The Strangers - based on a true story

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

psychokandy

Mairuzu
horror

MildPossession
Looks very similar to Them/Ils, a French film that came out a few years ago, now that was a very creepy film.

SkinWalker
I've been waiting for this movie for almost two years, when the trailers first appeared online I hopped on that shit fast.

Despite my enjoyment for the true story thing, there aren't any accounts of the event. Oh well, if it's a marketing ploy, it's a damn good one.

TrinityJ
its not based on anything. It says "inspired by true events"
That could literally mean anything in Hollywood.
As I've said before, it could mean inspired by the making of another film.

Speedman and Tyler should make a good couple. Hopefully not too good though. I wouldnt mind seeing either or both of them completely slaughtered in this one. I voted for Gore than, and im voting for gore now. Give me gore!

Here is the official traler folks.
http://movietrailerlive.com/ct_0002_TheStrangers_A

BackFire
'Them' was indeed a cool film, very creepy.

From what I've heard, this is loosely based on the Manson killings.

psychokandy
Originally posted by TrinityJ
its not based on anything. It says "inspired by true events"
That could literally mean anything in Hollywood.
As I've said before, it could mean inspired by the making of another film.

Speedman and Tyler should make a good couple. Hopefully not too good though. I wouldnt mind seeing either or both of them completely slaughtered in this one. I voted for Gore than, and im voting for gore now. Give me gore!

I have no idea what it's actually based on. I've heard people say it's loosely based on the Manson murders, but who knows. Like you say, it could mean anything in Hollywood.

I love the subtlety of the masked dude in the background slowly creeping up behind Tyler... I almost didn't notice it at first.

I should check out Them/Ils. French films rule. Un Chien Andalou, anyone? wink

Mr Parker
I'll have to see this movie.sounds interesting.

H. S. 6
Intriguing, mostly because they're just people, disregarding the whole psychotic/serial killer thing. If done realistically, the couple should be fighting (literally) for their lives.

SkinWalker
It's first three reviews that showed up on rottentomatoes were fresh, usually that's a good sign, but who knows.

Mairuzu
i guess ill be seeing it today

better than sex in the city...

BackFire
Lame movie. Disappointed.

ragesRemorse
I bet this movie is not based on anything, but inspired by a lot of different horror movie's.

MildPossession
BackFire - Was it similar to Them?

Mr Parker
saw a preview for it the other day,will have to check it out soon.

BackFire
Originally posted by MildPossession
BackFire - Was it similar to Them?

Yes. Premise is identical. The execution is a bit different.

In short, it's not as good.

It had some good scenes. But as a whole it was something of a mishmash.

The Hawk
according to wiki:

The movie is inspired by an event from the director's, Bryan Bertino, childhood, among other things. A stranger came to his home asking for someone. Later, he found out that empty homes in the neighborhood had been robbed. With that memory in mind, Bertino created this, his debut screenplay. The screenplay is also inspired by the events of the Charles Manson murders.

That last thing I would call this movie is "Based on a true story" or even
inspired. obviously just a marketing gimmick.

allofyousuckkk
i thought it was great. I expected to go to see a movie that would terrify me, and it did just that. I was scared the whole time, and that NEVER happens to me in horror movies.

People expect character development, some sort of storyline or twist. Nahh. I went expecting to be scared shitless, and I got just that. I'm very happy

8jj8ii
this scared me. just the thought of me going through this was enough to get my heart rate up a little bit there. based slightly on the manson murders of tate and friends....the writer said so.

Mr Parker
will have to check this one out then. eek!

Darth Martin
I want to see this.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by 8jj8ii
this scared me. just the thought of me going through this was enough to get my heart rate up a little bit there. based slightly on the manson murders of tate and friends....the writer said so.

Well I saw this movie over the weekend.I agree this movie WILL scare you if you see it at the theaters,thats for sure.It had my heart rate going there as well.I had to keep saying to myself-Just remember,its NOT true like they want you to think.

For the people reading this,I would save my money if I were you and dont waste your time on this one.wait till it comes out on cable.Sure it was scary and all but it was very dissapointing,a major letdown.The way it ends is very dissapointing.They never explain to you who those people are in the movie and WHY they want to kill the couple there.The people walking out of the theater pretty much had the same agreements with me about this film as well.I heard comments like-Man that sucked.That was stupid.and one lady saying-I really thought Liv Tyler was better than that.Obviously meaning she shouldnt have accepted a role like this for such a dumb movie. I knew this movie wasnt based on a true story like they were making it out to be when the characters in the movie started acting the way they do in all horror movies,doing the most stupid things that in real life,a logicial person would not do in the same situation.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by Darth Martin
I want to see this.

Yeah thats what I said earlier but like I just got done saying,your better off saving your money and waiting till it comes out on cable.If you DO go ahead and see it,you should at least take my advise and do this,pay to see IronMan,THEN afterwards,sneak in and see this one.That way you will at least leave knowing it wasnt a waste of time since you will have at least have seen ONE good movie for the day.

SelinaAndBruce
I'm a girl and I can name tons of movies that have scared me in my lifetime and this one is definitely NOT one of them. It was so lame I couldn't stop rolling my eyes. The problem is there's only so much you can do with a bunch of lame killers scaring two people. No one gets killed or anything for a long time so it gets boring really fast and lets face it people with scary masks popping around the corner or right in front of your face is only kind of jump worthy the first time...and for the most part incredibly predictable. The only thing that was scary was the masks if anything was scary and at the end of the day I wasn't THAT impressed with them. But that was all the killers had. The ending sucked ASS too. Hands down one of the laziest and dumbest horror flicks I ever saw and I didn't lose a wink of sleep over it.

I don't normally do this but when the film ended I booed.

MildPossession
What has I'm a Girl got to do with anything?!

Darth Martin
Originally posted by Mr Parker
Yeah thats what I said earlier but like I just got done saying,your better off saving your money and waiting till it comes out on cable.If you DO go ahead and see it,you should at least take my advise and do this,pay to see IronMan,THEN afterwards,sneak in and see this one.That way you will at least leave knowing it wasnt a waste of time since you will have at least have seen ONE good movie for the day. I've seen Iron Man twice already. Aweswome movie! cool

But even after you just warned me i'd still want to see it. Alot of people have disliked movies and advised me not to see it. and i've actually liked it. For example Rob Zombie's Halloween was better than the original for me.

MildPossession
You should be smacked for that! stick out tongue

Mr Parker
agreed. big grin that being the case,YOU'LL probably love this film Darth.

SelinaAndBruce
Originally posted by MildPossession
What has I'm a Girl got to do with anything?!
I mean that I am a girl about horror movies as in the jumpy kind of girl, lol

deathbycorn
Anyone know when this is getting a DVD release?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.