Worst Star Trek Movie Ever?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Schecter
...ok i checked 'poll' and it still wont let me make one. i give up. please erase

steverules
derka derka

Schecter
you're one to talk

Shakyamunison
Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, would get my vote.

jaden101
generations...an utter steamer...

Mr Parker
Originally posted by Shakyamunison

of the star trek movies with the ORIGINAL cast I would have to agree.

Mindship
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Kirk's 23rd century hairpiece was awful.

Badabing
Final Frontier and Nemesis are my least favorites, though I'll still watch them. For rell.

Impediment
I really disliked "The Final Frontier".

I actually liked "Generations" and "Nemesis".

SpikeSpiegel
Final Frontier was the worst in terms of plot etc. but I found the Motion Picture to be boring, it just seemed to be dragged out way too long.

Acrosurge
Originally posted by Impediment
I really disliked "The Final Frontier".

I actually liked "Generations" and "Nemesis". I agree on both counts. Generations was actually a great TNG film, but it was weakened by the poor execution of Kirk crossing over into the 24th Century. Nemesis gets way too much hate. It was a solid Star Trek film, if a bit dark.

ST:TMP might be the weakest film. It was slow as all get out and watch grass grow.

Badabing
I think my problem with Nemesis is that it is dark but also "quiet". Very little music is playing in the background. I don't hate the movie it's just one of my least favorite Star Trek movies, along with Final Frontier. But I still watch the movies.

Jedireaper
I liked First Contact, Generations, and Nemises. i hated Insurrection. It was terrible...

Kinneary
Yeah, I'm with you. Insurrection was horrible, with only TMP being worse.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Badabing
Final Frontier and Nemesis are my least favorites, though I'll still watch them. For rell.

I feel the same way

Another least fave of mine is ST: Insurrection. The plot could have been better.

Endrict Nuul
Generations and Insurrection.

Schecter
i have mixed feelings about generations. i absolutely loved the tng part of it, but the second shatner appeared on screen in the matrix scene it just plummeted into the abyss of cheese. my three most hated are the final frontier, insurrection, and nemesis. if i have to choose just one it would be insurrection. not 5 because the original cast always has their moments, and not nemesis because it at least threw in some decent action to compensate for the craptastic plot. insurrection was as crappy as it was boring as it was completely nonsensical. seriously, i left the theater thinking "wait...what was that all about again? ah never mind it sucked anyway."

Jedireaper
Well I though Insurrection was like one of the TV series when you get a bad episode only it was multiplied 100 times. First Contact was the best ST film I think.

I dunno, I enjoyed Nemesis, it was different, a change if you will, in the pace and series. Nemesis had (and wasnt directed by) Riker and Troi get married. Good. It had the best foley mixing and editing in any ST movie. Good. It had 2 Data's. Ok. It had a brilliant space battle. Woopi Goldberg in one scene. Why? A clone of Picard... well kinda unimaginative. No time travel. Finally! big grin I thought it was directed well though.

And Generations was good, and would have been better had William Shatener played Kerk with more enthusiusm and Spok had been in it. But otherwise if they had edited out the OS characters then maybe it might have been a better film. I dunno smile

Schecter
i just think it was a horrible film to debut the tng cast in. kirks day was over in 'undiscovered country', which would have suited the OS fine since imho it was a kickass film. instead, ironically, shatner would go on to be the fattest eyesore and annoyance of the next film. how about his last words? "oh my". he seemed to be mocking his character the whole time, but not in an occasional haha kinda way, but rather a 'look how this fat pathetic old topet man is shoehorned so tightly and awkwardly into his starfleet suit that he cant even pull off the typical kirk double overhand chop" kinda way.

i agree that first contact was spectacular. my favorite will always be wrath of khan but thats a very close second.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Endrict Nuul
Generations and Insurrection.

I loved Generations, but didn't like Insurrection that much..

starlock
I would say insurrection....but i watch them all and enjoy them

darthmaul1
I would have to say
the final frontier
generatrions
insurection
and
nemisis
were all loads of crap.
Nemisis was one of the NG's worst ones because they just threw all this crap in and expected us to buy it. like another data on another planet WTF? totally not needed, it made the real Data's death meaningless.
also they tossed out the prime directive when the natives on the planet were chasing them in the buggies and they were shooting back.
Oh ya the nintendo joystick in insurection for manual control??? that was crappy.
Generations picards family dieing, who cares you saw them once in a crappy episode and then he is all trying to find the family album that we never saw before. what about his cherished flute that we saw in a bunch of episodes that actually had some meaning to him.
Final frontier let's face it that whole thing is a wash besides the comedy.

