Hancock

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Rogue Jedi
I just saw the trailer for this movie, looks pretty damn good.

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809801452/video/7633208/20080501/188/7633208-700-wmv-s.63470440-,7633208-1000-flash-s.63470456-,7633208-1000-wmv-s.63470442-,7633208-100-flash-s.63470443-,7633208-300-flash-s.63470453-,7633208-100-wmv-s.63470437-,7633208-700-flash-s.63470454-,7633208-300-wmv-s.63470438-

exanda kane
Got Jason Bateman in it. It's going to be safe.

Rogue Jedi
a drunk super hero, finally someone I can relate to. laughing out loud

Robtard
Watched the newest trailer, this is looking like it will be worth a few laughs.

=Tired Hiker=
This will be the first super hero movie where Mr. Parker has no grounds for comic book comparison complaints!

Robtard
Just add a "D" between the N and the C, he'll be all over it.

Alpha Centauri
Why f*cking name the man Hancock? Honestly?

If it's going to be his name, the at the very LEAST give him a decent one.

Saw the trailer just before Indy today, looks like it'll be a fun movie. Could be shit, could be awesome.

I enjoy the premise, well, from what I gathered. Someone with superpowers doesn't actually do anything with their life, the complete opposite of Peter Parker's admirable, yet blinkered philosophy.

-AC

Robtard
Hancock = Funny, that's why.

WrathfulDwarf
This looks so awfully familiar to MIB II.

Pass.

Mairuzu
lolwut?

Robtard
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
This looks so awfully familiar to MIB II.

Pass.

MIB = Aliens and secret government agents trying to keep control

Hancock = Superhero who is an alcoholic and therefore more of a menace to society than beneficial

Besides both movies starting Will Smith, I see zero familiarities, care to educate me on these?

Mairuzu
same

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by Robtard
MIB = Aliens and secret government agents trying to keep control

Hancock = Superhero who is an alcoholic and therefore more of a menace to society than beneficial

Besides both movies starting Will Smith, I see zero familiarities, care to educate me on these?

Will Smith
CGI
Petty Jokes
Summer Blockbuster
Story: Save the Planet from destruction.

Formula have been done many times. You don't need to be rocket scientist to notice these things.

As I said....Pass.

Toku King
I love Will Smith, and this movie looks incredible.
Can't wait to see it!

Rogue Jedi
I'll go see it just to see him flying around with a 40.

Alpha Centauri
Will Smith
CGI
Petty Jokes
Summer Blockbuster

Formula have been done many times. You don't need to be rocket scientist to notice these things.

As I said....Pass.

Granted, you're right in that there are a lot of similarities, but then why see any movie? A lot of these kinds of movies contain the same kind of thing, it's a matter of doing them right.

-AC

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Granted, you're right in that there are a lot of similarities, but then why see any movie? A lot of these kinds of movies contain the same kind of thing, it's a matter of doing them right.

-AC

Okay AC, you win. You want to talk to me. I'll do it (Let's hope this time is more friendly)

I not speaking of EVERY movie...just Will Smith movies. He always plays the hero and saves the world and blah, blah, blah....can the man just for once try to play the role of villain or something else that would not hurt his ego.

Robtard
Will Smith
CGI
Petty Jokes
Summer Blockbuster

As I said....Pass.

Will Smith, Yes.
CGI, how many movie now-a-days don't have CGI?
Petty Jokes, okay, but that's 90% of all Smith movies and 99.9% of any action-comedy.
Summer Blockbuster, and?
Story, I don't think this one is about him saving the planet.

As mentioned, there's no reason to see any movies from now on, if that's the stance, as few things are an original concept. Why see the Dark Knight, it's going to be Batman kicking ass again and saving Gotham from yet another threat, no?

Robtard
Okay AC, you win. You want to talk to me. I'll do it (Let's hope this time is more friendly)

I not speaking of EVERY movie...just Will Smith movies. He always plays the hero and saves the world and blah, blah, blah....can the man just for once try to play the role of villain or something else that would not hurt his ego.

Six Degrees of Separation

He'd be a horrible villain.

Alpha Centauri

Is it because I said you were right? I'm semi-joking.

He didn't do that in Enemy of the State, or as Robtard said, Six Degrees.

I'm not saying the man is Robert de Niro, just that he's not AS typecast as one might think. I certainly didn't think of him as a superhero for one thing.

I think he's still finding his niche. He's not an amazing actor, but he can usually play a part in a decent movie. Will Smith is just too friendly to be a bad guy, I seriously cannot see him as a bad man.

