Nameless vs. Li Mu Bai

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Strangelove
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l145/42Strangelove/nameless.jpg

vs.

http://www.dvdfever.co.uk/reviews/ctiger1.jpg

Both are accomplished martial arts masters. Both will be fighting with their swords as seen in the movies (Hero and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, respectively).

The setting is a simple field.

Who would win?

Bardock42
I'd assume Li Mu Bai, though I can't exactly put my finger on why.

celestialdemon
Good fight. I'll say this goes to Nameless, though. Li Mu Bai was killed by a dart that penetrated his defenses. Nameless was able to block thousands of arrows shot at him.

Bardock42
Originally posted by celestialdemon
Good fight. I'll say this goes to Nameless, though. Li Mu Bai was killed by a dart that penetrated his defenses. Nameless was able to block thousands of arrows shot at him. I actually took that as a feat of Li Mu Bai, he blocked hundreds of miniature darts shot at him less than a yard away...

Also, didn't Nameless kinda "block" those thousand arrows with his body? Resulting in his death?

celestialdemon
Originally posted by Bardock42

Also, didn't Nameless kinda "block" those thousand arrows with his body? Resulting in his death?

That was at the end, when he allowed them to hit him. He proved he could easily block them when he was at the calligraphy house. Both he and Snow were blocking the arrows.

Bardock42
That was at the end, when he allowed them to hit him. He proved he could easily block them when he was at the calligraphy house. Both he and Snow were blocking the arrows.

Yeah, but that were fewer arrows, shot from far away. Don't you think blocking the needles is a much larger feat when it comes to reflexes?

celestialdemon
Yeah, but that were fewer arrows, shot from far away. Don't you think blocking the needles is a much larger feat when it comes to reflexes?

Not really when it's that many arrows coming at you.

Bardock42
Not really when it's that many arrows coming at you. Well, i guess we measure it differently then. I have no doubt though that Li Mu Bai would have been able to perform the same task.

celestialdemon
Well, i guess we measure it differently then. I have no doubt though that Li Mu Bai would have been able to perform the same task.

I'm not saying he can't, but in my opinion, I don't think he could have. But, there's no way for either of us to know for sure.

WrathfulDwarf
Nameless by miles long.

Hero>Crouching Tiger Hidden blah-blah-blah...

Bardock42
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
Nameless by miles long.

Hero>Crouching Tiger Hidden blah-blah-blah... Prefer Crouching Tiger myself, but which is the better movie doesn't really make the characters in it more powerful.

celestialdemon
Prefer Crouching Tiger myself, but which is the better movie doesn't really make the characters in it more powerful.

I agree. I definitely like Crouching Tiger better.

WrathfulDwarf
Nameless still wins.

Robtard
Li Mu Bai seems like the more accomplished sword-fighter, also, can't the "Green Destiny" cut other weapons into pieces?

Li Mu has the upper hand, he wins more times than not.

Robtard

All those arrows weren't aimed at him though, they were just being fired into the house. All the darts were aimed at Li Mu Bai.

celestialdemon
Originally posted by Robtard
All those arrows weren't aimed at him though, they were just being fired into the house. All the darts were aimed at Li Mu Bai.

When it's enough to cover every part of his body, does it really matter?

Robtard
The point was, Li's countering of the darts was more impressive, not that the other wasn't at all.

celestialdemon
In my opinion, Nameless' feat was more impressive.

Robtard
Well sure, in your opinion, but when you look at it objectively, the other guy blocked a multitude of tiny darts, shot directly at him from a very close distance. So no.

celestialdemon
Well sure, in your opinion, but when you look at it objectively, the other guy blocked a multitude of tiny darts, shot directly at him from a very close distance. So no.

How am I not being objective? I like Crouching Tiger far better than Hero and actually like Li Mu Bai better than Nameless. I just think Nameless' feat is more impressive, so don't talk to me like I'm wrong.

Robtard
I'm sure there is someone out there that thinks a pound of feathers weighs less and a pound of iron, it just isn't so, either. So no.

celestialdemon
That's fact. This is opinion. Try again.

The Pict
Nameless ftw

Robtard
That's fact. This is opinion. Try again.

This is where you are wrong, the dart thingy is more impressive, from a skill and speed standpoint, as fact, of which would translate to the topic of who would win in a fight between the two.

You can think the other looked better, flashier, cooler or what have you, and you're certainly welcome to that opinion, but that doesn't relate to the topic. Unless this is showoff contest and not a duel we're talking about?

The Pict
This is where you are wrong, the dart thingy is more impressive, from a skill and speed standpoint, as fact, of which would translate to the topic of who would win in a fight between the two.

