Batman R.I.P.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Deathstroke
I didn't see a thread for this so.....

What's everyone think so far? It's 2 issues in and I'm pretty intrigued by it.

DigiMark007
2 issues? Oh. I must've missed the first one, because I got teh new one thinking it was the first.

Anyway, I dislike minis that cover like 4 different books (Batman, Batman/Superman, Robin, Nightwing, etc.). It's a money-making scam. But I promised myself I'd splurge a bit around FC time to stay up on everything, so meh.

Seems a bit anti-climactic so far. I can't really get excited about a group of villains I've never heard of before. The story's fine and Morrison is doing fine convincing me that Bats is in real trouble, but I'm still just kinda like "eh" when I see a bunch of no-name Circus Gang rejects infiltrating the Batcave. Joker better be behind this or something.

Darth Vicious
The gang of nobodies beating the crap out of Alfred it reminded me when Jarvis got the crap beaten out of him by the Masters of Evil.. Anyways, Im curious were they are going with all this and why is Bats letting his guard down with that woman. Specially since her name is Jezebel!

Deathstroke
Originally posted by DigiMark007
I can't really get excited about a group of villains I've never heard of before. The story's fine and Morrison is doing fine convincing me that Bats is in real trouble, but I'm still just kinda like "eh" when I see a bunch of no-name Circus Gang rejects infiltrating the Batcave. Joker better be behind this or something.
I recommend you read the first issue. (Batman 676) I like to see some fresh faces once in a while personally, and in a mystery story like this I think it makes it all the more mysterious.

But yeah, Joker is a pimp.

BruceSkywalker
I 've read the first two issues. Very intriqued by the story. I think what will eventually happen, but I'm gonna keep it to myself

Erik-Lensherr
I'm about as excited about this as I am for Final Crisis. smile

Neo Darkhalen
so the villain is the black glove or something like that?

starlock
I have not found it to my liking so far, but i will stay the long road

WrathfulDwarf
Every time Morrison includes his horrendous creation of Damian into the story I get turn off.

Rumors are....

Alfred betrays Bruce

Leave it to Morrison/Didio to make the final decision. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Darth Vicious
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf

Rumors are....

Alfred betrays Bruce

Unless the ending to # 2 is a setup, I doubt it. He got the s**t beaten out of him.

BruceSkywalker
Every time Morrison includes his horrendous creation of Damian into the story I get turn off.

Rumors are....

Alfred betrays Bruce

That wouldn't make sense, but then again if its what I'm thinking that is going to happen when all is said and done, I won't be at all surprised about that.

Arcarsenal
Let me know when he dies.

Neo Darkhalen

Rumors are....

Alfred betrays Bruce

Thats stupid, really just stupid.

DigiMark007
Originally posted by Neo Darkhalen
Thats stupid, really just stupid.

But it makes an odd amount of sense. No else knows as much about the Bat. No one.

Erik-Lensherr
Alfred certainly is hiding something, but I think all he does is try to help Bruce.

willRules

Rumors are....

Alfred betrays Bruce

eek! I swear I guessed that in another thread!
*Begins searching threads*

EDIT: Got it!!!

Originally posted by willRules
Totally agree.

Morrison said Batman will be broken in a different way to a literal death. I'm thinking maybe all his fortune and estate lost, or all his family?

Also Morrison said the reveal of the super secret mastermind behind it all will be the biggest shock in 70 years. I reckon the only reveal that could be sooo changing to Bruce's history is that the mastermind is someone like Thomas Wayne or Alfred Pennyworth......

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by Arcarsenal
Let me know when he dies.

Gawd! I really hate your siggy.

(100% Pure Laker hater)

Zeitgeist
But it makes an odd amount of sense. No else knows as much about the Bat. No one. Nah. I'd bet that Nightwing or Oracle, maybe even Tim, are on Alfred's level. Realistically, working with him in the field and knowing the ins and outs of his gadets, back-up plans, etc. Not to mention how he responds in extreme situations.

Trivial point, though.

Neo Darkhalen
I just can't see Alfred doing that to Bruce *shrugs* we shall find out soon enough...alas the end is nigh.

WrathfulDwarf
During some interviews Didio said something about the clue lies in the R.I.P.

R could mean Robin.

I could mean Ivy.

P could mean Pennyworth.

dur

Neo Darkhalen
Or
R-Ra's al Ghul

llagrok
Originally posted by Darth Vicious
The gang of nobodies beating the crap out of Alfred it reminded me when Jarvis got the crap beaten out of him by the Masters of Evil.. Anyways, Im curious were they are going with all this and why is Bats letting his guard down with that woman. Specially since her name is Jezebel!

No offense, but that's the kind of attitude that forces writer to constantly recycle villains over and over again.

I'd much rather see Batman fight a new villain, instead of the joker no expression

WrathfulDwarf
Or
R-Ra's al Ghul

ermm

I'm just going to follow the story to see what Morrison pulls.

Here are the popular theories at this time:

"Alfred is Bruce's real father and had Thomas and Martha killed. Then he stole the fortune and turned Bruce into Batman"

"Thomas Wayne was the original Batman" (that's for the continuity nut jobs)

"Jezebel is the TRUE child of Thomas and Martha and has return to have her revenge on Alfred for having her parents killed"

My theory?