-AC

bitca360
Will Smith
CGI
Petty Jokes
Summer Blockbuster

As I said....Pass.

roll eyes (sarcastic)

Insert damn near ANY other actor's name & you've pretty much passed on every Summer movie of the last 10 years...are you sure this is the right site for you? LoL

Rogue Jedi
Six Degrees of Separation

He'd be a horrible villain. I never thought about that......he would suck as a bad guy.

Stewie_Griffin
Will Smith as an alcolholic superhero will be fun to see so I'll more than likely go see this movie on opening day. cool

Kella
I'm definitely seeing it. I think he's funny. I like the whole drunk and reluctant superhero thing. It'll be worth the $5.50 I'll have to pay. So why not?

Stewie_Griffin
Does anyone know if Hancock actually fights a villain in the movie or is it mainly about his struggle with becoming a better person and a better hero?

Rogue Jedi
I think it starts out as the latter, then he fights a villian.

Stewie_Griffin
That's gotta be good.

Blax_Hydralisk
I'm actually really looking forward to this.

When I saw the first trailer I was like "Meh." Then I saw the second one and I was like "Eh?". Looks good.

Robtard
Originally posted by Stewie_Griffin
Does anyone know if Hancock actually fights a villain in the movie or is it mainly about his struggle with becoming a better person and a better hero?

From the spoilers I've read, there isn't a super-villain.

Blax_Hydralisk
I thought I saw someone else using a super power.

Robtard
Originally posted by Blax_Hydralisk
I thought I saw someone else using a super power.

It looks that way too, but from what I read, there isn't a super-villain. Someone else is super-powered though.

superchron
If you look closely in the second trailer though, it looks like he's fighting someone that (although its very blurry) looks like Charleze Theron.

Robtard
Originally posted by superchron
If you look closely in the second trailer though, it looks like he's fighting someone that (although its very blurry) looks like Charleze Theron.

That is the other person with powers. I can give more spoilers, but they'll ruin the movie for anyone who is hyped over it.

=Tired Hiker=
Yeah, I'm looking forward to this one too. It should be swell.

Rogue Jedi
So when he is giving his speech about being a better hero, and he mentions being "the only one of his kind", there is actually another.........I feel that.

Robtard
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
So when he is giving his speech about being a better hero, and he mentions being "the only one of his kind", there is actually another.........I feel that.

He's unaware that there is. Do you feel that?

=Tired Hiker=
hmm

Rogue Jedi
He's unaware that there is. Do you feel that? Yes, thats quite obvious. What fun would it be if he knew?

Stewie_Griffin
I'm really confused about this movie....which means I'll be going in virtually with my eyes closed and that's a good thing. I try not to know too much about the movies I go to see now adays.

Kella
For whatever reason none of this news is unfamiliar to me. I could have sworn it was all in a preview or something.

hm. weird.

Mairuzu
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
I never thought about that......he would suck as a bad guy. hes the fresh prince!

Stewie_Griffin
Lol, one of the best comedy shows eva!

Robtard
Lol, one of the best comedy shows eva!

You should be slapped with a gauntlet covered hand for that.

Stewie_Griffin
What? For having an opinion. Boy, don't get me started.

Robtard
For having a bad opinion.

Stewie_Griffin
You need to be slapped for being an ass. Now get the hell on.

Zac-E
A scooper review by someone named Marlow.

It's very detailed a filled will spoilers, I mean, like every detail type spoilers. Anyway, I read it, the movie sounds baaaaad(it sounds worse than epic movie) and the review really wants you to know it.

Saw a super-secret advance screening of Hancock yesterday at the Bridge in L.A. Both producer Akiva Goldsman and Sony head Amy Pascal were in attendance. Akiva was looking mighty nervous as the movie was about to unspool... you see, this was a surprise screening for the common folks and not an industry event. No one in the audience knew which film they were seeing as they filed into the room...but everyone was secretly hoping it was the THE DARK KNIGHT. When one of the studio lackeys announced that the film we were seeing was Hancock the reaction was, to say the least, subdued. The usual pre-amble followed about how the effects were not totally rendered, some shots were not color corrected, etc.

Well, Mr. Goldman was right to be nervous... the film is an unmitigated mess... SPOILERS AHEAD--

I mean it. If you want to stay pure and not know a thing about slick Willie's Hancock then now's the time to go back to GTA4.

All right, for those of us still interested:

It opens with slick Willie on the roof of an LA building drunk as a skunk while a radio voice-over tells us in an obvious heavy exposition sequence what an ******* Hancock is... more public nuissance than hero, blah-blah... Hancock walks off the building and slams into the asphalt below destroying the pavement and several cars... he causes lots of property damage throughout the film (it kinda gets redundant, we get it he's a drunk, move on)... as Hancock lays on the smashed concrete while he's smashed from the all the alcohol consumption, a homeless guy walks up to him and calls him an ******* (I can't remember the last time I heard that expletive so often in a big budget summer film)... basically the film spends the next 30 minutes showing us what an ******* Will smith can be...

