Living or letting go.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Deja~vu
Let's say if you found out you had some fatal disease, would you go through radiation, chemotherapy and the like, or would you except that it is your time to go and deny treatment. Many people are afraid to die and would do anything to extend their lives. What about you all?

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Deja~vu
Let's say if you found out you had some fatal disease, would you go through radiation, chemotherapy and the like, or would you except that it is your time to go and deny treatment. Many people are afraid to die and would do anything to extend their lives. What about you all?

Who would fardels bear,
To grunt and sweat under a weary life,
But that the dread of something after death,
The undiscover'd country from whose bourn
No traveller returns, puzzles the will
And makes us rather bear those ills we have
Than fly to others that we know not of?
Thus conscience does make cowards of us all.

But more seriously: if there was a cure (even a painful one) I'd go through with it, if not I'd rather die on something like my own terms than have to live constantly in fear that I would miss a treatment and die.

Mindship
I have miles to go before I sleep.

Ergo: "To life! To life! L'chaim!..."

...though I'm sure I'd do plenty of moaning and crying if I had to go through painful treatment to stay the course.

En Sabah Nur X
I'd let go of everything and live in fear, like a scientist, not knowing what is to come. Of course as a longevity scientist I would take massive doses of resveratrol which seems to tell the body to turn the negative entropy, life on steroids and take back a good chunk of the sands of time, not all or you would be ageless, but enough to make it a serious choice.

As for other means, I would imagine my nightmares to keep me alive, and yeah I would take just about every treatment available to stay alive. The idea of living without a body, might somehow in some twisted and perverted way be true, but it is not my personal style, I'm a realist here.

Evil Dead
I'd say f-ck it, my time to go.

Selphie
I'd go through the treatment. If treatment was available, that means it's an option, so how could I just say it's my time to go, and basically give up?

Deja~vu
You'd be carved up like some holiday ham and who knows what else only to maybe live a few more years?

Why be afraid of leaving this body?

Selphie
You'd be carved up like some holiday ham and who knows what else only to maybe live a few more years?

Why be afraid of leaving this body?

I thought we were talking about radiation and chemotherapy, I mean, that is what you originally said. Carved up like some holiday ham? Now, you didn't mention that. And yeah, just to live a few more years, yeah, I would.

I'm not afraid of leaving this body. I just appreciate living.

svetlu
I think, I have to check all my debts, fix it and after that to go. And if i have any debts(financial or moral), I'd rather turn my feet to alternative medicine. But if I don't have debts, I will prefer to leave my body.

Deja~vu
Why the question of it all. Debts? Is that a means to an end?

And yes, the therapy would mean all types. If it would give you 6 months, a year? What would be your quality of life then. What would that do to your family. Are you thinking of them or you and why?

Would you leave them being THEIR care taker? Would you take them on?

OR would you let them go.

After you answer that...put yourself in those shoes.

Selphie

And yes, the therapy would mean all types. If it would give you 6 months, a year? What would be your quality of life then. What would that do to your family. Are you thinking of them or you and why?

Okay, during the therapy, which could last 6 months to a year, of course quality of life would be hard, very hard. But I'd find comfort in the thought, that there would be a possiblity that I could get better, rather than just giving up and thinking, "Oh, well I'm gonna die anyways."

What it would do to my family? Well, I don't have a family of my own, so the only thing that would affect anyone, would be my parents, and some relatives. And if I'm quite old when I'm affected with whatever sickness this may be, I obviously wouldn't have the older relatives around anymore, I'd be alone. So, I'd be thinking of myself, I guess you could say.

I don't want a family in the future, so it really wouldn't be an issue for me. But if my brother was still around, or maybe if he had children, I'd appreciate it if they helped me out spiritually, but otherwise, I wouldn't want to put them through any trouble, and continue a neutral relationship.

En Sabah Nur X

I only die for my cause, so long as my cause lives I live on even in death. I would do anything,anything, to stay alive to fight for my cause, I will kill for my nation, I will live for my world, I will die by my word through the sword, for a universe of meaning is all that I see.

jalek moye
i'd live as long as i have the posiblilty of a full recoverin and that i will have both working legs.

Atlantis001
If I have the possibility of surviving then I thats what I would want.

I didn't solved anything in my life to just.... let go.

Deja~vu
Okay, lets say your quality of life would go down dramatically. Would you still do it? If it gained you only one year or two, would you? Would you put your family though it? Why do self injury to yourself for a year or two?

Selphie
It'd be a worse self injury if you didn't do anything about the illness.