You can think the other looked better, flashier, cooler or what have you, and you're certainly welcome to that opinion, but that doesn't relate to the topic. Unless this is showoff contest and not a duel we're talking about?

The arrow feat was far more impressive IMO. He was deflecting dozens of arrows with one movement. And did you see how many arrows there actually were?

Robtard
I'd guess in the hundreds if not thousands. They all weren't aimed at him, unlike the darts and the arrows were fired from a very much longer distance, unlike the few meters that the darts were.

celestialdemon

That is your opinion. There's no way to accurately compare which one is more impressive. It's like saying someone breaking the world record for the 100 meter dash is more impressive than someone breaking the record for the marathon. There's no right or wrong answer. It's just a matter of what you THINK is more impressive.

Robtard
Sure you can.

1) The darts were a 20th the size of the arrows
2) The darts were fired directly at the person while the arrows were shot in an arcing pattern
3) The darts were fired from a few meters, while the arrows were fired from several hundred meters.

See, three, count them 1, 2, 3 facts that make one more impressive than the other.

WrathfulDwarf
I mean really guys...counting how many arrows or darts were shot...and they say I nitpick.

Oh, and Nameless was cooler than Bai.

celestialdemon
1. There were FAR more arrows than there were darts.
2. The arrows came in a constant barrage that lasted a few minutes, not in a few seconds like the darts.
3. While not directly aimed at him, the arrows were still travelling towards every part of his body, from head to foot. They were all blocked.

See how that works.

Robtard
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
I mean really guys...counting how many arrows or darts were shot...and they say I nitpick.

Oh, and Nameless was cooler than Bai.

It's not a matter of 'he blocked 20 while the other guy only blocked 19', it's the matter of skill involved in each specific feat. You do nitpick.

Possible, but that also has no bearing on who would win.

The Pict
Sure you can.

1) The darts were a 20th the size of the arrows
2) The darts were fired directly at the person while the arrows were shot in an arcing pattern
3) The darts were fired from a few meters, while the arrows were fired from several hundred meters.

See, three, count them 1, 2, 3 facts that make one more impressive than the other.

1) There were a lot more arrows

2) The arrows were fired from bows, not a staff. And they weren't losing their velocity, seeing as how they killed almost everyone in that building. They actually pierced the structure.

3) Nameless wasn't hit, Li Mu Bai was. stoned

Robtard
1. There were FAR more arrows than there were darts.
2. The arrows came in a constant barrage that lasted a few minutes, not in a few seconds like the darts.
3. While not directly aimed at him, the arrows were still travelling towards every part of his body, from head to foot. They were all blocked.

See how that works.

1) Yes
2) True, they were also shot from far away, giving him much more time to think and counter.
3) See #2

I do, it is far less impressive from a skill and speed standpoint, as fact.

Edit: It did look flashier though, I'll give you that.

Edit: In regards to your edit, when did I say the arrows were fired from a staff and they were slowing? I mentioned they were fired in an arcing pattern, i.e. shot up and angled, not straight ahead. This was due to the distance they needed to cover.

WrathfulDwarf
It's not a matter of 'he blocked 20 while the other guy only blocked 19', it's the matter of skill involved in each specific feat. You do nitpick.

Possible, but that also has no bearing on who would win.

Well, I'll give you the nod because a dart is a smaller than an arrow.

Then again..not to split hairs....

Archers with great skill shot those arrows.

Robtard
The darts were fired by a highly skilled assassin, I'd also venture she was a better aim than those archers, since they all would have hit their mark if not countered.

The Pict

Edit: In regards to your edit, when did I say the arrows were fired from a staff and they were slowing? I mentioned they were fired in an arcing pattern, i.e. shot up and angled, not straight ahead. This was due to the distance they needed to cover.

That was to me?

I didn't mean you said anything about the staff.

I was pointing out the facts of the feat. The darts came out of the bottom of a staff, whereas trained soldiers drew back their arrows on powerful bows.

Robtard
Originally posted by The Pict
That was to me?

I didn't mean you said anything about the staff.

I was pointing out the facts of the feat. The darts came out of the bottom of a staff, whereas trained soldiers drew back their arrows on powerful bows.

Yes, my error.

And the woman who shot the darts was a higly skilled assassin. So not sure what your point is.

The Pict
The darts were fired by a highly skilled assassin, I'd also venture she was a better aim than those archers, since they all would have hit their mark if not countered.

But like you said she was only a few metres away. Most people would be able to hit the mark in that case.

Robtard
But like you said she was only a few metres away. Most people would be able to hit the mark in that case.

