iPhone the REAL DS Killer?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

WrathfulDwarf
From Forbes Magazine online:

Related links:

http://www.businessweek.com/innovate/gamesinc/archives/2008/03/iphone_the_dsps.html

http://www.screwattack.com/node/4359

btw- I don't have an iPhone...but I do have a nice Onyx DS Lite. big grin

Neo Darkhalen
the DS will still go strong even still.

WrathfulDwarf
I would say the PSP might the handheld that can be hurt by iPhone games....The DS is too much of beast right now.

@st
I have both, but I never play my DS, mainly because ill get in trouble at work. But I will start using apps on my phone at work. stick out tongue

But for most, the DS will continue to rule. lol

Neo Darkhalen
I have a PSP and a DS, what next iplay, igames?

WrathfulDwarf
iPoints (to compete with XBL points) 313

ESB -1138
The Nintendo DS has had a good run, too

A good run? The DS has sold over 70 million systems. That's a marathon run!!

And seriously; the iPhone is a DS killer? Wasn't the PSP suppose to be the DS killer?

Darth Vicious
Originally posted by ESB -1138
Wasn't the PSP suppose to be the DS killer?

I guess thats what they were hoping when it was first introduced. I guess same applied for the PS3 and even the 360 but Nintendo showed them whos the boss!

Smasandian
Havnt we learned yet?

Nintendo is king when it comes to handhelds. How many new fandangeled handhelds have come out and expect to beat up Game Boy, or DS? Alot, and they have all failed.

I expect the same with Iphone.

We heard the same thing every time. Either the opposing devices have better technology, or bigger base, or a ton of cash to back up the device and it all fails.

Nintendo just knows handhelds.

S_D_J
the iPhone it's such a piece of crap, you're better off buying an iPod Touch and a regular phone, it's cheaper that way, and you get a good phone service to boot...

anyways I doubt the iPhone can become a serious handheld console (remember the N-Gage?) the price tag is too high for a regular handheld. I'm surprised they're finally launching the SDK, but a few things have been noted about how much freedom developers actually have (typical).

... Now, what I'm waiting for is Apple trying to get a piece of the gaming business "pie", by launching their very own console

... the iGame... it must be coming soon...

Smasandian
Meh, they wont.

Not a smart business decision. Too much money to produce a console from scratch.

ragesRemorse
little kids would trade their mothers in for a new version of a handheld nintendo system.

Blax_Hydralisk
"Little" kids?

****. Peace, ma'.

Darth Vicious
Originally posted by Smasandian
Havnt we learned yet?

Nintendo is king when it comes to handhelds. How many new fandangeled handhelds have come out and expect to beat up Game Boy, or DS? Alot, and they have all failed.

I expect the same with Iphone.

We heard the same thing every time. Either the opposing devices have better technology, or bigger base, or a ton of cash to back up the device and it all fails.

Nintendo just knows handhelds.

I think the best chance they had was when the original Gameboy was introduced. That thing was like a brick, it hardly had any color and the games sucked(except for Tetris). If they survived that, they'll survive anything.

Besides, I rather buy a PS3 with than an Iphone.

ESB -1138
Originally posted by Darth Vicious
I think the best chance they had was when the original Gameboy was introduced. That thing was like a brick, it hardly had any color and the games sucked(except for Tetris). If they survived that, they'll survive anything.

And big thing still beat Sega's Gamegear which had color.

I guess a lot of people have failed to notice what makes a great gaming system; the games. Adds for the PSP have nothing to do with games, adds for the PS3 are leaning towards Blue-Ray, and now here's the iPhone: no games seen besides Super Monkey Ball and now everyone is calling it the DS killer.

Seriously the DS has a huge number of amazing games already and more to come and Nintendo actually puts focus on showing their games in their commericals.

ThoraxeRMG
As long as Pokemon exist, the DS will continue to run strong.

S_D_J
Originally posted by ESB -1138
And big thing still beat Sega's Gamegear which had color.

I guess a lot of people have failed to notice what makes a great gaming system; the games. Adds for the PSP have nothing to do with games, adds for the PS3 are leaning towards Blue-Ray, and now here's the iPhone: no games seen besides Super Monkey Ball and now everyone is calling it the DS killer.

Seriously the DS has a huge number of amazing games already and more to come and Nintendo actually puts focus on showing their games in their commericals.

I absolutely love Nintendo Commercials, they're prety well done

... and the only ones calling it the DS killer are business mags that know nothing about games... them and the ocassional iPod/Apple fanboy... let them go play with their iBrick

Neo Darkhalen
When it comes to games and games consoles Nintendo know what they are doing, i doubt the Iphone could "kill" them.