We cut to the scene in the trailer when he lands in the back of car being chased by cops on Highway, the asian robbers shoot Hancock, bullets bounce off him and Hancock pulls a Fred Flinstone, punching his feet through the floor of the car and bringing it to a halt. He lifts the car into the sky and impales it on the Capitol Records building... what an *******.

Then Hancock goes to a bar and gets even more drunk, it kinda reminded me of the scene in the excrable Superman 3 when Supes got wasted and started flicking peanuts at the mirrored wall. Anyhow, he's approached by a gorgeous African American girl who comes onto him hard core. Hancock brings her back to his lair-- two nasty, dilapidated motor homes that were stuck together and Hancock precedes to show her his... well, you're not gonna believe this part but he tells the chick that she has to get away from him when he's about to blow his load (the actual quote was "when I climb the mountain"wink... and then we cut to the exterior shot of the two motor homes rocking like crazy. Willie was giving her his hancock (I know I couldn't resist). Then we cut back inside and the girl flies across the room. Then three large baseball-sized holes are poked through the ceiling of the motor home like gunshots. Yup, this is a first in cinematic history. We get to see the results of super-ejaculate. I never thought I would see super-semen on the big screen... then again, the movie was at one time supposed to be called TONIGHT HE COMES. It all kinda makes sense now. I didn't know wether to laugh or cry... this was preposterous... it was at this point that I knew this was a debacle in the making... the conversation that Jason Lee spoke about in Mallrats which was intended to poke fun at a Superman type hero was actually committed to film. This was definitely a "what the **** were they thinking moment" if ever I saw one. The problem with this film is that it doesn't know if it wants to be a comedy or a serious action film. Maybe they never knew. But the film only got worse as it went along. The only bright spot was Jason Bateman. God bless Bateman for actually being the grouding force of goodness and smart humor in this mess... although, the way Hancock meets Bateman is cliched. Bateman's car is stuck on the train tracks while a train is careening toward him. A drunken Hancock saves Bateman but not before causing yet more property damage, which upsets the folks at the scene of the accident. Bateman invites Hancock to his house to meet his wife Charlize Theron and his adorable kid (the kid was great, Charlize did the best with her very underdeveloped role). There's an immediate weirdness and wariness between Charlize and Hancock (more on that later).

Bateman is a publicist with big kind heart... the kind of PR schlub that only exist in movies but you buy it because Bateman's so good. He offers to polish Hancock's image. Hancock ultimately takes the offer. Batemen tells Hancock that step 1 is to turn yourself in to the cops. Let the world miss you and then they will come begging for your services. Hancock reluctantly agrees. The whole thing about sending a superbeing to jail was a stupid idea... he can bust out at any moment but I digress. In jail, Hancock encounters many old enemies that he actually put there and then in an altercation, hancock actually shoves an inmates head into another inmates ass... you actually see this!!! You actually see a guy's head in another guys ass! And hilarity ensues. I just could not believe what I was seeing.

Later, a bank robbery occurs with many hostages and a massive shootout. The mayor calls on Hancock for help. In jail, Hancock rises, shaves his scruffy beard with his fingernails and puts on his nifty new supersuit (which looks like a leftover from the X-men franchise). Way to be original, costume design team.

Hancock confronts the redneck madman who has a pressure bomb trigger in his hand. If he let's go of the trigger everyone goes boom!. Hancock severs the bomber's hand saving everyone. The city is grateful, the cops are grateful and so begins Hancock's road to redemption and public image glory.

Also, throughout the film we see FLASHBACKS that show Hancock running thorough a rainy forest with a child in his arms. We always see the same flashback multiple times in the film with a voice-over by Smith about dying vs imoortality but get this-- the Flashbacks are never resolved or explained. i almost felt like I missed something. Like there was a reel missing (hell, maybe there is). It was exactly like the Flashbacks in BATMAN Forever (another Akiva masterpiece) in which little Bruce Wayne keeps seeing a diary beside his parents two coffins... but we never found out what was in the damn diary that so traumatised little Brucie!

Anyway, Bateman and his wife Charlize take Hancock to a fancy restaurant to celebrate his rehabilitated image. At the restaurant, hancock explains that he's not an alien, he's human... the last thing he remembers was waking up in hospital 80 years ago with two tickets to the movie Frankenstein in his pocket, but no other memory. More weirdness between Charlize and Willcock.

