Fields of Study

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

nimbus006
Identify/list the specific field of science/academia each of these characters is most proficient in:

Bruce Wayne
Michael Holt
Lex Luthor
Nathaniel Essex
Victor Von Doom
Reed Richards
Tony Stark
Hank Pym
En Sabah Nur
Eric Magnus
Charles Xavier
Ray Palmer
Otto Octavius

manjaro
Bruce Wayne--Biological sciences, with emphasis on forensics
Michael Holt-Astro, theoretical Physics
Lex Luthor--All branches of science, emphasis on mechanical enigeering
Nathaniel Essex--Genetics(Duh)
Victor Von Doom--All branches of science
Reed Richards-All branches of science, emphasis on astro phyics
Tony Stark--mechanical/electrical egineering
Hank Pym--Bio Chemistry
En Sabah Nur--no one specialty, but still ahead of most contemporaries in all major sciences

Eric Magnus--same as above..with a little robotics, and genetic engineering

Charles Xavier--genetics
Ray Palmer--physics...molecular physics
Otto Octavius--nuclear physics

boom did all that off the top of my head

nimbus006
Originally posted by manjaro
Bruce Wayne--Biological sciences, with emphasis on forensics
Michael Holt-Astro, theoretical Physics
Lex Luthor--All branches of science, emphasis on mechanical enigeering
Nathaniel Essex--Genetics(Duh)
Victor Von Doom--All branches of science
Reed Richards-All branches of science, emphasis on astro phyics
Tony Stark--mechanical/electrical egineering
Hank Pym--Bio Chemistry
En Sabah Nur--no one specialty, but still ahead of most contemporaries in all major sciences

Eric Magnus--same as above..with a little robotics, and genetic engineering

Charles Xavier--genetics
Ray Palmer--physics...molecular physics
Otto Octavius--nuclear physics

boom did all that off the top of my head

Very nice Manjaro... thanx

Wouldn't Apoc's studies/focus have an emphasis on mutant genetic tampering, and bio-chemistry?

Galan007
Originally posted by nimbus006
Identify/list the specific field of science/academia each of these characters is most proficient in:

Tony Stark Tony graduated with an advanced degree in physics and engineering at 21. He further developed his knowledge ranging from Artificial Intelligence to Quantum Mechanics, as the years went on.

I can only say that for sure, because it was confirmed in a comic. stick out tongue

TricksterPriest
Very nice Manjaro... thanx

Wouldn't Apoc's studies/focus have an emphasis on mutant genetic tampering, and bio-chemistry?

More like genetic engineering and evolution. With bio-chemistry and some sociology and psychology for good measure.

Though, you could say Celestial tech is one of his studies, given how advanced it is.

Manjaro's description is pretty good. thumb up I'd personally consider him the foremost expert on T-O and mutant genetics. Ahead of Sinister btw, since he not only created Sinister, but he taught him almost everything he knows.

nimbus006
Originally posted by Galan007
Tony graduated with an advanced degree in physics and engineering at 21. He further developed his knowledge ranging from Artificial Intelligence to Quantum Mechanics, as the years went on.

I can only say that for sure, because it was confirmed in a comic. stick out tongue

thumb up I find the academic/scientific knowledge of hereos/villains to be one of the most intriguing facets of comics. Especially, in areas such as quantum mechanics, particle, molecular, and astro physics.

nimbus006
Originally posted by TricksterPriest
More like genetic engineering and evolution. With bio-chemistry and some sociology and psychology for good measure.

Though, you could say Celestial tech is one of his studies, given how advanced it is.

Manjaro's description is pretty good. thumb up I'd personally consider him the foremost expert on T-O and mutant genetics. Ahead of Sinister btw, since he not only created Sinister, but he taught him almost everything he knows.

Yes, genetic engineering/evolution does sound more like his field of study.

Bentley
I don't know, but did they work more on the specific scientific parts of characters in the Ultimate Universe?

nimbus006
The only Ultimate Universe series I've read consistently is F4, and they did seem to delve into Reed's studies (such as when he was younger, and him in the lab) a little more than the 616 Universe.

Galan007
thumb up I find the academic/scientific knowledge of hereos/villains to be one of the most intriguing facets of comics. Especially, in areas such as quantum mechanics, particle, molecular, and astro physics. It adds a further degree of depth to a character, and 9 times out of 10, more depth is a good thing. Good examples of furthering character depth might be when Tony headed up the registration act, or when he became the director of SHIELD, .

Zeitgeist
It adds a further degree of depth to a character, and 9 times out of 10, more depth is a good thing. Good examples of furthering character depth might be when Tony headed up the registration act, or when he became the director of SHIELD, . I liked them too. srug

Galan007
Originally posted by Zeitgeist
I liked them too. srug You cool. cool

willRules
Isn't Hank McCoy considered the world's leading authority on genetics? I know Xavier was supposed to be at one stage but I thought Xavier kinda went down the electronics route with Cerebro/Cerebra....

Zeitgeist
Xavier's also something of an expert on political manipulation, if that counts...

willRules
Good point yes

nimbus006
It adds a further degree of depth to a character, and 9 times out of 10, more depth is a good thing. Good examples of furthering character depth might be when Tony headed up the registration act, or when he became the director of SHIELD, .

Nope, I did as well.

I enjoy reading complex characters (which Stark most definitely is), and usually great scientific minds are exactly that.

My favorite aspect of reading Batman are in scenarios when he's in the Cave, or the JLA Tower, or just talking to himself about how to decipher (problem solving) certain situations, same with Reed/Tony in the lab.

willRules
My favorite aspect of reading Batman are in scenarios when he's in the Cave, or the JLA Tower, or just talking to himself about how to decipher certain situations, same with Reed in the lab.

Definitely. I love the whole Towel of Babel storyline concept yes

nimbus006
Originally posted by willRules
Isn't Hank McCoy considered the world's leading authority on genetics? I know Xavier was supposed to be at one stage but I thought Xavier kinda went down the electronics route with Cerebro/Cerebra....

Oh, Hank is another great mind I forgot to add, good call.

Yea, Im not exactly sure I would label Xavier's scientific focus as simply genetics. I would say he is more along the lines of a Political Science/Psychology major with a minor in genetics. = )

manjaro
hank mccoy is all about bio chemistry too, and he's second only to PYm in the world.....his level of genetics is awsome but that only came into play when he was working on a cure for the leagcy virus,and trying to reverse the effects of M-day...as for Xavier remember that before he even invented cerebro or formed the Xmen he and moira were doing nothing but focusing on mutant genetics, that was like his stock in trade

nimbus006
Originally posted by manjaro
as for Xavier remember that before he even invented cerebro or formed the Xmen he and moira were doing nothing but focusing on mutant genetics, that was like his stock in trade

Very true... so maybe it's the other way around. He should have a major in Genetics with a minor in Political Science/Psychology.

psycho gundam
xavier is one of the 7 smartest humans on earth.
i think this is the list:

-reed richards
-henry pym
-david bruce banner
-charles francis xavier
-anthony stark
-jose santini aka the mad thinker
-amadeus cho

--------------------------honorable mentions--------------------------

-victor von doom (most likely was left out due to his at the time criminal status)

-nathanial essex - believed dead for many years. general humanity are oblivious that he is mr. sinister

-herbert wyndham aka high evolutionary. like essex he is believed dead for at least a century and the general public is oblivious to his existence.

Symmetric Chaos
Huh?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.