Coffee Shop Religion

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Grand_Moff_Gav
Is Buddhism becomming a "coffee shop" religion? In the sense that almost everyone these days seems to want to be Buddhist but doesn't want to actually commit themselves to the religion?

jaden101
the same as any pathetic celebrity driven fad...it'll pass

now coffee shop culture itself seems to be more of a religion...friends has a lot to answer for

Grand_Moff_Gav
I think the Buddhists will get upset...the Dali Lama is certainly enjoying the popularity...although he only represents a very small section of Buddhists.

DigiMark007
Kaballah was the rage a while back, so these things come and go. A lot of people who give up traditional Western religion and still need "something" gravitate toward the slightly-easier-to-rationally-swallow Eastern traditions. And Buddhism is by far the most recognizable of those, as well as the most readily available to people (at least in watered down form). So you see lots of people who vaguely agree with the principles without being devout adherents.

Hell, a girl I just started dating is a Christian for census purposes, and doesn't practice but vaguely agrees with Chrstian tradition. And she was telling me the other day how she believes in karma. It's more pervasive than some people think, but I also think that most of the people like that don't literally consider themselves Buddhists. Most, in my experience, realize what they are: casual believers, not strict adherents.

...which is to take nothing away from those who actually do practice Buddhism seriously, who probably get a bad rep in western society because of such trends.

Bicnarok

Symmetric Chaos

leonheartmm
the thing with buddhism is, it isnt strongent as other relgions are. there are no single gods and messiahs and rebirths and raptures to beleive in. hell you dont even have to beleive in an afterlife if you dont want to, nor PRACTICE the ideals which are more philosophy than relegion to begin with. there are just less of what you call FUNDAMENTALS of faith. so basically as long as you have some beleif in some sort of karma, beleif that life has suffering and that can seize with seizing of desire and a few other like empathy maybe, you can call yourself a buddhist, or a beleiver in buddhist ideology. or maybe just a non practicing buddhist. people just see buddhism from the perspective of what other relegions are and it doesnt work.

DigiMark007
Originally posted by leonheartmm
the thing with buddhism is, it isnt strongent as other relgions are. there are no single gods and messiahs and rebirths and raptures to beleive in. hell you dont even have to beleive in an afterlife if you dont want to, nor PRACTICE the ideals which are more philosophy than relegion to begin with. there are just less of what you call FUNDAMENTALS of faith. so basically as long as you have some beleif in some sort of karma, beleif that life has suffering and that can seize with seizing of desire and a few other like empathy maybe, you can call yourself a buddhist, or a beleiver in buddhist ideology. or maybe just a non practicing buddhist. people just see buddhism from the perspective of what other relegions are and it doesnt work.

Many Buddhists would disagree with that assessment, as would I. Its system of rules and practices, while perhaps not as strict as Western religions in demanding fealty, is every bit as complex and intricate as them.

Sym seems closer to the mark, as the "coffee shop" Buddhists Gav is talking about usually can't outline the core precepts of Buddhism beyond, say, reincarnation and karma. And if they can, it is on the edges of their philosophy, and not an intrinsic part of their beliefs.

As always, there isn't "yes" and "no" to the question "Are you a real Buddhist?" Or any religion for that matter. Those that you're speaking of would be closer to a yes than the coffee-shoppers, while practicng Buddhists would be even moreso. It's a spectrum rather than a duality. There are degrees of asherence. So I hesitate to disagree with you because you have a good point, but I think you're looking at it from the wrong perspective.

Shakyamunison

I'm sorry to tell you this, but to say the Buddhism does not have fundamental beliefs because they do not believe in the fundamental beliefs of other religions is a statement derived from ignorance.

