What is your favorite era(or decade) of comics?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Starscream M
And why?

Galan007
90's

Starscream M
Originally posted by Galan007
90's me too...any reason in particular?

I liked it because it was when there were actually comic shops near my school, and there were good comic cartoons on tv (fantastic 4, iron man, xmen, spiderman, batman)

also, it was a time when comics had more innocence? plots were simpler and characters were more iconic in some ways

today, comics are becoming more realistic and complex, which some like and some don't

Mr. Slippyfist
80's?

'Cause writers just didn't give a shit what they put in comics.
David Hasselhoff in a Queen suit? He's bigger than LT.

Galan007
Originally posted by Starscream M
me too...any reason in particular?Many reasons, really. Mainly because it seems like the best arcs I enjoy most], were published in the 90's.
today, comics are becoming more realistic and complex, which some like and some don't Writers are just trying to market to a broader spectrum of people, by putting a more sophisticated feel on comics nowadays.

Symmetric Chaos
90s

Don't really know why but most of my favorite arcs seem to come from around that time.

Darth Vicious
90's for me too. Thats when I really got into comics. Then X-men cartoon came out and at the time it was the shit. Also Image was born in the 90's and a lot of their early stuff was really good.

llagrok
90s

X-men.

willRules
784 B.C was a good year....

ExodusCloak
Eww...90's...I'm going to go with Late 80's Early 90's (Anything in the Mid/Late 90's was just unnecessary especially X-Men thus I blocked it out)...can't say I'm not enjoying the 00's though.

Symmetric Chaos
The decade that produced this story line was pretty awesome in retrospect.

Anyway two masked men from the future convince both Batman and the UN that Superman is responsible for a slew of crimes in the future. The future men claim that Superman will eventually get into contact with a weird form of red kryptonite that will turn him evil(Kind of like what happens to him in Superman 3). We are then shown a montage of panels which shows various superdickery like Supes shinking a ship,burning a library,destroying the Taj Mahal,and wrecking statues of Jimmy Olsen and Perry White.

But his ultimate crime is when he builds a big Superman shaped satellite and sends it to the year 4069 which shoots out a ray that changes the people affected by it into primitive beings. To prove this the futuremen take off their masks to reveal that they have the faces of apes(Cue dramatic music). Superman then travels to the future to see if they were lying and apparently they weren't because he sees the Superman satellite turning people into apes.

When Superman returns from the future the UN finds him guilty but when the verdict is being made the balcony to the building was about to collapse and about to crush the chairman. Supes saves him despite his guilty verdict. After that the futuremen,the UN members,and our heroes take a lunch break(This scene is acutally vital to plot). We then find Superman's punishment for his future crime is to get a lobotomy but when it is about to begin he freaks out saying "TAMPER WITH MY BRAIN WILL YOU? YYYAAARRRR". Or so it seems that he freaked out.

It is then revealed that the future men's ape faces are also masks and that they are really Lex Luthor and Brainiac trying to frame Superman. How did Superman find out that they were fakes? Well during the lunch scene(See I told you that scene was vital to the plot)the futuremen claim that they only eat capsules as their food yet one of them is seen eating a steak while sprinkling salt and pepper as if he knew what they were. The whole scene with the Superman satellite was also a fake because it is proven that Lex and Brainiac went to a future movie studio to make it look like a Superman satellite is turning everyone into apes. Finally at the end of the issue Superman and Batman are awarded with their own UN flags to shown with the other nation's flags.

Grinning Goku
Very late 80's and the 90's.

Don't remember too much of the late 80's stuff. I would have only been 4 or 5 at the time. Anyways, I loved the X-Men, Superman, Wolverine, Spider-Man, Iron Man, The Fantastic Four, Batman and the Hulk. Didn't care for Ghost Rider, Doctor Strange, Captain America, The Avengers, Thor and some others.

ExodusCloak
Originally posted by Grinning Goku
Very late 80's and the 90's.

