Tim Russert Died.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

WrathfulDwarf
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/obit_russert

chithappens
Just out of curiousity, what was the last thing he talked about before this happened?

sithsaber408
R Kelly was found not guilty.

A crappy day all around.

RIP to Mr. Russert, as Brokaw said: "A clear, strong voice that will be missed."

WrathfulDwarf
No one said it better than Tim. What a shame...

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
No one said it better than Tim. What a shame...

I agree

Blax_Hydralisk
Originally posted by sithsaber408

Was he?

That's awesome.

Devil King
I am always confused with this use of the term "untimely". Like there's ever a good time to die?

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Devil King
I am always confused with this use of the term "untimely". Like there's ever a good time to die?

I know what you mean, but I think they were talking about the fact he was only 58.

smoker4
Originally posted by sithsaber408

Geezer

http://youtube.com/watch?v=is-I-OnDqpI

Schecter
ur doing it rong stick out tongue

is-I-OnDqpI

if you are a klingon, definately.

Devil King
Originally posted by Schecter
if you are a klingon, definately.

Well, that's true. Since the only good Klingon is a dead Klingon, it's always a good time.

Symmetric Chaos

Technically untimely can be used to mean premature. But do I know what you mean.

Robtard
Well, that's true. Since the only good Klingon is a dead Klingon, it's always a good time.

If I were a Klingon, I'd resent that.

Devil King
Folks, I'm not literally confused by the term.

Devil King
Originally posted by Robtard
If I were a Klingon, I'd resent that.

If you were a Klingon, I'd resent you.

Robtard
By the look of Tim's cheeks, he probably had a larger than 34 inch waist, I think the Japanese are on to something here.

Robtard
If you were a Klingon, I'd resent you.

If I were a Klingon, you'd be a Vulcan and resent is illogical.

Deja~vu
We all die. Yet, I wish him the best where ever he might me.

Devil King
Originally posted by Robtard
If I were a Klingon, you'd be a Vulcan and resent is illogical.

Let Ush be the Vulcan. I'll be a Romulan and resentment being illogical won't matter.

Schecter
ok about tim russert. i feel that as a journalist he was an overrated hack who enabled the recent campaign of government propaganda. with that said i suspect he was a maybe decent guy who really didnt realise the ramifications of his 'just doing what they told me' mentallity. its a shame he died so untimely (not for a klingon, but still)

Originally posted by Deja~vu
We all die. Yet, I wish him the best where ever he might me.

he's dead

Deja~vu
Duh...schecter.....

Hmmm, too many "Hits?"...

I already stated that the after life if it would come to that.

Schecter
Duh...schecter.....

Hmmm, too many "Hits?"...

I already stated that the after life if it would come to that.

stfu and bake be some cookies.

BackFire
No, be.

Devil King
Look, Tim Russert dying is what it is. But for the entire naitional media to treat this event as they did 9/11, with their dramatic music and somber commentary, only serves to illustrate the stupidity of American political coverage. Yes, I feel bad for his kid. Yes, I feel bad for a person I watched often. I feel something, but I also question the media circus over his death. How self-agrandizing! The story of his death is propogated as a national tragedy. But that should be a second level story to him being a newscaster. Him supposing that the story of politics should be the focus of the report over the opprotunity to do so! What actual newsworthy event is being covered by his death? If he's so reputable, then his memory is being raped by him overtaking the coverage of actual news.

How about more coverage of press conferences and town-hall meetings? How about more coverage of C-SPAN; illustrating that 10 out of 100 senate members actually show up? Don't be distracted that by him dropping dead as though it should be a valid distraction of your elected constituancy doing not one god damn thing to further your goals! Tim Russert was a letch that profitted from an acceptance of the status quo. He failed the very people that he supposed to serve and champion.

So, while I liked the man, I cn observe his failure to see and respnd to anything substantial.