Later that night, they all return to Bateman's home. bateman is passed out drunk. Charlize is alone in the kitchen with Hancock. Hancock is about to kiss her when she suddenly picks him up and throws Hancock out the window with vicious force. OH MY GOD, Charlize is a superhero too!!! This is the big twist. Charlize later reveals that she and Will are descendants of Gods or Angels... she was at one time Isis. She also reveals that they were once husband and wife! We also find out that they are each others respective kryptonites. The more time they spend together, the weaker and more mortal they become... so they need to stay apart. She was at the movies with Willcock 80 years ago. They were on the raod to mortality when Will saw a man getting mugged. Will intervened and got clocked in the skull. He lost his memory and Charlize decided to disappear from his life because the world needs one hero-- Hancock!

Zac-E
The rest

Willcock wants his wife(Charlize) back and vows to destroy every living thing to get her (this is never really explored or developes but could have been very cool). It leads to a huge showdown between Will and Charlize... more needless property damage. Charlize is stronger than him. Bateman finds out that his wife is a superbeing. He's pissed. Bateman accuses Willcock of being selfish because he wants Bateman's life. Depressed, Hancock goes to a liquor store and buys more booze only to thwart a robbery in progress, except this time the bullets don't bounce off him. He's gunned down and bleeding. He's rushed to the hospital. Bateman and Charlize show up to. This is the climax of the film, so the mad bomber from the bank with the severed hand escapes from Jail and heads to the hospital. Hancock is in a hospital bed, Charlize by his side when the Bomber and his cronies show up and shoot Charlize. She's bleeding and dying. Willcock suddenly gets his suprestregnt back (I have no idea how since they're supposed to be each others kryptonite... I'm still not sure about the rules in this movie).

The doctor's are trying to rescusitate Charlize while Willcock fights the baddies... but the closer Charlize is to death the stronger Will gets... but if she gets better Will gets weaker... to be honest, it was all very muddy and needs to be better explained or edited... I was confused. Anyway, Will throws all the baddies out the windows except for the big villain who is knocked out by an angry Bateman who in turn saves Willcock.

Willcock sees that Charlize is dying and he jumps out of the hospital trying to get as far away from her as possible so she can regain her strenght/immortality/whatever. In the end, bateman and Charlize are together and happy while Hancock is in New York sitting atop the Chrysler building saving lives in the big apple.

In my humble opinion, if the filmmakers want to save this film, drop all the silly stuff, like the super-ejaculation, the inmates head in the ass, and the lousy opening sequence and just stick to a straight forward action film... otherwise this will be Will Smith's first box office dud since WILD WILD WEST.

But what really infuriates me is that with all the resources at their disposal, no one knew what film they were making. This film is the equivalent of being tone deaf. Don't get me wrong, I think Will Smith is an entertaning actor but this film, as is, does not work. Hence, the panic I was reading on the executives faces after the screening. This film is not as dark as it thinks it is and not as funny as it thinks it is. It's right down the middle and that's a dangerous place to be. IRON MAN got the tone right. The DARK KNIGHT knows exactly what it wants to be. HANCOCK is going into the most competitve summer season since the glorious summer of 1989 Half-Cocked.

Wittig
k

Stewie_Griffin
Not going to read it, I really don't want to spoil the movie for myself.

ariwin
Yeah, I only skimmed it. The trailers to me look awesome, and I love Will Smith... he does comedy and drama both really well! I'm definitely going to see this. Critics and reviewers never agree with me anyway, and I always end up wondering if they could have possibly seen the same movie... this movie looks HILARIOUS and I can't wait for it to come out!

Rogue Jedi
dammit, I read the spoiler.

Stewie_Griffin
I have this theory about critics: They always give every movie they see bad ratings because they couldn't make it in the movie industry themselves.

This movie looks great and I don't care if anyone thinks otherwise.

SelinaAndBruce
Well we all know that Will Smith is pretty much the box office King and that's undisputed at this point, likewise July 4th weekend has always tended to be his lucky weekend and he's at it again with this year's Hancock...trailer seen here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icJ-qNA5wpg

So are you excited to see it?

Phucked Up
*scrolls down the Movie Discussion forums first page, about halfway down*

What's this? A Hancock thread already made?!

SelinaAndBruce
Originally posted by Phucked Up
*scrolls down the Movie Discussion forums first page, about halfway down*

What's this? A Hancock thread already made?!
O I apologize. I honestly did not see it. embarrasment laughing

I'm a ditz in real life too laughing laughing

I apologize to the mods for this mistake. It's late I totally didn't see the other thread. So embarrassed

Ya Krunk'd Floo
I have this theory about critics: They always give every movie they see bad ratings because they couldn't make it in the movie industry themselves.

That's an excellent, fool-proof theory until you realize that there are loads of movies with good ratings which makes you a fool-proven retard with rotten cabbage for brains.

