Jack Bauer VS John McClane

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ragesRemorse
A terroristic virus causes a nation wide blackout in the United States. For some reason or another, CTU expects McClane to be the prime suspect. Bauer's objective is to find and kill McClane under any means necessary. In the middle of a traffic jam, Bauer spots McClane and opens fire. Under fire McClane disappears into a sea of people. He believes Bauer is merely another terrorist trying to kill him.

Bauer has no resources from CTU or backup manpower. It is nothing but Jack pursuing McClane in the midst of an overpopulated, distraught city.

Who wins?

Quincy
Mclane.

His exploits are on an action hero level, and his ability to kick ass is much more exaggerated than Bauer. 24 is more realistic, therefore Jack would lose.

Did I make sense there?

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by Quincy
Mclane.

His exploits are on an action hero level, and his ability to kick ass is much more exaggerated than Bauer. 24 is more realistic, therefore Jack would lose.

Did I make sense there? thumb up yes

Placidity
No, Jack Bauer is much more skilled than McClane. I mean he's just a policeman.

Jack Bauer boasts (apart from generally badass) being an ex-Delta Force member. Now before we say McClane (policeman) wins, lets do a little research on what level the Delta Force branch functions at.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Placidity

Jack Bauer boasts (apart from generally badass) being an ex-Delta Force member. Now before we say McClane (policeman) wins, lets do a little research on what level the Delta Force branch functions at.

Is it the kick-ass-alone-against-a-bunch-of-super-terrorists-thrice-and-then-once-more level?

Placidity
^ Not sure what that means messed

Bardock42
^ Not sure what that means messed

Yeah.

Rogue Jedi

Jack Bauer boasts (apart from generally badass) being an ex-Delta Force member. Now before we say McClane (policeman) wins, lets do a little research on what level the Delta Force branch functions at. kicking the shit outta Zee Germans.

Blax_Hydralisk

That means nothing. erm

Rank doesn't mean a whole lot..

ragesRemorse
I think McClane is definitely more of a natural badass. I think it has taken Bauer many years of his life to break the threshold of badassness, but i do think, Bauer is definitely more experienced in tracking people and in assuming his opponents strategies. McClane, does have the split second reaction time as well, but his seems to be more instinctual than cerebral.

I envision, McClane trying to draw Bauer to him. maybe, blatantly leaving a trail through the city, hoping to lead Bauer into a trap. Whether or not McClane would be strategical enough to predict Bauer's actions. He would have the advantage of being pursued.

Devil King
Am I a terrorist for never having seen a single episode of 24?

Rogue Jedi
No, me neither.

Devil King
Are you an active participant of this thread?

Blax_Hydralisk
Originally posted by Devil King
Am I a terrorist for never having seen a single episode of 24?

No, just a kommunist.

Rogue Jedi
Are you an active participant of this thread? Yup. big grin

Devil King
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
Yup. big grin

But, how can one do so under the self-admitted ignorance of one half of the very debate in which you have decided to participate? I can't assume you don't have an answer, since you were so upfront about your lack of actual knowledge regarding the subjects of the discussion.

I never saw the 2nd Matrix movie. This is why I never participated in a discussion I knew nothing about, for sure.

Devil King
Originally posted by Blax_Hydralisk
No, just a kommunist.

Hillary '08!

Rogue Jedi
But, how can one do so under the self-admitted ignorance of one half of the very debate in which you have decided to participate? I can't assume you don't have an answer, since you were so upfront about your lack of actual knowledge regarding the subjects of the discussion.

I never saw the 2nd Matrix movie. This is why I never participated in a discussion I knew nothing about, for sure. I know a bit about the character, even though I have never seen a full episode. I have seen bits and pieces, which is more than I can say for you. Are YOU an active participant of this thread?

Devil King
I know a bit about the character, even though I have never seen a full episode. I have seen bits and pieces, which is more than I can say for you. Are YOU an active participant of this thread?

No, I'm not an active participant in this thread. I'm a passive participant inthis thread. I have already admitted to not seeing even the opening credits of this program. This is why I don't pressume to participate in it.

