What Would you do if you Found an I-Pod Touch?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

CaptainStoic
I found an I-Pod Touch a couple of days ago, and felt really bad about it, I would turn it in to the Police, but i feel like they would just toss it into the lost and found, and in a couple months when no one claimed it, just keep it, or just straight out keep it for themselves.... what would you do? Keep in mind I did not steal the I-Pod, I found it should it be a case of finders keepers?

Symmetric Chaos
If you want to be altruistic advertise that it was found and require anyone wanting to claim it to give the serial number.

chithappens
Keep it.

If you lose it, you didn't give a damn about it apparently.

What's the problem?

chithappens
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
If you want to be altruistic advertise that it was found and require anyone wanting to claim it to give the serial number.

Come on man. Who keeps the box? laughing

I have an IPOD but if you asked me for the serial number I would be clueless.

CaptainStoic

What would you do though? Everyone that I've asked today (about 4 people) said to keep it, I'll wait to hear what others say before making a decision. Truthfully though I wanted to keep it I won't even lie, even though I feel deep down that it's wrong to do so.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by chithappens
Come on man. Who keeps the box? laughing

I have an IPOD but if you asked me for the serial number I would be clueless.

I've been told it can be found on your iTunes account once the iPod has been used.

Phucked Up
I'd list it as found and wait for someone to come forward, telling you the content on the device, like pictures or a certain video they might have on it.

chithappens
I've been told it can be found on your iTunes account once the iPod has been used.

I don't know how reliable that is. You could see if they IPOD syncs up with that person's computer, but that's about it.

Apple made it where it can only sync up with one PC at a time (that's why file transfers from PC to PC are impossible on an IPOD).

Devil King
Originally posted by CaptainStoic
I found an I-Pod Touch a couple of days ago, and felt really bad about it, I would turn it in to the Police, but i feel like they would just toss it into the lost and found, and in a couple months when no one claimed it, just keep it, or just straight out keep it for themselves.... what would you do? Keep in mind I did not steal the I-Pod, I found it should it be a case of finders keepers?

About a year ago I found a wallet outside the recycling post at the top of the hill on Market street, just outside the castro. It was full of cash and credit cards. I seriously considered spending the cash and tossing out the credit cards and wallet. But, on the very same night, I found myself locked out of my apartment. So I turned it in to a cop and let him deal with the possibility of karma.

DigiMark007
A lot of police stations have a policy where if something isn't claimed in a certain time period, it returns to the person that found it.

So you can probably be altruistic and potentially selfish at the same time.

chithappens
Seriously, why would he feel guilty if he found it?

If you find $100 on the ground, do you start asking passerbys if they dropped some money?

I'm not trying to be an ass, but the possibility of finding the real owner is next to nil so why give yourself a hard time about it?

Devil King
Originally posted by DigiMark007
A lot of police stations have a policy where if something isn't claimed in a certain time period, it returns to the person that found it.

Well, there was more to the story. According to the credentials
I found in the wallet, the person was not an American citizen. He was Australian. While he might not have gotten his billfold back, completely intact, my karma was. I didn't screw him over and the fact that I found the wallet outside a popular recycling site before it had been found by a homeless person who would have taken the money and possibly used the credit cards for malicious purposes, actually spoke to me. And if I'd lost my wallet, which I have more than once, I'd hope the person who found it would opperate under the same pretense. I even called the credit card company on my roomates cell phone, hoping to connect with him directly. But it was of little use. I never heard from him. So, eventually I turned it in. All while standing outside my own apartment and running up my room mate's bill. Hey, it gave me something to do.

Strangelove
If there was a real way of getting it back to the owner, then yeah, I'd try. Otherwise I'd keep it.

DigiMark007
Originally posted by Devil King
Well, there was more to the story. According to the credentials
I found in the wallet, the person was not an American citizen. He was Australian. While he might not have gotten his billfold back, completely intact, my karma was. I didn't screw him over and the fact that I found the wallet outside a popular recycling site before it had been found by a homeless person who would have taken the money and possibly used the credit cards for malicious purposes, actually spoke to me. And if I'd lost my wallet, which I have more than once, I'd hope the person who found it would opperate under the same pretense. I even called the credit card company on my roomates cell phone, hoping to connect with him directly. But it was of little use. I never heard from him. So, eventually I turned it in. All while standing outside my own apartment and running up my room mate's bill. Hey, it gave me something to do.

The hell? What story? You didn't even make the thread. so...uh...lulz?

Anyway, my point stands. Most police stations will give it back to you if it isn't claimed.

Devil King
The hell? What story? You didn't even make the thread. so...uh...lulz?

Anyway, my point stands. Most police stations will give it back to you if it isn't claimed.

I wasn't saying there was a story, or a controversy. I'm just saying that doing the right thing is doing the right thing, regardless of the actual outcome. I haven't made 99.9% of the threads here, as the typical response to my threads is for it to sink to the bottom of the forum. All I was addressing was doing what was "right". I never entered my name in regards to some sort of reprisal to my actions, I wasn't interested in getting his money, I was simply interested in this guy getting his property back; as well as understanding that international travel becomes a pain when one is deprived of his personal credentials.

CaptainStoic
The first thing I did when I found the Ipod Touch was to call up Apple to see whether or not I could unlock it ( it is locked). The lady on the other end told me that yes I could unlock it, but I would lose all of the music and the profile on the device, and that all I need do was log onto I-tunes to do so (Yes I had every intention of keeping it) She said that it would reset it to it's original factory condition, and that the password would be reset (Making it mine).

I guess I'll be doing the right thing, because the device retails at 300$ US, and I can imagine how upset the person is at finding out about losing it.

