Mental Health

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Mr. Love
So many people have breakdowns now. Why do we have so many people with mental health problems today? What is it about our society that causes so much pain?

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Mr. Love
So many people have breakdowns now. Why do we have so many people with mental health problems today? What is it about our society that causes so much pain?

Can you please provide some supportive information that shows that mental health problems are higher today then in the past. There is a possibility that they are the same as the past compared to population.

Mr. Love
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Can you please provide some supportive information that shows that mental health problems are higher today then in the past. There is a possibility that they are the same as the past compared to population.

I can show all manner of statistics. Rise in suicide rate increased use of mood altering prescription drugs. It's all common knowledge though.

Shakyamunison
I can show all manner of statistics. Rise in suicide rate increased use of mood altering prescription drugs. It's all common knowledge though.

Or is it all urban legend? The population has risen and awareness has increased.

Mr. Love
Or is it all urban legend? The population has risen and awareness has increased.

No, statistics show increased use. Suicide rates have gone up.

Shakyamunison
No, statistics show increased use. Suicide rates have gone up.

But suicide rates going up do not mean that more people are committing suicide compared to population. It maybe that a certain % of a given population will commit suicide, and sense the population has gone up, then the number of people committing suicide has also increased. However, the % has stayed the same.

Mairuzu
BIPOLARBEAR

Mr. Love
But suicide rates going up do not mean that more people are committing suicide compared to population. It maybe that a certain % of a given population will commit suicide, and sense the population has gone up, then the number of people committing suicide has also increased. However, the % has stayed the same.

The percentage per capita in developed countries is obviously what people discuss and yes, it has gone up.

Shakyamunison
The percentage per capita in developed countries is obviously what people discuss and yes, it has gone up.

How do you know this?

Mr. Love
How do you know this?

Because its what all the statistics state. Google it if you really don't know.

Shakyamunison
Because its what all the statistics state. Google it if you really don't know.

I think you are making an assumption.

Mr. Love
I think you are making an assumption.

You're wrong, it's that simple.

Shakyamunison
You're wrong, it's that simple.

Then prove me wrong. This is your thread; please provide support for your claim.

Mr. Love
Then prove me wrong. This is your thread; please provide support for your claim.

I don't have to provide evidence. You disagree with a statement I made. I stand by that statement; You need to prove it's wrong. However this should help you see how I am right and you are not.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Rise+in+Suicide+per+capita&meta=

Shakyamunison
I don't have to provide evidence. You disagree with a statement I made. I stand by that statement; You need to prove it's wrong. However this should help you see how I am right and you are not.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Rise+in+Suicide+per+capita&meta=

You made the thread; the burden of proof is yours.

chillmeistergen
It depends what type of mental illness, it seems rather ignorant to lump them all in together.

Mr. Love
Originally posted by chillmeistergen
It depends what type of mental illness, it seems rather ignorant to lump them all in together.

Then lets just stick with low mood and depression at all levels.

Is it ignorant though, seeing as so many types are on the rise?

chithappens

Get your head out your ass and give us some damn links.

Not everyone is a genius like you and frankly, this idiot is insulted!

chillmeistergen

I would say that it would still be ignorant, yes.

Depression is probably not on the rise at all, just more documented. The rationale has also changed over time, people are typically more willing to admit there is something wrong than in the past.

Mr. Love
http://www.cdc.gov/media/pressrel/2007/r070906.htm

I could find lots of others for other groups. I apologise for insulting anyone. wink

chillmeistergen
http://www.cdc.gov/media/pressrel/2007/r070906.htm

I could find lots of others for other groups. I apologise for insulting anyone. wink

In teenage suicide cases, I reckon it has a lot to do with the amount of pressure they are given at exactly the wrong time. At sixteen massive hormonal changes are happening, while they're also being made to believe that their whole futures rest on educational merit.

Mr. Love
In teenage suicide cases, I reckon it has a lot to do with the amount of pressure they are given at exactly the wrong time. At sixteen massive hormonal changes are happening, while they're also being made to believe that their whole futures rest on educational merit.

However, in some countries the move to modular exams has reduced pressure for this group surely. Compared to the 60's, 70's and 80's when only one bite at the cherry existed. Wouldn't this remove pressure. I take your point about hormones, but that;s always been the case.

chillmeistergen
However, in some countries the move to modular exams has reduced pressure for this group surely. Compared to the 60's, 70's and 80's when only one bite at the cherry existed. Wouldn't this remove pressure. I take your point about hormones, but that;s always been the case.

You've only provided quantitative evidence of one country's suicide increase. If you're going to bring the educational systems of other countries into it, provide similar evidence for those countries.

Mr. Love
You've only provided quantitative evidence of one country's suicide increase. If you're going to bring the educational systems of other countries into it, provide similar evidence for those countries.

Well actually youth suicide is declining in the U.K. proving modular exams are the answer in the U.S. perhaps?

chillmeistergen
Well actually youth suicide is declining in the U.K. proving modular exams are the answer in the U.S. perhaps?

Not necessarily, no.

Mr. Love
Not necessarily, no.

Why not? We could save the youth of America with AQA and Edexcel!

Eon Blue

Attention.

Mr. Love
Originally posted by Eon Blue
Attention.

Wat?

Eon Blue
Many people fake illness and ailments for attention.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Eon Blue
Many people fake illness and ailments for attention.

Not a very safe way of looking at mental health.

Eon Blue
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Not a very safe way of looking at mental health.

By the statement I made earlier, I'm speaking about certain indivduals. Not mental illness as a whole.

chillmeistergen
Surely that's worrying though, if you crave attention enough to feign illness. Also, is craving attention not in a way depression? If someone feels that nobody notices them, that is bound to cause negative feelings.

Eon Blue
Agreed.

I know several people, and everytime I'm around them they suddenly feel the impusle to play the victim.

Ushgarak
Trolling thread based on a faulty premise. If you want to discuss some of the resulting issues from this thread, please make a new one to cover it.

Closed.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.