Quiero Mota
Look, Tim Russert dying is what it is. But for the entire naitional media to treat this event as they did 9/11, with their dramatic music and somber commentary, only serves to illustrate the stupidity of American political coverage.

Because the people reporting it did the same thing he did for a living, so they're going out of their way for one of their brethren. He's getting more tributes than Heath Ledger, Merv Griffith, or Sydney Pollack did.

Tim Russert was a letch that profitted from an acceptance of the status quo.

Leach?

xmarksthespot
Sichuan earthquake. Burmese flood. NBC newscaster?

smoker4
ur doing it rong stick out tongue

is-I-OnDqpI

f**k you Pesci
love

chithappens
Look, Tim Russert dying is what it is. But for the entire naitional media to treat this event as they did 9/11, with their dramatic music and somber commentary, only serves to illustrate the stupidity of American political coverage. Yes, I feel bad for his kid. Yes, I feel bad for a person I watched often. I feel something, but I also question the media circus over his death. How self-agrandizing! The story of his death is propogated as a national tragedy. But that should be a second level story to him being a newscaster. Him supposing that the story of politics should be the focus of the report over the opprotunity to do so! What actual newsworthy event is being covered by his death? If he's so reputable, then his memory is being raped by him overtaking the coverage of actual news.

How about more coverage of press conferences and town-hall meetings? How about more coverage of C-SPAN; illustrating that 10 out of 100 senate members actually show up? Don't be distracted that by him dropping dead as though it should be a valid distraction of your elected constituancy doing not one god damn thing to further your goals! Tim Russert was a letch that profitted from an acceptance of the status quo. He failed the very people that he supposed to serve and champion.

So, while I liked the man, I cn observe his failure to see and respnd to anything substantial.

1) Slow news day

2) I think he was killed. But that's just me.

Devil King
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
Leach?

No, letch.

Originally posted by xmarksthespot
Sichuan earthquake.

75,000 people

Burmese flood.

100,000 people

NBC newscaster?

priceless

Robtard
Because it will sell better in America. If some popular personality died in Spain, they would cover it more than they would the floods going on in Iowa. Why? Because the first story would sell better to the Spanish public than Americans drowning or being left homeless. $$$

Quiero Mota
His funeral is on all the major news outlets right now. Both McCain and Obama attended his funeral. Bush was in France on his Farewell Euro Tour when he heard the news, and actually assmebled a press conference to give a eulogy, when he could've just told a reporter in passing "I send my condolences" and walked on. I can't believe it; they're treating a news personality like he was a former president.

Schecter
qZWboOxhnpo

xmarksthespot
Technically the person who wrote that is second-hand politicizing the death as well.

I didn't actually know who Tim Russert was before he died.

Schecter
Technically the person who wrote that is second-hand politicizing the death as well.

I didn't actually know who Tim Russert was before he died.

well if the technicallity is absolute then you're forth-handedly politicizing it by debating a suspicion of it being politically motivated, from my third-handed reference.

point is we speak it on an internet forum, they spoke it on a political blog, and this guy spoke it in place of a proper eulogy, since a 'bill to honor _____' is essentially an unofficial congressional funeral ceremony.

i fail to see how pointing out a tasteless and obnoxiously disrespectful act is politicizing.

Deja~vu
yeah, yeah...like your life...

I find you equally distasteful...but that is for another time. DARLING.

Schecter

hmm, random member bashing

chill was wrong. you are a hypocrite as well as a retard.

=Tired Hiker=

Town hall meetings are overrated. Most of the people who make public comments are usually more off topic that the OTF. Plus, what town hall meetings should the news cover nationally? If they focus on one then they better focus on them all. Yeah, a news guy died, of course it's going to be covered with extra attention. Have you ever been to a fire fighter's funeral, or a cops? It's the best time to start a fire or commit a crime since every single one of them is at the funeral. Like I say, if you don't like the news, turn it off.

xmarksthespot
well if the technicallity is absolute then you're forth-handedly politicizing it by debating a suspicion of it being politically motivated, from my third-handed reference.

point is we speak it on an internet forum, they spoke it on a political blog, and this guy spoke it in place of a proper eulogy, since a 'bill to honor _____' is essentially an unofficial congressional funeral ceremony.

i fail to see how pointing out a tasteless and obnoxiously disrespectful act is politicizing. I fail to see how a politician politicizing an event is particularly shocking to you. Politicians politicize deaths every day, whether it's a news anchor I've never heard of, a braindead woman on life support or a statistic of soldiers and civilians.