Stewie_Griffin
And that makes you an idiot for thinking I was 100% for real with what was supposed to be a joke.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
And that makes you an idiot for thinking I was 100% for real with what was supposed to be a joke.

Oh, I love jokes! What was the joke? I really want to know so I can start laughing! Woo!

Robtard

You have horrible taste in humor, then again, you think "The Fresh Prince of Bel Aire" is the funniest show ever.

Toku King
Not going to read it, I really don't want to spoil the movie for myself.

Same here.

Mairuzu
yeeup

SelinaAndBruce
I'm still excited to see what is going to go down in this flick.

Stewie_Griffin
So am I, ma'am.

My brother said that he thinks that Will Smith is a whack actor and that he probably won't see Hancock. As comedic as my bro is, I don't think he was joking. Still, I think this movie is gonna be one of the good movies of this summer. Will Smith hasn't let me down yet.

crazy
For having a bad opinion.

Bad? You kidding me, Fresh Prince is hilarious and I might not say it's the best but it is up there.

Stewie_Griffin
Thank you for backing me, there's laughs in every episode. I don't recall them ever having a bad episode or an episode where the cast wasn't funny.

Blax_Hydralisk
*knee jerks*

Anyone wh hates on the Fresh Prince is a kommunit.

ariwin
Thank you for backing me, there's laughs in every episode. I don't recall them ever having a bad episode or an episode where the cast wasn't funny.

Agreed!

And I'm definitely going to go see Hancock... love Will Smith, and love superhero movies... anything with the two of them has got to be full of win.

Stewie_Griffin
Yeah, and if Will Smith's going to actually be fighting another villain, that's gotta be gold.

crystallake
I want this movie to be good, and I do like Will Smith, but... the trailers look pretty mediocre, and the early word-of-mouth on this one is downright TERRIBLE. Will Smith is usually money, but I'm predicting that Hancock will end up getting beaten at the box office by both Hulk and Wanted - I actually think Wanted will end up in 3rd place among all the comic book movies coming out this summer, behind only Iron Man and The Dark Knight. It looks awesome. Hulk's hard to predict because of the backlash against the '03 film, and Hancock... I really think it's gonna be a flop, sadly.

Stewie_Griffin
TDK is going to be the biggest box office draw of the year.

crystallake
TDK is going to be the biggest box office draw of the year.

Oh yeah; I'm not betting against TDK. It'll be the biggest draw of the summer, at least - Harry Potter might give it a run for its money at the end of the year, though. I was just saying that I think Wanted will end up #3 among the 6 different comic book movies coming out this summer; TDK and Iron Man are probably locked into #1 and #2 respectively, but I think Wanted will beat out Hulk, Hancock and Hellboy - they'll all be battling for that #3 spot.

Stewie_Griffin
I don't know if it'll beat out TIH, that movie has a lot of hyped surrounding it but it's mainly because of Ed Norton being at the helm of the movie.

ariwin
I think Hancock is maybe a bit more thoughtful than TIH... well, maybe not. I think mostly it's that it's taking the superhero genre in a totally new direction, and not many people realize that yet. I imagine even if its opening day isn't as big as TIH, it'll have a lot lot longer box office life, once word starts to spread.

I can't waaaait to seeit...

SelinaAndBruce
I think Hancock will do fine. Will Smith made one official bomb, Wild Wild West and even that made a good amount of money it just didn't match what it cost to make it. I get the feeling even if the reviews are bad people will go because the name Will Smith sells movie tickets. From what I am hearing Hancock has the same problems as I Am Legend...good beginning and middle but a messy ending. However I have heard they are reshooting it, so we will see.

Stewie_Griffin
I've liked almost all of Will Smith's movies (he shouldn't have played Ali) and I thought I Am Legend received a lot of unnecessary flak.

Blax_Hydralisk
When I was watching the trailer I thought I saw him clash with someone at very high speeds twice. Looks to me like another super being.

Bardock42
I think the idea is kinda cool. I will definately watch it.

Blax_Hydralisk
That's a sexy ass signature you got there, bardock.

Plutonic_Hat90
If nothing else, the first trailer for Quantum of Solace is going to premier with this movie. So yeah

but as far as the actual movie goes, it just looks alright

SelinaAndBruce
I'm just hoping it's a memorable outing And that is if it is successful it will promote more super heroes of color in general.

badboy7
i believe Hancock will be on the top!!
i am looking forward to watch it...

Bardock42
Originally posted by Blax_Hydralisk
That's a sexy ass signature you got there, bardock.

Tell that Digi. But I totally agree.