Raoul
Originally posted by darthmaul1
also they tossed out the prime directive when the natives on the planet were chasing them in the buggies and they were shooting back.

that isn't tossing out the prime directive... the prime directive forbids the manipultion and/or interruption of a planets political, economic, cultural or evolutionary development...

starfleet officers are more than entitled to defend themselves if attacked...

but yeah, i agree nemesis wasnt up to much...

Ushgarak
TMP was boring, true. Generations was, basically, uninspired nonsense, true. Nemesis was a badly written mess, true.

But Final Frontier was just plain dreadful. You can keep digging for good bits in the worst Trek films; TMP was lovingly created and well shot, even though it could put people into comas and was ultimately meaningless. Generations had a good villain. Even Nemesis seemed to be trying hard (although failing by a huge margin), and did actually have some drama in.

Final Frontier is just irredeemable. It's boring it's nonsense, there's no villain as such, the effects are bad, the action is bad, the resolution is bad, it breaks logic even more than the bi-monthly time travel plots, the characters go nowhere, no-one actually cares about anything that happens in it... I really did feel everyione had just given up.

It is an amazing miracle the franchise survived it. TNG played its part there, of course, but Trek films were saved by the miracle that was The Undiscovered Country.

darthmaul1
Quote" that isn't tossing out the prime directive... the prime directive forbids the manipultion and/or interruption of a planets political, economic, cultural or evolutionary development...
starfleet officers are more than entitled to defend themselves if attacked..."

Bull crap on that theory if the planet doesn't have warp drive they can't do anything. Remember the Original episode called a private little war,
They couldn't fire on the locals cause it is forbbiden, by the prime directive they have to do everything in there power to not INTERFERE with a primitive society. same thing with TNG episode with the duck blind looking at the primitve romulans.

TMP had an excellent story and was interesting provided you could get through the long portions of boarding the enterprise and flying into vigr.
I loved the movie but it is quite boring and if i am sick and can't sleep this is the movie i put in to knock myself out within 5 minutes.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Raoul
that isn't tossing out the prime directive... the prime directive forbids the manipultion and/or interruption of a planets political, economic, cultural or evolutionary development...

starfleet officers are more than entitled to defend themselves if attacked...

but yeah, i agree nemesis wasnt up to much...

Quote" that isn't tossing out the prime directive... the prime directive forbids the manipultion and/or interruption of a planets political, economic, cultural or evolutionary development...

Bull crap on that theory if the planet doesn't have warp drive they can't do anything. Remember the Original episode called a private little war,
They couldn't fire on the locals cause it is forbbiden, by the prime directive they have to do everything in there power to not INTERFERE with a primitive society. same thing with TNG episode with the duck blind looking at the primitve romulans.

TMP had an excellent story and was interesting provided you could get through the long portions of boarding the enterprise and flying into vigr.
I loved the movie but it is quite boring and if i am sick and can't sleep this is the movie i put in to knock myself out within 5 minutes.

The prime directive really didn't matter sometimes since both Kirk and Picard, both broke it.

Neo Darkhalen
FF, Nemesis and generations.

Raoul

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Prime_Directive

there is NOTHING there that says crews can't defend themselves if need be...

stunning one person in self defence is not going to interfere with the development of a world in any way...

the fact that they didn't go in covertly? sure, that could be considered breaking the directive, but protecting themselves? not imo...

Doctor-Alvis
The Enterprise always had that hilarious joy stick for manual control. Finding that extra Soong android to use in their plans was pretty lucky on their part I thought but brilliant Picard bait.

Devil King
The Motion Picture: Boring and endless. 3/10

Wrath of Khan: What the first ST motion Picture should have been. 8/10

Search for Spock: a neccessary movie and anything that serves as a vehicle for Christopher Lloyd is fine with me. 6/10

The Voyage Home: a fun movie that really did strike me as an extended episode of the original series, which is why I loved it. "One damn minute, Admiral." 8/10

Final Frontier: The camping scenes. After that, it is less appealing than an old, nude Uhura dancing. 1/10

Undiscovered Country: A really good film. I watched it last night, in fact. What I would call a pretty perfect ST movie. Likely my favorite of the original crew films. 9/10

Generations: A waste of Malcom McDowell's ability and character, as well as being a horrible epitaph for Kirk. 3/10

First Contact: What a NG movie should be. Very satisfied with this movie. 8/10

Insurrection: Dreadful. 2/10

Nemesis: Again, a good villain, shoved into a terrible story. And, a waste of a great character like Data. Like the motion picture, it was really just a rushed response to Star Wars. 4/10 -mainly for the villain.

