Why Nolan's Batman is the greatest Super Hero of all time

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Combat_Guru
The greatest hero ever is probably Batman, who was rich, but chose to live in polverty, and after his training with Ras Al Guhl, become a symbol that helped rebuild all that was left of his father, Gotham...

This Batman is far superior to his predecessors technology wise, he doesn't use a regular cape, but a cape that stiffens with an electrical current and works as a wing propelled by wind, he doesn't use a modified car, but a modified tank, he doesn't use side kicks, or teamates for back up, but actual bats!

And it's all more realistic.

Blax_Hydralisk
I liked 89' Bats better.

BruceSkywalker
Chris Nolan's Batman is the best

Mr Shindiggery
Chris Nolan`s Batman= Modern Batman from the more recent comics and graphic novels such as Batman Year One, Batman The Long Halloween and the comics from the 70s written by Denny O Neil and drawn primarily by Neal Adams.

Tim Burton`s Batman= Batman from the 1930s such as Batman`s first year in comics from 1939 with a bit of Frank Miller`s Batman from The Dark Knight Returns.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker

thats a no brainer.

sithsaber408

thumb up yes

SelinaAndBruce
I prefer Bats from 89 and Returns myself.

Bat Dude
So Nolan's Batman, the same one who preached that "no one is beyond saving" throughout the entire first movie, yet refused to save Ras Al Ghul, who he knew could and probably would die, is the GREATEST hero of all time?

Honestly, at least Burton Batman didn't go against his own word... You knew he was gonna kill Joker, and that was always his intention... Is that "true Batman"? No. But is that a different, entertaining take on Batman? That is your opinion...

With Begins Batman, he completely went against what he preached the whole movie just so he could say a proverbial "up yours" to Ras... Is that "true Batman"? That's debatable... The rest of the movie was top notch, but that left a REALLY bad taste in my mouth...

The GREATEST hero of all time award goes to Chris Reeve's Superman... A true, honest good guy in every sense of the word...

SelinaAndBruce
IA and let's not forget him setting that whole place on fire, not making sure that criminal got out safe or that he was apprehended if he even was a murderer

starlock
I will take Batman 89 over Batman begins also wink

atharpina
Originally posted by Bat Dude
So Nolan's Batman, the same one who preached that "no one is beyond saving" throughout the entire first movie, yet refused to save Ras Al Ghul, who he knew could and probably would die, is the GREATEST hero of all time?

Honestly, at least Burton Batman didn't go against his own word... You knew he was gonna kill Joker, and that was always his intention... Is that "true Batman"? No. But is that a different, entertaining take on Batman? That is your opinion...

With Begins Batman, he completely went against what he preached the whole movie just so he could say a proverbial "up yours" to Ras... Is that "true Batman"? That's debatable... The rest of the movie was top notch, but that left a REALLY bad taste in my mouth...

thats a veeery gud point. i think i like nolan's world better than 89's and i like christian bale's bruce wayne a WHOLE lot better than michael keatons. but i admit that 89's batman probably had a more darkly decent set of values and morals goin on.

SelinaAndBruce
Plus 1989's Batman had the attitude for the most part down too. He was bad ass and I liked his Batman voice.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by atharpina
thats a veeery gud point. i think i like nolan's world better than 89's and i like christian bale's bruce wayne a WHOLE lot better than michael keatons. but i admit that 89's batman probably had a more darkly decent set of values and morals goin on.

yeah that is a good point batdude made and thats fine that he likes it as the best comicbook movie but yeah those points batdude brought up,dont understand how he can be the best SUPERHERO in a comicbook movie.that one still goes to superman.

but are you kidding on batman 89 having more decent set of values and morals? killing people in cowardly ways is hardly a decent set of morals and values.

ScarletSpeed

Bat Dude
Originally posted by Mr Parker
yeah that is a good point batdude made and thats fine that he likes it as the best comicbook movie but yeah those points batdude brought up,dont understand how he can be the best SUPERHERO in a comicbook movie.that one still goes to superman.

but are you kidding on batman 89 having more decent set of values and morals? killing people in cowardly ways is hardly a decent set of morals and values.

I never said that, I just said that Nolan's Batman isn't the best ever...

(I even said at the end of my original post that Reeve's Superman is the best ever)

I never said that B89 had a more decent set of morals... I said that he never betrayed his morals, and he never lied about his morals... We KNEW he was going to kill Joker, and he never said he wouldn't, because that was his intention the whole time...

Mr Parker
I never said that, I just said that Nolan's Batman isn't the best ever...

(I even said at the end of my original post that Reeve's Superman is the best ever)

I never said that B89 had a more decent set of morals... I said that he never betrayed his morals, and he never lied about his morals... We KNEW he was going to kill Joker, and he never said he wouldn't, because that was his intention the whole time...