"Martha cheated on Thomas with Alfred and Bruce is a bastard child. Then R.I.P will conclude with Joker pulling a Maury Povich and say to Alfred....."YOU ARE THE FATHER"

Neo Darkhalen
How strange that for all his time the Joker won't get the last laugh, after all since they are two sides of the same coin and joker lives only to fight bats, it will be strange to see a new villain (black glove) take him down! (black glove, related to black mask by any chance?)

Erik-Lensherr
How strange that for all his time the Joker won't get the last laugh, after all since they are two sides of the same coin and joker lives only to fight bats, it will be strange to see a new villain (black glove) take him down! (black glove, related to black mask by any chance?)

IGN: The Joker has always seen Batman as his prize and his prize alone. How will the Joker react to someone trying to his "job" better than he can, as Batman points out in the DC Universe Zero scene?

Morrison: I think readers are going to enjoy seeing exactly how he reacts.

IGN: He certainly hasn't played nice with these types of groups before, so is his relationship with the Club of Villains going to be more antagonistic than anything?

Morrison: Well it's going to be more than that. Basically, when we see Joker's actual relationship with the Club of Villains, that's the moment where we unleash the character again. So it's a big moment for the Joker. I'm not going to tell you anything more than that.

Cartesian Doubt

Alfred betrays Bruce

What does that even mean ?

Cartesian Doubt
2 issues? Oh. I must've missed the first one, because I got teh new one thinking it was the first.

Anyway, I dislike minis that cover like 4 different books (Batman, Batman/Superman, Robin, Nightwing, etc.). It's a money-making scam. But I promised myself I'd splurge a bit around FC time to stay up on everything, so meh.

Seems a bit anti-climactic so far. I can't really get excited about a group of villains I've never heard of before. The story's fine and Morrison is doing fine convincing me that Bats is in real trouble, but I'm still just kinda like "eh" when I see a bunch of no-name Circus Gang rejects infiltrating the Batcave. Joker better be behind this or something.

Except the only relevant part is the Morison written Batman title. Don't read all the Crisis tie ins, just the ones written by decent writers. If its not written by Rucka, Morison, Metzler or Geoff Johns don't bother with it.

Neo Darkhalen
Originally posted by Erik-Lensherr
IGN: The Joker has always seen Batman as his prize and his prize alone. How will the Joker react to someone trying to his "job" better than he can, as Batman points out in the DC Universe Zero scene?

Morrison: I think readers are going to enjoy seeing exactly how he reacts.

IGN: He certainly hasn't played nice with these types of groups before, so is his relationship with the Club of Villains going to be more antagonistic than anything?

Morrison: Well it's going to be more than that. Basically, when we see Joker's actual relationship with the Club of Villains, that's the moment where we unleash the character again. So it's a big moment for the Joker. I'm not going to tell you anything more than that.

Awesome.

BruceSkywalker
During some interviews Didio said something about the clue lies in the R.I.P.

R could mean Robin.

I could mean Ivy.

P could mean Pennyworth.

dur

You may be right. Some of the promos that went out had I am Batman under Nightwing

willRules
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
You may be right. Some of the promos that went out had I am Batman under Nightwing

And a couple of others as well, e.g. Jason Todd, Tim Drake and Tommy Elliot....

Erik-Lensherr
Also this part of the interview ..

.. made my worries of him ruining Batman for me fade away smile

GGS
It would of been cool if Bruce could of been the spectre for awhile, But it'll never happen.

Could of shown him spend a day with his parents in the afterlife before being picked to fill the role.

DC could play it as he struggles with the thought at first cause after talking to his parents he's got his closure and doesn't want to enforce or clean up the streets anymore.

Then expand on that at him watching Nightwing and everyone settle into their new roles and life without Bruce.

Then the reveal of Bruce being the spectres new host after a few months to them like have spectre come to get some guy in Gotham and confrontation with his proteges and the reveal. Then he could come give them advice every now and again and help out rarely like Hal used to for Ollie & Kyle.

You could play it out loads of different ways like Joker going catatonic or anti-hero with bruces death then discovering Bruce is spectres new host he would start to dabble in the arcane and murder and kidknap sorcerers and magic users to get Spectres/Bruces attention maybe even team up with Elicpso for a new event.

Play once more on the Hal/Bruce love hate relationship have Bruce go to Hal for advice on how to deal with situations and the powers as it will be new to Bruce. Crispus can either be written out, become a villain somehow or give the odd bits of advice here and there too.

It would be cool for a while but obviously the fans will not bode well with it and want him back to being bats in 6 months and DC will have to follow the money.

SevenShackles
question. what do you think the jokers connection is to all this so far?

Darth Vicious
Originally posted by llagrok
No offense, but that's the kind of attitude that forces writer to constantly recycle villains over and over again.

I'd much rather see Batman fight a new villain, instead of the joker no expression

Not sure what u meant. All I said was that the scene reminded me of the scene in the Avengers way back.

As for the villains, I would like someone new that can stand up to Bats not only in skills but in mind as well. Maybe there is, I dont follow Bats as much as I would like.

Neo Darkhalen
for such a big event i think Joker should be a big part of it, it's only fair taking into account there relationship.

starlock
for such a big event i think Joker should be a big part of it, it's only fair taking into account there relationship.

He will be for sure, but is it going to be the "he is mine to kill" moment when he turns on bats enemy?