Don't remember too much of the late 80's stuff. I would have only been 4 or 5 at the time. Anyways, I loved the X-Men, Superman, Wolverine, Spider-Man, Iron Man, The Fantastic Four, Batman and the Hulk. Didn't care for Ghost Rider, Doctor Strange, Captain America, The Avengers, Thor and some others.

Me neither, but I went back and read some of the 80's and 90's stuff. Adam X is the personification as to why the 90's(In Mainstream X-Men titles anyway) was just so ...unnecessary. Also the art in some of those issues were again unnecessary.(Having 7 pockets and two belts is ridiculous)
Also it was the birth of Gambit and time-travelling heaven (Cough*) Bishop and Cable (Cough*)

WrathfulDwarf
The 90s were the golden age of hacks in comics.

Starscream M
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
The 90s were the golden age of hacks in comics. not really, some of the most entertaining arcs (maximum carnage, knightfall, death of superman, and onslaught) all happened in the 90s

llagrok
Maximum carnage was shit, I hated it.

Blight
Although I'm not a huge fan of the big guns big abs big pecs section of the 90's era. But I grew up with it and I think a lot of inspiring things came out of it.

ExodusCloak
not really, some of the most entertaining arcs (maximum carnage, knightfall, death of superman, and onslaught) all happened in the 90s

Onslaught was pretty much crap on a stick. erm

Originally posted by Blight
big guns big abs big pecs section

I was waiting for someone to shout..."X-TREEEEEEME!!!!" you came closest to it. Congrats.

Starscream M
Originally posted by ExodusCloak

I was waiting for someone to shout..."X-TREEEEEEME!!!!" you came closest to it. Congrats. the ending was crap, but I enjoyed it otherwise

willRules
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
The decade that produced this story line was pretty awesome in retrospect.

Anyway two masked men from the future convince both Batman and the UN that Superman is responsible for a slew of crimes in the future. The future men claim that Superman will eventually get into contact with a weird form of red kryptonite that will turn him evil(Kind of like what happens to him in Superman 3). We are then shown a montage of panels which shows various superdickery like Supes shinking a ship,burning a library,destroying the Taj Mahal,and wrecking statues of Jimmy Olsen and Perry White.

But his ultimate crime is when he builds a big Superman shaped satellite and sends it to the year 4069 which shoots out a ray that changes the people affected by it into primitive beings. To prove this the futuremen take off their masks to reveal that they have the faces of apes(Cue dramatic music). Superman then travels to the future to see if they were lying and apparently they weren't because he sees the Superman satellite turning people into apes.

When Superman returns from the future the UN finds him guilty but when the verdict is being made the balcony to the building was about to collapse and about to crush the chairman. Supes saves him despite his guilty verdict. After that the futuremen,the UN members,and our heroes take a lunch break(This scene is acutally vital to plot). We then find Superman's punishment for his future crime is to get a lobotomy but when it is about to begin he freaks out saying "TAMPER WITH MY BRAIN WILL YOU? YYYAAARRRR". Or so it seems that he freaked out.

It is then revealed that the future men's ape faces are also masks and that they are really Lex Luthor and Brainiac trying to frame Superman. How did Superman find out that they were fakes? Well during the lunch scene(See I told you that scene was vital to the plot)the futuremen claim that they only eat capsules as their food yet one of them is seen eating a steak while sprinkling salt and pepper as if he knew what they were. The whole scene with the Superman satellite was also a fake because it is proven that Lex and Brainiac went to a future movie studio to make it look like a Superman satellite is turning everyone into apes. Finally at the end of the issue Superman and Batman are awarded with their own UN flags to shown with the other nation's flags.

tv_happy wheelchair

Bad Ash231
maximum carnage

no expression

Maximum Carnage was 14 issues of Spider-Man and Captain America wasting their time with F list heroes against some lame villains that should have been defeated in one issue.

llagrok
Originally posted by Bad Ash231
no expression

Maximum Carnage was 14 issues of Spider-Man and Captain America wasting their time with F list heroes against some lame villains that should have been defeated in one issue.