So, I guess I'm going with Final Frontier and/or Insurrecction.

Acrosurge
confused Help me out, fellow Star Trek fans; I cannot understand the all the dislike for Nemesis. It was a solid Star Trek movie (Sci-Fi movie in general) which was paced better than all the other ST films before it with the exception of First Contact. It had a very strong theme, which many of the other films lacked, and presented an effective ending arc for both Picard and Data.

It wasn't the best, (First Contact gets that distinction) however it is far from the worst ST movie. TMP, SfS, FF, Generations, and Insurrection are all weaker films.

Badabing
Originally posted by Acrosurge
confused Help me out, fellow Star Trek fans; I cannot understand the all the dislike for Nemesis. It was a solid Star Trek movie (Sci-Fi movie in general) which was paced better than all the other ST films before it with the exception of First Contact. It had a very strong theme, which many of the other films lacked, and presented an effective ending arc for both Picard and Data.

It wasn't the best, (First Contact gets that distinction) however it is far from the worst ST movie. TMP, SfS, FF, Generations, and Insurrection are all weaker films. Originally posted by Badabing
I think my problem with Nemesis is that it is dark but also "quiet". Very little music is playing in the background. I don't hate the movie it's just one of my least favorite Star Trek movies, along with Final Frontier. But I still watch the movies.

Devil King
The dark and silent tone of the movie was my favorite aspect of Nemesis. In many ways, I thought that's how the Star Wars prequels should have looked.

Badabing
I can see that appealing to people. But for me TNG was always the cheery franchise while DS9 and Voyager were a bit darker.

Raoul
To fix the problem with the original, new thread for merging...

Raoul
there, problem solved, vote away...

Schecter
thanks raoul!

darthmaul1
since when have they used a joystick to steer the enterprise?? they have used a key pad to adjust the course even in the shuttles but NEVER a joystick. (show me one episode where they have done that)

darthmaul1
TMP 7/10 great story although it is quite boring in places, if you can get the directors edition on DVD it has some new effects and some stuff removed, and added.

TWOK 10/10 perfect movie

TSFS 7/10 good fun and humor and needed in the series.

TVH 8/10 loads of fun and a great movie, "Can you tell me where to find the nuclear wessals."

TFF 1/10 good comedy, nothing else, i don't even consider it to be part of the series.

TUC 10/10 along the lines of wrath of khan (same director) great movie

Generations 1/10 just a bad movie reusing footage from the undiscovered country, Kirk went out like a panzy, and why didn't malcom mcdowell just get in a space suit and sit in space and wait for the barrier to hit him. don't consider it part of the series

First Contact 9/10 great movie loads of fun, the only one out of NG that i like and have.

insurection 1/10 crap, bad and stupid, (nintendo joystick) and WTF Worf just happens to be passing by??

nemipenis 1/10 crap garbage dumb, did not feel anything when data died cause there was another one to replace him.

Devil King
Which scenes in Generations were recycled from Undiscovered Country? I don't remember that.

Raoul
Originally posted by Devil King
Which scenes in Generations were recycled from Undiscovered Country? I don't remember that.

the klingon bird of prey exploding...

Schecter
except in undiscovered country it was epic win

Doctor-Alvis
since when have they used a joystick to steer the enterprise?? they have used a key pad to adjust the course even in the shuttles but NEVER a joystick. (show me one episode where they have done that)
I really can't pin down a specific episode. I just vaguely recall the series lighting of the bridge, the joystick looking even crappier, and my "Really?!" reaction to it.

Might be possible I'm just remembering Insurrection again.

darthmaul1
You are remembering Insurrection with the joystick, Riker says manual control and the column pops up with the big joystick and all of a sudden the enterprise handles like a fighter jet. it made me laugh i'll give it that.

BruceSkywalker

I didn't mind the recycled footage. Thats how Paramount wanted to save money. The also did that for some of the tv shows

Devil King

Oh yeah, I think I do remember picking up on that. It's been a while I suppose.

Raoul
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
I didn't mind the recycled footage. Thats how Paramount wanted to save money. The also did that for some of the tv shows

they did it in the ds9 finale... i couldnt believe it... the last episode and they skimp on the budget...

Originally posted by Devil King
Oh yeah, I think I do remember picking up on that. It's been a while I suppose.

i didnt notice it at first either...

Schecter
so far its final frontier by a landslide

what does god need with a starship?

