how long does it take to become a jedi?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

darth stu
from episode I and some of the new fiction out there (pre episode I) we know that force-sensitive children are found soon after birth and trained until around 13 or so when they are apprenticed as a padawan. their subsequent training can last until around early 20s or so when they become a full jedi knight (we don't know as much about becoming a jedi master or a member of the council). so around 20 years to become a jedi.

here is my question. how long did it take for Luke to become a jedi knight? well, ben taught him for a few days at most in ANH. then yoda taught him in ESB. but how long did that last? from the film (ESB) it looks like it took around 2-5 days if even that long. this is because they keep shifting from luke on dagobah to the falcon in the astroids and at bespin. now, the falcon didn't take more than 2-5 days to go from hoth, through the asteroids, and to bespin (first of all, no one on the falcon even changed their clothes during the whole trip).

so from this, it looks like luke became a jedi knight in around 1 week total hands-on training time (over a period of, say 3-4 years at most given the time between ANH and ESB).

does it bother anyone that the last hope of the universe to defeat the sith duo vader and palpatine became a jedi in around 7 days? remarkable. comments please

cheers

UnknownBountyHunter
I am not disturbed by this at all, because Luke couldn't go through those years just training, if he did then the galaxy would have been opened up to the dark side, and every Jedi would have disappeared permanently. The good side of the force would no longer exist. Luke was a last hope and he needed quick training so he could defeat the empire or at least the death star.

Xizor
about your jedi master question, a jedi becomes a jedi master once he successfully trains his patawan learner into becoming a jedi. Once a jedi's student is a jedi a jedi can become master.

darth stu
unknownbountyhunter,

what do you mean "the galaxy would have been opened up to the darkside, and every Jedi would have disappeared permanently"? the dark side already controled the galaxy, and all the jedi were already gone!

as far as your other statement, "Luke was a last hope and he needed quick training so he could defeat the empire or at least the death star", i am bothered that in 5 days luke could learn enough to defeat a sith master and apprentice that had ruled the galaxy for around 50 years. non sequitur

Xixor,

that's interesting. that would be the reason why obi-wan never became a jedi master. where is this information from?

UnknownBountyHunter
I did not intend to mean Jedi, I meant force-sensitive humans/aliens that were against or neutral to the Empire. And don't blame me for the five day thing on Luke, I am not GL so go ask him.

darth stu
i wasn't trying to be hostile. sorry if i came across that way. i'm not blaming you, when i say it bothers me, i mean just that: in general, that aspect of the story bothers me. by posting this thread i was hoping that someone could show me that in fact it wasn't 5 days and that there was much more training involved off-screen.

no hard feelings

UnknownBountyHunter
Good smile

Xizor
Unknownbountyhunter,
I got the info from TPM visual dictionary. On the page that describes Qui-Gon it tells about how Qui-Gon is a Master because he already trained a Padawan to Jedi status before Obi-Wan. It goes on to say that all Jedi must train another into Knighthood before becoming Master. It's harder than you think as many fail and a good deal more don't take on the challenge of training at all as to have a Padawan that fails is considered a great dishoner. You might find it interesting that the dictionary explains that Qui-Gon's first Padawan passed to make him Master, but his second failed. Obi-Wan is Qui-Gon's third Padawan learner.

UnknownBountyHunter
I looked for the book at our only bookstore, not there. Looks like I'll have to purchase from borders.com or something.

Darth Heinous
Depends on how good of a student you are.

Dark Lady Mara
Luke just kind of got a crash course. Yoda taught him the basics, then sent him on his way. "Good boy, now go kill the Emperor." Luke was really only intended for that one task.

UnknownBountyHunter
Exactly. This Mara Jade's the kind I like. Dark and good insight on Star Wars. wink

theEviljedi
So far have I done good getting Mara, UBH?

Dark Lady Mara
Don't take too much credit for me yet...

UnknownBountyHunter
Why Mara, do you hate us?? Anyways, your pretty awesome as far as knowledge and sense of humor. EvilJedi, yes good job !!

Dim
I would think that a normal padawan would have to spend alot of time learning jedi history, philosophy and decorum...maybe that's another reason why it usually take so long...

UnknownBountyHunter
Good point. I also think that a Jedi would have to understand the knowledge of planets, animals (err...aliens), etc. and the chemistry of life before actually being able to become a padawan.