It is true that we will not threaten you with eternity in a burning hell, but that does not mean that a person cannot be excommunicated.

leonheartmm
^im not talking about complexity and intricacy. buddhism has it naturally while christianity etc laks it severely so people have to force and make it. i am simply talking about precepts. buddhism isnt the kinf of relegion which id imagine wud be quick to try and label sum1 a beleiver or non beleiver or hypocrite. its philosophy more than relegious dogma. are you aware of hinduism? scripturally atleast there are pursuits in life which are both high and low{i.e. the pursuit of sexual happines, the pursuit of materialistic satisfaction and the highest would be the pursuit of your own atma and spiritual enlightenment} but none are considered not WORTHY of being chased after. chasing after material happiness is one of the worthy pursuits in life according to hinduism. it isnt as high for your ownself but there is nuthing WRONG with it. so basically, you dont have to be falling the higher spiritual ones to be called a hindu{atleast according to some scriptures}, all you have to do is ACKNOWLEDGE the higher ones to be called a hindu. i think buddhism is similar.

Shakyamunison
^im not talking about complexity and intricacy. buddhism has it naturally while christianity etc laks it severely so people have to force and make it. i am simply talking about precepts. buddhism isnt the kinf of relegion which id imagine wud be quick to try and label sum1 a beleiver or non beleiver or hypocrite. its philosophy more than relegious dogma. are you aware of hinduism? scripturally atleast there are pursuits in life which are both high and low{i.e. the pursuit of sexual happines, the pursuit of materialistic satisfaction and the highest would be the pursuit of your own atma and spiritual enlightenment} but none are considered not WORTHY of being chased after. chasing after material happiness is one of the worthy pursuits in life according to hinduism. it isnt as high for your ownself but there is nuthing WRONG with it. so basically, you dont have to be falling the higher spiritual ones to be called a hindu{atleast according to some scriptures}, all you have to do is ACKNOWLEDGE the higher ones to be called a hindu. i think buddhism is similar.

Just like Christianity, there are two types of Buddhists: those who are part of a temple or lay organization and those who are not but call them selves a Buddhist (Christians who are a part of a church and those who are not as an example).

A Coffee Shop Buddhist is what I call a person who, for what ever reason, calls them selves a Buddhist, but is not a member of a temple or lay organization.

Grand_Moff_Gav
^im not talking about complexity and intricacy. buddhism has it naturally while christianity etc laks it

I'm sorry...but could you elaborate on that?

leonheartmm
Originally posted by Grand_Moff_Gav
I'm sorry...but could you elaborate on that?

how many times in the bible do you see romantic wonder and abstract descriptions of space/time/soul/conciousness/love etc. the ones that do come have to do with commandment, histroy lesson, rightousness based in goodness, self depricity, or thankfulness at god for so and so{and those who dont perform it are wicked} and his praise and different types of black and white. its either historical lessons which are supposed to condition you{as opposed to make you wonder and take journeys of self realisation} into beleiving sumthing, daily practices on what to do and what not to so{not giving explanations for WHY they are the way they are}, how to put yourself down by beleiving that you nor any1 else is worthy of being saved by god or jesus but were saved anyway so you shud be eternally grateful and to hate those that do no believe what you beleive despite certain places mentioning awesome love etc. its like the divine world works a lot like a monarchy or tyrrany on earth, {being just as bland} except the word DIVINE is added aftrer everything{without its implied meaning being present}. most eastern relegions, for better or for worse are not like this.

WrathfulDwarf
There is been KMC members whom I would consider coffee shop buddhists. Then there are KMC members who I spoken in the past and do practice buddhism.

I consider myself a "Catholic coffee-shop" person. I like theology but can't really prescribe myself to be a devoted catholic person. I would be lying to myself if I tried to be a more devoted catholic.

Grand_Moff_Gav
how many times in the bible do you see romantic wonder and abstract descriptions of space/time/soul/conciousness/love etc. the ones that do come have to do with commandment, histroy lesson, rightousness based in goodness, self depricity, or thankfulness at god for so and so{and those who dont perform it are wicked} and his praise and different types of black and white. its either historical lessons which are supposed to condition you{as opposed to make you wonder and take journeys of self realisation} into beleiving sumthing, daily practices on what to do and what not to so{not giving explanations for WHY they are the way they are}, how to put yourself down by beleiving that you nor any1 else is worthy of being saved by god or jesus but were saved anyway so you shud be eternally grateful and to hate those that do no believe what you beleive despite certain places mentioning awesome love etc. its like the divine world works a lot like a monarchy or tyrrany on earth, {being just as bland} except the word DIVINE is added aftrer everything{without its implied meaning being present}. most eastern relegions, for better or for worse are not like this.

