Did the Empire go through an economic breakdown?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

zhellblah
in the PT, everything from the cities to the vehicles to the cruisers looked sleek and new. why then, does almost everything in the OT look old and decrepit? one theory I had was that there was a sort of dark age following the Empire takeover. but this is not true. for example: the Death Star. Planet destroying death rays didn't exist in the PT. so that leaves the explanation of an economic breakdown. idk.... anybody want to shed some light?

Lord Knightfa11
besides teh fact that the empire bullied and taxed everyone into poverty?

sweersa
The Empire and the Wealthy or anyone associated with the Empire seemed to hog all of the resources. That is why so many things looks rugged and worn that doesn't belong to the Imperials.

ie: The Rebels looked like they had older out of date equipment, while the Empire had newer looking near mint vehicles.

zhellblah
there is no evidence taxing in OT. there is bullying, but only in the fact that there are stormtroopers everywhere.

Jovan
I think it's set in one of the extra's on Ep I: in the PT it is all handmade, eye for detail, ... In the OT it's all mechanic, dark, worn out, ...

just to give good contrast... or at least he found a reason to explain why he can now use fancy computereffects

chik4lit
Plus, the Empire probably suppressed a lot of creative or progressive thinking. Anyone who could have come up with new technologies would not have had the outlets or the resources to do it.

Lord Knightfa11
or maybe the pt is supposed to represent times of prosperity, and the ot is supposed to represent times of sadness and poverty.

either way the imperial march when vader comes off of his ship is frickin awesome

queeq
THe decrepid look is great. But if tehre is anythiong to say about it, maybe the Empire kept all the money for themselves and in the golden days of the Republic wealth was shared more evenly.

Then again, who cares.

Lord Knightfa11
yea i finally realized what it was a year ago. a year or two ago, i realized that there were 2 reasons that the prequels didn't seem to flow with continueum into the OT. The ships and everything looks bran new in the PT, and the lightsabers are solid color, while in the pt, everything looks decrepid and old, excepting teh emperial's stuff, and the lightsabers flicker. They should have had the decrepid look and the flickering lightsabers for the pt.

queeq
I alwasy wonderd why Lucas abandoned his "used future" look for the PT. It makes no sense. Even during the PT a lot of stuff was in use for a long time. Why the pristine look? It goes against eveyrthing Lucas devised in the 70s (SW, THX 1138).

Jovan
Originally posted by queeq
I alwasy wonderd why Lucas abandoned his "used future" look for the PT. It makes no sense. Even during the PT a lot of stuff was in use for a long time. Why the pristine look? It goes against eveyrthing Lucas devised in the 70s (SW, THX 1138).
probably because they all had money for repairs and they were willing to share, no?

queeq
No. The point alwsy was that eveything even in the future gets used. So it gets scratched, gets dirt on it etc. Even the pristine whiteness in THX 1138 had dirty wipes on walls and stuff. It made it look real, it was a whole concpet by Lucas to make Sci-fi grounded in reality.

zhellblah
another thing that Lucas did to preserve reality in his sci-fi movies was to make the alien names sound reasonable. "Jabba the Hutt" instead of "Xeglothorpe", for instance (Xeglothorpe was one I just made up, but you get my point.) at least GL kept the naming decent.

queeq
Yes, it had to be grounded in our reality. It has to look or feel at least a bit familiar. Not completely strange, so we can't identify with it.

zhellblah
That's one of the reasons why the movies were so popular. But that doesn't really answer my question. So you're saying that the PT was more sleek because GL could make it that way because of new technologies?

Lord Knightfa11
because george lucas shot his brains out after howard the duck, ok??

Tangible God
Originally posted by zhellblah
in the PT, everything from the cities to the vehicles to the cruisers looked sleek and new. why then, does almost everything in the OT look old and decrepit? one theory I had was that there was a sort of dark age following the Empire takeover. but this is not true. for example: the Death Star. Planet destroying death rays didn't exist in the PT. so that leaves the explanation of an economic breakdown. idk.... anybody want to shed some light? I'm visualizing banging my head off the keyboard.

OT=1976-1983 technology.

PT=1997-2005 technology.

Swing and a miss.

Lord Knightfa11
i like my explanation better.

Sesse
Wow. YOU like YOUR explanation better?

Go figure.

Lord Knightfa11
yea. kinda strange how that works, isn't it?

Lord Knightfa11
Originally posted by Lord Knightfa11
because george lucas shot his brains out after howard the duck, ok??

this explanation is the one i meant.

queeq
That's one of the reasons why the movies were so popular. But that doesn't really answer my question. So you're saying that the PT was more sleek because GL could make it that way because of new technologies?