Xizor
UBH, you sure are sucking it up to the first lady on our site, hmmmmm, I think so.smile I've made over 400 posts, most have been real good, but I get no complimentssad She's made like 10 responses and she's gotten "kiss up to your boss" treatment. Come on man, distribute the niceties.smile

UnknownBountyHunter
Hey, I am happily married, so no kissing up is needed, I am just glad to see a female who knows what she's talking about.

Xizor
Because most don't?

UnknownBountyHunter
From my experience, take a guess laughing out loud I have a wife, who constantly talks, at least I DON'T think she knows what she talks about. Maybe cause its because she only breathes every between paragraphs.

tainted one
Dark Lady Mara, you say that Luke just kind of got a crash course. Yoda taught him the basics, then sent him on his way. "Good boy, now go kill the Emperor." Luke was really only intended for that one task.

So why did it have to be luke to kill vader and palpatine? yoda sat in that swamp for like 20 years; ben sat in that desert for like 20 years. ben was a jedi general and the "greatest of the Jedi knights," and yoda was one of the most powerful masters ever. why wait 20 years for a snot-nosed whining kid to come along so you can teach him for 5 days and then sick him on the evil sith lords who have controled the galaxy for decades? why not go kill them earlier? yoda and ben together could have done it (hey, luke did it! my grandma could have done it!). why?

Dim
I think what made Luke able to defeat Vader whereas Yoda and OB1 wouldn't have been able to was the fact that Vader loved his son.

Xizor
Good call. Luke wasn't percieved as the same threat because of his youth. Plus he would have failed but it took a fathers love to save the galaxy. Vader and Palpy would have taken Yoda/Ben more seriously and would probably still defeated them as they did the other Jedi in the purge. It's very possible that Yoda/Ben forsaw that their future was to wait for Luke/train him, and that they would fail in direct conflict with Vader and the Emperor.

UnknownBountyHunter
Darn you Xizor. With my work and all I miss making good comments because you sum it up like Socrates. sad

Xizor
That was nicely put.smile

Darth Daft
Have you ever wondered if a Jedi can train him/herself without a master?
Perhaps, while not with Ben or Yoda Luke practised a lot by himself and looked into the history of the Jedi, so that he could learn all the things that he did.

umraan
it takes like a year

tachie5
Luke could already feel the force but did not have FULL control of it. He did have some control with him pulling his saber out of the snow and force guiding proton torpedos into the exhaust port of the Death Star. All Yoda had to do was teach Luke how to control the force and fight off the temptations of the dark side. His training on Dagobah more like a couple of weeks than 3 or 4 days and besides all they that they didnt send Luke off to kill the emperor...he left to go save his friends. Hell, they begged and pleaded for him to stay and complete his training. Then you must look a the fact that Vader could have killed Luke if he had wanted to but his intentions were not to kill but to turn him because he knew he was his son.

Jackie Malfoy
Originally posted by darth stu
from episode I and some of the new fiction out there (pre episode I) we know that force-sensitive children are found soon after birth and trained until around 13 or so when they are apprenticed as a padawan. their subsequent training can last until around early 20s or so when they become a full jedi knight (we don't know as much about becoming a jedi master or a member of the council). so around 20 years to become a jedi.

here is my question. how long did it take for Luke to become a jedi knight? well, ben taught him for a few days at most in ANH. then yoda taught him in ESB. but how long did that last? from the film (ESB) it looks like it took around 2-5 days if even that long. this is because they keep shifting from luke on dagobah to the falcon in the astroids and at bespin. now, the falcon didn't take more than 2-5 days to go from hoth, through the asteroids, and to bespin (first of all, no one on the falcon even changed their clothes during the whole trip).

so from this, it looks like luke became a jedi knight in around 1 week total hands-on training time (over a period of, say 3-4 years at most given the time between ANH and ESB).

does it bother anyone that the last hope of the universe to defeat the sith duo vader and palpatine became a jedi in around 7 days? remarkable. comments please

cheers

It seens luke got the jedi skills so training him for a couple of days was needed.and no training for years was not or because of the movie being long as it is.
I do not think they would brother us with how long his training his.JM laughing

Darth_Glentract
Jorus C'baoth was trained in four years.

DenKi
It Takes the ****ing Piss really, Its Like one of those SW mock ups, Luke trainned for like 5 Days and he Took down and beat a Sith Lord Just like that, It makes Episode 1,2 and 3 look ****ing stupid.