Rogue Jedi
No, I'm not an active participant in this thread. I'm a passive participant inthis thread. I have already admitted to not seeing even the opening credits of this program. This is why I don't pressume to participate in it. And what are you doing now?

Blax_Hydralisk
Breathing, and aging.

Devil King
And what are you doing now?

Passively participating in a thread. Look up the terms in regards to a discussion if you don't understand them.

Rogue Jedi
Passively participating in a thread. Look up the terms in regards to a discussion if you don't understand them. No, I understand the meaning of the terms, and now that I think on it, I am more of a passive participant than an active one. But why do you feel the need to question me about it? Thats not passive, thats VERY active.

Devil King
No, I understand the meaning of the terms, and now that I think on it, I am more of a passive participant than an active one. But why do you feel the need to question me about it? Thats not passive, thats VERY active.

As soon as the thread topic becomes: "Why is Rouge Jedi possibly full of shit", then you'll have a point. But, as it is, the topic is Jack Bauer (a character you admit to knowing little about) v John McClane.

Rogue Jedi
As soon as the thread topic becomes: "Why is Rouge Jedi possibly full of shit", then you'll have a point. But, as it is, the topic is Jack Bauer (a character you admit to knowing little about) v John McClane. Yeah, I'd be pissed too if someone called me out and made me look like an idiot.

McLane, while not as highly trained as Bauer, has a way of beating the odds time and time again. But Bauer is ex Delta force, not to mention he was in the CIA, I think.

Devil King
Yeah, I'd be pissed too if someone called me out and made me look like an idiot.

McLane, while not as highly trained as Bauer, has a way of beating the odds time and time again. But Bauer is ex Delta force, not to mention he was in the CIA, I think.

I'm not sure I'm the idiot. Especially since we have both admitted to not knowing enough about one half of the debate to speak from some measure of informed perspective. Neither am I trying to turn this into a debate about the merrits of two characters (one of which you have admitted to knowing little to nothing about) on which you are not fully informed. But, feel free to think you've "called me out", when you do nothing but exactly that for your own perspective, over and over and over again. I'm not following up my position with a rant about a character I've already admitted to knowing nothing about. Or, am I wrong in reading you saying you've never watched single episode of the show from which the central character your're arguing for?

And by the way, I don't give a shit about which of them wins. I just care that some members of a discussion aren't talking out of their ass.

Rogue Jedi
I'm not sure I'm the idiot. Especially since we have both admitted to not knowing enough about one half of the debate to speak from some measure of informed perspective. Neither am I trying to turn this into a debate about the merrits of two characters (one of which you have admitted to knowing little to nothing about) on which you are not fully informed. But, feel free to think you've "called me out", when you do nothing but exactly that for your own perspective, over and over and over again. I'm not following up my position with a rant about a character I've already admitted to knowing nothing about. Or, am I wrong in reading you saying you've never watched single episode of the show from which the central character your're arguing for?

And by the way, I don't give a shit about which of them wins. I just care that some members of a discussion aren't talking out of their ass. I'm not talking outta my ass. I know all there is to know about McLane, and I know a bit about Bauer's background and what he does for CTU.

I said I have seen bits and pieces of 24, 5 minutes here, 10 minutes there. I assumed you meant you had never seen a full episode, and I was saying neither had I.

At first, I thought McLane, with his tough guy mentality and incredible luck, would prevail, but now that I think on it, Jack is ex CIA, not to mention Delta Force.

Devil King
I'm not talking outta my ass. I know all there is to know about McLane, and I know a bit about Bauer's background and what he does for CTU.

I said I have seen bits and pieces of 24, 5 minutes here, 10 minutes there. I assumed you meant you had never seen a full episode, and I was saying neither had I.

At first, I thought McLane, with his tough guy mentality and incredible luck, would prevail, but now that I think on it, Jack is ex CIA, not to mention Delta Force.

Redefining an apparent claim is fine. You suddenly know it all and win, without question. I'm glad you and Mr. Willis, as well as Mr. Lucas, had this hippie moment-style pow-wow. I said I'd never seen an episode of 24, and you said you had not as well. Now, though, you have seen as much that one would need to in order to know all one needed to in order to speak from an informed perspective. It's amazing what a few posts and an inescapable profession of ignorance can do for a position. Congratulations, you have apparently and soundly excused yourself from speaking out of ill-informed ignorance on any number of topics.