You dislike the Theology behind the romantic wonder and abstract descriptions of space/time/soul/conciousness/love etc?

leonheartmm
^i dislike the lack of profoundness and dullness present in the bible used to describe the mystical. its almost like a mockery. its like the mystical realm is just the same a crappy version of the human realm, only with magic. that works better even in pantheonic relegions.

Quiero Mota
Is Buddhism becomming a "coffee shop" religion? In the sense that almost everyone these days seems to want to be Buddhist but doesn't want to actually commit themselves to the religion?

I would say so.

A few years ago I had a Viet employee and he told me that a Coffee Shop Buddhist is a white person who feels like they need a bit of direction in their life, bump into a Buddhism Intro at Barnes & Noble, read it, and then decide to call themsleves Buddhist. Now I've met a few White-American Buddhists, and I hate to say it, but that description is right on the money.

DigiMark007
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
I would say so.

A few years ago I had a Viet employee and he told me that a Coffee Shop Buddhist is a white person who feels like they need a bit of direction in their life, bump into a Buddhism Intro at Barnes & Noble, read it, and then decide to call themsleves Buddhist. Now I've met a few White-American Buddhists, and I hate to say it, but that description is right on the money.

You say it like it's such an insult. I'd agree with your assessment as a sociological phenomenon, just not as a value judgment, as your tone seems to imply.

Shakyamunison
I would say so.

So, all White-Americans who are Buddhists are Coffee Shop Buddhist? That sounds bigoted to me.

Grand_Moff_Gav
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
So, all White-Americans who are Buddhists are Coffee Shop Buddhist? That sounds bigoted to me.

He's not far wrong...it is an epidemic laughing

Shakyamunison
He's not far wrong...it is an epidemic laughing

stick out tongue I would consider all the evangelicals a plague. stick out tongue

Grand_Moff_Gav
stick out tongue I would consider all the evangelicals a plague. stick out tongue

Quickly the bleach!

Devil King

Very, very many are just that. And Mota's friend's description is applicable in a huge number of cases. But where I depart from the implication made in both of these posts, is that the majority of the supposedly religious, no matter the religion, are "coffee shop".

l_bn_MsjhjA&hl=en

Quiero Mota

Not all, but damn near.

And I have the feeling you're one, because Buddhist don't make up their own views of what god is.

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by Devil King
Very, very many are just that. And Mota's friend's description is applicable in a huge number of cases. But where I depart from the implication made in both of these posts, is that the majority of the supposedly religious, no matter the religion, are "coffee shop".

l_bn_MsjhjA&hl=en

Coffe shop refers to converts who don't take their new-found faith very seriously.

Devil King
Coffe shop refers to converts who don't take their new-found faith very seriously.

Oh I know what it refers to in this case. (you'll recall I used it before and set off Shaky) Point being that Mr. Hitchens is right and he supports my point. There are very few people in this nation that take their religion seriously, and even fewer who understand how seriously their self-professed religions demand they are to be taken.

Most Buddhists in this country are nothing more than fadists, I'll agree with that certainly.

Shakyamunison
Not all, but damn near.

And I have the feeling you're one, because Buddhist don't make up their own views of what god is.

How would you know?

A Buddhist leader would adhere to the Buddhist school, but I am just a member, and there is no hell that I can go to for believing differently then others.

Officially we do not believe in souls or ghosts, however, just the other day a member gave an experience about their cat, who died, and that they believed that their cat was now a ghost. The leadership was there and not a single thing was said to this person for believing in something like a ghost.

The fact is, you don't understand my religion or the people and how we believe. We are not childish or ignorant enough to ignore what a person is saying and focus on an unimportant belief.