I should have made myself more clear that when I said how can he be the best superhero in a movie? that I was referring to the thread starters original post. wink because like I said,that was a good point you brought up and thats why I agree with you that Reeves superman is the best ever superhero .I dont think the definitive Batman movie has been made yet because of those points you made even though you know my views on Batman Begins and the OTHER Batman films. big grin

and yes i know YOU didnt say that in Batman 89 that he had a more decent set of morals,altharpina did,thats why i was quoting HER. yeah he never betrayed his morals,which indeed were horrible.

Bardock42

I agree. That really was the worst part for me characterwise. And then there were those really cheesy things. But all in all a great movie.

Devil King
Originally posted by Bardock42
I agree. That really was the worst part for me characterwise. And then there were those really cheesy things. But all in all a great movie.

Why would Batman save a character that he could not convince? In Begins it wasn't a matter of Batman choosing to abandon his principles, it was a matter of Batman choosing the best for his cause. That is why the Joker is a more unique example of his pity and understanding. With Ghul, Bruce knew where he was coming from, with the Joker, he doesn't know what lead him to where he is. Ra's admitted to being a member of a group that had plagued civility for centuries, in TDK, the Joker doesn't seem to allocate such insight into himself. I may be wrong, since none of us have seen the film. But I can totally understand why Bruce didn't save Ghul, while not killing the Joker. Bruce has, at least in the more seriously considered issues of the mythology, sought to reconcile and convince the Joker of some error in his ways. Somewhere in Bruce, he recognizes that the Joker is the most far gone of his adversaries, and thinks that if he can somehow convince him of his error, that he might one day be able to let go of his own rage. But, the Joker is fundamentally different than Bruce. And that is why the struggle goes on, practically forever. The difference in action/reaction, is that age and experience end up playing a role in Bruce's behavior and reaction.

Bat Dude
Originally posted by Devil King
Why would Batman save a character that he could not convince? In Begins it wasn't a matter of Batman choosing to abandon his principles, it was a matter of Batman choosing the best for his cause. That is why the Joker is a more unique example of his pity and understanding. With Ghul, Bruce knew where he was coming from, with the Joker, he doesn't know what lead him to where he is. Ra's admitted to being a member of a group that had plagued civility for centuries, in TDK, the Joker doesn't seem to allocate such insight into himself. I may be wrong, since none of us have seen the film. But I can totally understand why Bruce didn't save Ghul, while not killing the Joker. Bruce has, at least in the more seriously considered issues of the mythology, sought to reconcile and convince the Joker of some error in his ways. Somewhere in Bruce, he recognizes that the Joker is the most far gone of his adversaries, and thinks that if he can somehow convince him of his error, that he might one day be able to let go of his own rage. But, the Joker is fundamentally different than Bruce. And that is why the struggle goes on, practically forever. The difference in action/reaction, is that age and experience end up playing a role in Bruce's behavior and reaction.

But he said all throughout the movie that NO ONE is beyond saving... Why is Ras the only exception? Batman would never just leave one of his adversaries to die... That's what makes him DIFFERENT from his adversaries, is the fact that he'll always try to do the heroic deed, even if he knows it'll cause more suffering for him... He's that obsessed with justice, that he'd risk his life so that justice can be administered... Nolan's Batman fails on that level...

Devil King
He said he wouldn't kill. But pointed out that he didn't have to save him.

Combat_Guru
Earlier Bruce says no one is beyond saving, but he soon learns thats not the case, Ra's convinced him, and he won.

But what didn't kill Bruce, made him stronger, this Batman might not be crazy enough to be perfect, but he is smart enough to change.

"Why do we fall? So we can learn to pick ourselves back up."

Combat_Guru
The deference between Bale's Batman, and Reeve's Superman is that,

Superman teaches people that he will stick up for them, so they don't have to stick up for themselves.

Batman teaches people to stick up for themselves.

Devil King
And in the first movie, he said he wouldn't kill, but didn't have to save Ghul. In this one, he's starting to realize that he might have to kill in order to stop the Joker. a la, kill the Joker to stop him. But I'm sure that in the end, he'll stop him and the Joker will live.

sindahouse
He's not... I mean I like Nolan's Batman, but he ain;t my fave version. Not by a long shot

Combat_Guru
My point is, Batman is the greatest Super-Hero, whether it be Nolan's or not.

I say this because his basic principal is that you can be a hero without super powers, any man can stick up for himself, Superman teaches that you have to have powers, with his very decision not to give up his own.

BLAM Superman fanboys, in yo face!!!

Mr Parker
hmmm,that would be a good point IF not for the title of this thread.Hey Combat Guru,I have heard your thoughts on the look of the joker which I really like,any chance i could get you to post them on my thread?

Combat_Guru
Originally posted by Mr Parker
hmmm,that would be a good point IF not for the title of this thread.Hey Combat Guru,I have heard your thoughts on the look of the joker which I really like,any chance i could get you to post them on my thread?