Placidity
Originally posted by Blax_Hydralisk
That means nothing. erm

Rank doesn't mean a whole lot..

Right Right... Its ok to admit you don't know anything about Delta Force. Its not about rank. Its about how good you have to be to get in, and the amount of advanced physical and tactical training that is involved.

What training does it take to get into a normal police force (not SWAT) ?

Rogue Jedi
Redefining an apparent claim is fine. You suddenly know it all and win, without question. I'm glad you and Mr. Willis, as well as Mr. Lucas, had this hippie moment-style pow-wow. I said I'd never seen an episode of 24, and you said you had not as well. Now, though, you have seen as much that one would need to in order to know all one needed to in order to speak from an informed perspective. It's amazing what a few posts and an inescapable profession of ignorance can do for a position. Congratulations, you have apparently and soundly excused yourself from speaking out of ill-informed ignorance on any number of topics. I know it all? I just admitted I know alot about McLane, and a bit (small bit) about Bauer. When did I say I knew it all? There is a LOT about Bauer and 24 I dont know, but hey, you seem to think you know what's inside my head before I do. I admitted last post I thought you meant you had seen 24 as I had, in passing, never a full episode.

I have seen bits and pieces of 24 while channel surfing, it never really caught my interest, thats all I meant.

See, I love this. You GDFers come here and purposely look to cause problems. You are constantly on the lookout for someone to bash/ridicule/whatever because it makes you feel better about yourself. You make outrageous claims about others, claim they are coming off like Yoda, when they are not. You seriously need to loosen your girdle and take some Midol.

It's not like I said cops can wear their uniforms while working extra jobs, is it?

Impediment

I never saw the 2nd Matrix movie. This is why I never participated in a discussion I knew nothing about, for sure.

Calm down, DK.

Let's just enjoy the thread and have a debate. m'kay?

Bardock42
Right Right... Its ok to admit you don't know anything about Delta Force. Its not about rank. Its about how good you have to be to get in, and the amount of advanced physical and tactical training that is involved.

What training does it take to get into a normal police force (not SWAT) ?

What does the training it needed have to do with the ability they have shown?

Devil King
Originally posted by Impediment
Calm down, DK.

Yes; lets. An informed debate.

Impediment
Informed or not, let's debate. People can learn from such.

Alpha Centauri
I know it all? I just admitted I know alot about McLane, and a bit (small bit) about Bauer. When did I say I knew it all? There is a LOT about Bauer and 24 I dont know, but hey, you seem to think you know what's inside my head before I do. I admitted last post I thought you meant you had seen 24 as I had, in passing, never a full episode.

I have seen bits and pieces of 24 while channel surfing, it never really caught my interest, thats all I meant.

See, I love this. You GDFers come here and purposely look to cause problems. You are constantly on the lookout for someone to bash/ridicule/whatever because it makes you feel better about yourself. You make outrageous claims about others, claim they are coming off like Yoda, when they are not. You seriously need to loosen your girdle and take some Midol.

It's not like I said cops can wear their uniforms while working extra jobs, is it?

It's probably not good to suggest he's wrong for thinking he knows what's inside your head and then go on a long rant about why everyone comes here as if that's definitely why.

He was just saying you should honestly know about both sides when debating.

-AC

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
It's probably not good to suggest he's wrong for thinking he knows what's inside your head and then go on a long rant about why everyone comes here as if that's definitely why.

He was just saying you should honestly know about both sides when debating.

-AC You didnt know both sides of the Neo/Luke thread when you stepped in, remember? wink

Alpha Centauri
I did, technically.

I've seen all three of the movies he is in, multiple times. Same for Neo. Unless your point is that you think you're catching me out because I wasn't knowledgeable on a character that shouldn't have ever been in the thread, wasn't relevant and that I had no reason to really discuss.

-AC

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
I did, technically.

I've seen all three of the movies he is in, multiple times. Same for Neo. Unless your point is that you think you're catching me out because I wasn't knowledgeable on a character that shouldn't have ever been in the thread, wasn't relevant and that I had no reason to really discuss.