WrathfulDwarf
But could the iPhone beat the DS as far as PC games? If spore is coming to iPhone...others might follow.

Neo Darkhalen
yes it certainly is the catalog of games that measures up to the console, prime example is if we look at the PSP, it is superior to the DS in features but game wise it is lacking, which is one of the main reasons why it is failing to the DS, perhaps if the Iphone does steal some of Nintendo's games it make surpass the DS, however the cost of an iphone to a DS and Nintendo's exclusive catalog of games should be made clear that it would be a tough fight indeed.

Peach
Yeah I really doubt the iPhone will even beat the PSP for gaming, let alone the DS.

Neo Darkhalen
another thing to look at is Nintendo's experience in the field, they have been making there games/consoles a lot longer then apple have and for a further basis let's not forget the last time a mobile phone company tried to make a games console in a phone, the N-gage anyone?

ESB -1138
I want to know why so many people want to "kill" the DS. Seriously; I never had so much fun on a console before playing games like Mario, Sonic, Ninja Gaiden, Zelda, Metroid, and Star Fox.

Neo Darkhalen
I love my DS, it's got so many great games, most of which are easy to just pick up and play, which is what you essentially want from a handheld console.

Darth Vicious
I love my kids DS, lol. Zelda, Castlevania and Mario party games are the s**t!

Outbound
"The iPhone and the iPod Touch combine the touch-sensitive screen of a Nintendo DS with the motion sensitivity of the Nintendo Wii."

Apple.....always coming up with unique, original ideas.

WrathfulDwarf
Maybe Apple should come out with a new iDea?

ninja

Neo Darkhalen
laughing out loud

chithappens
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
But could the iPhone beat the DS as far as PC games? If spore is coming to iPhone...others might follow.

Spore isn't possible on a handheld... is it?

ESB -1138
Originally posted by chithappens
Spore isn't possible on a handheld... is it?

It's coming out for the Nintendo DS as well as the Xbox 360 so yeah it's possible.

WrathfulDwarf
I think the DS version is just the creature creator.

WrathfulDwarf
Here you folks....Apple has OFFICIALLY enter the hand held territory:

http://www.engadget.com/2008/12/12/apple-the-iphone-is-a-gaming-console/

Notice the article points to EA as the iPhones biggest supporter. So this means WAR!

DS
PSP
and iPhone

We'll see how this will play in the coming months.

Bardock42
I don~t think the iPhone can compete with the DS as a gaming platform.

General Kaliero
It's far too late to seriously challenge the DS as a handheld platform. It won the pocket-sized crown long ago. And the iPhone sold originally as a multimedia device, and then later Apple went "oh, and it can play games, too."

That's actually a pretty nice way to move a multimedia device into the gaming market, and perhaps something Sony should have considered. But unless it offers the same games for less, the iPhone isn't going to affect DS sales in any way.

Bardock42
Originally posted by General Kaliero
It's far too late to seriously challenge the DS as a handheld platform. It won the pocket-sized crown long ago. And the iPhone sold originally as a multimedia device, and then later Apple went "oh, and it can play games, too."

That's actually a pretty nice way to move a multimedia device into the gaming market, and perhaps something Sony should have considered. But unless it offers the same games for less, the iPhone isn't going to affect DS sales in any way.

I believe we see how both markets (handheld consoles, and mobile phoning devices) move closer to each other, while MP3 Players will likely just be absorbed into mobile phones within a relatively short period of time, the other seem to just move closer to an all purpose device. I wouldn't be surprised if the next generation of handhelds has phoning capabilities (or even likelier internet, which can be used as phone). Really, it seems like mobile phones and handheld gaming consoles will basically become mini pcs...(mobile phones you can already see it pretty clearly).

Not sure where I am going with that.

tracy
How to Find the Perfect Christmas Gift at convert-video-dvd

WrathfulDwarf
News after Christmas...

iPhone will be sold @ Wal-mart.

http://tech.yahoo.com/news/ap/20081226/ap_on_hi_te/wal_mart_iphone_1

Wal-Mart helped the Blu-ray to boost sales. Will the same happen to the iPhone?

*OOoooohhh!*

Ushgarak
Presumably when they say 'boost sales' they mean 'more than 100 worldwide". As it is not as if Blu-Ray is a massive success story.

WrathfulDwarf
Yeah, I do agree...but man! both Apple and Wal-Mart are making the iPhone look pretty interesting with the price tags.

http://tech.yahoo.com/news/nf/20081229/tc_nf/63743

Still, no official news how well did the iPhone sales were this past weekend. It's a loooong road for the iPhone in the handheld war...but they're willing to make the trip. I give'em props for trying....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.