Even if my life was shit, a life if a terrible thing to waste. Yeah, I'd do it, even if it was only for a year or two. You can experience a lot in that period of time.

svetlu

After you answer that...put yourself in those shoes.
I beleave in my power to selfhiling. I have a lot experiences of that. I beleave i'll have enough will to struggle for my health. And I beleave to alternative medicine. It is really helpfull and works magically.

lil bitchiness

It is not just about extending your life, but about the quality of life. If my life's quality would be sagnificantly infringed by therapy marely to extend my life to a year or so more, then I would chose to die as it comes.
In a state which would make me dependant on such things is not something I would personaly want to through.

If there is a cure, I would consider it of course, but again depending on the state it will leave me in.

Atlantis001
Okay, lets say your quality of life would go down dramatically. Would you still do it? If it gained you only one year or two, would you? Would you put your family though it? Why do self injury to yourself for a year or two?

No I wouldn't then. I would let go if that was the case, but you would have a lot of things to think about and to solve in your life. Things that you idn't finish and dreams you never lived.

svetlu
hm... I think we calculate between pleasure and pain. How much pain can I take to have this much pleasure later? Pain of treatment for pleasure of life.

---
"All the changes are only in the perceivers." - Baruch Ashlag

Deja~vu
My reason for making this thread was to see if your cling to life is all you have in this life. THE ONLY THING IN THE TOTALLY REALM OF THINGS.

To me, to cling when it is not to the beneficial is a fearful feeling of leaving, unless you want to stay on for others. And in saying that, why would you want to stay on for others if you know that all will go on when you are gone and all will ge healed with them. Why struggle to just stay in a body so ravaged with decay and dying? To me, it doesn't make much since ...Unless there was some way it could all be reversed or overcome with certainly.

demon-lllama
My reason for making this thread was to see if your cling to life is all you have in this life. THE ONLY THING IN THE TOTALLY REALM OF THINGS.

To me, to cling when it is not to the beneficial is a fearful feeling of leaving, unless you want to stay on for others. And in saying that, why would you want to stay on for others if you know that all will go on when you are gone and all will ge healed with them. Why struggle to just stay in a body so ravaged with decay and dying? To me, it doesn't make much since ...Unless there was some way it could all be reversed or overcome with certainly. It depends on your situation.

I assume everyone would want treatment while they are still living and breathe some fresh air. I probably will not get anything like mono, though, because I always get enough sleep and vitamins.

I am not sure if I run a risk with low and high blood pressure, but I usually don't do anything about it.

I usually cling on things in life for their worth, mainly, and I prize intelligence and humanity in that regard. I see both levels of pain and intelligence nowaday. I prize things like the arts and structures of civilization over my personal life, as maybe most everyone does.

I am usually different in that I am really really brainy, perhaps, but also at the same time kind of geeky in the same fashion with looks.

ragesRemorse
this is depressing

leonheartmm

To me, to cling when it is not to the beneficial is a fearful feeling of leaving, unless you want to stay on for others. And in saying that, why would you want to stay on for others if you know that all will go on when you are gone and all will ge healed with them. Why struggle to just stay in a body so ravaged with decay and dying? To me, it doesn't make much since ...Unless there was some way it could all be reversed or overcome with certainly.

but to those who do not beleive in an immortal soul etc, and think that this life is all that there is, well, it makes sense to wanna be alive for as long as possible despite the pain, because the alternative seems worse{i.e. non existance}

Jack Daniels
I like life most of the time Im spoiled living a good life.....but I think it would depend on the pain involved...thats why I think people give up inside sometimes the pain of living is to much seen it many of family members who died one of which wasnt even physically sick anyways...if the pain was manageable I would cling to life...if not I think I would slip away...dont really know cause I havent been there

superr
I nursed my mother through a great deal of illness pain and treatment.She always had a great zest for life.
At age 82 she told me she had had enough,3 days later she was gone.
Great timing mum ,and i have no regrets.

Grand_Moff_Gav
I wouldnt put myself through the treatment

Blax_Hydralisk

I would fight it with everything I had.

Death is my greatest fear.

Jack Daniels
hey if we can afford to be on the internet we are spoiled....anyone who argues that is lame...dialup high speed doesnt matter ...anyone with any sense knows there are people dead from starvation...we are eating well me myself eating and drinking..lol..but admit it we all love life...if you had nothing then what would you fear to lose except pain and hunger....all those around you dead from disease and hunger etc...guess Im trying to lamely speak for those who cannot speak here who are suffering greatly....life holds its meaning differently depending on your situation? sound right? somethin like that?

Mandos
I say, we have one life to live, and all eternity to be dead. I'd take my chances with the treatment to help me live my life. God can wait a few years big grin .

Deja~vu
What if this life is only a small portion of what you could have?

Jack Daniels
hmm Id ask for another beer and think on it..lol...beer
seriously thats what I tell atheists...why risk it there could be more what does it hurt to have faith?

Mandos
What if this life is only a small portion of what you could have?

It's still something, isn't it.

Deja~vu
maybe like a grain of sand, but there could still be more.

Could it be that we are selfish in not wanting to go?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.