Leonidas v. Maximus

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

BruceSkywalker
I don't think it has been done. A t least I hope not. Anyway no prep time for either, they just start fighting in the middle of the Roman Coliseum. They have their respective weapons from their movies. Who wins this one on one battle?

WrathfulDwarf
Great Battle.

I like Lenonidas, but because this takes place in a Coliseum the edge goes to Maximus.

Impediment
What movie was Leonidas from?

WrathfulDwarf

Impediment
dur

I knew that.

Robtard
Because the Coliseum is special for Maximus how? Last time I checked, it was a flat and sand covered battle ground, I don't think that's going to impede Leonidas and/or boost Maximus.

Fighting prowess, they're about the same, both able to take on multiple opponents and win, though I feel Leonidas' opponents (Immortals) were probably stronger than anything Maximus faced. Leonidas has a spear, definite range advantage for him there. All in all, Leonidas wins this.

Bardock42
I'd also say Leonidas. He seems stronger on the whole, partly due to Gladiator trying to be more realistic, while 300 is supposed to be super badass.

Rogue Jedi
I think Maximus takes this one. Leonidas has the edge in power, but I think Maximus's speed will prevail.

ScarletSpeed
Leonidas peaches

Sparta...

Rogue Jedi
Is Maximus fighting in this scenario to avenge his families murder?

ragesRemorse
I like maximus and prefer gladiator to 300, but leonidas was protrayed as a borderline super human in 300. Although, Maximus was a general and he would actually be wearing body armor, but i dont that matters much when you consider Leonidas' history

Quiero Mota
Leonidas was actually completely armor-clad, but the movie showed him to be nearly nude.

I'm gonna go with Leonidas. I think killing 20,000 soldiers from Achemenid Persia in three days (the world's first superpower) is more impressive than killing slaves and animals in front of a roaring crowd. But history examines the fighting prowess of Spartans and Romans from a numbers perspective, since they both made a name for themselves by fighting in units. So a Spartan King and Roman General is pretty interesting; the doru has a longer reach than a gladius, and how many kings through out history can you think of that stepped on a front line, got their hands dirty, and then died a long side their troops. The commanders of WWI sent millions over the top to undoubtedly get killed by machine guns, and they did it from comfortable, clean bases miles away. Not Leonidas.

Placidity
What You Do in Life, Echoes for Eternity!

Tonight, We Dine in Hell!

Maximus for me... Just because he was fighting slaves etc, doesn't mean thats all he can do. Afterall he does commandeer the Roman army. Also, he killed the emperor after taking a fatal dose of poison. Well, I guess the emperor was a total pansy, but still...

WrathfulDwarf
Maximus did took on the previous Arena champion. And pwn3d his ass. 313

Robtard
Obviously you people did not understand that Leonidas in the movie was basically a superhero. It was more fantasy than reality.

Maximus was portrayed as just a very good fighter, but still within human performance range.

Combat_Guru
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf

I like Lenonidas, but because this takes place in a Coliseum the edge goes to Maximus.

Thats doesn't makes Almost as much sense as why you were chosen to be such a high mod.

Combat_Guru
Let me correct my sentence.

That makes almost as much sense as why you were chosen to be a universal moderator.

celestialdemon
This is a good battle. I think Leonidas wins this one. He seems like the more battle-hardened fighter.

Devil King
I'm gonna go with Maximus on this one. But, I'm affraid it has more to do with liking Gladiator and absolutely despising 300.

Mairuzu
No poll?

I'm going with Leonidas

although he did have a lot of backup

Bardock42
Originally posted by Devil King
I'm gonna go with Maximus on this one. But, I'm affraid it has more to do with liking Gladiator and absolutely despising 300. Also probably with being an idiot then.

Devil King
Originally posted by Bardock42
Also probably with being an idiot then.

Hey, I just don't like spending 2 hours watching a movie that would have been 15 minutes long if the whole damn thing wasn't in slow motion.

Combat_Guru
Hey, I just don't like spending 2 hours watching a movie that would have been 15 minutes long if the whole damn thing wasn't in slow motion.

I thought the first slow motion scene was pretty badass, it made me giggle a little, and when a fight scene does that to me, you know it's good.

Bardock42

I just watched Darkplace.

Still...enjoying Gladiator...I don't know...that is kinda pervers.

Devil King
I just watched Darkplace.

Still...enjoying Gladiator...I don't know...that is kinda pervers.

Perverse? You're the one that likes watching buff, ripped men wandering around in their underpants in slow motion for two hours. Drinking in every ripple and bulge, aren't you?

I'm unfamiliar with Darkplace.

Devil King
Originally posted by Combat_Guru
I thought the first slow motion scene was pretty badass, it made me giggle a little, and when a fight scene does that to me, you know it's good.