Anyways, Hancock looks really good. Sadly I won't be able to see it for some time. But it has Michael Bluth in it...can only be great.

ariwin
Anyways, Hancock looks really good. Sadly I won't be able to see it for some time. But it has Michael Bluth in it...can only be great.

It's so true. Jason Bateman = win.

Stewie_Griffin
This movie will probably be one of the top grossing movies of the year...but will get blown out of the water by TDK.

ariwin
This movie will probably be one of the top grossing movies of the year...but will get blown out of the water by TDK.

Every movie ever is going to get blown out of the water by TDK, including Iron Man, by a significant margin I would bet. Economy or no, everyone is going to go see it.

Stewie_Griffin
To say every movie ever is going to get blown out of the water is a stretch but I could see this movie actually making Spider-Man 3 numbers. I know I'll be there on opening day on the edge of my seat because of Heath Ledger. Still, Hancock is going to make big numbers.

Toku King
I can't wait to see this movie!

Stewie_Griffin
I'm hyped because it's Will Smith with superpowers and alcolhol. I know my theater will be packed!

http://www.hancocktrailer.com/images/hancock-poster.jpg

They should take their time after the movie comes out and make a game with free roaming. It'd be cool if they actually got a good company to make the game, took their time, & added in a bunch of inventive stuff for him to be able to do as far as combos & missions go.

Quiero Mota
I know my theater will be packed!

Small town?

Toku King
This movie's going to be a hit. Will Smith is already a major draw, but a drunken superhero with amazing special effects? Cinematic gold.

Joe_Fixit
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
Small town?

No, I'm in an area where mostly everyone (including myself) is black & loves Will Smith. What do you think's gonna happen opening day? wink But really, I live in Detroit so yeah, it's not the biggest town.

ariwin
No, I'm in an area where mostly everyone (including myself) is black & loves Will Smith. What do you think's gonna happen opening day? wink

Who DOESN'T love Will Smith??

I just wanted to post a link to a video from Rolling Stone that has their movie critic Peter Travers predicting Hancock is going to be "spectacular." It's also got a good overview of a bunch of the other summer movies that have come out/are going to come out.

Soooo psyched for July!

http://www.rollingstone.com/blogs/traverstake/2008/04/peter-travers-video-review-sum.php

Toku King
Originally posted by Joe_Fixit
No, I'm in an area where mostly everyone (including myself) is black

Why does being black matter, exactly?

Robtard
Because black people love Will Smith? I assume was his intention.

dadudemon
I sure hope those damned previews didn't ruin have of the good parts. I've seen only two previews...................so I hope all the good stuff is still there.

Mindship
Yeah, I'm psyched for this movie, and they do seem to be showing a lot of superpower stuff in the trailers. But hopefully they're playing it smart and just showing appetizers.

I'm kinda hoping this movie will go the way a Superman movie should: lots of feats; lots of FX.

Joe_Fixit
Hancock will be like a black Superman...just more cool.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Reviews have been shit...

http://film.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/Critic_Review/Guardian_review/0,,2287496,00.html

Joe_Fixit
I don't even care about reviews, I'm reserving judgment until I see the film for myself.

Toku King

Then why does he think black people in general? Because Will's black?

Toku King
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
Reviews have been shit...

http://film.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/Critic_Review/Guardian_review/0,,2287496,00.html

I almost always never agree with them, so why would I care?

Joe_Fixit
Ah, man, the trailers lately have been superb.

SelinaAndBruce
Everyone loves Will Smith. He wouldn't be the most powerful box office draw in hollywood if just black people loved him

Joe_Fixit
That's kind of racist to say anyway.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Originally posted by Toku King
I almost always never agree with them, so why would I care?

Because you love life?

Toku King
Originally posted by Joe_Fixit
That's kind of racist to say anyway.

You're the one that started the conversation.

Toku King
Because you love life?

I'm sorry, but that makes absolutely no sense. The critics aren't going to pop out of my computer screen and attack me.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
I'm sorry, but that makes absolutely no sense. The critics aren't going to pop out of my computer screen and attack me.

Don't be sorry, dear boy. I merely speculated as to why you might care; you strike me as a Romantic, so my response attempted to flatter these sensibilities that I presupposed on your good-self.

You do love life, don't you?

Toku King
Don't be sorry, dear boy. I merely speculated as to why you might care; you strike me as a Romantic, so my response attempted to flatter these sensibilities that I presupposed on your good-self.

You do love life, don't you?

Wow. You're very polite.

That is, when you're not giving it to Fixit. laughing

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Wow. You're very polite.

Aha! You're 12 years old! I should have guessed...No pocket money this week, naughty boy.

dadudemon
Wow. You're very polite.

He's like....a nice version of McLovin.

Dark-Jaxx
Wow. You're very polite.