I'm not naive enough to think that Bush, McCain or Obama, or any of the members of Congress actually have genuine emotion for someone they met every now and then and aren't just all espousing platitudinous sympathetic soundbites and wasting taxpayer money passing pointless resolutions out of political necessity - any more so than people on these forums who rather inanely post "RIP" as if it means anything in threads about celebrity deaths, be it some news anchor I've never heard of, the Crocodile Hunter or Anna Nicole Smith.

This guy took it a level further in tasteless fashion by tying it to a public issue - but again this isn't exactly uncommon. Yes, shameless and stupid, but still not that extraordinary... BFD?

Deja~vu
hmm, random member bashing

chill was wrong. you are a hypocrite as well as a retard.

hypocrite? Me living in the suburbs of Detroit? HAHAHHA

*tay cookies for you my groupie//points to dentures*

Deja~vu
Why don't you strangle on that slang of yours.............lol

LOL

Me teasing.

Cut it out...........you're pissing off an Italian!

A real one!!! Jeuuuesssrrwwry............damn crap

Schecter
I fail to see how a politician politicizing an event is particularly shocking to you.

thats great since i never said i was shocked. i said it was obnoxiously disrespectful.

I'm not naive enough to think that Bush, McCain or Obama, or any of the members of Congress actually have genuine emotion for someone they met every now and then and aren't just all espousing platitudinous sympathetic soundbites out of political necessity

havent you ever gone to a funeral for someone who barely knew? maybe just didnt even care about?
is that the same as disrespecting it with rude and irrelevant outburts?

- any more so than people on these forums who rather inanely post "RIP" as if it means anything in threads about celebrity deaths, be it some news anchor I've never heard of, the Crocodile Hunter or Anna Nicole Smith.

yes, but again, you seem to be either very charged blind by this issue, or are trying to make it out to be some common practice for a congressional memorial service, which it factually isnt.

Deja~vu
LOL

xmarksthespot
thats great since i never said i was shocked. i said it was obnoxiously disrespectful.

havent you ever gone to a funeral for someone who barely knew? maybe just didnt even care about?
is that the same as disrespecting it with rude and irrelevant outburts?

yes, but again, you seem to be either very charged blind by this issue, or are trying to make it out to be some common practice for a congressional memorial service, which it factually isnt. Erratum then, not shock but clearly some level of outrage.

No, I don't tend to go to strangers funerals. Why would I? I don't consider this a funeral, it seems more like a House of Representatives collectively (wasting taxpayer money) to feign sympathy for political purposes in general, with one idiot exploiting the opportunity further to promote an issue.

Politicians exploit 9/11, politicians exploit beheadings, politicians exploit school shootings. Politicians exploit.

I don't really see how this passes for interesting news, although nor for that matter do I see a need for this thread at all. And I don't know what "charged blind" means, but I don't see why you're going attack dog on me, I'm not condoning the politicizing it's just my general disdain for public fake mourning of celebrities leads me to not really care enough to... care.

Toku King

LOL

Me teasing.

And this is why people commit suicide.

Schecter
i think your case here is based on an assumption that i find this more distasteful than other grand and disgusting exploitations of tragedy. but i never said it was.

I don't know what "charged blind" means, but my general disdain for public fake mourning of celebrities leads me to not really care enough to... care.

by "charged" i mean the passion of your "disdain for public fake mourning of celebrities" is clear.

your opinion that 'its no big deal because the whole thing sucks anyway' doesnt change my opinion on my post's relevancy and interest.