Darth_Janus
It takes nine week to become a Jedi at Lawrence Tech. I can get my Jedi Master's degree in four years.

Darth Mantis
There is no exact estimate... I guess intil you finish the trials...

Darth_Janus
Wrong way to become a Jedi...

Darth_Janus
And the right way...

Grand Moff Gav
darth janus you have alot of pics on bush dont you

Mace Skywalker
Originally posted by Xizor
about your jedi master question, a jedi becomes a jedi master once he successfully trains his patawan learner into becoming a jedi. Once a jedi's student is a jedi a jedi can become master.

So since in that clone wars cartoon, yoda cut off anakin's tail of hair and he became a jedi knight, that means obi-wan is a master!

JacenSkywalker
ok... think about your own life. Think of all the things that have happened in it... Now think of all the things you know.

Your ability to drive a car, read a book, buy a house, raise a child, learn a new task.

All of the things you know are an accumulation of everything you have learned during your life. You could not drive a car unless you had first learned to walk, read, etc....

You could not buy a house or rent an apartment unless you had first learned how to count, work a job, earn money, talk to people, etc...

So as for Luke's training to become a Jedi... it took his entire lifetime up until the point he became a Jedi. All the hard work on Tatooine, the discipline of a moisture farmer, the loneliness of being an orphan and having to be somewhat independant at an early age, the pain of lossing his father (remember he did not learn the truth until confirmed by Yoda in ROTJ, his flying skills he had already learned when we first met him in Ep 4... all of this was part of his training.

He already had a strong connection in the Force due to his father's abilities AND his Mother's loving nature. Ben and Yoda just took the rough diamond and polished it!

Also remember that what to us appears as days, actually takes place over a much longer period of time.... the time between EP 4 and EP 5 was not just a day but 3 years (see the schedule of time provided in the novels following the movies such as The New Jedi Order: Dark Tide II). Return of the Jedi (where he actually became a Jedi) was 4 years after A New Hope...

So if you want to lock him down to the minimum it is 4 years.. but I say it is his entire life.

Nataku8188
Three movies, or a very good montage.

nytmare
Luke did not destroy any kind of sith member, anakin skywalker was the chosen one to end the dark side and balance the force and he did. Anakin skywalker was the one that killed darth sidious when he was zapping luke. All luke was there for was to bring him back from the dark side. all along anakin was always the chosen one. and for the whole luke training in 1 week or so? look at his muscle in ANH, and look at it when hes on degobah, complete difference in muscle tone and everything, now i know this is really the actor working out but lucas was making it look like there was alot mroe time in between movies then what we had see, they could have been on hoth for 5 years and we would never know it. not to mention luke had the 2 best jedi's to teach him and he already had a head start being a skywalker.

Darth Piro
Look, honestly, you guys don't know teh time gaps? I guess me, a young ol' 15 year old shall have to whip up the answers! MWAHAHAHA!

Okay, first of all, between Ep IV and ep V, there is a 3 year gap. This gives Luke 3 eyars to train on dagobah, which makes sense if you think about it. Anakin already balanced the force in hte EP: III, by becoming a Sith although, he did end up sorta over balancing it. The universe was full of Jedi, and only two sith at most.

Now Tyranus is dead, and Anakin was recruited to bring balance. Jedi died and it became almost equal in number, so Anakin already fulfilled the Prophecies, but in a different way to what the Jedi Council expected it to be? Happy now people?

And it takes roughly 2 years mimumum to become a Jedi Knight from Padawan. You are a youngling from almost straight after birth until about 8 years old. You're then a padawan, where you're given a High rank, be it Master or Knight, as a Mentor. This lasts until the Mentor feels you are ready to face the trials. If you pass, they become a higher level, unless already master, and then you become knight. To become a Master yourself, you have to get yourself a Padawan OR do something exceptionally great.

There, done and dusted XD

whirlysplat
Luke became a Jedi on a correpondance course from, "Yoda's onlie Jedi Academy", He had a partial credit from Obi Wan and had to visit Yoda for two short residentials. So it must be pretty easy! big grin

JacenSkywalker
Darth Piro makes an excellent point... for a Sith!

The "balance" was out of line in favor of the Light Side of the Force with 10,000 Jedi... Anakin's actions reduced those numbers to 2... and that matched him and Darth Sidius...

Perhaps the prophecy WAS mis-interpreted as Yoda proposed in EP I...