I don't know why he did it. According to his own " used future" philosophy I have no reason to believe why it shouldn't apply to the PT... I find it odd and estranging.

zhellblah
i agree with queeq on this one, guys. Even though Coruscant looked freaking amazing, oh well.

queeq
A few wipes, scratches and dirt would have made it look even better. Although... even the bottom layers with the bars and the abandoned industrial areas at the end of AOTC looked still way too slick.

Jack Daniels
cheneys distnat cousin from a galaxy far far away raised the price on gas again? that caused it all...lol...

Jack Daniels
sorry for the typo...lol distant is what I meant

Sesse
Surely those ships dont run with gas.
They run with yellow sparks and dark smoke.

When the hull is breached, those two components exit, and the vehicle stops working. confused

sweersa
I don't know why he did it. According to his own " used future" philosophy I have no reason to believe why it shouldn't apply to the PT... I find it odd and estranging.

I think Lucas gives the explanation that the galaxy during the Prequel period (before the Empire hogs resources) is somewhat clean and virgin. Unlike the classic trilogy period where everything is worn down and recycled because the Empire uses up everything.

The stuff on Tatooine in the prequels looks worn, and the same with Naboo. You just have to look closer. I suppose it should have been done a bit more though, especially with the capital. But remember this is all before the rein of the Empire. If you notice in the classic trilogy all of the Imperial stuff is way more fresh and clean than anyone else's stuff.

queeq
Originally posted by sweersa
I think Lucas gives the explanation that the galaxy during the Prequel period (before the Empire hogs resources) is somewhat clean and virgin. Unlike the classic trilogy period where everything is worn down and recycled because the Empire uses up everything.

The stuff on Tatooine in the prequels looks worn, and the same with Naboo. You just have to look closer. I suppose it should have been done a bit more though, especially with the capital. But remember this is all before the rein of the Empire. If you notice in the classic trilogy all of the Imperial stuff is way more fresh and clean than anyone else's stuff.

Clean and virgin? That's exactly what's contradictory to the used future theory. Everything gets used, even in the future. There's no such thing as a sterile surrounding.

The Empire look fairly clean, the stormtroopers did have dirt on their armour. THere was a garbage chute... it showed realism.

sweersa
Clean and virgin? That's exactly what's contradictory to the used future theory. Everything gets used, even in the future. There's no such thing as a sterile surrounding.

The Empire look fairly clean, the stormtroopers did have dirt on their armour. THere was a garbage chute... it showed realism.

Listen, the Prequel films take place mostly before the Empire. Thus just about everything is fresh, but you still get the normal wear more or less depending on where you are.

During Imperial rule, (Original Trilogy) everything the Imperials have is clean and fresh like stuff in the Prequel Trilogy, everybody else, such as the Rebellion and neutral forces and characters have the used, old, and battered items because they either cannot afford or have the opportunity to have anything better as the Empire hogs a lot of wealth and resources.

The clone troopers in the Prequel trilogy were also battered and had worn armor, even before they went into battle on screen you could see it.

Star Trek is a great example of something that has no used future lol. Everything looks totally new.

coolmovies
The stuff in the OT looks old fashion and the PT looks like high tec stuff.
I think the empire distroyed everything.

I blame CGI !!!!!!!

Tangible God
Most of us do.

sweersa
It always easy to point fingers at something new. Like how DOOM caused Columbine and GTA causes violent crimes.

Sesse
It is most logical.

My friend gave me a stolen plutonium rod as a birthday present.
After two days, my hair fell off and my dog died by vomiting its kindneys out.

Hmmm... BEFORE the rod came, my dog still had his guts within himself and I had a head full of hair. AFTER the rod came, all this happened.
Ding dong! Burn the Witch! Game! Rod!

Lord Knightfa11
lol.

There is more to violent crimes then just video games.

I agree however that if you were to commit the acts that you are forced to commit in GTA in RL, you would be a dangerous criminal. Not so bad with halo and war games because they are military, not slaughter and steel cars and shoot at peace officer games.

sweersa
Originally posted by Lord Knightfa11
lol.

There is more to violent crimes then just video games.

I agree however that if you were to commit the acts that you are forced to commit in GTA in RL, you would be a dangerous criminal. Not so bad with halo and war games because they are military, not slaughter and steel cars and shoot at peace officer games.

I think the crazy or disturbed people that do such bad crimes just happened to like such games for obvious reasons.