-AC At the time we were discussing NJO Luke, and you admitted to not knowing about him. You even did the research, remember?

Relevant or no, it's what was being discussed.

Placidity
Originally posted by Bardock42
What does the training it needed have to do with the ability they have shown?

Once again, I don't think you understand what being in Delta Force means. It is comparable or even superior to the US Navy SEALs.
Only the best of the best ever make it through. Which means, he is among the best. Why does that seem hard for you to understand?

Also, one does not simply sign up to be a part of Delta Force. In fact, there is no such unit known for enlistment. People get selected because they are the best, not simply because one enlists for it. Eligible recruits must also have the rank of a Sergeant with about 4 years of service. And thats the minimum requirement, in reality you must have a very good history (number of successful high profile missions) to even get noticed.
Recruits that serve in the Delta Force undergo intense and one of the most advanced training compared to other global ops branches. I'm talking skill, intelligence and combat tactics and survival including under interrogation torture. In all 5 seasons, Jack Bauer has never been broken under torture, not even when the Chinese had him for 2 years to try to extract information from him.
You think all these skills come from practicing shooting a pistol at the police academy's shooting range and making a smart comment after a kill? Think again, skills like this only come from real mission experience and intense training that only top military branches in the world can provide.

Aside from his sheer physical superiority in every aspect, Jack Bauer is also clearly more intelligent than McClane. Although he works for CTU, most of the time he is working solo and gathers intel for himself and some of the time even with CTU working against him. The government and CTU have always made bad calls, but I don't recall Bauer ever making a wrong decision. He is intuitive and instinctive, and his instincts have always been right.

Hahaha, holy crap, I did some research and discovered something I didn't know about Bauer.
"Among his honors are the Silver Star, the Purple Heart, and the Legion of Merit" while serving in Delta Force.

No policeman will ever be more skilled and elite than a Delta Force Operator. If you believe otherwise, you're really showing that you know nothing regarding the military. You might consider sticking to comic book characters.

No offence, But I really find it ridiculous and ignorant that someone can say "it doesn't mean anything" to the achievement of being a Delta Force Operator.

jaden101
i love how people actually get upset and angry in these kinds of debates as if they actually mean anything...

Devil King

"You GDFer's"? So, this is the only thread outside the GDF you've seen me participate in? I haven't been bashing you, in this thread or any other in which we're interacting. I'm simply saying that you can't admit to not watching a show that is 1/2 of the discussion. I can assure you, I would never call you Yoda. My only point in this is that you can not sit here and fight a point with any certainty if you do not know what you're talking about. And I'm not addressing only this thread or any point you may have made, I'm talking about in general.

I asked, given the popularity of 24 and it's subject of terrorism and the current politial ideology of with us or with the terrorists, if I would be considered a terrorist for never having seen an episode of the show. To which you replied:

No, me neither.

So, if I'm a GDF'er, what are you?

Devil King
Originally posted by jaden101
i love how people actually get upset and angry in these kinds of debates as if they actually mean anything...

I love how people think I'm angry, as though I don't realize this thread isn't a life or death situation.

Rogue Jedi
"You GDFer's"? So, this is the only thread outside the GDF you've seen me participate in? I haven't been bashing you, in this thread or any other in which we're interacting. I'm simply saying that you can't admit to not watching a show that is 1/2 of the discussion. I can assure you, I would never call you Yoda. My only point in this is that you can not sit here and fight a point with any certainty if you do not know what you're talking about. And I'm not addressing only this thread or any point you may have made, I'm talking about in general.

I asked, given the popularity of 24 and it's subject of terrorism and the current politial ideology of with us or with the terrorists, if I would be considered a terrorist for never having seen an episode of the show. To which you replied:

So, if I'm a GDF'er, what are you?

Forget the GDF thing, I shouldn't have said that, just go with this:
I know it all? I just admitted I know alot about McLane, and a bit (small bit) about Bauer. When did I say I knew it all? There is a LOT about Bauer and 24 I dont know, but hey, you seem to think you know what's inside my head before I do. I admitted last post I thought you meant you had seen 24 as I had, in passing, never a full episode.