Juntai
Originally posted by Darth Vicious

As for the villains, I would like someone new that can stand up to Bats not only in skills but in mind as well. Maybe there is, I dont follow Bats as much as I would like. You mean Ras Al Ghul? Who can pretty much match Batman in skill, match Batman in resources, and match Batman in wits?

I love Joker as much as the next guy, he's one of my favorite characters, but as a longtime huge fan of Batman, Ras really is his best baddie.

Erik-Lensherr
Best as in ?

Juntai
Best as in ? Best in that he can nearly match Bruce in almost anything?
That he is probably the most interesting and capable villain in Bat's rogues gallery?
That he is the dark reflection in the mirror of Bruce himself?

Erik-Lensherr
Match Batman in nearly everything ? Considering his resources, experience and training over the centuries, yeah.

I don't find him the most interesting villain in Batman's rogue gallery, at all. Joker, written well, is by far more interesting than him. Two Face also. But then again, this is subjective.

Arcarsenal
Originally posted by Juntai
You mean Ras Al Ghul? Who can pretty much match Batman in skill, match Batman in resources, and match Batman in wits?

I love Joker as much as the next guy, he's one of my favorite characters, but as a longtime huge fan of Batman, Ras really is his best baddie.
You clearly don't love Joker as much as the next guy, liar.

Juntai
Match Batman in nearly everything ? Considering his resources, experience and training over the centuries, yeah.

I don't find him the most interesting villain in Batman's rogue gallery, at all. Joker, written well, is by far more interesting than him. Two Face also. But then again, this is subjective.
True it is subjective.

Two face is a good one too, because of his internal struggles. He rarely gets written as much more than a top level thug however.

Joker more or less most often plays the part of the monster, truly Batman pitties him more than anything because of his pyschosis, he's mentioned it several times. A bad guy shouldn't be pittied, he should command respect. His stories are great though, I love reading them.

For comparison; In one of his more recent appearances, Joker went out on the town, tied down robin in a car and started hitting people with it while cracking jokes. On the other side, Ras has Bruce trailing across the entire globe trying to stop him, fighting off the league of assassins, unraveling deeper plots, about both he and Ras' history, etc. The intricacy levels are just vastly different.

It's like comparing Doomsday and Lex as Superman villains. Doomsday certainly poses more imminent threat, like Joker to Batman, while Lex and Ras test the character to their core, and usually end up rather unscathed in the end.

Juntai
You clearly don't love Joker as much as the next guy, liar. Why do you change your screen name so much? You almost just caught a verbal beating because I didn't recognize you.

jkjk.

Oh and...Football is coming!

Arcarsenal
We're in for a long season, dude.

Juntai
We're in for a long season, dude. I know, I'm hoping we can scrape by with a couple early, and coast into our majority of home games in the second half.

Erik-Lensherr
I completly disagree with the Joker/Doomsday & Ra's al Ghul/Lex Luthor comparison but yeah .. this is pretty subjective.

That's the charm about the Joker, he doesn't need to be that powerfull when it comes to resources and such, he is more of a psihological villain. Not many writers get him, they just see him as a crazy homicidal clown. Have you read Grant Morrison's prose story ? It's one of my favorite Joker stories of all time and the characterization and his relationship with Batman is pretty much dead-on.

Ra's al Ghul is good but IMO, Joker is on another level. Is he a threat to Batman ? Sure. One of the only things I find interesting in him is his respect for Batman and wanting him to be his heir. Like you said, in a way he is pretty much an evil Batman, with a different vision and approach. But he just .. doesn't do it for me.

BruceSkywalker
Just my opinion... I've re read both Batman #676 and 677. They're both good issues. R.I.P could stand for just about anything. R could mean Ra's Al Ghul, but had his story already in the Ressurrection of Ra's Al Ghul, so I doubt he is returning this fast. R.I.P. couls also mean Robin in Progress meaning perhaps a Boy Wonder takes over. However I do have some doubts. Like for instance, A few have suggested that Bruce is not even a Wayne at all, which could be possible, but to get rid of so much history and having Grant Morrison steal the classic lines from ESB and have Alfred say to Bruce....." Bruce I am your father" doesn't quite have a ring to it yet. What will Alfred say afterward "Search your feelings, you know it to be true".

Perhaps the Black Glove is in actually Thomas Wayne who never died, but would he fake his own death and torture Bruce into the man he is today?? What would he even tell Bruce that he is alive and well at all?? As for Jezebel Jet (guess DC couldn't come up with a better name) , if she is the true Wayne, she wants the family fortune at this point in time all of a sudden?? Could R.I.P. mean Rest in Peace, as a lot of people think it means, but why kill Bruce Wayne or for some reason take him out of the Batman equation? In 2009, that marks the 70th anniversary of Batman certainly DC has to have something nice planned for the Batman comic books next year. If someone else takes upu the mantle of the Bat who in the world is that going to be. DC failed miserably 12 years ago after Ban broke Bruce's back and an unstable person took over and DC later brought back Bruce to regain his rightful place.. Also remember Batman : Prodigal when Dick Grayson temporally took over as Batman, Dick couldn't handle it. Sorry for the long post, that is all for now..

WrathfulDwarf
Just so guys know....

Ra has escape from Arkham....it happen in the recent Nightwing issue.

BruceSkywalker
Just so guys know....

Ra has escape from Arkham....it happen in the recent Nightwing issue.

