GOP's Grip on Christian Right Loosens

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Symmetric Chaos
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/politics/2004406277_evangvote11m.html

Love that last line coming from a born again Christian.

Admiral Akbar
He wouldn't vote either side and we all know why.

Bardock42
Funny, I always thought it was the Christian Right's grip on the GOP.

chithappens
I still don't feel like I understand why this shift is happening.

Zeal Ex Nihilo
Originally posted by Admiral Akbar
Hillary's a lesbian, that's why.

sithsaber408
That's a good post, and I agree with that last line as well, Jesus wouldn't necessarily be voting Republican.

Many Christians are aware of the fact that Republicans have counted us as a "trump card" to win certain elections (2004, anybody?) that they might otherwise loose by playing the "family values" card.

Trouble is, those same Republicans often don't believe or live up to the "family values" platform that they run on. They get caught in affairs, gay scandals, choking their mistresses, etc...

In many cases, I can respect a liberal Democrat more for saying: "Well, this is what I'm about and what I believe" and actually sticking to it. At least they let you know up front who they are.

That said, the article is hardly some indication that Christians will pick Obama. It said 15% of young voters ages 18-35 are not identified as Republican, with 5% switching to Dems and the other 10% as "independent or undecided".

Hardly a coup for Obama. In fact, being a 25 year old Christian conservative, I can tell you I'm voting for McCain, and most others in my age/religious group are too.

But we're all keeping a much closer eye on the Republicans, and what they "stand for" and try to tie us into.

The best thing for Christians would be to make a 3rd party, the Christian Values Party or something, and see if the 100 million Americans who identify themselves as Evangelicals (along with any other Catholics, Deists, conservatives) would vote for such a candidate.

If not, maybe we could get back to helping out homeless people and widows like we're supposed to, and being a benefit to the community by changing peoples lives from the inside out, not necessarily from Washington D.C.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Admiral Akbar

Because he would not know how to read English? confused

Bardock42
Originally posted by sithsaber408
If not, maybe we could get back to helping out homeless people and widows like we're supposed to, and being a benefit to the community by changing peoples lives from the inside out, not necessarily from Washington D.C.

Haha. I think I get you now.

Schecter
T
Trouble is, those same Republicans often don't believe or live up to the "family values" platform that they run on. They get caught in affairs, gay scandals, choking their mistresses, etc...

In many cases, I can respect a liberal Democrat more for saying: "Well, this is what I'm about and what I believe" and actually sticking to it. At least they let you know up front who they are.

conclusion: you respect liberal Democrats for being honest and up front about 'affairs, gay scandals, choking their mistresses, etc...'. thats what liberals are all about, after all...between meals of baby flesh and puppy blood.

Devil King
The best thing for Christians would be to make a 3rd party, the Christian Values Party or something, and see if the 100 million Americans who identify themselves as Evangelicals (along with any other Catholics, Deists, conservatives) would vote for such a candidate.

Oh, please do. That would be so nice. It might send a message that you need to keep your god in your pants when you're out in public, PLUS it would legitimize the chances of a 3rd party candidate.

lord xyz
Originally posted by Zeal Ex Nihilo
Hillary's a lesbian, that's why. And black people are from the devil.

Robtard
Originally posted by Devil King
Oh, please do. That would be so nice. It might send a message that you need to keep your god in your pants when you're out in public, PLUS it would legitimize the chances of a 3rd party candidate.

There somewhat is one already.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitution_Party_(United_States)

http://www.constitutionparty.com/

Schecter
"legitimize the chances" as in a 3rd party candidate actually managing to compete and possibly win

red g jacks
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
"I just keep thinking, if Jesus were alive now, he wouldn't necessarily be voting Republican," he said. lol

Devil King
I think the key word is "legitimize". I would also love to see 85 % of the republican party start to short circuit and beging shutting down like battle droids when you took god away from them. People literally would have no idea what to do.

edit-didn't mean to repeat what others said. i got distracted watcching a guy get electrocuted on youtube.

Robtard
Originally posted by Devil King
I think the key word is "legitimize". I would also love to see 85 % of the republican party start to short circuit and beging shutting down like battle droids when you took god away from them. People literally would have no idea what to do.

edit-didn't mean to repeat what others said. i got distracted watcching a guy get electrocuted on youtube.

Though it would be hysterically funny watching the Republicans and this Christian Party battle over who loved Jesus more. In the end, you'd have many Republicans jumping ship to the Christian Party, if it indeed proved to have that many supporters.

Devil King
That sounds like a win-win situation for the country.

Robtard
Hell yeah, we'd have The Democrats Vs. The Theocracy Party.

sithsaber408
Wouldn't it then be even funnier if the Dems loose to them? wink

Robtard
[Considering the many different facets of Christianity, it would be a knee-slapping riot. Since there would be squabbling over how exactly Jesus would want America managed, that is once the initial kneejerk reaction of "just vote for the party that loves Jesus" wore off.

Bardock42
Wouldn't it then be even funnier if the Dems loose to them? wink Funny in kinda the same way that 1984 was funny, I suppose.

WrathfulDwarf
Democrats...Republicans....all fanboys in my book. thumb down

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.