And:

Calm down, DK.

Devil King
Forget the GDF thing, I shouldn't have said that, just go with this:

And:

Oh, so I'm the only one that said things that imply some measure of outrage?

I must have misunderstood the midol and girdle comment. Just because you thought I was angry or outraged, and said as much and a moderator decided to agree with your assumption, doesn't mean I was angry. I have never understood why a post that is more than 2 or 3 sentences is misconstrude into an angry rant. I'll reitterate my point: Don't actively participate in a thread by offering an opinion with any measure of certainty if you aren't informed enough to do so. And if you do, don't admit to not being informed.

Rogue Jedi
Oh, so I'm the only one that said things that imply some measure of outrage?

I must have misunderstood the midol and girdle comment. Just because you thought I was angry or outraged, and said as much and a moderator decided to agree with your assumption, doesn't mean I was angry. I have never understood why a post that is more than 2 or 3 sentences is misconstrude into an angry rant. I'll reitterate my point: Don't actively participate in a thread by offering an opinion with any measure of certainty if you aren't informed enough to do so. And if you do, don't admit to not being informed. OK, I said I know alot about McLane, and a bit about Bauer. I dont know all the details about 24, but the basic facts about Jacks capabilities I am aware of, more or less.

Bardock42
Once again, I don't think you understand what being in Delta Force means. It is comparable or even superior to the US Navy SEALs.
Only the best of the best ever make it through. Which means, he is among the best. Why does that seem hard for you to understand?

Also, one does not simply sign up to be a part of Delta Force. In fact, there is no such unit known for enlistment. People get selected because they are the best, not simply because one enlists for it. Eligible recruits must also have the rank of a Sergeant with about 4 years of service. And thats the minimum requirement, in reality you must have a very good history (number of successful high profile missions) to even get noticed.
Recruits that serve in the Delta Force undergo intense and one of the most advanced training compared to other global ops branches. I'm talking skill, intelligence and combat tactics and survival including under interrogation torture. In all 5 seasons, Jack Bauer has never been broken under torture, not even when the Chinese had him for 2 years to try to extract information from him.
You think all these skills come from practicing shooting a pistol at the police academy's shooting range and making a smart comment after a kill? Think again, skills like this only come from real mission experience and intense training that only top military branches in the world can provide.

Aside from his sheer physical superiority in every aspect, Jack Bauer is also clearly more intelligent than McClane. Although he works for CTU, most of the time he is working solo and gathers intel for himself and some of the time even with CTU working against him. The government and CTU have always made bad calls, but I don't recall Bauer ever making a wrong decision. He is intuitive and instinctive, and his instincts have always been right.

Hahaha, holy crap, I did some research and discovered something I didn't know about Bauer.
"Among his honors are the Silver Star, the Purple Heart, and the Legion of Merit" while serving in Delta Force.

No policeman will ever be more skilled and elite than a Delta Force Operator. If you believe otherwise, you're really showing that you know nothing regarding the military. You might consider sticking to comic book characters.

No offence, But I really find it ridiculous and ignorant that someone can say "it doesn't mean anything" to the achievement of being a Delta Force Operator.

Yeah, see, "he was in the delta force", is one line you can put on any fictional character. What they actually show to be capable of should be what is important. If you have a total idiot character but then say he is a badass then your writing is bad. Anyways, it doesn't matter, what either of them actually did on screen is what is important.

Also, only read your first and last sentence, I assume the rest of it is trivial shit.

Devil King
OK, I said I know alot about McLane, and a bit about Bauer. I dont know all the details about 24, but the basic facts about Jacks capabilities I am aware of, more or less.

You can backtrack faster than a Ferrari in reverse.

Rogue Jedi
You can backtrack faster than a Ferrari in reverse. Man....you just CANNOT let things go. crylaugh

Devil King
You expect any one here to buy that you didn't understand what "never seen a single episode" meant?

Rogue Jedi
Dude, let it go. I told you I thought you meant a FULL episode. Take it or leave it, as well as "anyone here."

Bardock42
Dude, let it go. I told you I thought you meant a FULL episode. Take it or leave it, as well as "anyone here."

I leave it.

Rogue Jedi
I leave it. Well of course YOU do.