Robtard
Originally posted by Schecter
so far its final frontier by a landslide

what does god need with a starship?

Who are you to question God, mortal.

tom_servo
V for the original movie cast,
and Insurrection for TNG.

Jack Daniels
the first movie was way to drawn out but the books that later tied the voyager probe as being the first borg "being" they came into contact with and joined spock with the collective...made me like it just a little more...but still the worst....due to being dragged out

Raoul
Originally posted by Jack Daniels
the first movie was way to drawn out but the books that later tied the voyager probe as being the first borg "being" they came into contact with and joined spock with the collective...made me like it just a little more...but still the worst....due to being dragged out

i never read that book, is it any good?

Darth Tombulis
OK, I do agree with the idea THE FINAL FRONTIER was terrible (especially since it was suppose to be the LAST original cast feature film, only to crap out so bad the cast felt they needed another movie to really go out right). But to me, INSURRECTION was worst because of the storyline. The Alpha Quadrant is at war with the Dominion, and the Enterprise is...NOT...on the frontlines. To me, the plot to this movie should have been focused around the war, with a HUGE ground battle between Klingons and the Gem' Hadar soldiers (a LORD OF THE RINGS-type battle, MILLIONS of soldiers), along with the BIGGEST SPACEBATTLE EVER SEEN. THAT would have been glorious...only....the Enterprise was saving a planet, one planet, that ANYONE ELSE could have done. And NEMESIS could have been set around the return of VOYAGER, and fighting the Borg.

But...what can you do. With the new movie coming out, and Rick Berman not involved (as far as I can see), it should be alright...we'll just have to see when it comes out.

Thank you.

Jack Daniels
i never read that book, is it any good?

yeah not sure which one it was I need to read em all again just havent had time....they were gonna assimilate spock but then figured out his mind was already linked with the collective so anyways if I remember which book it was Ill post the name back in here

Schecter
just as i predicted, its neck and neck between final frontier and insurrection. both tragically horrible movies in their own right. completely different yet equally hated.

Badabing
Star Trek WOK and Star Trek FC are both made of pure win. w00t slide

Scoobless
Insurrection FTL

JayJohn85

Been used many times was used in DS9 as well lol.

Final frontier got my vote followed by insurrection. As for the nemesis bashing on the prime directive thing, according to plot it all made sense the federation just came outta a serious war, serious violations of the directive in insurrection too and just generally a darker time period in federation history. In short they fed up probably of getting shot at and decided to do some of there own:P

Lord Shadow Z
I voted for Final Frontier. My brother and I watched all the Trek movies and FF was the only one we couldn't sit through-its just a big mess. The Motion Picture was really boring but you got to understand at the time they were planning a second series, not a film, so I don't think things were thought out properly as a result.

I think Generations is average, along with Insurrection and Nemesis-although Nemesis has a brilliant space battle at the end.

The problem with the 'Picard' movies is that they all somehow revolve around Data.

Sadako of Girth
Originally posted by Badabing

Good call.
I myself voted Final Frontier but I agree that Nemesis isn't up to standard either. Its just flat and a big bummer too.
I'm not crazy about the bland Insurrection either.

"The motion(less) picture" is one I felt sentimentally nosgtalgic for but its a very hollow movie emotionally.

Thank f*** that they got it right for WTOK.

Jack Daniels
the first is the most important and probably least watched but helped with the borg issue

Silke
I really hated Nemesis. Not for the movie itself, which was a very decent and exciting action flick but what they did the Romulans in it was atrocious. That who Remans/ Romulans thing and the planet exploding stuff? Made me hate it with a passion.

darthmaul1
for me it's a tie, with 5, 7 9 and 10
they all sucked big time
in fact i don't even consider Kirk as dead since that movie sucked so bad.

zeel
prolly final frontier

CadoAngelus
Motion Picture, it was rubbish and bored the hell out of me...lol

Darth Jello
Tmp was the worst in my opinion. I agree with Kevin Smith in that it's just a slow paced series of glory shots of the enterprise set to Jerry Goldsmith's score. Nemesis sucked because it seemed like the director didn't give a crap about characterization and had never seen star trek. Generations just seemed like an extended episode of the show and didn't really give Kirk a dignified sendoff. IV is kind of ridiculous and I like it but I think it has the absolute worst soundtrack of all the movies, it sounds like a mid 70's hanna barbara cartoon. V wasn't great but I don't think it's the monsterous travesty that everyone says it is because at least it's character driven. I think the new one, despite the excellent reviews may divide a lot of people based on the whole new timeline thing.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.