I'll check out the issue

SevenShackles
hummm be interesting if it ends with joker saving batman's life by killing his not so dead father O_o "you saved me. but you killed my Pa!"

Eel O'Brian
I find Joker to be the better Batman villain. True, he's less of a duplicate of Batman than Ra's, but I think he strikes Batman deeper.

Tower of Babel, Ra's was a worldwide threat and was striking at Batman, the JLA, Bat's parents, and messing with Bat's secrets. Batman's relatively unphased, though disgruntled.

Hush, Joker "shoots" Batman's friend.

Batman nearly beats him to death.

DigiMark007
Lulz. eel O-Brian. At least you dropped the Smurph names so that I almost ban you every time you switch.

stick out tongue

jumpmann
I just re read all of Morrison's run (minus the Ra's issues...but including my first reading on that 20 minute long Joker issue lol) and it feels like everything has been building towards this. I have absolute confidence the end result will be magnificent and am just happy to go along with the ride for now.

Juntai
Originally posted by jumpmann
I just re read all of Morrison's run (minus the Ra's issues...but including my first reading on that 20 minute long Joker issue lol) and it feels like everything has been building towards this. I have absolute confidence the end result will be magnificent and am just happy to go along with the ride for now. Agreed, Morrison started off slow and has built something fantastic, typical of him. Look how long it took his JLA run to unfold, Animal Man, etc.

Juntai
Just so guys know....

Ra has escape from Arkham....it happen in the recent Nightwing issue. Sure did, and he will have his part.

Eel O'Brian
Lulz. eel O-Brian. At least you dropped the Smurph names so that I almost ban you every time you switch.

stick out tongue
To make good on the giant smilie fad until it dies....

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w81/jasonk3_2007/awesome.png

ScarletSpeed
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk12/sedatedwoman/big_smiley.gif

ScarletSpeed
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee185/ctophersmith/superhugesmilie.gif

Erik-Lensherr
If Thomas Wayne is somehow alive and plotting against Bruce or something, that would be pretty shitty.

One thing I'm certain of though is that Alfred doesn't want to harm Bruce, even if he is somehow involved in all of this.

Arcarsenal
Originally posted by Eel O'Brian
To make good on the giant smilie fad until it dies....

http://i28.tinypic.com/10emvxy.gif

Raoul
Originally posted by Eel O'Brian
I find Joker to be the better Batman villain. True, he's less of a duplicate of Batman than Ra's, but I think he strikes Batman deeper.

Tower of Babel, Ra's was a worldwide threat and was striking at Batman, the JLA, Bat's parents, and messing with Bat's secrets. Batman's relatively unphased, though disgruntled.

Hush, Joker "shoots" Batman's friend.

Batman nearly beats him to death.

spot on... i dont think any villain gets under bruce's skin the way the joker does...

Neo Darkhalen
Originally posted by Raoul
spot on... i dont think any villain gets under bruce's skin the way the joker does...

He's the yin to Batmans Yang, the ultimate symbol that Bruce is against, no one can ever hurt Bruce quite like the joker does.

BruceSkywalker
OK, I 've been working on a few possible theories regarding R.I.P. and who could take over the mantle of the bat...

1st...One possible person behind it other than Thomas Wayne could also be Jean Paul Valley..

2nd...Been thinking, perhaps Bruce Wayne does die, but not in a corporeal sense. What I mean is..We all know that Bruce Wayne is actually a persona that he puts on so the world doesn't think twice about the possibility of him and Batman being one and the same. What if Bruce fakes his own death with only a select few knowing the truth in order to defeat this Black Glove Bruce must create a new Batsuit different than the one he wears now and world will mourn the tragic loss that is Bruce Wayne, yet not realizing that this "new" Batman is in actuality the same Batman that he has always been...

3rd..Remember Batman Beyond which was about a young man named Terry who took up the mantle of the bat in the future, but was also guided by an octogenarian Bruce Wayne...Now lets take that and import someone like Jean Paul Valley who DC put in the Batsuit once before, but now will write better as the new Batman and have a retired Bruce Wayne constantly in the Batcave watching his every move and teaching him. Also feel that whoever becomes Batman must wear a brand new Batsuit, one that perhaps covers his face with new and improved weaponry..

Thanks and sorry the long post

starlock
OK, I 've been working on a few possible theories regarding R.I.P. and who could take over the mantle of the bat...

1st...One possible person behind it other than Thomas Wayne could also be Jean Paul Valley..

2nd...Been thinking, perhaps Bruce Wayne does die, but not in a corporeal sense. What I mean is..We all know that Bruce Wayne is actually a persona that he puts on so the world doesn't think twice about the possibility of him and Batman being one and the same. What if Bruce fakes his own death with only a select few knowing the truth in order to defeat this Black Glove Bruce must create a new Batsuit different than the one he wears now and world will mourn the tragic loss that is Bruce Wayne, yet not realizing that this "new" Batman is in actuality the same Batman that he has always been...

3rd..Remember Batman Beyond which was about a young man named Terry who took up the mantle of the bat in the future, but was also guided by an octogenarian Bruce Wayne...Now lets take that and import someone like Jean Paul Valley who DC put in the Batsuit once before, but now will write better as the new Batman and have a retired Bruce Wayne constantly in the Batcave watching his every move and teaching him. Also feel that whoever becomes Batman must wear a brand new Batsuit, one that perhaps covers his face with new and improved weaponry..