That is, when you're not giving it to Fixit. laughing You be good.

Robtard
Hancock was alright, the pacing was off though, movie jumped around a bit. I left feeling that all the ingredients for a good movie were there, but the editing was it's main flaw.

SelinaAndBruce
^^Thanks Robtard that's what I've been hearing. Going to see it tomorrow will let you know. The showing was sold out at my theater

ragesRemorse
Hancock was alright, the pacing was off though, movie jumped around a bit. I left feeling that all the ingredients for a good movie were there, but the editing was it's main flaw.

I agree the pacing was a problem. I think the movie could have done with better editing and a bit more focus on character development. I know it's supposed to be a comedy, so why do we need much character development, right? But, the movie is presented as an attempt to deliver a legitimate superhero movie. This is where the writing failed. It never felt like the movie understood what it was. At times it felt like a parody on Superhero's and other times it felt like a dramatic superhero story. It never found the right balance between the two. Also, when the drama starts, much of the humor is lost, only to be saved by the delivery of will smith, but you are aware that the humor is out of place an unwarranted. The ingredients for a semi fresh and successful movie are definitely apparent, but the writing is awful.

I think many people will enjoy this movie and im also certain that many kids will be emulating Hancock's persona. I also wouldn't be surprised to see this movie start a trend with anti-superhero movie's where the hero is a cross between billy bob thorton and hancock. If there weren't so many other good movie's in the theater or about to release. I wouldn't have a problem recommending this to someone as a mindless summer action movie, but hey, Dark Knight and Hellboy 2 are about come out and Wall-E kicks ass cool

Dark-Jaxx
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
I think many people will enjoy this movie and im also certain that many kids will be emulating Hancock's persona. I also wouldn't be surprised to see this movie start a trend with anti-superhero movie's where the hero is a cross between billy bob thorton and hancock. If there weren't so many other good movie's in the theater or about to release. I wouldn't have a problem recommending this to someone as a mindless summer action movie, but hey, Dark Knight and Hellboy 2 are about come out and Wall-E kicks ass cool Lol....

SelinaAndBruce
Wall E is good, and the Dark Knight will most certainly rule all...but Hell Boy 2...I'll pass, lol

SpaceMonkey
I'm passing on this movie. I'm tired of Mr. Overrated Will Smith. The only reason this movie will make as much money as it will is because he has so many followers.

Mairuzu
Originally posted by SpaceMonkey
I'm passing on this movie. I'm tired of Mr. Overrated Will Smith. The only reason this movie will make as much money as it will is because he has so many followers. Don't pass on it, it was very entertaining.

SpaceMonkey
Originally posted by Mairuzu
Don't pass on it, it was very entertaining.

Hmmmm, would you steer me wrong? I don't know....

ragesRemorse
his name is hanCOCK

i just got it laughing

Robtard
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
his name is hanCOCK

i just got it laughing

Actually, it's explained why he goes by the name John Hancock; it has nothing to do with penis.

Emil Blonsky
Honestly, that joke is so damn old.

Anyway, this movie was awesome. What really make me love the movie was the fact that Hancock's race of people are ancient beings who are immortal but can become mortal after being in contact with another of their species for too long. Definitely original.

9/10

SelinaAndBruce
I'm passing on this movie. I'm tired of Mr. Overrated Will Smith. The only reason this movie will make as much money as it will is because he has so many followers.
So you're passing on it because Will Smith is popular? laughing

Anyway I enjoyed Hancock despite it's flaws. I think the critics gave it a hard time because they were expecting something else and I was very worried going into it but I enjoyed it a lot. I disagree about what the flaws were though I think it was mostly pacing in the beginning. I didn't think the twist was stupid or hard to understand and I like that the movie didn't just stay comedic the whole time myself. And I liked how all of it tied into him finding an identity as a hero since he had no memory and no purpose. I also liked the story about his name. All in all I was entertained

SnakeEyes
This movie was alright. Will Smith was kind of how I expected him to be, he usually delivers consistent performances. The plot started as comedy with some action thrown in, briefly veered towards romance, attempted to be a drama and then had some more scenes of action/comedy.

It wasn't as good as I thought it was going to be. If I had the chocie, I wouldn't have paid $10 to see this in the theaters.

Wanted was better.

Mairuzu
Hmmmm, would you steer me wrong? I don't know.... trust me, if not then

name some movies and ill tell you if i liked them or not hahahah

FistOfThe North
Great. A superhero movie where the guy happens to be a drunk, lazy, non ambitious, bummy, Blackguy with a 'tude.

Unbelieveable. Flying with a 40 or a hard liquor bottle? w/e. Only in White america. Think we'll ever see a white superhero in a movie that way, like hell.