And more power to you. I know this isn't really a movie discussion thread, and I know a lot of people who enjoyed it. But 15 minutes into it, I just had to start rolling my eyes and huffing in disbelief that the whole damn thing was in slow motion! I kept waiting for the slow motion to end and it never did. It just dragged on and on, each mind-numbingly drawn out scene after another.

Combat_Guru
And more power to you. I know this isn't really a movie discussion thread, but I know a lot of people enjoyed it. But 15 minutes into it, I just had to start rolling my eyes and huffing in disbelief that the whole damn thing was in slow motion! I kept waiting for it to end and it never did. It just dragged on and on, each mind-numbingly drawn out scene after another.

Yeah the only time I thought the slow motion was good was the time it made me giggle, when he first stabbed the Persian with the spear, but after that, it got old......FAST.

I soon learned that there was no point to the movie.

Robtard
I'm gonna go with Maximus on this one. But, I'm affraid it has more to do with liking Gladiator and absolutely despising 300.

Well, at least you're honest with your bias.

So the visuals of 300 did nothing for you? (visuals = ripped sweaty men in loin-clothes)

Combat_Guru
Maximus would get speared down, he's a close combat fighter, not sword and shield.

Give Leonidas nothing but his sword, and Maximus uses armbars and trips to get a clean cut or amputation on the non armored Leonidas.

Devil King
Originally posted by Robtard
Well, at least you're honest with your bias.

So the visuals of 300 did nothing for you? (visuals = ripped sweaty men in loin-clothes)

No, you gotta have a face to go with the body before I'm interested.

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by Combat_Guru
Thats doesn't makes Almost as much sense as why you were chosen to be such a high mod.

Ahh...cute...

Combat_Guru
Ahh...cute...

Cute? More like a sad sad truth.

WrathfulDwarf
I could just pinch your cheeks!

Anywhoo....Maximus still my pick.

Combat_Guru
I could just pinch your cheeks!

Why thank you, I know I'm hot, but try not rub it in.

We know little guy, we know.

Mairuzu
ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!?

Combat_Guru
Originally posted by Mairuzu
ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!?

Am I not entertained? THIS IS SPARTAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!

Mairuzu
ha-son

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by Robtard
Obviously you people did not understand that Leonidas in the movie was basically a superhero. It was more fantasy than reality.

I noticed that, and also pointed out that he wasn't naked in real life. I say Leonidas wins for the reasons I already mentioned.

The coloring reminded me of What Dreams May Come, but the Battle of Thermopylae is just something astounding and amazing (especially if you're a military history buff like me). That's why I went to see it, and that why I enjoyed it.

One complaint I had though was the depictions of the Immortals. They didn't look like the serial killer from Srceam with football pads; that was way off.

No, you gotta have a face to go with the body before I'm interested.

So not one out of a line-up of 300 did it for you?...damn you're picky.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
Is Maximus fighting in this scenario to avenge his families murder?

Quiero Mota
Even if he is, so what? Thermopylae itself was an act vengence from the Persians, but it still didn't diminish Leonidas' abilities as a warrior. So I think it would be a non-issue.

Rogue Jedi
Just saying, I imagine Maximus was far more deadlier when he was fighting for revenge.

Quiero Mota
He'd be madder, but it still wouldn't give him an edge.

edit: This thread makes me wish that the History Forum was never closed. There were a hell of a lot of good hypothetical battles there.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
He'd be madder, but it still wouldn't give him an edge.

edit: This thread makes me wish that the History Forum was never closed. There were a hell of a lot of good hypothetical battles there. I always thought the only thing keeping Maximus standing so long at the end was to make sure he avenged his family.

Quiero Mota
That, and he was tough. So was Leonidas, who it took a dozen arrows to take him down. And that's how the real Leonidas died, too. On Day 3, when the Immortals surrounded the Greek camp, they picked off the remaining ~1,000 with arrows, because they were too smart/afraid to engage them in melee combat.

Now, I'm not trying to diminish Maximus at all, both excel at up-close-and-personal combat (not just them, but Greeks and Romans in general). This a good fight: Max with his gladius, and Leo with his xiphoi. They're both short swords designed to find gaps in plate-armor during an upward stroke. It would be long and vicious, but I think Leonidas would win.

Do you know what kept Leonidas alive for so long? His determination stall as long as he could to give Athens enough time to evacuate. Now, that's taking one for the team: dying for a bunch of strangers, who you really don't like that much for the greater good. Also, the Oracle had a lot to do with it.

Rogue Jedi
That, and he was tough. So was Leonidas, who it took a dozen arrows to take him down. And that's how the real Leonidas died, too. On Day 3, when the Immortals surrounded the Greek camp, they picked off the remaining ~1,000 with arrows, because they were too smart/afraid to engage them in melee combat.