Shakyamunison

Then in my case you are wrong. You do not know my dedication and seriousness. It would be like me telling you that you are not a serious Christian. How would I know your dedication?

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by Devil King
Oh I know what it refers to in this case. (you'll recall I used it before and set off Shaky) Point being that Mr. Hitchens is right and he supports my point. There are very few people in this nation that take their religion seriously, and even fewer who understand how seriously their self-professed religions demand they are to be taken.

Most Buddhists in this country are nothing more than fadists, I'll agree with that certainly.

And what makes Chris believe that? Just because he became naturalized about a year ago, he's suddenly a guru on our culture? I have a more reliable opinion of religion in the US than he does.

How would you know?

A Buddhist leader would adhere to the Buddhist school, but I am just a member, and there is no hell that I can go to for believing differently then others.

Officially we do not believe in souls or ghosts, however, just the other day a member gave an experience about their cat, who died, and that they believed that their cat was now a ghost. The leadership was there and not a single thing was said to this person for believing in something like a ghost.

The fact is, you don't understand my religion or the people and how we believe. We are not childish or ignorant enough to ignore what a person is saying and focus on an unimportant belief.

Did Siddartha ever say that the universe is a living thing?

Shakyamunison
And what makes Chris believe that? Just because he became naturalized about a year ago, he's suddenly a guru on our culture? I have a more reliable opinion of religion in the US than he does.

Did Siddartha ever say that the universe is a living thing?

Buddha never said anything about the universe, or God.

Quiero Mota
Buddha never said anything about the universe, or God.

So then why are you adding?

Shakyamunison
So then why are you adding?

You don't understand Buddhism. Many people over time have added to the teaching of Buddha. This is were schools like Zen came from. Why did the founder of Zen add to the teachings of Buddha? Now, please keep in mind that I am not starting a new school, therefore I am not adding anything to the teachings of Buddha.

There are people in my Buddhist group that are Christian and Buddhist. It has been told to me that we do not tell people to go away just because they are a member of another religion or believe some things differently. As long as they are good people who believe in the core practice they are welcome.

What is the core practice of my religion?

Quiero Mota
You don't understand Buddhism.

I understand it doesn't talk about any god(s). You converted to it and then started making up your beliefs about the divine: that is what this thread talks about.

Shakyamunison
I understand it doesn't talk about any god(s). You converted to it and then started making up your beliefs about the divine: that is what this thread talks about.

That is not true. I believe that Pure Land Buddhist believe that Buddha was a divine being. I do not know very much about Pure Land Buddhism, so I might be wrong. However, I have read were some schools of Buddhism believes that Buddha was a divine being similar to Jesus.

You are speaking from a position of ignorance.

Quiero Mota

I don't know.

But I do know this thread is about you.

Shakyamunison
I don't know.

But I do know this thread is about you.

So, you are admitting to being a troll?

Quiero Mota
What's the core practice of Buddhism?

Shakyamunison
What's the core practice of Buddhism?

There are as many different schools in Buddhism as there are denominations in Christianity.

All I can speak for is my own. We chant, Nam Myoho Renge Kyo.

Devil King

No, you don't. He might have just become a citizen, but he's lived here as long as I have. He makes the point in this interview that anyone with two eyes can see when considering his points. And you can see it in other people too. Most cities aren't dead quiet on Sunday, and if they are then they're most likely quiet on Monday, Wednesday and Friday too. Not even the little town in which I grew up did they roll the sidewalks up on Sunday. More people lie on the couch, or mow the lawn or go to brunch because they slept in or decided to clean the garage or go shopping or to the flea market, than go to church. But if the numbers represented in these phone polls and comment galleries are to be believed, this is a nation that holds the ideas of the bible to be their moral law. Well, they don't. They don't follow the rules set forth by the bible, they ignore commandments and even the golden rule. So, while it might be a little out of line to call them atheists, it isn't out of line to call the closet atheists.

Quiero Mota
We chant, Nam Myoho Renge Kyo.

