Begins sequal increases Batmans darkness

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Mr Parker
Okay I wanted to post this article that was printed in the kansas city star back in march but the Batman section back then was so dead I thought I would wait till around this time when the movie got closer to its release date to post it since I figured by then there would be more activitiy in the Batman section and thankfully there is.I see more and more people who arent regulars posting in the Batman section now with the release date closer which is good, so I figure now is as good a time as any to post this especially since there will be even more activity here in a month from now you got to figure.This article is from the showtime section from the kansas city star from the date of saturday march 15th and here is what the article goes on to say-the headline is-THE EDGE OF "KNIGHT" subtitle-Christopher Nolans follow up to Batman Begins increases crusaders darkness.It then goes on to say-

The late Heath Ledger's portrayel as The Joker was so intense that it left him completely drained,according to the films cinematographer.Chicago,a dreary office plaza at Wabash street and the river,late afternoon.A mist blows in from Lake Michigan.

A few stories overhead,a stunt double in a familiar black-caped costume swings from a hoist,slamming into a window in the tower that we shall imagine is Gothem City Hall.A noose is around his neck,a knife plunged into his heart.

The meaning is clear:Batman-or at least his doppelganger-is dead.
Christopher Nolan,the director of "The Dark Knight"-the follow up to his 2005 "Batman Begins"-is unperturbed by the rain,but a tiny detail irks him.

"Hey Buster!" he shouts to the stuntman,craning his neck skyward and raising his voice for the first time all day."could you turn yourself a little more to the left?"

In so many ways this isnt what you'd expect of a $180 million hollywood comic-book movie sequal with a zillion moving parts,a cast of thousands and sets from here to Hong Kong.Anyone else would shoot indoors,use digital effects or wait for clear skies.

Nolan rolls with the weather's punches,believing that the messiness of reality cant be faked.Another filmmaker would leave a shot like this in the hands of a second unit director,but Nolan doesnt use one.If its on the screen,he directed it.

That kind of maestro is just what Warner Bros. wanted five years ago when it hired Nolan to restore a jewel of a property that had become a laughingstock with Joel Schumachers 1997 reviled "Batman and Robin."

"If the people who make the film arent taking it seriously," Nolan said,summarizing fans view of the 1997 movie,"why should we?"

Now the question is whether Nolans vision of Batman can not only maintain its hold on the imaginations of comic fans,but also expand its reach to a wider,summer moviegoeing audience,even as the death of Heath Ledger,who played the Joker in "The Dark Knight," has added unanticipated morbidity to the films deliberate darkness.

"Batman Begins" catapulted Nolan into the top tier of mainstream filmmakers.Critics mostly loved it,though some seemed to resent him for leaving the indie world behind.

His Caped Crusader,Christian Bale,recalls how "people would kind of laugh" when they heard that he and Nolan were taking Batman seriously.

But when they finally saw the film,the same people would say,"what a surprise."

"I believe that even the most popcorn like movie can be done incredibly well,and can have something that you really have to work at," Bale said.

"The Dark Knight." which will be released July 18,is jammed with characters,plot and action,It picks up where "Batman Begins" left off,with Gary Oldman's police lieutenant,Jim Gordon,warning that Batman's extreme meausures could invite a like response from the criminal element.

and sure enough,a deadly new villain,the Joker,emerges to wreck havoc.

In a political context this would politely be called an "unintended consequence." "Gothem as Baghdad,anyone?"

Nolan doesnt deny the overtones.

"As we looked through the comics,there was this fascinating idea that Batman's presence in Gothem actually attracts criminals to Gothem,attracts lunacy," he said."When you're dealing with questionable notions like people taking the law into their own hands,you have to really ask, 'where does that lead?' Thats what makes the character so dark,because he expresses a vengeful desire."

In Bale's view,"The Dark Knight" is an even lonelier outing for his character.