Ill admit, the s. effects look cool, but the concept fails and just adds to the steroetypes all White people have about all Blacks.

Robtard
Fail, on several levels.

There are black directed movies that portray blacks in a far worse light. Not to mention that he isn't a drunken bum the entire movie, he actually redeems himself.

Did you happen to miss the reason why Hancock was a drunk? Hint: It wasn't because he was black.

Now you're just being a silly racist again and claiming all White people have something negative against all Black people. Obviously, White people don't believe Will Smith is a drunken loser in real life. People can separate the charactor from the actor.

Dark-Jaxx
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
Great. A superhero movie where the guy happens to be a drunk, lazy, non ambitious, bummy, Blackguy with a 'tude.

Unbelieveable. Flying with a 40 or a hard liquor bottle? w/e. Only in White america. Think we'll ever see a white superhero in a movie that way, like hell.

Ill admit, the s. effects look cool, but the concept fails and just adds to the steroetypes all White people have about all Blacks. 1. He redeems himself, which can be seen as putting blacks in a positive light if you wanna be a dumbass and play the race game.

2. Ironman is an alchoholic. He's white. Stfu, you don't even know what you are talking about.

3. The concept of the movie isn't "Some dumb black alchoholic guy with superheroes", so your point has no relevance. All white people carry that stereotype? That was a very prejudiced and bigoted thing to say hypocrite.

If you hate "white" America, GTFO.

SnakeEyes

Ill admit, the s. effects look cool, but the concept fails and just adds to the steroetypes all White people have about all Blacks.

... You're dumb.

Mairuzu

Originally posted by SnakeEyes
... You're dumb.

Just felt like reminding you.

ragesRemorse

Well, Will Smith did pursue the role with great enthusiasm and there really are no stereotypical overtones in the movie...,not at all actually. You just see things that way because you think everyone is racist. laughing out loud

I'm just kidding. At first, when i saw the trailer i did think to myself, wow...,blaxpoitation much? After seeing the movie, though the character feels more inspired from billy bob thorton than anything. There really are no sterotypical overtone's though

BackFire

Chill. It's just a movie.

Impediment

Why don't you get over it, you racist lunatic?

Quiero Mota
"Homo. Homo in red. Norwegian homo." laughing out loud

Originally posted by Emil Blonsky

Anyway, this movie was awesome. What really make me love the movie was the fact that Hancock's race of people are ancient beings who are immortal but can become mortal after being in contact with another of their species for too long. Definitely original.

9/10

Yeah, that's one thing that I liked about 'Stuporhero'. His weakness is members of his own species. That was pretty interesting, and that physics kept bringing them together. I would have liked it if the movie expanded on his history, like maybe explaining the significance of the eagle and the art in his prison cell. Maybe a couple flashbacks showing his origins and what he's done through out history. And I would've like it better if all through the movie he stayed a drunk, never reformed, and sure as hell never wore an X-men suit.

Emil Blonsky
He was supposed to evolve as a person, so him staying as a drunk throughout the entire movie wouldn't have worked.

Toku King
He was supposed to evolve as a person, so him staying as a drunk throughout the entire movie wouldn't have worked.

You changed your name again?

ScarletSpeed
I am just back from seeing it,

I liked it

I don't care what anyone says, but Will Smiths acting was nothing short of amazing

the story was a bit different from what I thought, but hey, it was still good for some laughs and some feel good comedysmile

BruceSkywalker
Saw this earlier today. Free, thank goodness. Really didn't care for it especially the angle being Both Smith and Theron are Immortal superheroes . This will unfortunately do good in its opening week, beyond that remains to be seen.

SelinaAndBruce

Tony Stark is an alcoholic and a man whore.

And I would rather see that than an overly virtuous extremely politically correct black super hero. Hancock had issues, he worked them out. There's nothing stereotypical about that.

Dark-Jaxx
He just hates white people. Don't listen to him.

Toku King
Originally posted by Dark-Jaxx
He just hates white people. Don't listen to him.

Those damn crackers.

Dark-Jaxx
Those damn crackers. Reported for bigotry.

Emil Blonsky
Ignore him, he's as ignorant as he's unintelligent.

Btw, what's the big deal? He had problems, worked them out, the movie was great. Stop complaining all the damn time people.

Toku King
Originally posted by Dark-Jaxx
Reported for bigotry.

My God, you're stupid.
IT WAS A JOKE

Toku King
Ignore him, he's as ignorant as he's unintelligent.

Who? Me? What the hell did I do?

ScarletSpeed
reported for lulzlaughing out loud

smile

Mairuzu
So yea, the movie....

good movie...

SelinaAndBruce
I am wondering if it is successful if it may spawn other super hero movies that are not based on comics.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>