Which means?

Shakyamunison
Which means?

http://www.sgi.org/buddhism/practice/nam-myoho-renge-kyo.html

Symmetric Chaos
There are as many different schools in Buddhism as there are denominations in Christianity.

All I can speak for is my own. We chant, Nam Myoho Renge Kyo.

Chanting is a practice not a belief.

Quiero Mota
You know Shaky, it would be a lot more helpful to your argument if you didn't copy and paste all your answers. It makes you look like a Buddhist JIA, and it doesn't lend credibility to your claim to be a tried and true Buddhist if you can't put that last paragraph into your own words and distill it down to a single sentence explanation.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Chanting is a practice not a belief.

Your point is?

Shakyamunison
You know Shaky, it would be a lot more helpful to your argument if you didn't copy and paste all your answers. It makes you look like a Buddhist JIA, and it doesn't lend credibility to your claim to be a tried and true Buddhist if you can't put that last paragraph into your own words and distill it down to a single sentence explanation.

I posted 8 posts in this thread today, and all of them in my own words. You ask me for a definition and I cut and paste 1 post, and you say I cut and paste all my answers.

You are full of shit.

DigiMark007
I'm surprised you don't already expect that kind of sh*t from him, shakya.

Anyway Mota, you asked a question, he provided the answer. Like shakya said, it was one post among countless. Your debating tactics are starting to look more like JIA's, which ironically is what you accused shakya of. You're just a bigot with a litany of hateful opinions, and you enjoy generalizing like it's your job. I sincerely hope you shake away a lot of the intolerance you have for other beliefs.

Btw, when JIA copy/pastes, it's all the time, and it's also with a "you should believe this" tone. What shakya posted, it was a "this is what I believe" tone. Gigantic difference, though subtleties like that must be lost on you.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by DigiMark007
I'm surprised you don't already expect that kind of sh*t from him, shakya.

Anyway Mota, you asked a question, he provided the answer. Like shakya said, it was one post among countless. Your debating tactics are starting to look more like JIA's, which ironically is what you accused shakya of. You're just a bigot with a litany of hateful opinions, and you enjoy generalizing like it's your job. I sincerely hope you shake away a lot of the intolerance you have for other beliefs.

Btw, when JIA copy/pastes, it's all the time, and it's also with a "you should believe this" tone. What shakya posted, it was a "this is what I believe" tone. Gigantic difference, though subtleties like that must be lost on you.

I was a little surprised that he went for it so quickly. Most people would have tried to get me to cut and paste more. wink

Thanks for the support.

Grand_Moff_Gav
I was a little surprised that he went for it so quickly. Most people would have tried to get me to cut and paste more. wink

Thanks for the support.

Jesus was right...Satan doesn't divide upon himself. wink

(I dont think I've posted anything serious today...one of those moods lol)

Symmetric Chaos
Your point is?

Apparently that I have no short term memory, lol.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Apparently that I have no short term memory, lol.

laughing Been there, done that...

Deja~vu
They have Aricept for that... stick out tongue

Zeal Ex Nihilo
Yes. Buddhism is chic because people think that they're all wicked deep and stuff for searching for enlightenment and meditating and whatnot, but they don't give two rats' asses about anything beyond that.

When I read Quiero Mota's posts, the first thing that comes to mind is "hateful bigot."

(Thanks for playing, Urizen.)

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Zeal Ex Nihilo
Yes. Buddhism is chic because people think that they're all wicked deep and stuff for searching for enlightenment and meditating and whatnot, but they don't give two rats' asses about anything beyond that.

But the same thing can be said about some Christians. They go to church twice a years and call themselves Christian, "but they don't give two rats' asses about anything beyond that".

Deja~vu
When it comes to something important to them, they will act like many people that do not have integrity and do the worst thing, lie, cheat, steal and other things. In the morning, however, they will thank god for forgiving their sins and making a new start, yet again. They have not changed their hearts which is a Bible teaching.

They use the teachings as a "clause."

