Is Dragon Ball A Good Adaptation of Journey To The West?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

MelloDraMattIc
I don't know if this thread has been started already or not, but this question has been bugging me since I realized that Dragon Ball was based off of Journey to the West.
Now, I respect Dragon Ball and all, but I don't really think it has much to do with the original concept of Journey to the West. Sure, they have Goku and some of the other characters, but it soon strays away from what Journey to the West was really about.
In my opinon, not trying to offend anyone, I believe that Saiyuki, while it isn't perfect, is a better adaptation of Journey to the West.
What are your opinons?

psycho gundam
yes until it turned into gratuitous fan service

BradBalboa
hmm well i never actaully read journey to the west, but i think of Dragonball as its own thign to be honest !

King Kandy
Dragonball is a horrible adaptation. It is nothing compared to Journey to the West. After the first couple volumes it becomes nothing like the original. It is a disgrace to the original book.

Accel
Unsurprisingly, it seems some people are confusing "adaptation of" with "influenced by."

Endless Mike
Toriyama sort of went his own way with the story after the first couple of volumes.

King Kandy
Hey went his own way from the very first chapter. Outside of having a Monkey (who is nothing like Sun Wukong) a pig (Who disappeared very quickly and was nothing like Zu Baiji) and a guy who literally is not related to Wujing in the slightest.

Seriously, I understand Goku and Ulong, but seriously... Yamcha is nothing like Sandy. I don't see at all how they are supposed to be the same.

Endless Mike
Well Ox King was supposed to be Gyumao, they even called him by that name a bit

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.