Documentaries

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Selphie
What are some of your favorite documentaries? Any you'd strongly recommend for others?

BackFire
Titicut Follies. One of the only films ever banned in America. It's amazing.

Good luck finding it, though. It's nearly impossible to find.

Selphie
Originally posted by BackFire

Good luck finding it, though. It's nearly impossible to find.

And what's that about?

Röland

BackFire
Originally posted by Selphie
And what's that about?

Documentary about a how the patients in a mental institution are treated and abused.

Bardock42
Hehe, Titty**** jollies...weird name.

MildPossession
I really want to see Titicut Follies.

Some I like:

The Corporation
Grizzly Man
Spellbound
The Aileen Wuornos ones by Nick Broomfield
Bowling for Columbine, and Sicko
Koyaanisqatsi
Etre et avoir

Impediment
F*ck - about the word f*ck

The Bridge - about how the Golden Gate Bridge is the world's #1 suicide site and how people from all over the globe travel there to commit suicide. It even has actual footage of jumpers.

The Question of God - a docu about Sigmund Freud and C.S. Lewis and their respective atheist beliefs, even though Lewis converted to Christianity.

Metal: A Headbangers Journey - About the origins and inspirations of heavy metal from it's beginning to as it is now. Very fun to watch, if you're a metalhead, like me.

jaden101
night and fog...perhaps the best and most powerful documentary ever made...it's a french film about the holocaust...magnificent

the last tommy...a documentary about the last 6 surviving WW1 soldiers of the British army

planet earth...goes without saying...the best nature documentary ever made and the big screen version looks spectacular

Heima: Sigur Ros documentary...brilliant

rain in my heart: story of 4 severe alcoholics and their battle with drink and their stories of why they drink

ragesRemorse
A few of my favorites

paradise lost; the child murders at Robin Hood Hills
Paradise lost 2; Revelations
Iceman; Confessions of a serial killer
Waco: the rules of engagement

MildPossession
Oo Sigur Ros one for me too, totally forgot about that dvd.

=Tired Hiker=
The King Of Kong
The Bridge
Hearts Of Darkness

And then there's this one doc I watched a few years ago where some guy documented his life from when he was eight years old until he was in his twenties and he was gay and his parents beat him and neglected him and stuff, it was quite compelling, but I don't remember it's name.

Selphie
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
A few of my favorites

paradise lost; the child murders at Robin Hood Hills
Paradise lost 2; Revelations
Iceman; Confessions of a serial killer
Waco: the rules of engagement

Paradise lost.........would this be about the West Memphis Three?

ragesRemorse
Paradise lost.........would this be about the West Memphis Three?

yep

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by MildPossession
Oo Sigur Ros one for me too, totally forgot about that dvd.

what is that about?

WrathfulDwarf
I'm a bigger fan of the obscure and bizarre world of documentaries.

There is Shocking Asia which I saw when I was a teen. Pretty bizarre back then for me.

Then there is the most sickest doc ever filmed which is call Shocking Africa or Africa Adiou. I've seen the 83 min. version which is heavy cut and is pretty disturbing enough. The 124 minutes version is known to have the most offensive material and remains banned in most countries.

Believe me I'm not exaggerating...it was sicker than Cannibal Holocaust and Men Behind the Sun and Cannibal Ferox put together. This stuff looked real to me. Good luck trying to find it if you're into been disgusted.

Blax_Hydralisk
Independence Day.

Quiero Mota
What are some of your favorite documentaries? Any you'd strongly recommend for others?

The Root of All Evil?

casper_rific
I don't really remember the title of this documentary but it was a film about poverty and how it affects children who are forced to work instead of play.

There was another documentary about the causes of climate change which was shown to us once during one of or Social Science class. It was a really comprehensive documentray, in my opinion.

MildPossession
Ah how could I forget that! It's called Tarnation.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
The Root of All Evil? That was pretty good.

=Tired Hiker=
Ah how could I forget that! It's called Tarnation.

Yeah, that's the one. Very touching documentary.

ragesRemorse
Here a few documentaries that always make me feel good after watching.

Brainman
Born into Brothels
The real Rainman
Do you believe in miracles; story of the 1980 us olympic hockey team

Documentaries that make me feel like shit after watching

The decline of the western civilization
Crumb
Wallmart; high cost of low prices
Mardi Gras, made in China
Taxi to the dark side ( i know it's knew, but i saw it recently, made me feel really shitty)

the category that make me wanna pack up and run for the hills after watching

American zeitgeist
Jesus camp
Dan Akroyd on Ufo's
Out of the Blue

Bardock42
Walmart: High Cost of Low Price made me feel like shit, too. Being a big pile of it.

Strangelove
Originally posted by BackFire

Good luck finding it, though. It's nearly impossible to find. Says on the wikipedia page that it's available on DVD no expression

Strangelove
Originally posted by Impediment
F*ck - about the word f*ck

The Bridge - about how the Golden Gate Bridge is the world's #1 suicide site and how people from all over the globe travel there to commit suicide. It even has actual footage of jumpers.

The Question of God - a docu about Sigmund Freud and C.S. Lewis and their respective atheist beliefs, even though Lewis converted to Christianity.