Great work Piro... but you are too young to chose the Dark Side... Come back to the Light Side while there is still time.

Jacen Skywalker

Darth Piro
I see, you've read the new republic books too eh Jacen? pretty coll innit? I love sith, they're double bladed Lightsabers rawk XD

And when I make a point, I always like it to be a good one XD And btw, there were 3 Jedi, there was the Alderaanian King who took Leia... :3

Sometimes I ruin stuff like this though.. with my posts, I usually ruin the whole purpose of the thread.. -.-' XD

SITHY!!!! (with a double bladed lightsaber) PHWOOOMMMM

JacenSkywalker
The Alderanian King... aka Senator Bail Organa... was NOT a Jedi. If he was, he would have been killed by the Clones when he went to the Jedi Temple to investigate the explosion....

Peace :-)

Darth Piro
Mmm.. I thought he was, cos he was protected by that blonde dude who died when hte clones wnt to attack organa. Besides, he stuck with Yoda and Obi-wan... :3

Peace back ta that!

Leafar
Luke's training...In Episode 5 he told Yoda that Ben had taught him a lot...remember, Ben was physically dead, but spiritually he was still around...I think he had been training Luke on the spiritual plane for years...and possibly before they met in Episode 4...remember, Luke knew about Uncle Ben...perhaps he had been training him without Luke's direct knowledge...secretly...more later...

zimain
Luke became a jedi so fast b'cus he was trained by the force, (ben kenobi) who had become one with the force so could show him more just becuse you spend 20years at it from birth does not mean u will be a jedi, its talent and natural ability the time is wisdom as luke is the son of the chosen one i expect that once he is shown the door he will be able to walk through it like his dad, if you catch my drift!

Leafar
Originally posted by zimain
Luke became a jedi so fast b'cus he was trained by the force, (ben kenobi) who had become one with the force so could show him more just becuse you spend 20years at it from birth does not mean u will be a jedi, its talent and natural ability the time is wisdom as luke is the son of the chosen one i expect that once he is shown the door he will be able to walk through it like his dad, if you catch my drift!

Zimain, you miss my point. I think that Ben had been training Luke since he was a child, but Luke was not aware he was being trained to be a future Jedi Master. Ben had to keep it a secret. The exact way he trained him I do not know, but hopefully it will be revealed in the TV series.

JacenSkywalker
ah.... great idea. Just like Martial Arts Masters often train without the students knowing they are being trained... good point. But remember, the actual time between EP4 and EP6 is 4 years, so Luke had more time than just an apparent "few weeks" on Dagobah.

zimain
there's a TV series? you mean the cartoon? i see what you mean with being trained without knowing, sounds likely

BigDaddyWindu
Honestly, i really don't think Luke was even close to being ready after that one week period with Yoda on Degobah. People were saying earlier that he was trained for a week then was all of a sudden able to beat vader and palpitine. But the truth is, he was not ready at all. He wasnt shipped off to go fight vader either, he went against what yoda was telling him to do and left degobah. Yoda and Obi Wan both knew he wasn't even close to being ready. They were telling him he wasnt ready and that he has to stay and train or he will be destroyed by vader. A real jedi would know to stay and train to increase their knowledge of the force. He could not focus while being trained and wasnt a true believer of the force until yoda picked his ship up out of the swamp. The only reason he left was to play hero and go rescue his friends.

There is no way in hell that someone can become a jedi in a week, and if he was supposedly being mind trained by Obi Wan for the first 20 years of his life, then why was he such a whiney little baby for all of Episode 4 and most of Episode 5. And if he was such a jedi after this short training period, then why did he get owned by vader at the end of episode 5. After watching that fight scene, i felt as if i cud destroy luke with a blindfold on. no jedi cud ever be that bad at fighting.If this is everyone's idea of a jedi then idk what to say

He wasnt ready in Episode 6 either, he believed he was a jedi which is good, and he was in fact much more in control of the force by episode 6 but he was nowhere near as skilled as the jedi of the old republic. By this movie, he was strong enough in the force that he was able to make vader think about switching back to the light side of the force. But to say he was a great jedi, i think whoever thinks that shud watch all six movies strait through and then see what you think.

