental and marital concerns" combined with the pressure of the Force and being Jedi Master #1.

If they made that kid totally celibate, I'd be happy.

Kapton JAC
Originally posted by Nactous
I have hated her since the beginning. The dark day was when any and all of the thrawn books were released.

I liked Mara, but only after she was released from the clutches of that pompus fool Zhan.

I read his most recent Star Wars Book... unless he ended up writing one after this one... I got as far as "Planet Teardrop" yes that was it's name. and I quit reading it.

Captain REX
So... what is this thread about? LOTF?

Kapton JAC
... I think it may be a hate thread... But then again I could be wrong but when a threads start with the words "I Hate you" it usually indicates a hate thread.

Tangible God
Unless it was opposite day when it was posted, then it means "Karen Travis I'm Going To Give You Milk And Cookies For Doing What You Did."

And she'll be all like, "YUM!"

Kapton JAC
True.

caedusrulesall
THANK YOU! Glad someone finally said it aloud.

Anyways, the more over-used characters they kill off the better. I'm looking forward to the day Luke snuffs it. Han and Leia too.

THANK GOD SOMEONE SAID IT!!!

I love EU, much more than the movies, but think that it's gotten a bit too Luke-killing-people-centered. We need to kill him off to add a real kick to the EU. Plus people have some kind of unbreakable attachment to all these characters, and it's good to snap them out of it.

Actually, while I do like that Traviss killed Mara, I find her novels the worst in LOTF. Allston and Denning are quite good, but in hers there's lots of bureaucrats debating, and the Mandos are dragged into it. She has her own pet characters:

Mandalorians
Gilad Pellaeon
Specific GAG Personnel like Corporal Lekauf, Captain Shevu, etc.

Stop belittling the NJO and post-NJO! IT DESERVES YOUR RESPECT!

Darth Scythe
Dude. Karen Traviss has Boba Fett using a lightsaber to duel Jaina Solo. What part of the game is that?

And before some nitpicking smartass says 'they were only practicing', think about it. IT'S BOBA FETT FIGHTING WITH A LIGHTSABER.

Its like they're trying to incorporate every character just for the sake of namedropping in the LOTF books. There is such a thing as trying too hard, and they're doing it.

Darth Sexy
I'll be honest with you guys. I only like Star Wars for anything force related. I don't care about anything else, which explains my dislike for Vector. As long as there are Jedi/Sith/The force, I'm interested. Still, LOTF sucks.

Lord Knightfa11
kill luke! luke needs to DIE!!! i want to be the sith in the movie that kills luke. and they NEED to make a movie out of it so everyone around the world can enjoy it.

LUKE MUST DIE!!!!

Elite Hunter
NO

Tangible God
Originally posted by Darth Sexy
I'll be honest with you guys. I only like Star Wars for anything force related. I don't care about anything else, which explains my dislike for Vector. As long as there are Jedi/Sith/The force, I'm interested. Still, LOTF sucks. Really? I'm the exact opposite. The military/political/social-economic aspects are what draw me in. Needless to say, good character is essential as well. Anything to do with the Force concerning characters from ANH and onward simply bore me to death. It took me 3 weeks to get through the Unifying Force, it was that freaking dull. Though I did enjoy the retaking of Coruscant, but admittedly skipped the entire Luke/Shimrra, Jacen/Onimi fight. All that philosophic crap, all that being in tune with their surrounding and their inner child or whatever. And every time I read a passage concerning lightsaber use that mentions the phrase "like an extension of your own arm," I stop reading and bite the book's spine.