How many times did they attack and retreat in that crossover? Once an issue?

Darth Vicious
F**k Maximum Carnage. Age of Apocalypse came out in the 90's and that was the shit!

Arcarsenal
not really, some of the most entertaining arcs (maximum carnage, knightfall, death of superman, and onslaught) all happened in the 90s
http://i31.tinypic.com/2z4lms4.gif

Blight

I was waiting for someone to shout..."X-TREEEEEEME!!!!" you came closest to it. Congrats. I was actually surprised it wasn't the second post mentioned.

Endless Mike
80s were fun, but I also like the 21st century comics

Mr. Slippyfist
Originally posted by Endless Mike
80s were fun, but I also like the 21st century comics Same here.

jumpmann
2000's.

Easy choice.

Oh yeah reason...cause this decade has produced more quality books than any other. Boom.

Blight
Yeah Ultimates 3 is so much better than the dirty likes of Sandman & the Watchmen..

Bad Ash231
Yeah Ultimates 3 is so much better than the dirty likes of Sandman & the Watchmen..

durfist

llagrok

Oh snap.

But what about Lucifer and The Authority?

Not AS great, but still great.

Blight
Originally posted by llagrok
Oh snap.

But what about Lucifer and The Authority?

Not AS great, but still great. Lucifer was an offshoot of sandman, any glory it gets goes to sandman in my opinion. And the Authority is rad but it's just a "With Teeth" Version of Classic Superheroes... no real boundries are being broken with this title like the watchmen.

Regardless, my comment was more to be a dick than anything, but the facts remain true.

DigiMark007
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
The 90s were the golden age of hacks in comics.

laughing out loud

Self-pwnage ftw!

Anyway, I'll take maybe '85-'95, just because I can't find one specific decade (actually, this current decade would likely win that category for me...comics is in a good state right now).

Anyway, that time period gave us Watchmen, Sandman, the original Crisis, Secret Wars, Death's Head II, and ended before most of the X-TREME nonsense (mid-to-late 90's for most titles). Also just before Spidey jumps the shark with the clone saga. Though most of my Death's Head II comics are squarely entrenched in the "massive pecs and guns" time period, and occurred in the early-to-mid 90's. But it works for him more so than most characters.

Blight
Originally posted by DigiMark007
laughing out loud

Self-pwnage ftw!

Anyway, I'll take maybe '85-'95, just because I can't find one specific decade (actually, this current decade would likely win that category for me...comics is in a good state right now).

Anyway, that time period gave us Watchmen, Sandman, the original Crisis, Secret Wars, Death's Head II, and ended before most of the X-TREME nonsense (mid-to-late 90's for most titles). Though most of my Death's Head II comics are squarely entrenched in the "massive pecs and guns" time period, and occurred in the early-to-mid 90's. But it works for him more so than most characters. I'm going to have to agree with this dude up here thumb up thumb up thumb up thumb up thumb up whole heartedly.

WrathfulDwarf
Knightfall and Death of Superman were necessary.

Maximum Carnage and Onslaught......I dunno...

Blight
Maximum carnage was overall cool... except how annoying Spiderman was during it. I SO sided with Venom.

DigiMark007
Most people did. It's not that the titles he listed were awful (except Onslaught), but that none of them were particularly good either. Hell, I could name 4 events in the past 5 years that are better, even with occasional crap like HoM.

Starscream M
Most people did. It's not that the titles he listed were awful (except Onslaught), but that none of them were particularly good either. Hell, I could name 4 events in the past 5 years that are better, even with occasional crap like HoM. onslaught saga (except the ending) is better than all of the marvel events this decade imo

WrathfulDwarf
onslaught saga (except the ending) is better than all of the marvel events this decade imo

Well if you're comparing it to OMD....then you're trying to find the best of two evils.