Devil King
How lovely to admit that prize wins out over virtue. Do what you can to find the actual owner; otherwise it's yours. I've been accosted by drunks on the BART, but I'd hope you would defer to the needs of others.

DigiMark007
Originally posted by Devil King
I wasn't saying there was a story, or a controversy. I'm just saying that doing the right thing is doing the right thing, regardless of the actual outcome. I haven't made 99.9% of the threads here, as the typical response to my threads is for it to sink to the bottom of the forum. All I was addressing was doing what was "right". I never entered my name in regards to some sort of reprisal to my actions, I wasn't interested in getting his money, I was simply interested in this guy getting his property back; as well as understanding that international travel becomes a pain when one is deprived of his personal credentials.

np. I was just confused. You made it sound like you were personally involved in his story.

King Kandy
My friend found a perfectly good MP3 player on the ground. He kept it. Just though this was interesting since like the same thing happened.

allofyousuckkk
odds are you wont find the person and they wont go to the police looking for it, and theyre already over the "**** i lost my ipod" feeling.

keep it

dadudemon
You should put up a piece of paper or two around the area you found it. If you found it at a club, start there.

If you found it at a store, start there.

etc. etc...

The real owner should be able to unlock it, right?

And why does DK get to use anecdotes left and right but when I do it, he throws it out as unbelievable? (Despite his being more over-the-top.) I guess it doesn't really matter. DK needs stuff to complain about.

Blax_Hydralisk
Because you're black.

Quiero Mota

You might as well keep it or pawn it. If you call the police and say "I'd like to report a missing i-pod.", they're just gonna laugh at you.

red g jacks
keep it

i scammed bestbuy out of a 60 gig for 70 bucks

its on them if they're stupid enough to lose it

ScarletSpeed
I found an I-Pod Touch a couple of days ago, and felt really bad about it, I would turn it in to the Police, but i feel like they would just toss it into the lost and found, and in a couple months when no one claimed it, just keep it, or just straight out keep it for themselves.... what would you do? Keep in mind I did not steal the I-Pod, I found it should it be a case of finders keepers? Keep it,

I would.

big gay kirk
In the UKL the answer would be simple... hand it in to the police.. they will take your name and address, and if the item is not claimed within 4 weeks, title passes to the finder, and the Police hand it over to you.. if the owner does claim it, and money is more important to you than right or wrong, you are legally entitled to a finders fee of not less than 16% of the value of the item.. alternatively you can keep the item.. you then become guilty of the crime of "Stealing-by-finding" which can carry a sentence of one year in prison... basicaly put, its not yours... you have no title as we say over here, and you should hand it in...

ragesRemorse
I would keep it and use it as my own for about a month. If i did not hear or see any type of postings about a lost ipod touch i would then sell it because i already have one. I would be more than willing to help out the person that lost the ipod in returning it. I would not actively pursue finding the owner though. Not only would it invite many false claims it could evolve into a headache, battling over someone who claims the ipod is theirs but really isn't.

Now, if the ipod had some pictures, that is a different story. If there were infact personal pictures in the ipod, i might attempt paying for a post in the local paper.

Bicnarok

This is the best option imo.

cool

clarie56
If there was a way of getting it back to the owner, then I would return it. Otherwise I would keep it.

Silent Guardian
http://i38.tinypic.com/juegm0.gif

Kelly_Bean
I'd sell it and keep the money.

kitkateternal
Me love the Ipod.. My pocket love the ipod..

Prabhodh
Originally posted by Silent Guardian
http://i38.tinypic.com/juegm0.gif

laughing What the hell does that have to do with the thread?

And I would just keep it. I killed my inner voice a while ago.

Darth Macabre
Keep it. But, then again, even I would admit that I should not be the go-to guy on morality issues.

Jack Daniels
I think he should drink on it fer awhile and then decide

cyrex_motem
Connect it to the pc(or mac) and see what the person named hior her ipod and then look him up. if that dont work sell it and keep the cash

Grand-Moff-Gav
Originally posted by dadudemon
And why does DK get to use anecdotes left and right but when I do it, he throws it out as unbelievable? (Despite his being more over-the-top.) I guess it doesn't really matter. DK needs stuff to complain about.

Because he is a dick?

idowhatiamtold
i would keep it cuz who would be that irresponsible to lose it like that

Bardock42
Originally posted by Grand-Moff-Gav
Because he is a dick?

Nah, different type of anecdotes. DDM used to use them to prove his point in an unrelated debate, DK illustrated what he'd done in a similar situation after being asked for advice.

DDM:
Some story -> DDM's anectdote -> Therefore DDMs point is absolutely true (in his mind)

DK:
Advice question -> DK's anecdote -> Therefore DK would do that in such a situation and advises to do the same.

Seems obvious, too.

Robtard
Originally posted by idowhatiamtold
i would keep it cuz who would be that irresponsible to lose it like that

Lose it like losing it?

Toku King
Originally posted by Stoic

I'd do my best to return it. If I can't, then I'd leave it and hope that the owner would return for it.

WhoopeeDee
Originally posted by Stoic

Not too long ago I found an iPhone that was left behind in restaurant. I gave it back to the cashier and the girl pick it up. She thank me.

Don't keep it...I would flay alive anyone trying to steal my iPod nano.

(or maybe just kick'em in the pants mmm)

occultdestroyer
I'd keep it, frankly.

SnakeEyes
I'd keep it, straight up. Delete whatever they had on it and put my good music on it.

Final Blaxican
I left my Ipod Nano on the bus last year and some ******* kid probably found it. Either way, I never got it back.

**** it. I'd keep it for sure if I found one.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.