"This esculation has now meant that he feels more of a duty to continue," he said."And now you have not just a young man in pain attempting to find some kind of an answer,you have somebody who actually has power,who is burdened by that power,and is having to recognize the difference between attaining that power and holding on to it."

Rebooting the Batman franchise may be behind him,but Nolan still has to improve upon it.Sequals are always trickier.And now he must also navigate the aftermath of the jan 22 death of Ledger.

It happened well into editing,and only after the studio had introduced Ledgers Joker through posters and trailers.But it automatically raised the stakes: would the acclaimed actors final role be a comicbook grotesque?

Worse,though Ledger had finished work on "The Dark Knight" in october and was already halfway through another film,news that the prescription drugs that killed him included sleep aids-along with narcotics-prompted Internet chatter about whether his intense performance as the Joker had been a factor in his demise.

Ledger called it "the most fun I've ever had,or probably ever will have,playing a character.

But his fatigue was obvious,said co star Michael Caine.

Cinematographer Wally Pfister said Ledger seemed "like he was bursting blood vessels in his head." he was so intense.

"It was like a seance,where the medium takes on another person and then is so completely drained."

Nolan,for his part,said he felt a "massive sense of responsibility" to do right by Ledgers "terrifying,amazing" performance.

"Its stunning,its iconic," he said."Its just going to blow people away."

=Tired Hiker=
After actually reading all of that, I think Ledger will go out with a bang. If this is his last role we'll ever see of him, what a role it will be, I'm sure. And I don't think people will only remember him for his role as the Joker. How can you forget Brokeback Mountain? I wish I could quit you, Kieth.

WrathfulDwarf
Very good post Mr Parker.

There are parts that I do agree with.

Can't wait for the film to be in theathers.

BruceSkywalker
I've said it before, I'll say it again. I, so look forward to seeing The Dark Knight at least 5 times. I can't wait until everyone's performance's

Bardock42
My God, anyone else annoyed with the constant "Gothem"?

Mr Parker
write to the kansas city star and complain to them about the staff member who wrote the article. big grin I was only posting it word for word on what the article said. wink and actually Im confused what you mean by that? cause I counted the times it said Gothem and the word is in there only 3 times.thats not very many. confused

Bardock42
Originally posted by Mr Parker
write to the kansas city star and complain to them about the staff member who wrote the article. big grin I was only posting it word for word on what the article said. wink and actually Im confused what you mean by that? cause I counted the times it said Gothem and the word is in there only 3 times.thats not very many. confused It's 4. And you should spell the name of the city right if you are going to review a movie (not you, the writer).

And then Spiderman swings through Naw Yorke City.
The Goblin follows him closely as they fight upon the roofs of Naw Yorke City.
The final show down takes place in Naw Yorke's City hall.

Just extremely irritating.

Mr Parker
okay.Gotcha.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by =Tired Hiker=
After actually reading all of that, I think Ledger will go out with a bang. If this is his last role we'll ever see of him, what a role it will be, I'm sure. And I don't think people will only remember him for his role as the Joker. How can you forget Brokeback Mountain? I wish I could quit you, Kieth.

Yeah I do to.At least since this was his last movie,he'll be going out in a bang.I never did see Brokeback Mountain but I have heard people talk about it how they liked it.so after I see THIS movie-which will be my first Ledger movie by the way,I will have to see that film as well since I keep hearing so many people talk about that film.

Bardock42
Yeah I do to.At least since this was his last movie,he'll be going out in a bang.I never did see Brokeback Mountain but I have heard people talk about it how they liked it.so after I see THIS movie-which will be my first Ledger movie by the way,I will have to see that film as well since I keep hearing so many people talk about that film. Maybe, just maybe, you hear so many people talk about the film because it is about gay cowboy's eating pudding.

Haven't watched the movie, just saying it's notority might be due to other circumstances.

Mr Parker
oh yeah thats right.Forgot about that.Yeah now that I think about it, I remember the people that did talk to me about movie,talked MOSTLY about that issue in the film. big grin

Mr Parker
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
Very good post Mr Parker.