ExodusCloak
onslaught saga (except the ending) is better than all of the marvel events this decade imo

The Messiah Complex is far more solid then the Onslaught Saga. And as much fanwanking WWH involved it was still more solid then the Onslaught Saga as was Civil War and most probably Secret Invasion from the looks of things.

I'd place the Onslaught Saga on the same level as House of M.

DigiMark007

Taste is subjective, so I can't formally say that you're wrong. But nearly all critical reviews and reader feedback, as well as how it is remembered, disagree with you.

I'd rather take Annihilation, CW, 52, Justice, Kingdom Come, a bunch of indy minis that are too numerous to list, and probably many others I'm forgetting. And nothing I listed would be universally considered "great" which just goes to show that even if not everyone agrees with my assessment, Onslaught Saga shares its company with mediocre titles, not the elite.

Starscream M
Taste is subjective, so I can't formally say that you're wrong. But nearly all critical reviews and reader feedback, as well as how it is remembered, disagree with you.
what was so bad with onslaught saga (aside from the atrocious ending)?

llagrok
The Messiah Complex is far more solid then the Onslaught Saga. And as much fanwanking WWH involved it was still more solid then the Onslaught Saga as was Civil War and most probably Secret Invasion from the looks of things.

I'd place the Onslaught Saga on the same level as House of M.

I honestly wouldn't put WWH above Onslaught saga, not sure about messiah complex either.

nimbus006
Loved the 90's, but the last 8 years of the 21st century have been IMO the best.

Here are a few titles and arcs that I enjoyed which were created in the 2000's:

1. Sinestro Corps War (including most tie-ins)
2. Green Lantern: Rebirth
3. Annihilation
4. Infinite Crisis (and the pre-arcs i.e DOV)
5. Civil War
6. Batman/Superman
7. Messiah Complex
8. Planet Hulk
9. Spiderman: Other
10. Thanos's short series
11. Nova's run
12. Extremis Ironman
13. Thor's run
14. Astonishing X-Men
15. Ultimate F4

ExodusCloak
Originally posted by llagrok
I honestly wouldn't put WWH above Onslaught saga, not sure about messiah complex either.

I'd place MC easily over Onslaught. And even though Planet Hulk was much better then WWH, I'd say WWH still had 2-3 good tie-ins which is still more then Onslaught had going for it. I think the whole cryptic Onslaughts Prelude/Rising books were probaby the best bit of the whole crossover.

llagrok
I'd place MC easily over Onslaught. And even though Planet Hulk was much better then WWH, I'd say WWH still had 2-3 good tie-ins which is still more then Onslaught had going for it. I think the whole cryptic Onslaughts Prelude/Rising books were probaby the best bit of the whole crossover.

And they were great.

Onslaught Saga was filled with PIS, so was WWH. For the love of god, suddenly the Huc had thousands of fanboys referring to him as King Hulk?

The overall feel of Onslaught saga was great in my opinion. I enjoyed the read somewhat, something I did not do with WWH.

draxx_tOfU
I was waiting for someone to shout..."X-TREEEEEEME!!!!" you came closest to it. Congrats.

Jim Lee extreme...

jumpmann
Yeah *insert one random terrible comic from the 80's* is much better than the dirty likes of *insert two out of the many amazing series that this decade has already produced"*.

GOT YOU THERE LOL Happy Dance

manjaro
i say f **** the 90's...the 90's were rife with over sized muscles, over sized guns, over achieving plots and unresolved story lines... bing bam boom...big battle with Apocalypse/Magneto/Sinister/Kree/Skrulls....lets not try to find him under that building we just dropped on him lets just walk away dramatically and say how our lives were changed forever only to have the bad guy stick his hand out of the rubble in the last panel....oh and have somebody quit the team all dramatic like.

bing, bam boom. the avenger have a big battle with some cosmic bad guys, its usually up to cap or another non powered hero to pull a rabbit out the ass or give them a speech long enuff to either distract them or change thier minds altoghter then they ome back to earth and throw a BBQ while the Xmen play Baseball, or have snow ball fights after the end of an arc

I dont even wanna get started on DC....in this day and age the '00's i dont see how anyone can go wrong with the Ultimate line, that saved comics for me...with the exception of the HoM thing UXM, AXM, FF, and that short lived Namor series gave me hope also....in retrospect even DC has stepped thier game up a little. especially green lantern wise....so 2000's FTW

manjaro
oh and lets not forget the soliloqy....major bad guys, and all the cosmics were going on like they were auditioing for a shakespeare play....magento and Xavier worst of all

Mr. Slippyfist
The Avengers lineup early 90's was just awful.

