Hurricane Season 2008

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

fini
Yes folks its time for Hurricanes again.

While the Atlantic Hurricane Season does start on June 1st, we already have the first Storm .

Hitting Belize in Central America right now is Tropical Storm Arthur, with Max sustained winds at 40mph.

Predictions expect above average activity this year.... but remains to be seen, taking La Nina and Sahara dust clouds into consideration.

Names of Storms and Hurricanes this year will be
Arthur
Bertha
Cristobal
Dolly
Edouard
Fay
Gustav
Hanna
Ike
Josephine
Kyle
Laura
Marco
Nana
Omar
Paloma
Rene
Sally
Teddy
Vicky
Wilfred

lord xyz
Looks like Bush can go on another vacation.

fini
you mean he's at work now?

Bicnarok

fini
Hmmm well Europe has DRY continental air, this is the worst type of areas for Hurricanes, hence why they die down really quickly when they pass over land, their fuel source gets cut. But you are right, places like the UK, Spain, Portugal could get hit by a wayward storm one of these years.

superr
Hurricanes that track all the way off the US east coast,can continue accross the north atlantic to affect wetern Europe. However as the ocean is not so warm this far north ,they cannot be at full strenth, but still give considerable wind and rain> At this stage they are not easily distinguishable from vigorous North Atlantic lows which are frequent in fall and winter.

Symmetric Chaos

red g jacks

botankus
Originally posted by red g jacks
everywhere you go theres some bullshit to deal with. i dont mind living in florida cause for the most part its the shit and our buildings are mostly built up to resist hurricanes so out of the 3 i've been through in the past couple years it hasnt amounted to much more than broken down trees and a black out for a week or so. yea it's annoying but just look at it like camping except with marshall law. if i lived in cali it'd just be earthquakes instead.. or up north it'd be blizzards

Pretty much. I was trying to think of a place in the US where there weren't any natural disasters.

Southeast: Hurricanes, tornadoes, extreme heat, wildfires
Northeast: Blizzards, ice storms
Midwest: Tornadoes, boredom
Tennessee Valley: Tornadoes
Upper midwest: Blizzards, freezes
Texas: Floods, tornadoes
California/West: Earthquakes, wildfires, landslides
Rocky Mountains: Blizzards
Hawaii: Earthquakes, hurricanes
Alaska: take a guess

Maybe Nevada or Oregon is immune to these natural disasters. Or do they have earthquakes there?

Bicnarok
Originally posted by botankus
Pretty much. I was trying to think of a place in the US where there weren't any natural disasters.

Maybe Nevada or Oregon is immune to these natural disasters. Or do they have earthquakes there?

You forget to mention "getting shot by some nut case", which also seems to happen a lot in the USA.

Quite an eventfull place to live then, the US.

botankus
Originally posted by Bicnarok
You forget to mention "getting shot by some nut case", which also seems to happen a lot in the USA.

Quite an eventfull place to live then, the US.
I also forgot horse-back riding in reverse.

Shakyamunison

I live in Oregon. We have volcanoes, and the threat of subduction zone earth quakes (9 or better). sad

miss_swann

lol, midwest? what states is that?

BruceSkywalker
Those of you that live in hurricane areas, PROTECT YOURSELF..

botankus
Originally posted by miss_swann

Missouri & everything around it.

McLovin
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
Those of you that live in hurricane areas, PROTECT YOURSELF..

I always wear a condom.

Impediment
I live right on the Gulf of Mexico in East Texas. I can only hope that shit doesn't happen this year.

Selphie
Originally posted by miss_swann

Nebraska(where I'm from), Missouri, Kansas, Illinois, Iowa, etc

EDIT: Tornadoes, AND recent floodings. Midwest also has huge Meth lab issues. As well as suicide rates. No Coast Hardcore.

En Sabah Nur X
Well, If a butterfly can cause a tornado, imagine what a man can do. I'm a FAN of hurricanes, thankfully not of nukes, at least not yet. Though that is all metaphorically speaking you know. wink

GCG
Concrete buildings withstand hurricanes better than wood. Is concrete more expensive on that side of the Atlantic ?

The Highlord
Correct me if im wrong.

I've seen alot of documentaries on tv over the years and one thing that puzzels me is how alot of americans build their houses, what it looks to me when I see pictures and videos of the ruined houses people live in is that the houses are soooo poorly build that you should think it was build as a part time job of a 10 year old.

The houses seem so extremly fargile, there seems to be litterly no concrete in the building, just wood, maybe the ground has some concrete but I've seen those pictures after a toranto has visited some town and its all just wood, wood and wood ruins.

Why is that? am I missing something? cause it sure seems no better build then the tree houses me and my friends build when we were little kids...

And as GCG says, you need to build proper houses, around here where I live we build our houses from the ground up with concrete, the walls have 10 to 15 inch thick concrete reenforced with steel bars over the entire house. and then there is also like the wood on the outer side making the walls strong as they should. Not a single house has been raised to the ground in the last century as far as I know. granted we don't have torantos here, but we do have storms up here ranging from 40-80 mph in the harsh winters.

botankus
Originally posted by The Highlord

Well, if it makes you feel better the trend is shifting from vinyl siding to brick/rock.

Selphie
Some people don't care about how strong their house will be, they just want it to look lovely..... which of course, is very stupid. But they'll do what they want, because they just can.

Kinneary
Originally posted by The Highlord
Correct me if im wrong.

I've seen alot of documentaries on tv over the years and one thing that puzzels me is how alot of americans build their houses, what it looks to me when I see pictures and videos of the ruined houses people live in is that the houses are soooo poorly build that you should think it was build as a part time job of a 10 year old.

The houses seem so extremly fargile, there seems to be litterly no concrete in the building, just wood, maybe the ground has some concrete but I've seen those pictures after a toranto has visited some town and its all just wood, wood and wood ruins.

Why is that? am I missing something? cause it sure seems no better build then the tree houses me and my friends build when we were little kids...

And as GCG says, you need to build proper houses, around here where I live we build our houses from the ground up with concrete, the walls have 10 to 15 inch thick concrete reenforced with steel bars over the entire house. and then there is also like the wood on the outer side making the walls strong as they should. Not a single house has been raised to the ground in the last century as far as I know. granted we don't have torantos here, but we do have storms up here ranging from 40-80 mph in the harsh winters.
Beach houses are usually made out of wood, but aside from that and people who live in very rural areas, I don't see wooden houses. What documentaries are you watching?

The Highlord
Just random stuff I've seen about hurricanes on National Geographic and Discovery along with some CNN and BBC reports.

Everytime I see some hurricane/tornato destruction video I see only those wooden houses completly leveled to the ground...

Just dosen't give the impression that most americans know anything about the areas they live in and how to build a proper house...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.