Darth Sexy
Oh don't get me wrong, I don't give two shits about the pseudointellectual philosophical garbage. Jedi vs. Sith was the IDEAL book for me because it was all based on the force. That's what I think George Lucas' main idea was. All that other crap is filler.

truejedi
laughing laughing laughing

i agree with sexy about the force, the jedi and sith battle are the only real things that interest me, but you speak the truth about authors who try to make it all to emotional. i want to read the action, not what the jedi are feeling during the battles.

xxxpoppunker182
I too would say im with sexy JEDI VS SITH was an awesome book I love the force and all the different sects that use it.

i hate the political crap and the only military stuff i enjoy was anything with thrawn along with whenever wedge gets in his x-wing.

caedusrulesall
Originally posted by Darth Scythe
Dude. Karen Traviss has Boba Fett using a lightsaber to duel Jaina Solo. What part of the game is that?

And before some nitpicking smartass says 'they were only practicing', think about it. IT'S BOBA FETT FIGHTING WITH A LIGHTSABER.

Its like they're trying to incorporate every character just for the sake of namedropping in the LOTF books. There is such a thing as trying too hard, and they're doing it.

Just so you know, Boba Fett has used a lightsaber to fight Darth Vader in previous comics, so why was it okay then and not okay in Revelation?

Although I will say Revelation did bore me somewhat. Karen Traviss needs to stop using the Mandos in LOTF.

Admittedly, the Unifying Force was a rather dull, philosophical book.

Well put, although it's EXTREMELY unlikely GL is going to stop beating the Galactic Civil War and Clone Wars into the ground with game after comic after TV series after book about them and make a post-ROTJ movie.

Kapton JAC
I'm impressed Kane isn't in here calling Bullocks on everyone who likes the Jedi.

sweersa
Is Mara ever in the movies? Doesn't she get a little glimpse in ROTJ?

Darth Exodus
Calm down Knightfa11, his day will come. It is inevitable and when it does there will be much rejoicing in this forum.
Also, Revan will come back in and kick Jacen's ass for his disrespect of the Sith title.
So it has been said and so it shall be.

Darth Sexy
If Luke dies any death other than old age, you'll have millions of pissed off people. I highly doubt George Lucas' greatest hero is going to go out like that.

Darth Exodus
Well, he's got to go sometime because we see him as a ghost. And Jacen might well do it (finger's crossed)

Kapton JAC
Originally posted by sweersa
Is Mara ever in the movies? Doesn't she get a little glimpse in ROTJ?

No, the picture that showes Mara dancing for Jobba:

http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/marajadeskywalker/img/eu_bg.jpg

Was a post movie creation, and was never in the movie.

Darth Scythe
Originally posted by caedusrulesall
Just so you know, Boba Fett has used a lightsaber to fight Darth Vader in previous comics, so why was it okay then and not okay in Revelation?

I never said it was ok before. It's NEVER ok!

I wouldn't be surprised if she decided to write that Boba or Mirta Gev had some latent force powers all of a sudden just so they can be living force Mando Gods. I already dislike the idea of Bardik becoming a mando and Kad'ika being the offspring of mando/jedi parents.

truejedi
i'd be one of those, that if they kill luke, (esp. if they try to do it with whiny jason) i'd be done with star wars. It would have to be done right, and definitly not in LOTF. Luke should def. have to sacrifice himself to save some people, if and when (and i'd like it to stay an if). He can't sacrifice himself to save people from Jason in this series, because one: Jacen already got Mara. Getting both skywalkers is giving him way too much credit, and because Two: LUke has already had several chances to kill Jacen and NOT DONE IT. If they let Jacen kill luke later for any noble reason, luke still looks like a fool in death for not taking out Jacen when he had the chance.

Tangible God
He should die being consumed by a blast of pure Dark Side energy thrown at him by Jacen who intended it to blow up Corellia. While taking Jacen with it. And Han, Leia, and C-3PO (he can die defending Ewoks). Jaina can live, she's alright. So's R2.

