Tragic Heroes

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Entity
I've noticed that tragic heroes almost always tend to become my favorite ones. I just can't seem to get enough of the heroes that are doomed to fail or just happen to end up losing. Also the ones with a dark or sinful past, ones that have made mistakes or were victims of circumstance and are attempting to gain redemption wither they are truly responsible for what happened or not.

And not just in comics but on television and movies too really fascinate me as well.

So I was just wondering what your favorite types of heroes are and, if they're tragic as well, who you think some of the best tragic heroes or just tragic characters are.

Some of mine are,

Spiderman, of course
Nightwing
Batman
Daredevil
Blade
Kyle Rayner
Mr. Terrific
The Punisher
Rorschach
Ozymandias
Sara Pezzini aka Witchblade
Jackie Estacado aka The Darkness
Ian Nottingham
Spawn
V
The Shadow
Magneto
Black Panther
Hellboy
Hulk
Gambit
Rogue
Sentry
Wolverine, yes he's awesome just nothing like some would claim him to be.
Ironman
Cole Turner - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cole_Turner
Angel - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angel_%28Buffy_the_Vampire_Slayer%29
Hannibal Lector - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hannibal_Lector I know he's not exactly looking for redemption but he's very tragic none the less
Harry Dresden - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Dresden_%28TV_character%29
Sam Beckett - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Beckett
Jarrod The Pretender - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pretender_%28TV_series%29

Anyway let me know some of your list and what you think of mine.

ScarletSpeed
Peter is my favourite tragic hero,

nothing ever goes right for the poor bastard.

My favourite heroes are The Flash, Deadpool and Spidey,

I think it is their comedy that attracts me to them.

Entity
Originally posted by ScarletSpeed
Peter is my favourite tragic hero,

nothing ever goes right for the poor bastard.

My favourite heroes are The Flash, Deadpool and Spidey,

I think it is their comedy that attracts me to them. Flash is one of the few heroes I really like that never seemed tragic to me.

Why do you think Flash is tragic or do you?
Maybe we're not even talking about the same Flash

Raoul
Most heroes have a tragic element to them in their own way imo... most of the x-men in particular, very few of them have good histories...

Originally posted by Entity
Flash is one of the few heroes I really like that never seemed tragic to me.

zoom. linda. uhuh

if you haven't read it, shame on you.

Mindship
Silver Surfer: a pacifist with the blood of billions on his hands.

ScarletSpeed
Flash is one of the few heroes I really like that never seemed tragic to me.

No I don't mean he is tragic, just saying he is one of my favouriteslaughing out loud

Sure some tragic things have happened to the Flash e.g(as Raoul said) what happened to Linda was tragic. but it's not regular enough to say he is a tragic hero IMO.

Entity
Originally posted by Raoul
Most heroes have a tragic element to them in their own way imo... most of the x-men in particular, very few of them have good histories...

zoom. linda. uhuh

if you haven't read it, shame on you. Well true but its not like that stuff happens to Flash often and he really doesn't have anything to seek redemption for. I mean he's one of those almost always wins heroes. IMO

Entity
No I don't mean he is tragic, just saying he is one of my favouriteslaughing out loud

Sure some tragic things have happened to the Flash e.g(as Raoul said) what happened to Linda was tragic. but it's not regular enough to say he is a tragic hero IMO. I see yea in that case I agree.

And like I said The Flash is one of the very very few heroes of his kind I truly like.

DigiMark007
The-Judge

ScarletSpeed
I see yea in that case I agree.

And like I said The Flash is one of the very very few heroes of his kind I truly like.

Damn Flash and his whitty charm laughing out loud

Raoul
Well true but its not like that stuff happens to Flash often and he really doesn't have anything to seek redemption for. I mean he's one of those almost always wins heroes. IMO

he doesn't have to seek redemption to be tragic, though...

he and linda had problems for years, and when they finally get a bit of happiness, its taken away from him because of his willingness to have a public identity...

and taken away by zoom... wally's power is to be the fastest man on earth, and yet even he wasn't fast enough to save the one thing that mattered to him in the world... imagine, the one thing you're good at isn't good enough to protect the most important thing in your world... it almost destroyed his marriage too, in fact it did for quite a while...

yes, things did work out in the end, but i don't think wally has ever been the same since zoom came along...

ScarletSpeed
Batman is one of my favourite tragic heroes,

ScarletSpeed
he doesn't have to seek redemption to be tragic, though...

he and linda had problems for years, and when they finally get a bit of happiness, its taken away from him because of his willingness to have a public identity...

and taken away by zoom... wally's power is to be the fastest man on earth, and yet even he wasn't fast enough to save the one thing that mattered to him in the world... imagine, the one thing you're good at isn't good enough to protect the most importanty thing in your world... it almost destroyed his marriage too, in fact it did for quite a while...

yes, things did work out in the end, but i don't think wally has ever been the same since zoom came along...

Nicely put.

Raoul
Nicely put.

why thank you... big grin

ScarletSpeed
stick out tongue now I am in the mood to read Zoomsad

Scoobless
Almost all heroes (and most villains) have some level of "tragedy" in their past.

erm

Raoul
stick out tongue now I am in the mood to read Zoomsad

you should...

Originally posted by Scoobless
Almost all heroes (and most villains) have some level of "tragedy" in their past.

erm

yep...

ScarletSpeed
you should...

enjoying this match then I mightlaughing out loud

Entity

erm Well this is more related to the ones that are specifically tragic, known for their tragedy or destined to lose in the end.

Not so much the ones that aren't generally tragic but rather just the occasional shit happens things that would happen to anyone eventually. Or ones that have dealt with one tragic event and since become hardly tragic at all. shifty

Symmetric Chaos

erm

It always feels cliched to me nowadays.

Raoul
enjoying this match then I mightlaughing out loud

i know the feeling...

Well this is more related to the ones that are specifically tragic, known for their tragedy or destined to lose in the end.

Not so much the ones that aren't generally tragic but rather just the occasional shit happens things that would happen to anyone eventually. Or ones that have dealt with one tragic event and since become hardly tragic at all. shifty

cyclops. emma frost is the first woman he's loved that hasn't died, been an evil clone or a cosmic entity. sent his only child to the future to save its life. leads a team that is part of the smallest minority. has a power that he can't really control and for years had to exercise extreme self control just so he wouldnt kill the people he cared about. was betrayed by the only father figure he's ever had. yet he still gets on with it...

can't say he's not tragic...

Eel O'Brian
Sentry
Yes, the character concept IS tragic, but I don't think that it's intentional.

comicfan11
Aquaman (Orin)

He was abandoned at birth, found by a lighthouse keeper and one day he suddenly disappears.
After that he watched his son die, his wife went mad, tried to kill him and left him, his protege left him for some time and hated him.
Some time later he loses his hand and "dies" defeating an Imperiex probe and "saving Atlantis".
But after Atlantis finally returns to the present with their king, the people he gave his life to protect accuse him of treason and sentence him to death(!!!).
He then returns to Atlantis only to see it destroyed by the Spectre.
His final act as Aquaman is raise Sub Diego from the ocean saving thousands but loosing himself in the process...

Pretty tragic I'd say...

The Pict
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=417389

Kinda been done.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.