Bardock42
Well of course YOU do.

Nah, nah, nah, nah, nah....stop trying to justify....I left it. It's left. End of story.

Left.

Rogue Jedi
Nah, nah, nah, nah, nah....stop trying to justify....I left it. It's left. End of story.

Left. You feel better now? wink

Bardock42
You feel better now? wink

Not better or worse. Since I left it. No net gain or loss.

Do you have the little problem that you always need to have the last word?

Rogue Jedi
Not better or worse. Since I left it. No net gain or loss.

Do you have the little problem that you always need to have the last word? so you think McLane would be able to evade the highly trained Bauer?

Bardock42
so you think McLane would be able to evade the highly trained Bauer?

Not necessarily.

Devil King
The luck you must have RJ, in having only seen bits and pieces of a show and they just happened to be the very bits and pieces one would need to have seen in order to take part in this thread as an informed poster.

Rogue Jedi
Not necessarily. The only edge McLane has is his incredible luck, and I dont think that is enough in this case.

Bardock42
The only edge McLane has is his incredible luck, and I dont think that is enough in this case.

I take it you changed your mind due to a sheepish awe of ranks, uniforms and authority?

Rogue Jedi
I take it you changed your mind due to a sheepish awe of ranks, uniforms and authority? No, superior training.

Bardock42
No, superior training.

What I thought.

Well, my contribution to this thread kinda ties in with what Devil King said, since I am not very aware of Bauer's skills, I did not comment on which of them won...sometimes it is wise to admit ignorance, RJ.

Devil King
...sometimes it is wise to admit ignorance, RJ.

he did. It simply hasn't stopped him.

jaden101
I love how people think I'm angry, as though I don't realize this thread isn't a life or death situation.

i love it when people think the world revolves around them

Rogue Jedi
What I thought.

Well, my contribution to this thread kinda ties in with what Devil King said, since I am not very aware of Bauer's skills, I did not comment on which of them won...sometimes it is wise to admit ignorance, RJ. The fact that Bauer is ex Delta AND ex CIA is proof enough. All we really know about McLane is that he is a cop.

Do the math.

Devil King
i love it when people think the world revolves around them

When the world in question is people telling me to calm down, it does. I never said you were talking about me. You made a point and I expanded on it.

Robtard
Do the math.

I read through the entire thread, my calculations tell me that once again, you're full of shit.

Bardock42
The fact that Bauer is ex Delta AND ex CIA is proof enough. All we really know about McLane is that he is a cop.

Do the math.

So, somehow, to you, someone else having CIA and Delta Force training, beats, the other character doing shit that is ACTUALLY FAR ABOVE ANY REAL CIA AGENT OR DELTA FORCE MEMBER...

Where's the logic again?

Thought so, can we go over to what the cats actually did on screen now, and leave whatever a horrible writer felt appropriate to add out?

Rogue Jedi
So, somehow, to you, someone else having CIA and Delta Force training, beats, the other character doing shit that is ACTUALLY FAR ABOVE ANY REAL CIA AGENT OR DELTA FORCE MEMBER...

Where's the logic again?

Thought so, can we go over to what the cats actually did on screen now, and leave whatever a horrible writer felt appropriate to add out? Tell me, how did McLane manage to survive his exploits? Despite being a badass with a leprechaun as a guardian angel?

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by Robtard
I read through the entire thread, my calculations tell me that once again, you're full of shit. So, by your....."calculations"....McLane escapes?

Bardock42
Tell me, how did McLane manage to survive his exploits? Despite being a badass with a leprechaun as a guardian angel?

I assume the being a really skilled badass part is partly important. Sure, in many cases luck is absolutely on his side. But the man did shit that is certainly Special Forces caliber, don't you think?

Robtard
It was a combination of quick thinking, resourcefulness, fighting prowess and durability.

jaden101
When the world in question is people telling me to calm down, it does.

hahaha..i've read some egotistical things in my time but that's definitely up there with the best of them

Bardock42
hahaha..i've read some egotistical things in my time but that's definitely up there with the best of them

You sure the word "egoistical" is in any way appropriate?