Now, I'm not trying to diminish Maximus at all, both excel at up-close-and-personal combat (not just them, but Greeks and Romans in general). This a good fight: Max with his gladius, and Leo with his xiphoi. They're both short swords designed to find gaps in plate-armor during an upward stroke. It would be long and vicious, but I think Leonidas would win.

Do you know what kept Leonidas alive for so long? His determination stall as long as he could to give Athens enough time to evacuate. Now, that's taking one for the team: dying for a bunch of strangers, who you really don't like that much for the greater good. Also, the Oracle had a lot to do with it. I cat wait for God of War to be a movie. Kratos vs Leonidas. rock

Quiero Mota
I cat wait for God of War to be a movie. Kratos vs Leonidas. rock

There's gonna be a movie about Ares?

And considering that Kratos was half divine, it doesn't seem very fair.

Rogue Jedi
Kratos wasnt always half divine, was he?

Devil King
So not one out of a line-up of 300 did it for you?...damn you're picky.

I seem to recall liking one guy.

But not once did your stomach turn in disgust over the non-stop slow motion? The endless, needless, non-stop, scene-extending madness never made you question why you were born and lived your life in such a way that led you to that moment in time where you found yourself watching this bastard of a movie?

History buff, huh? Well, I can't recall a single battle in history that took place in slow motion. Just because it was based on a graphic novel doesn't mean that what takes pace on the screen has to happen as quickly as a panel from the comic. And if that was done to please Frank Miller, then Frank Miller needs to pull that stick out of his own ass.

Rogue Jedi

But not once did your stomach turn in disgust over the non-stop slow motion? The endless, needless, non-stop, scene-extending madness never made you question why you were born and lived your life in such a way that led you to that moment in time where you found yourself watching this bastard of a movie?

History buff, huh? Well, I can't recall a single battle in history that took place in slow motion. Just because it was based on a graphic novel doesn't mean that what takes pace on the screen has to happen as quickly as a panel from the comic. And if that was done to please Frank Miller, then Frank Miller needs to pull that stick out of his own ass. I recall people leaving the theater awed by the cinematography, especially the battle scenes.

Didnt affect me one way or the other, just saying.

Bardock42
I like Slow Motion. Endless, action based, slow motion.

I suppose I'd be annoyed with "eating dinner" and "riding the subway" slow motion.

Rogue Jedi
I like shootout scenes in slow motion, where you can the guns slide moving back and forth, and bullet casings bouncing around.

Devil King
I like Slow Motion. Endless, action based, slow motion.

I suppose I'd be annoyed with "eating dinner" and "riding the subway" slow motion.

Yeah? Well, this movie was only a few generations off from that. If the Spartans had a subway, I can assure you this movie would have them riding it in slow motion. They would have boarded in slow motion, they would have stood clear of the doors in slow motion. "Next stop, embarcadero station" would have been in slow motion.

He had to touch his wife in slow motion, he had to **** her in slow motion, he had to grow up in slow motion, he had to scratch his ass in slow motion, they battled in slow motion, they thought in slow motion, the oracle had to dance in slow motion, they dropped the persian coins in slow motion, they addressed the senate in slow motion, they died in slow motion, they killed the persian messenger in slow motion, they ate in slow motion, they marched in slow motion, the hunchback followed them in slow motion, his wife handed him the lock of her hair in slow motion! Get my point? For ****'s sake, the credits were the most fast-paced things in this damn movie.

Bardock42
Yeah? Well, this movie was only a few generations off from that. If the Spartans had a subway, I can assure you this movie would have them riding it in slow motion. They would have boarded in slow motion, they would have stood clear of the doors in slow motion. "Next stop, embarcadero station" would have been in slow motion.

He had to touch his wife in slow motion, he had to **** her in slow motion, he had to grow up in slow motion, he had to scratch his ass in slow motion, they battled in slow motion, they thought in slow motion, the oracle had to dance in slow motion, they dropped the persian coins in slow motion, they addressed the senate in slow motion, they died in slow motion, they killed the persian messenger in slow motion, they ate in slow motion, they marched in slow motion, the hunchback followed them in slow motion, his wife handed him the lock of her hair in slow motion! Get my point? For ****'s sake, the credits were the most fast-paced things in this damn movie.

I think we might have had a different movie experience.

I seem to remember that only scenes I would enjoy to be in slow motion were slow motion, like half naked girls dancing and half naked men fighting.

WrathfulDwarf
Just because it was based on a graphic novel doesn't mean that what takes pace on the screen has to happen as quickly as a panel from the comic. And if that was done to please Frank Miller, then Frank Miller needs to pull that stick out of his own ass.