Quit bugging me about it ok?

I got nothing to say except that I don't like it.

SmashBro
Originally posted by Combat_Guru

I say this because his basic principal is that you can be a hero without super powers, any man can stick up for himself, Superman teaches that you have to have powers, with his very decision not to give up his own.

Umm...when did Superman ever implied that? He himself has done things even without the use of his powers so what's your point?

Bat Dude

Note: Batman is my favorite comic character, so this is NOT a knock at Batman...

Oh really? If Batman's basic principal is to tell you that you can be your own hero, how come every time there's a mugging, it's always Batman that has to save the people who could at least TRY to fend for themselves? I think Catwoman put it best with this line:

"You're always waiting for Batman to save you..."

If teaching someone to fend for themselves is the quality of the best hero, then Paul Kersey (Charles Bronson's character in "Death Wish"wink is the best hero... He inspired all of New York City to fend for themselves and take the streets back from the muggers and rapists that plagued them... But he kills people, so I guess that he isn't allowed in the contest...

Superman is the best hero, period... He is the most honest, true good guy that ever existed in comic books...

imo, this is my list of "bests" (based on a set of criteria I chose myself)... (After Supes, no particular order)

1. Superman (protects people even when they hate him)
2. Paul Kersey (he inspired the population to fight back against crime)
3. Spider-Man (he also inspires people to fight back in his 1st movie)
4. Burton's Batman (he protects Gotham, despite his methods)
5. Nolan's Batman (he's a hypocrite, but he protects Gotham)

Combat_Guru
Note: Batman is my favorite comic character, so this is NOT a knock at Batman...

Oh really? If Batman's basic principal is to tell you that you can be your own hero, how come every time there's a mugging, it's always Batman that has to save the people who could at least TRY to fend for themselves? I think Catwoman put it best with this line:

"You're always waiting for Batman to save you..."

If teaching someone to fend for themselves is the quality of the best hero, then Paul Kersey (Charles Bronson's character in "Death Wish"wink is the best hero... He inspired all of New York City to fend for themselves and take the streets back from the muggers and rapists that plagued them... But he kills people, so I guess that he isn't allowed in the contest...

Superman is the best hero, period... He is the most honest, true good guy that ever existed in comic books...

imo, this is my list of "bests" (based on a set of criteria I chose myself)... (After Supes, no particular order)

1. Superman (protects people even when they hate him)
2. Paul Kersey (he inspired the population to fight back against crime)
3. Spider-Man (he also inspires people to fight back in his 1st movie)
4. Burton's Batman (he protects Gotham, despite his methods)
5. Nolan's Batman (he's a hypocrite, but he protects Gotham)

Batman is a hero without super powers, if thats not teaching people to use what they have to overcome tyranny, instead of what they want, then I don't know what is.

Superman has a pricipal, no matter what some comic books write, that pricipal is that he is a dominant force placed on this Earth to protect us.

And in that case, Batman is a more genuine hero, is he not?

I'll have to admit I don't like the idea of God, but I love the idea of Jesus Christ, because Jesus Christ was willing to feel and try, and God was not.

SelinaAndBruce
I think Batman letting Ras die was stupid too because in my heart of hearts I know Batman would save the Joker's life if he could and the Joker is way more dangerous than Ras IMO

Mr Parker
yeah none of the Batman movies really capture the true essence of Batman.Batman Begins comes the closest but its not entirely faithful to his character either because yeah he saves the joker all the time and he is his arch enemy.Hopefully in the next film, Batman will realise that no matter how evil they are,that he will start doing that in the next film.If he does,then it can be all forgotten about since you can strike it up to him just starting out and learning.

Mairuzu
Originally posted by SelinaAndBruce
I think Batman letting Ras die was stupid too because in my heart of hearts I know Batman would save the Joker's life if he could and the Joker is way more dangerous than Ras IMO He doesn't even know the joker yet (in this movie)

Ras was very dangerous

SelinaAndBruce
Originally posted by Mairuzu
He doesn't even know the joker yet (in this movie)

Ras was very dangerous
I know he doesn't know the Joker yet I saw Batman Begins, lol. I'm just saying that Batman's nature in general is to save everybody. I don't believe he'd find a way to survive an imminent train crash and leave any of his enemies to die just to teach them a lesson. That's now how he operates.

SentryPrime

I say this because his basic principal is that you can be a hero without super powers , any man can stick up for himself, Superman teaches that you have to have powers, with his very decision not to give up his own.

Indeed, all you need are billions of dollars!

Combat_Guru
Originally posted by SentryPrime
Indeed, all you need are billions of dollars!

In my list of what I'd rather have, Super Powers>Billions of Dollars, all though in this world you need one to have the other.

Toku King
Movie Spider-Man>BB Batman
Movie Iron Man>BB Batman
Movie Wolverine>BB Batman
2008 Hulk>BB Batman

And so on.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.