Thanks and sorry the long post

I dont believe bruce or batman will die, but something will happen that makes him wish he were...what that is...i dont know

I just dont see them replacing batman when the only movie version of their comics that is actually good, is the batman movies

Neo Darkhalen
A strange tale indeed.

willRules
I'm sticking with my original theory....Originally posted by willRules
Totally agree.

Morrison said Batman will be broken in a different way to a literal death. I'm thinking maybe all his fortune and estate lost, or all his family?

Also Morrison said the reveal of the super secret mastermind behind it all will be the biggest shock in 70 years. I reckon the only reveal that could be sooo changing to Bruce's history is that the mastermind is someone like Thomas Wayne or Alfred Pennyworth......

Bentley
Or Gordon.

Erik-Lensherr

Endrict Nuul
Or Superman.......shifty

But yeah, Thomas Wayne, Alfred Pennyworth and Gordon.

jumpmann
From JLA 0, last line.

http://img117.imageshack.us/img117/7537/riptb1.jpg

Not looking good for Bruce. sad

GGS
Bruceeeeeeeeeeeeee noooooooooooooooooo.

Maybe it's a Dark Knight Strikes Again type of scenario.

Entity
Dick better not become the bad guy! mad

Its bad enough they keep trying to kill him off but I'd rather him die in honor than them screw him over by ****ing with his character all together!

jumpmann
Originally posted by GGS
Bruceeeeeeeeeeeeee noooooooooooooooooo.

Maybe it's a Dark Knight Strikes Again type of scenario.
It feels like a The Dark Knight Returns scenario (Strikes Again was the crappy sequel lol). Diana "returning", crime alley setting, Bruce being "stubborn". Of course the future in the DCU changes every month so I wouldn't call this page the future but last line sticks out.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Entity
Dick better not become the bad guy! mad

Its bad enough they keep trying to kill him off but I'd rather him die in honor than them screw him over by ****ing with his character all together!

I don't see Dick turning heel

Toku King
He's the yin to Batmans Yang, the ultimate symbol that Bruce is against, no one can ever hurt Bruce quite like the Joker does.

Quoted for absolute truth.

Erik-Lensherr
With each interview and clues, I'm more and more excited about this. It was made quite clear that Bruce Wayne won't die but apparently, after this, everybody will think that he is dead.

Deathstroke
I love that this story is totally crazy.

Badabing
It's been a good read so far.

DigiMark007
Has it been more than just the last two Batman issues, or am I missing a tie-in?

Anyway, fun times.

Endrict Nuul
Has it been more than just the last two Batman issues, or am I missing a tie-in?

Anyway, fun times.

Tie-ins

Batman R.I.P. Checklist

* Batman #676-682
* Detective Comics #846-850
* Nightwing #147-150
* Robin #175-176
* Batman and the Outsiders #11-13

DigiMark007
Originally posted by Endrict Nuul
Tie-ins

Batman R.I.P. Checklist

* Batman #676-682
* Nightwing #147-150
* Robin #175-176

Thanks. I was mainly curious if any of them have come out yet other than Batman 676-678, which is all I've found so far.

Raoul
i knew i was missing something...

Erik-Lensherr
I'm pretty sure I've figured it out .. and it makes sense considering everything that has been presented so far but .. I'd rather not ruin the story for the rest smile

starlock
Originally posted by Endrict Nuul
Tie-ins

Batman R.I.P. Checklist

* Batman #676-682
* Nightwing #147-150
* Robin #175-176

Good to know, now i can drop this also wink

Raoul
I'm pretty sure I've figured it out .. and it makes sense considering everything that has been presented so far but .. I'd rather not ruin the story for the rest smile

yeah, suuuuure...

BruceSkywalker

I think I have also. Care to PM me some spoilers and we can discuss what we think..

Endrict Nuul
Yeah, I just have the Batman issues and don't a fly F about the Outsiders and Robin/Nightwing.

Erik-Lensherr
Originally posted by Raoul
yeah, suuuuure...

Heh ..

If only you knew.

I think I have also. Care to PM me some spoilers and we can discuss what we think..

I've got absolutley no problem discussing the issues, so if you want to discuss hints/scenes in these issues that have been shown so far, and what they mean, I'm willing to do it smile

But as to what I think is going on, and what is going to happen, well .. I won't reveal.

Let's just say that Grant wrote a scene that hasn't been reffered at all so far, and if you really think about it, you'll realize that scene explains one of the most proeminent symbols that have shown up in Grant Morrison's run so far, and exposes one of the main plot points.

WrathfulDwarf
I'm calling it right now. Batman R.I.P. is just another story of a villain messing with Batman's head...nothing more. I also think that at this time Morrison doesn't know who throw in the story. Batmite....friggin Batmite...then we see NEXT ISSUE: Robin vs. the Son of Batman!

Again, Morrison is shoving that awful character down our throats. Just to have him fight Tim and prove he's worthy.

lalalalala....

Endrict Nuul
I think something happens to Jezebel Jet and that has an effect Bruce some how.

DigiMark007

You two need to grow a pair and just use the KMC spoiler tag. No one's going to care if you scream "I called it!!!11le3T!!" after the fact, but we'll give props where they're due if you call it now.

stick out tongue

And yeah, Bat-Mite confused me. Isn't he on par with Mxy in terms of power?