See Sin City.

Rogue Jedi

See Sin City. yes

Devil King
I think we might have had a different movie experience.

If you didn't walk out of the theater wishing you could have your money back, as well as those 2 hours of your life, as well as wanting to hurt someone out of frustration, then I am certain we had different movie experiences.

Devil King

See Sin City.

I have, and I enjoyd it very much. but the whole damn thing wasn't in slow motion. And the endnote and theme surrounding all of his movies is what they had to do to please him so they could tell his story. And if this abortion of a movie was such to please him, then perhaps he shoulldn't be pandered to.

Rogue Jedi
If you didn't walk out of the theater wishing you could have your money back, as well as those 2 hours of your life, as well as wanting to hurt someone out of frustration, then I am certain we had different movie experiences. I saw it for free.

Devil King
I saw it for free.

Well, I'm sure you win at life, but that doesn't change the fact that it was a waste of time and money in my life.

WrathfulDwarf
I have, and I enjoyd it very much. but the whole damn thing wasn't in slow motion. And the endnote and theme surrounding all of his movies is what they had to do to please him so they could tell his story. And if this abortion of a movie was such to please him, then perhaps he shoulldn't be pandered to.

That's because it was done with different directors. Different styles, and also Frank wasn't as involved in the project like he did in Sin City. If they want to please Frank Miller like they did in Sin City...heck! why not? You clearly see the difference.

Bardock42
Also probably because they made 3 comics into one movie.

celestialdemon
I hated the slow motion that was done in 300. There were parts where it was effective, but it sucked when it was slowed down then sped up during the battle scenes. If Zach Snyder does that during The Watchmen, I swear I will track him down and beat the sh*t out of him.

Bardock42
Originally posted by celestialdemon
I hated the slow motion that was done in 300. There were parts where it was effective, but it sucked when it was slowed down then sped up during the battle scenes. If Zach Snyder does that during The Watchmen, I swear I will track him down and beat the sh*t out of him. It wouldn't work for Watchmen at all, I think.

Alpha Centauri
300 is about a page long, also.

They had to extend it.

-AC

Rogue Jedi
Well, I'm sure you win at life, but that doesn't change the fact that it was a waste of time and money in my life. Even if I had paid, I would have left the theater not feeling cheated.

Quiero Mota

I agree with that. There were too many slo-mo's, in fact it was more painful than King Kong. That's why my favorite scene was the first wave. The only slo-mo there was, was when they were charging the Greek camp. But the battle itself had no slow scenes, and was tactically accurate.

Oh, and the Persians unleashed the arrow shower before the first wave.

History buff, huh? Well, I can't recall a single battle in history that took place in slow motion. Just because it was based on a graphic novel doesn't mean that what takes pace on the screen has to happen as quickly as a panel from the comic. And if that was done to please Frank Miller, then Frank Miller needs to pull that stick out of his own ass.

Historically there was a lot wrong with the movie. The Spartans weren't naked, the Immortals didn't look like that, Xerxes didn't look like that, Ephialtes didn't look like that, the Greeks didn't build a wall of corpses, and the Persians didn't have any elephants or rhinos.

I can't decide what was more absurd: the fact that they had a rhino, or the fact that the dumb animal with poor eyesight actually knew which humans to attack.

Rogue Jedi
I agree with that. There were too many slo-mo's, in fact it was more painful than King Kong. That's why my favorite scene was the first wave. The only slo-mo there was, was when they were charging the Greek camp. But the battle itself had no slow scenes, and was tactically accurate.

Oh, and the Persians unleashed the arrow shower before the first wave.

Historically there was a lot wrong with the movie. The Spartans weren't naked, the Immortals didn't look like that, Xerxes didn't look like that, Ephialtes didn't look like that, the Greeks didn't build a wall of corpses, and the Persians didn't have any elephants or rhinos.

I can't decide what was more absurd: the fact that they had a rhino, or the fact that the dumb animal with poor eyesight actually knew which humans to attack. Rhino LASIK surgery? laughing out loud

Alpha Centauri
It wasn't actually meant to be historically accurate, really.

Just "This battle happened, we're gonna make a movie based on the novel that was based loosely on it.".

What historically accurate movies from that age ARE there?

-AC

Devil King
That's because it was done with different directors. Different styles, and also Frank wasn't as involved in the project like he did in Sin City. If they want to please Frank Miller like they did in Sin City...heck! why not? You clearly see the difference.

Well, then he needed to speak up before this movie made it to theaters. Of course, he might have watched the movie and fallen into a coma before he could complain.

gobstakid777
"THIS.IS.ME.LOSING.TO.MAXIMUS!!!!"

Darth Martin
Leonidas wins quite handily.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.