If you go to a nerd convention with all of the die hard shooter gamers not a single punch is thrown or shots fired, not a real one anyway! lol

queeq
Listen, the Prequel films take place mostly before the Empire. Thus just about everything is fresh, but you still get the normal wear more or less depending on where you are.

Why is it fresh? The Jedi have been around for a thousand years... Need I repeat: a THOUSAND YEARS!!!!!

And there's just 20 years between ROTS and ANH... not enough for such a major change: 1000 years everything crisp and clean, 20 years: all crap....

Dude, face it, Lucas' use of CGI ruined his own used future approach that made movies like THX and SW such great films and had major impact on movies in that genre (Blade Runner, Alien, etc. etc)

The PT had NO influence at all on other movies. In fact LOTR showed a greater progression.

coolmovies
Lets just say its only a film !!

sweersa
Why is it fresh? The Jedi have been around for a thousand years... Need I repeat: a THOUSAND YEARS!!!!!

And there's just 20 years between ROTS and ANH... not enough for such a major change: 1000 years everything crisp and clean, 20 years: all crap....

Dude, face it, Lucas' use of CGI ruined his own used future approach that made movies like THX and SW such great films and had major impact on movies in that genre (Blade Runner, Alien, etc. etc)

The PT had NO influence at all on other movies. In fact LOTR showed a greater progression.

It is not fresh, just more so than in the originals because the Empire caused everyone else to have crappy stuff because they hogged all of the resources. The Jedi have nothing to do with it. 20 years is plenty of time, but then again we never get to see the capital in the original trilogy, except at the end of ROTJ, lol. Things also look crappy in the originals because we are mainly seeing the rebels and tatooween. Yet the Empire seems to have almost everything fresh? Hmm. Think about it.

The PT had an all CGI character. (jar jar) He may have been annoying but he opened the door for other films to include all CGI characters.

Jack Daniels
if jar jar influenced anything we are in trouble...lol

queeq
Yet the Empire seems to have almost everything fresh? Hmm. Think about it.

It has a fresh feel about it. But again, the stormtrooper armour look a tad dirty, so does Vader's helmet. The DS looks very new...but then... IT IS!!!!!

zhellblah
Yet the Empire seems to have almost everything fresh? Hmm. Think about it.

Why are you defending GL? He made some new films that weren't as amazing or groundbreaking as the originals. It's not a bad thing. It happens. But you have to admit, queeq is right (as he usually is). GL just abandoned his used future philosophy.

Sesse
It has a fresh feel about it. But again, the stormtrooper armour look a tad dirty, so does Vader's helmet. The DS looks very new...but then... IT IS!!!!!

Oldest parts of it were constructed before Vader took his first hiss in his microphone.

Even Tie fighters and X-wings at their OT state were of newer build.

sweersa

The clone trooper armor was also battle worn in the PT.

To all the people who say the Prequels are not as good as the originals, that is entirely your opinion, the Prequels are obviously different because they were made many years after the OT, and because everybody had an idea of what they wanted it is hard to meet that.

They also made a !@#$ load so don't tell me they could have been that bad...

queeq
The clone trooper armor was also battle worn in the PT.

To all the people who say the Prequels are not as good as the originals, that is entirely your opinion, the Prequels are obviously different because they were made many years after the OT, and because everybody had an idea of what they wanted it is hard to meet that.

They also made a !@#$ load so don't tell me they could have been that bad...

The battle worn look in the PT is CGi fake.

sweersa
The battle worn look in the PT is CGi fake.

I wouldn't say all of it is CGI, though most is. A lot of the crap on the sets of tatooween is not CGI, but does it really matter? CGI looks like it is here to stay, it is likely cheaper and better in the long run and if it is done right.

Plus you can do more with it. The opening shot in ROTS was amazing, and would be impossible with conventional old school visual effects.

Darth Maliko
THe decrepid look is great. But if tehre is anythiong to say about it, maybe the Empire kept all the money for themselves and in the golden days of the Republic wealth was shared more evenly.

Then again, who cares.

Now THIS explanation makes sense.

Grand_Moff_Gav

For a deeper contrast between a golden age...you know when Ben Kenobi talks about "before the dark times"...GL just made it literal...I imagine its mentioned somewhere in the Commentary.

queeq
I wouldn't say all of it is CGI,

It is. Not one clone suit was made outside of the virtual realm.

sweersa

I know, but I was talking about the objects in the film in general, not just the troopers.