Also, I enjoyed the 70's as well. Thor comics, and who could forget Korvac?

starlock
I would say first the 70's, to me comics were magic to me at my age at the time...then the 90's

I could care less for the ultimate line, the realistic view on comics these days,the"lets kill them for sales" and the overbearing sometimes mundane cross overs that go nowhere..the lets have a six part story twice a year for trades.....

Cartesian Doubt
From 1996 to - Now

Most of my favourite comics have come out since then ....

The Authority
Kingdome Come
Stormwatch (Ellis run)
Mark Waids Flash
Grant Morison's JLA
Planetary
Batman's Hush
Geoff Johns JSA
Bendis Dare Devil
Brubakers Captain Ammerica
Morison's X-men
Wheeldons X-men
Transmetropolitan (Ellis)
Mark Waids JLA
Infinite Crisis
Iron man Extermis
Allstar Superman
Enemy of the State

Cartesian Doubt
Originally posted by manjaro
i say f **** the 90's...the 90's were rife with over sized muscles, over sized guns, over achieving plots and unresolved story lines... bing bam boom...big battle with Apocalypse/Magneto/Sinister/Kree/Skrulls....lets not try to find him under that building we just dropped on him lets just walk away dramatically and say how our lives were changed forever only to have the bad guy stick his hand out of the rubble in the last panel....oh and have somebody quit the team all dramatic like.

bing, bam boom. the avenger have a big battle with some cosmic bad guys, its usually up to cap or another non powered hero to pull a rabbit out the ass or give them a speech long enuff to either distract them or change thier minds altoghter then they ome back to earth and throw a BBQ while the Xmen play Baseball, or have snow ball fights after the end of an arc

I dont even wanna get started on DC....in this day and age the '00's i dont see how anyone can go wrong with the Ultimate line, that saved comics for me...with the exception of the HoM thing UXM, AXM, FF, and that short lived Namor series gave me hope also....in retrospect even DC has stepped thier game up a little. especially green lantern wise....so 2000's FTW

Yeah I forgot about the Ultimates, some of my favourite Comics there ...

Ultimate X-men (up unitll the return of the King)
Ultimates 1 and 2
Ultimate Galaktus part 3.
Millers run on Ultimate FF4

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by manjaro

00's have been awesome with generally more complex stories but the 90s were just more fun in comparaison, IMO of course. There really is something to be said for big crazy fights with the Avengers or the JLA even if that's the whole plot.

Cartesian Doubt
Taste is subjective, so I can't formally say that you're wrong.

Idiocy syncratic .... i say that some taste is objective

I.e. no one likes "crap" by definition .....

Sorry, being pedantic

Kazenji
Dark Horse had some good shit back in the 90's with all their Aliens, Predator and AVP stuff

but now theres shit all for that kind of thing from them.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Cartesian Doubt

Sorry, being pedantic

But "crap" is still subjective. Hell even "likes" is somewhat subjective.

Arcarsenal
Originally posted by Cartesian Doubt

Sorry, being pedantic
2girls1cup?

DigiMark007
Originally posted by Arcarsenal
2girls1cup?

What is seen cannot be unseen.

no expression

comicfan11
The '90s
Sandman, Morrison's JLA, PAD Aquaman, The beginning of JSA, Deathstroke, Starman, Spectre, Kingdom Come, Infinity Saga, Spawn.
Plus Batman TAS was in the '90s

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.