Are we aliens?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

AngryManatee
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25148774/&GT1=43001

So it's not just illegal immigrants.

Darth Macabre
Panspermia and exogenisis are nothing new.

Toku King
Actually, that's really cool. I'm ET!

But have they looked at the possibility that life was simulated from earth?

Zeal Ex Nihilo
Originally posted by AngryManatee
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25148774/&GT1=43001

So it's not just illegal immigrants.
No, we're not all aliens. These science articles constantly overstate the findings of the research, making it appear as OMGTHENEXTBIGTHING. In reality, it's the same-old stuff that's already existed.

Seriously, look up all the theories on the origin of life. Then compare them to this article, which makes it seem as though the theory is correct. (Even with the little disclaimer, the opening lines give it quite a strong slant.)

Toku King
Originally posted by Zeal Ex Nihilo
No, we're not all aliens. These science articles constantly overstate the findings of the research, making it appear as OMGTHENEXTBIGTHING. In reality, it's the same-old stuff that's already existed.

Seriously, look up all the theories on the origin of life. Then compare them to this article, which makes it seem as though the theory is correct. (Even with the little disclaimer, the opening lines give it quite a strong slant.)

So the scientologists were right?

Zeal Ex Nihilo
Originally posted by Toku King
So the scientologists were right?
...Yes. Tom Cruise not only knows the meaning of life, but he has the secret to life.

GCG
I thought science and space were related?

Mindship
We're starstuff.

DigiMark007
It just depends on where you draw the line for "alien."

As Mindship implies, everything on earth, including the earth itself, is made from elements forged in the hearts of dying stars, the only places hot enough to produce any but the most basic elements. In that sense, everything is "alien."

Stray molecules on asteroid and meteors has also been known for decades, and is one among various other theories of how basic life originated on earth. It's not outlandish, but asterois crashing into earth to spark life billions of years ago hardly counts as alien in most usages of the word.

To me, it's just a mis-label in order to create a distinction. We live in a universe, which is a unified system. It created life through natural causes. To differentiate between "earth" and "anything but earth" is to create a needless distinction.

Bicnarok
Everything originated in space, because everything is in space.

We cannot determine what came from unless we have biological mater from outer space.

botankus
According to Indiana Jones and his crystal skull, yes.

brocklanders
their treasure was knowledge

Toku King
Xenu's behind this!
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/69/Xenu_nip-tuck.jpg

Zeal Ex Nihilo
Xenu's behind this!
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/69/Xenu_nip-tuck.jpg
You're so dumb that it hurts.

Toku King

Coming from the guy who doesn't know what sarcasm is.

Bicnarok

I say dear chap, no need for that blatant unprovoked attack eh smokin'

Zeal Ex Nihilo
Coming from the guy who doesn't know what sarcasm is.
sar-casm
1. harsh or bitter derision or irony.
2. a sharply ironical taunt; sneering or cutting remark: a review full of sarcasms.
3. Something you fail at.

Toku King
sar-casm
1. harsh or bitter derision or irony.
2. a sharply ironical taunt; sneering or cutting remark: a review full of sarcasms.
3. Something you fail at.

Yes, because nothing says clever like fake definitions. Maybe you won't seem as insignificant to the rest of the world now. I doubt it, though.

Zeal Ex Nihilo
Yes, because nothing says clever like fake definitions. Maybe you won't seem as insignificant to the rest of the world now. I doubt it, though.
This coming from you brings a smile to my face. Go out, little one. The world is yours for the taking.

Toku King
This coming from you brings a smile to my face. Go out, little one. The world is yours for the taking.

Only took you an hour to respond. New record.

inimalist
Originally posted by DigiMark007
It just depends on where you draw the line for "alien."

As Mindship implies, everything on earth, including the earth itself, is made from elements forged in the hearts of dying stars, the only places hot enough to produce any but the most basic elements. In that sense, everything is "alien."

Stray molecules on asteroid and meteors has also been known for decades, and is one among various other theories of how basic life originated on earth. It's not outlandish, but asterois crashing into earth to spark life billions of years ago hardly counts as alien in most usages of the word.

To me, it's just a mis-label in order to create a distinction. We live in a universe, which is a unified system. It created life through natural causes. To differentiate between "earth" and "anything but earth" is to create a needless distinction.

thumb up

Zeal Ex Nihilo
Only took you an hour to respond. New record.
It's comforting to know that you're timing my responses, desperately hitting the refresh button on your browser, just hoping that I'll have replied so that you can post a response brimming with barely-contained, poorly-disguised e-rage, sadness, and fail.