Deja~vu
Originally posted by Toku King
And this is why people commit suicide. Don't take much, does it. HAHAHAHA... laughing out loud

Selphie
Don't take much, does it. HAHAHAHA... laughing out loud

Proud? sad

xmarksthespot
i think your case here is based on an assumption that i find this more distasteful than other grand and disgusting exploitations of tragedy. but i never said it was.

by "charged" i mean the passion of your "disdain for public fake mourning of celebrities" is clear.

your opinion that 'its no big deal because the whole thing sucks anyway' doesnt change my opinion on my post's relevancy and interest. By saying I don't think this is an irregularity or more distasteful than usual, I'm not trying to imply you do think so. I'm just elaborating on the rationale of my apathy. Imo there are far more pertinent things to attack the Republicans on than some idiot congressman's lack of tact amid an already overblown media circus around one man's death.

BackFire
Don't worry, they're being attacked for those things too.

Schecter
Imo there are far more pertinent things to attack the Republicans on

and there it is. now its partisan.

red g jacks
RIP

Toku King
Don't take much, does it. HAHAHAHA... laughing out loud

Sure. That's what it is. no expression

WrathfulDwarf

LOL

Me teasing.

hypocrite? Me living in the suburbs of Detroit? HAHAHHA

*tay cookies for you my groupie//points to dentures*

*Turns the light off*

Tim was buried today.

As red g jacks said...R.I.P.

Schecter
http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/06/18/russert.memorial.ap/index.html

xmarksthespot
and there it is. now its partisan. It was partisan before you even posted it here. Whatever blogger wrote that would not have had it been about someone doing the same but with a complementary agenda, nor do I think you would have posted it here. I don't really see anything wrong with that, but don't peg it on me with "now it's partisan."

Schecter
It was partisan before you even posted it here. Whatever blogger wrote that would not have had it been about someone doing the same but with a complementary agenda, nor do I think you would have posted it here. I don't really see anything wrong with that, but don't peg it on me with "now it's partisan."

im glad you dont see anything wrong with a baseless assumption which you alone chose to tag on me, along with the subtle accusation that i am a hypocrite. how reasonable of you.

xmarksthespot
You really don't need to take everything as an attack.

You implied I made partisan something you got from an already clearly partisan left-wing blog. (I'm not sure if it was also meant to imply that I'm defending it out of right-wing partisanship, despite that I already made clear I'm not defending it, but I don't particularly care either way about it considering I think it's not exactly an irregularity and despite that I've never particularly been fond of the right-wing.) But my commenting on that, in my view, unfair assessment has apparently elicited passive aggressive sarcasm.

If my "baseless assumption" - that given similar scenarios people are less inclined to critique a politician of similar affiliations or positions to themselves - doesn't apply to you, then I apologize.

Schecter
nor do I think you would have posted it here."

it was an unwarranted implication.

apart from that i'll assume your apology is sincere and accept it.

Devil King
Originally posted by =Tired Hiker=
Town hall meetings are overrated. Most of the people who make public comments are usually more off topic that the OTF. Plus, what town hall meetings should the news cover nationally? If they focus on one then they better focus on them all. Yeah, a news guy died, of course it's going to be covered with extra attention. Have you ever been to a fire fighter's funeral, or a cops? It's the best time to start a fire or commit a crime since every single one of them is at the funeral. Like I say, if you don't like the news, turn it off.

It's just an example. Point being, there are many other things that are worth covering, than one guys death for a week solid. And not only covering it, but acting like it's a national tragedy. Somber music and bells tolling on the major news networks everytime they flash his picture. Like I said, I liked the guy and watchd him a lot; but certainly there were other things happening in the country

And that's exactly what I did after 3 days. I turned it off.

Deja~vu
*Eats humble pie* eat

Who reported meeeeeeeeee... sad

Schecter
tim russert

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.