Erik-Lensherr
I think this is one of the most well-planned run I've seen anybody have on a character so far, aswell as one of the most intriguing mystery stories. It's funny, the first one that comes to mind as reaching this level is the Animal Man one, which is also written by Morrison. smile

SevenShackles
sorry im super confused on whats going on in Batman R.I.P. last thing i know people are invadin the batcave, then suddenly bruce is a druggy who ends up in a patchwork batman outfit. wtf? please someone fill in the blanks for me or something. here. a PM. i dont care i just hate being confused lol

willRules
You two need to grow a pair and just use the KMC spoiler tag. No one's going to care if you scream "I called it!!!11le3T!!" after the fact, but we'll give props where they're due if you call it now.

stick out tongue

And yeah, Bat-Mite confused me. Isn't he on par with Mxy in terms of power?

That's Mod speak for I WANT TO HEAR YOUR THEORY!!!!!

WrathfulDwarf
This blog will bring some light for ya guys:

http://planetzor.blogspot.com/2007/10/batman-of-zur-en-arrh.html

After reading the blog you can see where this might be going and how this ties in with the previous Crisis. Either Morrison combines all aspects into the story into a nice little wrap package or he might make a mess of things. Let's see how this goes.

Erik-Lensherr
So after Final Crisis: Requiem, two things are clear:

Bruce Wayne is still Batman after the events of RIP.

Alfred is not the villain

jumpmann
Just speculating on the mystery returning character.

I hope Azreal isn't the big character "you never thought you'd see again".

Been hearing his name lately and saw him on Rip Hunter's chalk board.

willRules
That's a candidate I never considered DARN!!! I was convinced it'd be Alfred

-K-M-
So after Final Crisis: Requiem, two things are clear:

Bruce Wayne is still Batman after the events of RIP.

Alfred is not the villain

In Requiem we saw classic Aquaman at the funeral for no odd reason. I wouldn't use that as proof just yet.

jumpmann
Requiem/FC could take place before RIP too. Wouldn't place much stock in it.

-K-M-
Also is Ice back yet? I know she is going to appear soon in Green Lantern Corps, but she was in Requiem

Raoul
Originally posted by -K-M-
Also is Ice back yet? I know she is going to appear soon in Green Lantern Corps, but she was in Requiem

she was already in glc, guy tried to get back together with her... it was the sinestro corps issue after gl 25...

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by jumpmann
Just speculating on the mystery returning character.

I hope Azreal isn't the big character "you never thought you'd see again".

Been hearing his name lately and saw him on Rip Hunter's chalk board.

I hope so. I liked him. Good character that was written badly.

Blind
Okay, everybody read "the Heart of Hush?" That is looking to be pretty interesting. Although Dini said it ends before Morrison's Batman.

Hush knows a lot about Bats, and it's possible that he's been leaking some info to the Black Glove, kind of how he did with Black Mask, giving them just enough info to get Batman where he wants him when he's ready to strike.

Alfred being the one who betrays Bruce would really piss me off. That is a load of crap. I don't think it will happen, and if it does, I am dropping Batman until Morrison stops writing it. If it ends up being Thomas Wayne, then I'm dropping it, too. That's a load of crap. Thomas and Martha Wayne should remain dead, they should remain dead, good people in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I think tainting the Wayne family name is all part of the Black Glove's plan to push Bruce a little farther to the edge.

By the way, the way, one more thing: Batman is not going to be Bruce Wayne (or vice versa?) when this is over. Dini said in an interview (check out his blog: kingofbreakfast.livejournal.com for the link) that Hush may actually be the guy who takes over as Batman. I doubt that will happen. In "Batman and Son" trade paperback, the last "issue" has Damien as Batman, and he makes the comment about being the Batman, like his father and DICK GRAYSON. So I think that's a pretty solid hint about who will take up the pointy eared mask.

willRules
Originally posted by Blind
Okay, everybody read "the Heart of Hush?" That is looking to be pretty interesting. Although Dini said it ends before Morrison's Batman.

Hush knows a lot about Bats, and it's possible that he's been leaking some info to the Black Glove, kind of how he did with Black Mask, giving them just enough info to get Batman where he wants him when he's ready to strike.

Alfred being the one who betrays Bruce would really piss me off. That is a load of crap. I don't think it will happen, and if it does, I am dropping Batman until Morrison stops writing it. If it ends up being Thomas Wayne, then I'm dropping it, too. That's a load of crap. Thomas and Martha Wayne should remain dead, they should remain dead, good people in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I think tainting the Wayne family name is all part of the Black Glove's plan to push Bruce a little farther to the edge.

By the way, the way, one more thing: Batman is not going to be Bruce Wayne (or vice versa?) when this is over. Dini said in an interview (check out his blog: kingofbreakfast.livejournal.com for the link) that Hush may actually be the guy who takes over as Batman. I doubt that will happen. In "Batman and Son" trade paperback, the last "issue" has Damien as Batman, and he makes the comment about being the Batman, like his father and DICK GRAYSON. So I think that's a pretty solid hint about who will take up the pointy eared mask.

IMO Tommy Elliot, Damien, heck even Tim doesn't deserve the mantle of the Bat. IMO Bruce should stay Batman, but I always saw Dick as the rightful heir to the Bat throne yes

Juntai
In "Batman and Son" trade paperback, the last "issue" has Damien as Batman, and he makes the comment about being the Batman, like his father and DICK GRAYSON. So I think that's a pretty solid hint about who will take up the pointy eared mask. However, in the Teen Titans issues with the Titans of Tomorrow, Tim took over as Batman in the future.

willRules
I don't think anyone will replace Bruce, but the character will clearly be redefined in some way post RIP.