There are parts that I do agree with.

Can't wait for the film to be in theathers.

thanks.I wanted to make this thread back in march when it came out but like i said,the site was so dead back then I decided against it and am glad I waited.with more people posting in this section like tired hiker and bardock,who arent regular posters ,it was the smart thing to do cause were getting more and more posters who arent regulars posting here in this section with the release date of the movie getting closer and closer,and will get more as well when the movie comes out and even a month from now..This movie looks like its going to be even better than Begins.possibly better than my favorite comicbook movie of all time superman the movie and superman II. Happy Dance I am so psyched for this movie. Happy Dance

ScarletSpeed
Originally posted by =Tired Hiker=

I agree 100%.

Brokeback mountain was an amazing movie with amazing performances by both Heath and Jake.

I went to see Brokeback Mountain with my girlfriend, and all I got from my mates was "poof" and "aw that's disgusting" but being a movie lover I had to see what all the fuss was about, I loved the movie and it made me fall in love (in a strictly non gay way) with heath ledgers acting range and ability.

Heath was an amazing actor, it is a shame he wasn't able to fully pursue it, to it's fullest ability.

Kal of Krypton
I know I'm with everybody else when I say "I CANT WAIT FOR THIS MOVIE!"

I think the writer got as many of the facts wrong, as he got right, but an informative article nonetheless.

I've seen a few of Heath's movie, my favorite was A Knights Tale, but his performance in this movie will surely blow every other movie he's made, out of the water. What a great acting legacy to leave behind, right? Christopher reeves= Superman, Heath Ledger= The Joker (probably his best performance ever)

Mr Parker
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
I've said it before, I'll say it again. I, so look forward to seeing The Dark Knight at least 5 times. I can't wait until everyone's performance's

yeah I know I will see it that many times as well.

Myth
after I see THIS movie-which will be my first Ledger movie by the way,I will have to see that film as well since I keep hearing so many people talk about that film.

It will be your first Heath Ledger movie? No Monster's Ball? 10 Things I Hate about You? The Patriot? A Knight's Tale? Brother's Grim?

Mr Parker
oh okay,I forgot he was in The Patriot so I have seen him in ONE movie anyway.But yeah thats the only one I have seen him in though.Nope,never seen any of those others.

Scythe
I read that article as well. I would rather hope it isn't just meaningless propaganda used to spoof up this movie since I'm hoping it's very good.

I do believe Ledger's portrayal will do him right as well as Bale's performance. So far in my opinion, Bale is the best Batman.

bakerboy
Great post, mr parker. Yes, the dark knight is even looking better than begins and is much better promoted. Ledger looks fantastic as the joker as Eckart is looking as two face. I cant wait to see this movie.

Mr Parker
Yeah its definetely getting MUCH better promoted this time,thats for sure.God I cant believe how horribly promoted Begins was.Thankfully,Warner Brothers seems to have learned from its previous mistake with Begins.I totally disagree with you of course that Ledger looks fantastic as The Joker.

BruceSkywalker
I've never had a problem with the darkness of Batman. The fact that TDK is darker than Batman Begins means to me how deeply they feel about the character(s).

D_A_R_E
Great article, it was very interesting. I've only seen two of Heath Ledger's movies before and I didn't realize until today it was him. I didn't think Begins was quite dark enough so I'm really hoping DK will be as dark as this article predicts. I think that will make it all the more interesting. I'm also interested in Ledger's performance, hopefully it will be his best.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by D_A_R_E
Great article, it was very interesting. I've only seen two of Heath Ledger's movies before and I didn't realize until today it was him. I didn't think Begins was quite dark enough so I'm really hoping DK will be as dark as this article predicts. I think that will make it all the more interesting. I'm also interested in Ledger's performance, hopefully it will be his best.

Early reviews I have read indicate that Heath Ledgers gives an oscar worthy performance

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.