Robtard
I'm curious as to who you were referring to when you said:

"I love how people actually get upset and angry in these kinds of debates as if they actually mean anything"?

Rogue Jedi
I assume the being a really skilled badass part is partly important. Sure, in many cases luck is absolutely on his side. But the man did shit that is certainly Special Forces caliber, don't you think? No argument there.

But Bauer with his CIA training, covert and dark Ops shit, in addition to being a badass, I see him running down McLane. Not saying McLane wont put up a fight though.

McLane, despite being resilient, tends to rely on the help of others.

Devil King

Read back, you will see several people telling me to calm down and that I'm angry. I thought the point you made was nicely made and added my own to it. This is why my comment does revolve around me. I was not addressing you directly.

Rogue Jedi
It was a combination of quick thinking, resourcefulness, fighting prowess and durability. Traits both combatants share, yes?

Bardock42
No argument there.

But Bauer with his CIA training, covert and dark Ops shit, in addition to being a badass, I see him running down McLane. Not saying McLane wont put up a fight though.

McLane, despite being resilient, tends to rely on the help of others.

Look, mate, all I am saying is, bring on some of the magical feats of Bauer we hear about. Someone said he was Special Forces, someone said he was highly decorated....cool, and I am happy if that is good writing, but what tells us that he wasn't just a lazy bum that happened to sleep with the right guys wife to achieve that? Indeed, nothing. So what actions he actually performed on screen, show us that he could beat McClane. Lets get some of those on, except for his history.

You know what I mean, if he would just act like a clumsy fool all through 24 and someone told me, but yeah, he was a Navy Seal, and he saved the President's life ten times, and he brought down the Soviet Union by himself...then that would just be horrible writing, and you'd ask "Yeah? What happened since then to make him such a loser". You get my concerns?

Robtard
Traits both combatants share, yes?

Can't comment on Bauer, never watched 24. Keifer does look flimsy though.

Devil King
You know what I mean, if he would just act like a clumsy fool all through 24 and someone told me, but yeah, he was a Navy Seal, and he saved the President's life ten times, and he brought down the Soviet Union by himself...then that would just be horrible writing, and you'd ask "Yeah? What happened since then to make him such a loser". You get my concerns?

Well, then he would just be a combination of Maxwell Smart, Inspector Gadget and the Pink Pather.

Rogue Jedi
Look, mate, all I am saying is, bring on some of the magical feats of Bauer we hear about. Someone said he was Special Forces, someone said he was highly decorated....cool, and I am happy if that is good writing, but what tells us that he wasn't just a lazy bum that happened to sleep with the right guys wife to achieve that? Indeed, nothing. So what actions he actually performed on screen, show us that he could beat McClane. Lets get some of those on, except for his history.

You know what I mean, if he would just act like a clumsy fool all through 24 and someone told me, but yeah, he was a Navy Seal, and he saved the President's life ten times, and he brought down the Soviet Union by himself...then that would just be horrible writing, and you'd ask "Yeah? What happened since then to make him such a loser". You get my concerns? I get your point. But....

One's background have no bearing here? Let's Say we are led to believe McLane is a deadeye sniper in the Die Hard movies, an ex Marine Corp sniper. but we never see him as a sniper onscreen.....Are his sniper skills going to come into play here?

Bardock42
I get your point. But....

One's background have no bearing here? Let's Say we are led to believe McLane is a deadeye sniper in the Die Hard movies, an ex Marine Corp sniper. but we never see him as a sniper onscreen.....Are his sniper skills going to come into play here?

Is a good question. Though the scenario is obviously different. Here we are solely supposed to go by their apparent training...with no backing of what they actually did on screen. Especially since they were probably pushed to their limits on screen, that should certainly be discussed first. If it's a close call, fair enough...but just

A: McClane owned hundreds of terrorists
B: Yeah, but it is said that Bauer had Delta Force training a long time ago.

doesn't cover it, does it?

Rogue Jedi
Is a good question. Though the scenario is obviously different. Here we are solely supposed to go by their apparent training...with no backing of what they actually did on screen. Especially since they were probably pushed to their limits on screen, that should certainly be discussed first. If it's a close call, fair enough...but just

A: McClane owned hundreds of terrorists
B: Yeah, but it is said that Bauer had Delta Force training a long time ago.

doesn't cover it, does it? Well, I guess you got a point, maybe he forgot some of the Delta training, maybe he isn't physically the same as he was then, maybe this and that.