If it was one dart thrown, yes. She fired many, and all within a second or two. That's some serious skill.

Also, those arrows weren't directly aimed, they were fired in a volley, as the vast majority would have missed their target.

Anyhow, dart/arrow thing aside, Bai has the "Green Destiny". It would cut through the other weapon like it was butter. Bai would win, unless you think Nameless can kill Bai without a weapon.

The Pict

Anyhow, dart/arrow thing aside, Bai has the "Green Destiny". It would cut through the other weapon like it was butter. Bai would win, unless you think Nameless can kill Bai without a weapon.

Does he? Throughout most of the movie I'm sure it was Zhang Ziyi who had the Green Destiny.

Bardock42
Does he? Throughout most of the movie I'm sure it was Zhang Ziyi who had the Green Destiny.

True, but it is "his" sword. I assume that was what the thread starter meant.

Also, it is a fact that Li Mu Bai is cooler.

And Chow a better actor.

Robtard

Are you implying that she did something special to cut through other weapons and it's not just that the sword is capable of such a feat?

The Pict
Are you implying that she did something special to cut through other weapons and it's not just that the sword is capable?

Nope, I didn't imply that at all.

Those are your words.

celestialdemon
1) Yes
2) True, they were also shot from far away, giving him much more time to think and counter.
3) See #2

I do, it is far less impressive from a skill and speed standpoint, as fact.

Arrows that were still coming fast enough to pierce the building they were aimed at. How much thinking was there? There were a barrage of arrows coming at him since before he opened the door. With them constantly coming, all he could do was rely on skill and reaction time.

Rogue Jedi
Li Mu Bai can run on trees and shit.

BruceSkywalker
Li Mu Bai ftw

Strangelove
I'm with Li Mu Bai's people here.

The people who claim Namless's arrow-blocking was more inpressive than deflecting dozens of tiny darts shot directly at him (and the fact that it was from only a meter or so away means they weren't losing any velocity) are being willfully ignorant.

Rogue Jedi
Indeed, and the darts are a lot smaller than arrows, arent they?

Strangelove
No doubt.

The Pict
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
Li Mu Bai can run on trees and shit.

Nameless can run across water. And also spring back up from it by gently dipping his sword into the water.

Also he deflected a single water drop aimed at his head.

Rogue Jedi
I did not know that.

Strangelove
Nameless can run across water. And also spring back up from it by gently dipping his sword into the water.

Also he deflected a single water drop aimed at his head. It doesn't change the fact that Mu Bai's precision with a sword is undoubtedly superior.

Rogue Jedi
I need to youtube this. I am with Strangles now, but I need to see nameless in action.

Robtard
Nope, I didn't imply that at all.

Those are your words.

Okay, then Bai has an extreme advantage in weapons then, another reason why he would win, more often than not.

Edit: Why did you question it then, the sword being able to cut through other weapons?

Rogue Jedi
I honestly believe this would be better hand to hand.

The Pict
Okay, then Bai has an extreme advantage in weapons then, another reason why he would win, more often than not.

Edit: Why did you question it then, the sword being able to cut through other weapons?

Again your words. I didn't question that.

I said are you sure he has the sword? OP said they have the swords they used in the movie and I said that throughout most the movie Zhang Ziyi's character used the Green Destiny.

Rogue Jedi
whats the name of nameless's fighting style?

The Pict
I need to youtube this. I am with Strangles now, but I need to see nameless in action.

RBG05g4-H9o

Quite a cool scene where he fights Donnie Yen's character, one of the three assassins Nameless was supposed to kill for the Emperor.

whats the name of nameless's fighting style?

I dunno.

Rogue Jedi
I'm gonna have to go with Mu Bai.

Strangelove
whats the name of nameless's fighting style? Jet Li himself practices wushu, but I think that's solely a hand-to-hand form of combat.

I'm not sure.

Rogue Jedi
I am pretty sure they left it open for interpretation.

Strangelove
I'm sure it's a real fighting style, but not being an expert, I don't know.

Rogue Jedi
I read somewhere that Jet Li masters one style then moves on to the next. Last I heard, he was learning Hung Ra.

WrathfulDwarf
Nameless fought Donnie Yen.

I rule! cool

Robtard
Originally posted by Strangelove
I'm sure it's a real fighting style, but not being an expert, I don't know.

Wushu is a fighting style, though a fairly new one. It was created (lack of a better word) in the '50's by mixing traditional Chinese martial arts, so the fighting-competitions could be more linear.

Jet Li is both a master of this style and has won several competitions. I read about him when he first appeared in Lethal Weapon 4.

Rogue Jedi
Same....I was like MAN who is this guy?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.