Kapton JAC
Originally posted by truejedi
i'd be one of those, that if they kill luke, (esp. if they try to do it with whiny jason) i'd be done with star wars. It would have to be done right, and definitly not in LOTF. Luke should def. have to sacrifice himself to save some people, if and when (and i'd like it to stay an if). He can't sacrifice himself to save people from Jason in this series, because one: Jacen already got Mara. Getting both skywalkers is giving him way too much credit, and because Two: LUke has already had several chances to kill Jacen and NOT DONE IT. If they let Jacen kill luke later for any noble reason, luke still looks like a fool in death for not taking out Jacen when he had the chance.

He should go out like Chewie, saving people so selflessly that he gives up his only chance at safety to save someone else. The death of a true hero.

He should die being consumed by a blast of pure Dark Side energy thrown at him by Jacen who intended it to blow up Corellia. While taking Jacen with it. And Han, Leia, and C-3PO (he can die defending Ewoks). Jaina can live, she's alright. So's R2.

R2 lives untill the Legacy series, appearantly, he can't die.

Melcórë
LMAO

Reading all this reminds me why I haven't wasted my money on either the Legacy novels OR the comics. They're simply terrible.

BTW: I've always enjoyed (most) of the NJO Series, particularly Vector Prime, and I've always lauded LucasArts and the authors of said series for trying to do something DIFFERENT with SW, instead of the same old crap, as LotF is.

Jedireaper
What the f**k? Ok... I think the the X-wing series is by-far better than the NJO as I have read every NJO novel and I hated them... Legacy of the Force ain't much better although Bloodlines is ok. I prefer earlier more action heavy novels over the onset of political dabble and one lighsaber fight. NJO's Vector Prime also killed off Chewbacca. Why. They could have killed Han... Leia... It wouldn't have had near the same effect. Personally I think that anything written since the start of NJO is crap... It just doesn't have that fun, light, happy feeling that novels like Wraith Squadron, Solo Command, and Dark Force Rising so keenly have. Love. If you would like to read a completed SW novel that takes place during the NJO but replaces it with a much more gripping and likeable story, go to: http://www.geocities.com/piqsid/stories.html Start with and read The Dark Ring and then the Snotzenexer trilogy. I gave the author 100% I think he is better than Zahn in some cases. Definately worth it. big grin Trust me. The Force is strong in his one's.

Karan Travis: I say give up. Write something worth my time.

Gideon
Apparently, the paperback edition of Sacrifice includes a "mini-book" by Karen Traviss that concerns Boba Fett during the beginning of the war against the Yuuzhan Vong. The following is an excerpt of dialogue taken from renegade Jedi Vergere, supposed apprentice to Darth Sidious and the one who began to lure Jacen Solo to the dark side.

-Vergere, explaining galactic politics to the Yuuzhan Vong shortly before their invasion of the galaxy, 25 A.B.Y.

...So, according to Karen Traviss (who cleverly had this dialogue originate from the mouth of a Jedi), the Mandalorians are the most formidable enemy of the Jedi. LOL.

Jbill311
I like how her mandalorian fetish retcon just totally re-framed the entire SW saga. (assuming that it is added to the 'EU cannon' timeline.)
((and yes- we all know what happens when we assume...))

Darth Scythe
Can someone find her house and set it on fire?

Not with her in it because I don't want her to be killed. I just want her to see how someone can ruin something she takes seriously.

Darth Sexy
Originally posted by Darth Scythe
Can someone find her house and set it on fire?

Not with her in it because I don't want her to be killed. I just want her to see how someone can ruin something she takes seriously.

I wonder how much chance I have with her in the sack if I came to her house dressed as Boba Fett.

Gideon
Originally posted by Darth Sexy
I wonder how much chance I have with her in the sack if I came to her house dressed as Boba Fett.

A chance implies a lack of gaurentee. I promise that if you did, she'd let you do all sorts of nasty things to her.

Mandalorians = supreme threat to the Jedi. Bullshit.

Faunus
Stop. Being. Gross.

Bastard.

Gideon
Originally posted by Faunus
Stop. Being. Gross.

Bastard.