I'm thinking of another definition for you, Toku King. It starts with "p" and ends with "athetic." Can you guess what the word is?

Toku King
It's comforting to know that you're timing my responses

Either that or, well, looking at the post time on top of each post after you post it. It's not that hard. I'd say that a five year old could do it, but you apparently couldn't.

Oh wow. You sure got me with that one. That was just so clever. I think my life is over because of that incredible reply. Einstein must be going "BRILLIANT!" right now in his grave.
Or, you know, it was absolutely stupid, and there's a reason why you pump gas for a living.

Zeal Ex Nihilo
Either that or, well, looking at the post time on top of each post after you post it. It's not that hard. I'd say that a five year old could do it, but you apparently couldn't.
Yet you were keeping track. That's cute, trying to make it seem like I'm dumb instead of you being weird and stalker-ish.

Uh-oh, I see someone's mad that the gas-pumper isn't living on minimum wage like he is!

Toku King
Yet you were keeping track. That's cute, trying to make it seem like I'm dumb instead of you being weird and stalker-ish.

That's about as much of keeping track as an elephant is blue. And I might have to spell it out for you, but elephants aren't blue. I don't want your brain to break trying to figure that out.

How does that make me mad, exactly? Oh wait! I forgot that you're so desperate to sound clever, that you're willing to say anything at this point. Poor thing.

DigiMark007
Guys. Shut up. I thought the Xenu thing was kinda funny.

And beyond that, I'll report you both for spam if it continues.

Deja~vu
Can I join in?

A Dose Of Vraya
If our origins are indeed from another planet, we probably destroyed it then came here and now we're going to destroy earth and go somewhere else. The whole human race is a common sci fi villain!

Toku King
Originally posted by DigiMark007
Guys. Shut up.

He started it. tommyface

Thank you.

Fine. I'll quit. Sorry everyone.

Toku King
Originally posted by Deja~vu
Can I join in?

Bring it, Motha Trucka! arrrgh

Toku King
Originally posted by A Dose Of Vraya
If our origins are indeed from another planet, we probably destroyed it then came here and now we're going to destroy earth and go somewhere else. The whole human race is a common sci fi villain!

I wish we looked cooler then. Those dudes from "Independence Day" were awesome. Oh! I wanna be a Legion from "Gamera 2"!

A Dose Of Vraya
yeah, humans look ****in' lame

CaptainStoic
Are we aliens?

No.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by AngryManatee

Are we aliens? To other aliens we are. We're extraterrestrial life to them..

But to answer your question: Perhaps. Earth and the amoeba may've just happened upon each other when our galaxy was a true primordial soup. When it was completely unestablished during it's embryonic stages. Meaning when they/things were separate, as everything elses was, at first.

My take.

Jedireaper
Earth might have been seeded by Aliens. As such humans could have been an experiment, Earth was our test. So far, in our short time, we have failed. Well I think anyway. big grin

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by Jedireaper
Earth might have been seeded by Aliens. As such humans could have been an experiment, Earth was our test. So far, in our short time, we have failed. Well I think anyway. big grin

There was a film that came out a few years ago that touched on that. With the guy at the end choosing to leave for an alien galaxy at the end instead of ging back to Earth with his fellow comrades. Something "Mars". I forget the title.

But as a species, maybe we have failed & maybe not, in comparison to others in the biological galactic community (if it exist). But who knows?

I watched this movie yesterday that i used to watch as a kid called "Starman". It was an excellent movie which is why i watched it so much way back.

The main guy was an alien cloned as a human that got our/S.E.T.I's invite sent out in some satellite voyager years ago. Then upon the alien leaving Earth for his star system he kindly goes "Out of all the species my kind has encountered in the galaxy, and there are many out there, we think humans are the most interesting of all of them. Know why? Because your species is at it's best when it's at it's worse." I think he meant perseverence-wise. Meaning we never give up. Now matter how much hell we go through. Our willingness to get up and strive and move upward and onward even if it costs us again until well succeed and we still go beyond that.

I liked the part where the lady asked him what was his world like and he softly said "We are one people. We all have the same law. We have no wars, disease, hunger, or poverty."

They fall in love, and at the end she cries and say "take me with you." as he's about to ascend to his mothership and he says "no, you will die there." and she says "i don't care." and he says "i do." Great movie, man.

"Contact" was really good too, with Jodie Foster.

Jedireaper
The movie your thinking off was called "Mission to Mars" which I think is one of the best movies about Mars/space ever, like Apollo 13. The film Red Planet is terrible. Anyway... The other theory you could use is one brought fourth in the entire Area 51 (2005) video game on PS2. smile

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.