I based this whole argument on the comparison of the jedi in episodes 1-3 to luke in episodes 4-6. This may be lucas' fault by making the jedi in 1-3 look 454325243 better then the jedi in 4-6, but in comparison to people like mace windu and yoda, luke is just a little child whose main role in the movies was to switch vader back to the good side so he can bring balance to the force as stated in the prophecy. The only reason he was able to do this was becuz he was vaders son, only minimum training was needed for this becuz vader wouldnt kill luke in the first place. the rank of jedi knight was not neeed for this feat and he most certainly did not hold that rank at all.

Darth Piro
Haven't we already finsihed the point about the prophecy? I've been gone for about a week, and hell breaks loose.. heh, joking.. but yeah, already been about the scriptures we have... About how maybe the jedi council misinterpretted teh scripture, because now, after seeing ep 3, I actually noticecd something. 2 Sith are all that remain at a time right? That's what is the law of sith, otherwise hell breaks lose.. master and apprenticee, then there were the two jedi left. technically, Anakin/Darth Vader/whatever you wanna call him did bring ballance, by reducing the numbers.

Now, to Luke. I completely agree with you BigDaddy, compared to hte old republic Jedi, Luke is like... a... I dunno, something really abd compared to those. All he did was whine about "Oh what's the point of this? I don't even wanna be here, I wanna go back and do some farming even though I should remember my family are dead.." sheesh.. he annoys me.. I thought Obi-wan shoulda hacked 'im in half right there...

zimain
well thats the point of ep 3, he fulfils his destiny, and the jedi relise this but at what cost!

Darth Piro
All but 2 XD

Paul-Muad'Dib
Well i think we can clearly see that Luke is not a jedi, he did not complete his training, he went to confront Vader on his own, and he beats Vader because Darth could not kill his son. What considers the prophecy i apply to you Darth Piro, its a good idea that Anakin did bring balance to the force itself, but that did not mean equality in the Galaxy bacause Palpatine and Darth Vader could affect a lot of people due to their fear what in other hand Obi-Wan and Yoda could not, especially because after the episode III everyone thinks that the jedis wanted to control over the senate. So that means that the darkside controls the galaxy. Someone asked why did not Obi-Wan and Yoda confront Palpatine and Darth Vader, that would sure have been an interesting 2vs2, in my opinion the jedis would have a slight advantage due to Darth Vader's armor which leads to decrease of capability to fight but lets leave that by side, what i'm saying is that, that the jedis could not even get close to the Emperor because of the imperial troops. So my guess the only purpose of Luke or should i say, Obi-Wan and Yoda knew that the only way of getting close to Darth Vader was via his son Luke, so he could bring him back to the light side ( love has pushed him to the dark side, and love could bring him back). I cannot imagine that Yoda would think that Luke can get so powerful so he could beat Emperor. Well i do not know about the prophecy but i presume it comes from jedi's legends so its understandable that bringing balance to the force means only light which eventually happens. Well if i'm mistaken about the prophecy please let me know.

Darth Piro
That's what the Jedi WANT you to think XD, no right, the prophecy, I know, but the prophecy doesn't actually state anything about being all light. The reason they don't do a 2 on 2 is...Yoda lost his Lightsaber in Ep 3, along with his beloved cloak, and is now dead anyway, and Obiwan is dead.. killed by vader anyway. They're old and slow now. Lujke is a puppet... Did Vader know Leia was his daughter? because I don't remember him showing any compassion for her...

Paul-Muad'Dib
I thought that Obi-Wan and Yoda would attack Palp and Vader shortly after the events of episode III, but lets leave that by the side. I still do not know the origins of the prophecy, if it origins from jedi legends it for sure means that balance to the force means only light, and in that case is totaly irrelevant to the sith. Why doesnt Vader know Leia is his daughter? I do not know, but more touching question for me is how Vader knows Luke is his son, or when does he realises that? Because firstly his comment is like: force is strong in this one, so i presume he doesnt know then yet. Well later Vader finds out about Leia anyway, so i guess its just a question of when he realises that.

kanis
alien Why didn't obi wan train luke when he able to instead of luke going with obi wan to alderaan and obi wan teaching luke the basics and how did luke continue his training with yoda instead of on his own.

Darth Piro
The prophecy did NOT come from legends, it has been written form the start of time.. It said that one woul come and bring balance to hte force, no body actually said it was a Jedi prophecy. Obi-Wan himself says this in hte book of Ep 3, he says 'Exactly, but nothing says he has to be a Jedi..' to padme in their apartment (A + P). So for all we know, hte prophecy could have been picked up by hte wrong folks

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.