Imagine a fanboy looking for a clone trooper set of armor prop! lol

Schecter

i do remember seeing vader's cape dragging along a dusty star destroyer floor in esb. how unsightly.
seems that had to make cutbacks and fire their cleaning crews....maybe the OP is on to something here

queeq
laughing out loud

I know, but I was talking about the objects in the film in general, not just the troopers.

Imagine a fanboy looking for a clone trooper set of armor prop! lol

He'd prolly say he'd found one as well.

Lord Knightfa11
if no clones were a person, why can't they just use the models/images/other files from rots in the clone wars? that would be awesome if they had clones that looked real.

sweersa
laughing out loud

He'd prolly say he'd found one as well.

You never know. I saw an ad in the latest Star Wars insider magazine that had an exact replica of a Clone Trooper helmet, lol!

queeq
Oh I bet they get made for sure.

sweersa
Oh I bet they get made for sure.

There is money to be made for sure.

Ok, back on topic, how much do you think the citizens of the Galaxy were paying per gallon for gas under Imperial rule?

queeq
Wholesale or from Black Sun?

Lord Knightfa11
lol black sun is EU. take it elswhere.

O, but i don't have to tell you that, you invented tauntauns!

queeq
There you go.

Jack Daniels
paying per gallon for gas under Imperial rule?? mmmm...8 credits a gallon?..lol....wait what is a US dollar converted into republic credits?....better ask dick cheney he would know...lol

queeq
Depends where you're changing your money I guess. I hear the rates on tatooine suck.

sweersa

I am not just talking about the clone troopers. The ships, models, are not all CGI, most of it is, but the sets and such have battle damage and such, Anakin's pod racer (when he is working on it) and a lot of the stuff in Anakin's area is just roughed up props.

queeq
In TPM yes... the amount of real world props diminishes as the PT continues.

Kapton JAC
in the PT, everything from the cities to the vehicles to the cruisers looked sleek and new. why then, does almost everything in the OT look old and decrepit? one theory I had was that there was a sort of dark age following the Empire takeover. but this is not true. for example: the Death Star. Planet destroying death rays didn't exist in the PT. so that leaves the explanation of an economic breakdown. idk.... anybody want to shed some light?

Uh... 70's film making technology vs. late 90's early 2000's film making technology?

queeq
Nope.

Jack Daniels
Dick Cheney was the supplier for the death stars fuel supply go figure

queeq
Clever.

Jack Daniels
sorry to all the cheney supporters .....if any...lol

queeq
Hope not.

sweersa
In TPM yes... the amount of real world props diminishes as the PT continues.

Agreed. Few are in ATOC, in ROTS...........

..........NO live location shots. All CGI, model enviornments (or both together) and studios.

I thought it look alright still.

queeq
It did. But a tad too much distance. IMHO OC.

sweersa
It did. But a tad too much distance. IMHO OC.

I agree. I wonder what the live action TV show will be like in this respect.

queeq
It's a cartoon... different dynamics.

sweersa
It's a cartoon... different dynamics.

I know. I was talking about the live action series that has yet to come.

Live action = real flesh and blood actors. I guess one could say in star wars live action is close to cartoons with all of the CG. lol

Jack Daniels
wait ...is the new series turned to a cartoon?...umm wtf...lol...Im lost but whats new...lol...queeq I always turn to you when Im lost as my loyal bartender....please inform me if the new series is gonna be a toon series????????????

sweersa
Originally posted by Jack Daniels
wait ...is the new series turned to a cartoon?...umm wtf...lol...Im lost but whats new...lol...queeq I always turn to you when Im lost as my loyal bartender....please inform me if the new series is gonna be a toon series????????????

I am talking about the live-action flesh and blood TV show which is supposed to come out in 2009.

The cartoon/CGI animation movie is due soon, I believe it will be followed by a TV series in the same style (stylized CGI) after it.

queeq
The live action series will prolly be much like the PT.

sweersa
The live action series will prolly be much like the PT.

Yay! :-)

queeq
I dunno..... don't get your hopes up.

sweersa
I dunno..... don't get your hopes up.

It will be like the Prequels but with a low budget....oh no.

Darth Subjekt
oh, you mean shitty dialog and overall poor writing?

Jack Daniels
man it's fixin to be the weekend....free drinks....Im goin to the milk bar!

sweersa
Originally posted by Darth Subjekt
oh, you mean shitty dialog and overall poor writing?

Wasn't that bad. It has its moments, for better or for worse.

queeq
It had its moments??? That says it all.

But I doubt Lucas will write the episodes himself, so we may be lucky.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.