Metal: A Headbangers Journey - About the origins and inspirations of heavy metal from it's beginning to as it is now. Very fun to watch, if you're a metalhead, like me. I would really like to see The Bridge.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Grizzly Man is awesome. Just so awesome, man. The bit where you watch Herzog listen to the recording...Woah.

Also, too many idiots haven't seen DIG! That's retarded. DIG! is everything a music documentary should be. See that.

MildPossession
DIG! was rather good. That's the one with Dandy Warhols and the other band I can never remember the name.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Brian Jones Massacre, or something...

Yeah, it's good fun.

Bardock42
DIG! was rather good. That's the one with Dandy Warhols and the other band I can never remember the name. Brian Jonestown Massacre, I assume.

Awesome band.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Ooo, look at your and your one-man-up-man-ship-man-retarded (dog).

Selphie
So I was looking through what's going to be on IFC, and it looks like they're showing some documentaries, just a heads up for anyone interested. Something worth checking out.

EliotNess
I love Standing in the Shadows of Motown, American Movie, The Kid Stays in the Picture, Go Tigers, Hoop Dreams, A Decade Under the Influence, Out of Ireland, The Last Waltz, and The Wrecking Crew--and I cannot WAIT for American Teen--what are some great docs I'm missing out on?

EliotNess
Thought of more--you mentioned DIG, it was awesome--Mad Hot Ballroom and Spellbound were great, and there's a great doc on the lead singer of the Pogues, Shane McGowan, called If I Should Fall From Grace. Which he most certainly has.

I was poking around in anticipation of American Teen, and it turns out they have a KILLER facebook page--all kinds of detail on the bands on the soundtrack, the kids in the movie, advanced screenings, contests, the whole lot. They really took advantage of the platform. They even have an application where you find out what 'type' you were in high school--jock, princess, rebel, geek. I was totally a geek. Anyhoo.

Mr Parker
some really good ones to see are

Fahrenheit 9/11-MUST SEE!!!-
Waco Rules of Engagement-another must see.
other great ones can think of-
Hoop Dreams
The Corporation
Inside Deep Throat
Anne Frank Remembered
A Brief History Of Time

EliotNess
Saw a great Woodie Guthrie doc on PBS, can't think of the name off hand--I think it was one of his songs, Ramblin' Man or something...

Netflixed Go Tigers! in anticipation of Friday's American Teen release...what it is about high school stories that get to me? I think it's cuz I was unpopular in high school that these stories still resonate with me (not just the docs--the John Hughes stuff, Buffy when she was in high school, Freaks & Geeks)--part of me wants to relive it vicariously to be someone else, and part of me has to watch like when you slow down to view an accident on the highway, and part of me just wants to see the nerd win for once...they always say you always see yourself as who you were in high school, no matter how old you are--anybody else find that to be true?

MightyCelestial
I haven't see that many,
but of the few I've seen,
here are my faves:

10. Crumb - Meet an eccentric who takes the idea of artistic integrity to most purest/extremist definition & who comes from a family in which he comes off as the most normal one of the bunch.

9. Grizzly Man - While we're on the subject of taking things to the extreme, this film follows a man's journey into the world of the grizzly bear.
Or as some may say, his journey into the gullet of the grizzly bear.
Now don't quote me on this,
but I heard that there's a rumour that this guy's remains were fined a citation by park officials.
For breaking the forest rule that states "Do not feed the bears".

8. Fahrenheit 9/11 - Political partisanships aside, any Michael Moore film is good to watch just for the sake of watching a master documentary film-maker at work.

7. Roger & Me - Ditto.

6. Brother's Keeper - A town comes together for one of their own.
Well....
one of their own that came "outta the the abandoned basement of society", which we have all seem to deny exists. Until, media comes arunnin' to shine it's light of "subjective truth" upon it.
A story that starts out macabrely weird & ends up macabrely moving.

5. Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse - With events like rented military helicopters being called off during a scene of Apocalypse Now, so they can go engage in an actual combat for an actual war that was going on at the time & then Martin Sheen having a heart attack between shooting scenes, all happening during the filming of this movie, the true story of how this movie was made is almost as surreal & engaging as actual the movie itself.

4. Jesus Camp - Back when I was a kid, I was sent to a Jesus camp for one summer.
I even earned a badge for being able to whistle thru my stigmatas.

3. Streetwise - An emotionally wrenching ending, because it's real life & not a script. This film focuses those who are easily forgotten & brings to the surface their reality & all the drama & emotion that the world of escapism entertainment can never really compare to.

2. 42 & Up - Taking the film segments of the various people chosen for this project as children & watching 'em up against the segments of them as adults, it's almost spooky on it's perspective & can beg the question, at what point in life do humans lose the expressionisms of freespiritness that naturally comes with being a child & become the more restrained walking representative of a crushed spirit that many adults can easily end up as?

1. Anne Frank Remembered - As with everyone else, sometimes, it gets pretty easy for me to forget how good I really have it in life. Every time I watch this movie, & hear the part when Anne writes in her diary of her waiting for things to get back to normal, as a viewer who knows that for her it never will, it serves as a great reminder to me that not taking things for granted is an act of appreciation that should never wait until tomorrow. The only existing moving-figure footage of Anne that is included in this documentary, truly serves to enhance the importance of this lesson of gratitude.

DeVi| D0do
Hoop Dreams, Hearts of Darkness... thumb up

Aristocrats for the lols. As a doco it's nothing special...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.