Quiero Mota

The same can be said about Hindusim in the US. According to government demographic reports, the religion is gaining numbers in the US, not because of Indian immigration, but because of conversion. The vast majority of whom are of European ancestry, who converted from Christianity. In India reincarnation is seen as a curse that someone must overcome. But in the US, its a fad that's considered cool.

The same can be said about a lot of American converts to Buddhism.

When I read Quiero Mota's posts, the first thing that comes to mind is "hateful bigot."

That's a shame...

dadudemon
I posted 8 posts in this thread today, and all of them in my own words. You ask me for a definition and I cut and paste 1 post, and you say I cut and paste all my answers.

You are full of shit.

a Feisty Shaky?

laughing laughing laughing

I go to church every Sunday. I hold a position in my church. 10% of all my income goes to my church. I pray everyday, more than once....etc etc etc.

If Shaky does the Buddhist equivalent of the above, isn't he every bit a Buddhist as I am a Christian? Far from "coffee" shop pedigree, imo.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by dadudemon
a Feisty Shaky?

laughing laughing laughing

I go to church every Sunday. I hold a position in my church. 10% of all my income goes to my church. I pray everyday, more than once....etc etc etc.

If Shaky does the Buddhist equivalent of the above, isn't he every bit a Buddhist as I am a Christian? Far from "coffee" shop pedigree, imo.

laughing I just call them like I see them.

Deja~vu
I just give of my time to help the needy and money if I have it. No need to give to the church.

DigiMark007
That's a shame...

Yet true. You know, you could attempt to either explain yourself if there's a misunderstanding, or work toward changing such negative attitudes. Ignoring our words makes it no less true, nor does it make your statements any less hateful.

Quiero Mota
Yet true. You know, you could attempt to either explain yourself if there's a misunderstanding, or work toward changing such negative attitudes. Ignoring our words makes it no less true, nor does it make your statements any less hateful.

What are you suggesting? If he thinks that, he thinks that. Not everyone you meet will like you. That's just the nature of group dynamics. Being a people-pleaser is pretty pointless.

DigiMark007
What are you suggesting? If he thinks that, he thinks that. Not everyone you meet will like you. That's just the nature of group dynamics. Being a people-pleaser is pretty pointless.

What does liking me have to do with anything? I'm actually quite thrilled at the people who do and don't like me: both groups say a lot. In any case, that wasn't even close to what I was talking about.

I was suggesting that maybe once enough people have called you out as being a d*ck, you should do something to correct your attitudes towards others and try to become more tolerant. You don't have to like everyone, and everyone doesn't have to like you, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't be as good a person as possible.

dadudemon
What does liking me have to do with anything? I'm actually quite thrilled at the people who do and don't like me: both groups say a lot. In any case, that wasn't even close to what I was talking about.

I was suggesting that maybe once enough people have called you out as being a d*ck, you should do something to correct your attitudes towards others and try to become more tolerant. You don't have to like everyone, and everyone doesn't have to like you, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't be as good a person as possible.

Sounds like Jesus rhetoric to me....shifty

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by dadudemon
Sounds like Jesus rhetoric to me....shifty

Like turn the check and love your neighbor?

Quiero Mota

Ok, Dr. Phil.

Shakyamunison
Ok, Dr. Phil.

Wow! Someone tells you to be more respectfull and you turn around and say this. laughing

Quiero Mota
The way he worded it made me feel like I should be reclined on an Italian leather lounge with my hands folded on my chest, while staring at a fishtank and listening Sounds of the Ocean. And all the while a middle-aged hippie is telling me his post verbatim.

Shakyamunison
The way he worded it made me feel like I should be reclined on an Italian leather lounge with my hands folded on my chest, while staring at a fishtank and listening Sounds of the Ocean. And all the while a middle-aged hippie is telling me his post verbatim.
laughing I understand, but there was a type of irony, in that exchange, that made me laugh.

DigiMark007
Yeah, I wasn't going for any particular idiom. But it seems he took it as such, and also used that as an excuse to ignore my advice, confirming his image as a jerk.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.