BruceSkywalker
IMO Tommy Elliot, Damien, heck even Tim doesn't deserve the mantle of the Bat. IMO Bruce should stay Batman, but I always saw Dick as the rightful heir to the Bat throne yes

So have I. I've always seen Dick as Bruce's successor, but in Batman : Prodigal, the look and feel of Dick as Batman didn't sit right and also I Dick realized he is his own man as Nightwing

Blind
However, in the Teen Titans issues with the Titans of Tomorrow, Tim took over as Batman in the future.

Yes, but is Grant Morrison writing Teen Titans?

No.

No he is not.

And personally, I think he's too arrogant to take into account someone else's book and their alternate future. Plus, in those Teen Titans, it doesn't necessarily say anything about Dick did it? nope. He could have been Batman first... Luthor just gave Tim the tools to become the Bat. So it's more than likely going to be Dick over Tim - at least in Morrison's books.

GGS
'I think tainting the Wayne family name is all part of the Black Glove's plan to push Bruce a little farther to the edge'

Exacalty i've been reading it over again like cause i was bored after watching TDK. I think it's metaphorically going to be a tarnishing and nothing else.

Alfred or Thomas Wayne purleaseeeeeeeeee DC aren't willing to go bankrupt again are they??? I'm all for trying new ways of developing a story and developing characters but to literally have a huge WTF!! moment that defies even comic logic is asking for trouble. This is Alfred Pennyworth we're talking about here not some two bit chump.

Juntai
Yes, but is Grant Morrison writing Teen Titans?

No.

No he is not.

And personally, I think he's too arrogant to take into account someone else's book and their alternate future. Plus, in those Teen Titans, it doesn't necessarily say anything about Dick did it? nope. He could have been Batman first... Luthor just gave Tim the tools to become the Bat. So it's more than likely going to be Dick over Tim - at least in Morrison's books. I was just pointing it out.

Juntai
Originally posted by GGS
'I think tainting the Wayne family name is all part of the Black Glove's plan to push Bruce a little farther to the edge'

Exacalty i've been reading it over again like cause i was bored after watching TDK. I think it's metaphorically going to be a tarnishing and nothing else.

Alfred or Thomas Wayne purleaseeeeeeeeee DC aren't willing to go bankrupt again are they??? I'm all for trying new ways of developing a story and developing characters but to literally have a huge WTF!! moment that defies even comic logic is asking for trouble. This is Alfred Pennyworth we're talking about here not some two bit chump. I didn't even have to think about that, I figured that from the moment it happened.
I think most people did, regardless of some of the replies..
It's more of a WHAT IF.

WrathfulDwarf
Batman: Battle for the Cowl.

Hush, Tim, Dick and...Selina?

willRules
Originally posted by GGS
Alfred or Thomas Wayne purleaseeeeeeeeee DC aren't willing to go bankrupt again are they??? I'm all for trying new ways of developing a story and developing characters but to literally have a huge WTF!! moment that defies even comic logic is asking for trouble. This is Alfred Pennyworth we're talking about here not some two bit chump.

Well Morrison said it would be one of the biggest shocks in 70 years of Bat history. If he's living up to the hype either of those two would fit the bill...

Erik-Lensherr
http://www.newsarama.com/common/media/video_sdcc.php?videoRef=NA_080722_mike_marts

droolio

BruceSkywalker
http://www.newsarama.com/common/media/video_sdcc.php?videoRef=NA_080722_mike_marts

droolio

Interesting.. Here's a question Is The Black Glove actually Darkseid in disguise

Erik-Lensherr
No.

Juntai
Oooh.
Neil Gaiman to write Batman coming soon?

Whatever happened to the Caped Crusader.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/080727-dc-nation-2.html

Erik-Lensherr
Oooh.
Neil Gaiman to write Batman coming soon?

Whatever happened to the Caped Crusader.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/080727-dc-nation-2.html

*cough*

droolio

stick out tongue

tjcoady
Interesting.. Here's a question Is The Black Glove actually Darkseid in disguise

that's a terrible idea.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by tjcoady
that's a terrible idea.

Yes it is

willRules
http://uk.comics.ign.com/articles/894/894118p1.html

Nice pic....

BruceSkywalker
http://uk.comics.ign.com/articles/894/894118p1.html

Nice pic....

Yes it is

nimbus006

Why or How would/could it be Alfred that betrays Bruce if he's getting tortured by the Glove inside the Batcave?

Alfred is a staple in DC, and one, if not the, only person Batman really trusts. I honestly don't believe they would take this storyline that far. In regards to it being Thomas Wayne, again, I don't think DC would do such a dumb thing.

It's seems pretty straight forward to me. Instead of using physical force, the BG is tarnishing Bruce's name by destroying his family reputation and making him look like a junkie, plain and simple. Obviously, there's going to be several twists later on, but let's just wait and see.

willRules
Originally posted by nimbus006
Why or How would/could it be Alfred that betrays Bruce if he's getting tortured by the Glove inside the Batcave?

Alfred is a staple in DC, and one, if not the, only person Batman really trusts. I honestly don't believe they would take this storyline that far. In regards to it being Thomas Wayne, again, I don't think DC would do such a dumb thing.