I hope you fall down some stairs...

sad

Allankles
Originally posted by Gideon
Apparently, the paperback edition of Sacrifice includes a "mini-book" by Karen Traviss that concerns Boba Fett during the beginning of the war against the Yuuzhan Vong. The following is an excerpt of dialogue taken from renegade Jedi Vergere, supposed apprentice to Darth Sidious and the one who began to lure Jacen Solo to the dark side.

-Vergere, explaining galactic politics to the Yuuzhan Vong shortly before their invasion of the galaxy, 25 A.B.Y.

...So, according to Karen Traviss (who cleverly had this dialogue originate from the mouth of a Jedi), the Mandalorians are the most formidable enemy of the Jedi. LOL.

Ha! Could someone tell her that Mandalorians are just soldiers in armor, who almost got wiped out 3000 years before the Vong and weren't relevant on a galactic scale since.

truejedi
i know you can't just refuse something that's canon... but i'm sorry... i refuse this. absolutely refuse.

Captain REX
Well, that's special, isn't it...

Lt. Valerian
It is in an awfully horrible way.

Lord Knightfa11
ooo... The most formidible enemy, and what does this make the sith, the most formidable pile of chopped dog turd? The vong. here are the vong in relation to the mandalorians in terms of time.

Mandalorians when they could be considered the most formidalbe opponent.

Vong

each space=100 years. Mandalorians died out far before the vong. Now that this is cannon, we will have boba fan boys declairing in the halls that mandalorians are more formidable to jedis then sith, and woopdedoo, now its Windu vs mandalore, and your debating another noobaris about that.

Blue_Hefner
Revan surely made short work of them

Gideon
Her incompetence has no limits. Add to the fact that she's mentally unstable and lacks the ability to withstand any amount of criticism (constructive or otherwise), she is a deeply disturbed woman. I have my complaints with Mr. Karapshyn, for the simple fact that he is incapable of writing a decent, original character to save his life, but at least he's capable of drafting a very appealing story. Traviss can't even do that.

Lord Knightfa11
muahaha i like this. lets make karen travis novels uncanon here.

Lt. Valerian
I can't believe GL allows her to write things like that...

Wait, actually I do.

truejedi
a mini book inside of another book isn't established cannon anyway is it? and since when are jedi and mandalorians even enemies?
and why the heck would vergere refer to them as a third element that are even in the same class as jedi and sith. i won't lie, i liked the mandalorian stuff at first (especially in bloodlines, i loved that one) but now its stupid, enough is enough. i liked the idea of warriors that could at least challenge jedi and sith, but to put them on the same level? maybe fett. no one else deserves to be there.

Lt. Valerian
Man, it's Karen Traviss. Did you honestly expect something better?

Ivalice
Thats pure BS man, i think we should just disregard LOTF completely. At least the NJO was believable.

Lt. Valerian
Yeah, we should make whatever comes out of Traviss's mouth non-canon on this forum!!

tikmc

Lord Knightfa11
I suggested it. thank me when it comes true big grin

Darth Exodus
Why don't we all just put dog poo in her air filters so that every time she tries to turn on the air conditioning it smells of poo!!! goof

Or why don't we just teepee her house. Or shave her cat/son. Or.......

Lord Knightfa11
or send her mail saying what we actually expect from a star wars novel?

Darth Exodus
Don't overtax your imagination much KF

Captain REX
Threads merged.

truejedi
i just read the mini-book. I'm not going to lie, you throw out that first comment, and i don't dislike it. Kinda explains why the mando's came out of nowhere in the middle of the series to help. Am i the only one who wondered where they were for the first half of the war against the Vong?
That quote comes from a very fallible character in Vergere... Who was a traitor, and every third word out of her mouth was a lie. We don't have to declare LOTF non-canon to overlook that statement. She was perhaps TRYING to mislead Nom Anor, and because of the impact the mando's made, she probably succeeded.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.