It's seems pretty straight forward to me. Instead of using physical force, the BG is tarnishing Bruce's name by destroying his family reputation and making him look like a junkie, plain and simple. Obviously, there's going to be several twists later on, but let's just wait and see.

Totally agree with you on R.I.P being the tarnishing of Batsy's reputation. However Morrison said one of the twists would be the most shocking reveal in 70 years of Bat history. Like you said Alfred is one of the few people Bruce trusts. I'm probably completely wrong but there are very few candidates who could serve to be such a shocking evil Mastermind.....

Blind
I think everybody is forgetting that Grant Morrison is also the guy who made Damien Batman's son. He doesn't really give too much thought as to what the fans think. Would he go so far as to turn Alfred or bring back Thomas Wayne? I wouldn't put it past him. I also wouldn't put DC past trying to hire Ed Brubaker back for the retcon.

In fact... I'd really like to see Brubaker write it anyway lol.

But back to reality, in place of that little fantasy, I don't think I'm going to be too surprised to see whatever it is that happens. Again, I'm more interested in seeing how Bruce gets the mask and cape back on.

Neo Darkhalen
Originally posted by nimbus006

I'll go mad if it's Alfred that would just be awful....same if they brought his dad back from the death, this whole gimmicky tale has been rather lackluster.

Philosophía
http://www.newsarama.com/php/multimedia/album.php?aid=20624

Batman: Am I nuts or did this these things just talk
Bat-mite: You ? Oh, you're totally sane!

crylaugh

Blair Wind
the heck is that in the purple costume?

BruceSkywalker

jumpmann
Morrison's solits make me angry sometimes.

Not that I really cared after I finished this issue...it was amazing start to finish.

DigiMark007
GM enjoys being cryptic and confusing a bit too much. Things are starting to congeal into a coherent story, but that doesn't wipe the bitter taste from my mouth from the first few issues when I was utterly mystified as to what was going on.

WrathfulDwarf
Another issue that requires The Joker appearance to make it interesting....

willRules
GM enjoys being cryptic and confusing a bit too much. Things are starting to congeal into a coherent story, but that doesn't wipe the bitter taste from my mouth from the first few issues when I was utterly mystified as to what was going on.

confused

no expression You're not supposed to eat the comic.

jumpmann
http://a3.vox.com/6a00cd9708535d4cd500d41436b4ab685e-500pi

Neo Darkhalen

Agreed.

starlock

Wait...so one panel of the joker...made the issue interesting.....you must be easy to please stick out tongue

I am disappointed so far with the whole arch.... sad

Philosophía
Another excellent issue.

The part where it revealed what the Batman of Zur-en-arrh actually is caught me by surprise. They don't call him prep-god for nothing smile

Deathstroke
I'm loving this story. He should just stay as the Batman of Zurr-en-arrh.

Neo Darkhalen
I have not been a fan of this arch, i have not been a fan of the concept.

willRules
Could someone spoil this issue for me please. I'm buying this storyline in a few months when it's cheaper. big grin

Remember to use spoiler tags for those who don't want to know. yes

DigiMark007
Batman's bat-sh*t crazy, more hardcore violent than ever, and dressed in purple. He talks with inanimate objects and a (presumably fake) Bat-Mite. It's Bruce's repressed alter-ego in case someone ever attacks him psychologically. Black Hand takes over Arkham at the end and tell Joker that Batman is coming.

Symmetric Chaos
holyfukinshit!

willRules
Batman's bat-sh*t crazy, more hardcore violent than ever, and dressed in purple. He talks with inanimate objects and a (presumably fake) Bat-Mite. It's Bruce's repressed alter-ego in case someone ever attacks him psychologically. Black Hand takes over Arkham at the end and tell Joker that Batman is coming.

Cheers big grin

Bardock42
Think I'll be waiting for the collection of that. Is it worth it so far?

DigiMark007
Originally posted by Bardock42
Think I'll be waiting for the collection of that. Is it worth it so far?

Depends on who you talk to. To some, it's a brilliantly offbeat Batman story that delves deeper into the character than many similar story arcs. To others, it's a needlessly cryptic Morrison "look how clever I am" wank-fest. To most, it's a little of both.

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by starlock
Wait...so one panel of the joker...made the issue interesting.....you must be easy to please stick out tongue

I am disappointed so far with the whole arch.... sad

The Joker is the only reason why I've stuck with this arch. I don't find Black Glove and his League of Villains anything interesting. The whole Jezebel Jet romance looks phoney and unconvinicing. Even worse Morrison continues to shove that atricious Damian into this arch...it's just laughable.

I will give Dan and Morrison props for the overhype of this R.I.P. aside from all that...there is not much.

Blind
Again... won't be surprised at all. I do like, whoever it was that said it, that this is Morrison's wank fest. Kind of made me laugh out loud. Which was a little awkward as I was reading it at work...

Anyway, totally not digging the Zurrenla or whatever thing. Purple suit? Come on...

Bardock42
Depends on who you talk to. To some, it's a brilliantly offbeat Batman story that delves deeper into the character than many similar story arcs. To others, it's a needlessly cryptic Morrison "look how clever I am" wank-fest. To most, it's a little of both.

What do you think?

Philosophía

totally not digging the Zurrenla or whatever thing.

crylaugh

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>