It is his CIA training that I tend to focus on however.

Robtard
The CIA can't find Osama, McClane will easily pull a Keyser Soze.

Rogue Jedi
The CIA can't find Osama, McClane will easily pull a Keyser Soze. laughing out loud another good point.

jaden101
I'm curious as to who you were referring to when you said:

"I love how people actually get upset and angry in these kinds of debates as if they actually mean anything"?

well the clue is in the "these kinds of debates" bit

this being representative of all the rather out-of-hand verses debates....take the neo v luke one...which is actually laughable

no...but egotistical is

Robtard
well the clue is in the "these kinds of debates" bit

this being representative of all the rather out-of-hand verses debates....take the neo v luke one...which is actually laughable

You Scottish baboon. Which people in this particular thread?

Rogue Jedi
You Scottish baboon. Which people in this particular thread? I doubt he names names.

jaden101
You Scottish baboon. Which people in this particular thread?

we dont have baboons in Scotland...just lots of Neds...which are close enough

lots of people...in lots of threads...having utterly futile debates and talking as if they know the facts and everyone else that doesn't agree is an idiot...when the fact is you can argue definitively either way BECAUSE IT'S ALL ****ING FICTION

Devil King
lots of people...in lots of threads...having utterly futile debates and talking as if they know the facts and everyone else that doesn't agree is an idiot...when the fact is you can argue definitively either way BECAUSE IT'S ALL ****ING FICTION

I'm not sure how I can be the egotistical one, when I said this at the beginning of the thread:

And by the way, I don't give a shit about which of them wins.

And what's more egotistical? To enter a thread and tell everyone in it they might be idiots for arguing the merrits of two fictional characters, depending on how seriously they take the topic or someone who points out not knowing anything about one of the two characters should exclude someone from participating? And then, because I use more than 5 words to do it, everyone tells me I'm angry

Impediment
Jaden and Devil King: stop this and get back on topic.

Plutonic_Hat90
Bauer's the man, but McClane ****ing blew up a helicopter with a car. Thats just badass to a new degree.

Rogue Jedi
Jaden and Devil King: stop this and get back on topic. See what I mean? laughing

Devil King
See what I mean? laughing

and I see it doesn't stop you from cracking your mouth to keep it going. your wide, hutt-like mouth.

Rogue Jedi
and I see it doesn't stop you from cracking your mouth to keep it going. your wide, hutt-like mouth. Hello Mr. Pot, I am the Kettle.

Devil King
Hello Mr. Pot, I am the Kettle.

I don't think myself, Jaden or Impediment addressed you, but you coudn't help but slurping up that frog, could you? You know what you're doing.

Rogue Jedi
I don't think myself, Jaden or Impediment addressed you, but you coudn't help but slurping up that frog, could you? You know what you're doing. Slurping up the frog? haermm

I have made every attempt to get back on track here, but you just keep going on and on and on and on and on.

Placidity
Yeah, see, "he was in the delta force", is one line you can put on any fictional character. What they actually show to be capable of should be what is important. If you have a total idiot character but then say he is a badass then your writing is bad. Anyways, it doesn't matter, what either of them actually did on screen is what is important.

Also, only read your first and last sentence, I assume the rest of it is trivial shit.

You know what, screw you, you're full of shit.

"What they did on screen is important".

Yeah no shit its important, maybe you should actually watch 24 before you open your mouth and spout crap.

In Every episode of 24, Bauer's skills are evident. You're a dumb shit who thinks McClane, who lost to some chick in H2H, can beat a Delta Force Operator.

Hahaha its so funny how you continue to say being in the Delta Force is just a rank and it doesnt mean anything. Lol, you really don't know anything about the military. So like I said before, stick to comic book characters or at least don't pretend you know what you are talking about when you clearly don't.

jaden101
and there's the kind of thing i was talking about

shazam

egotistical to point out what should be the blatently obvious?

Placidity
LMAO...

I just had a look at your profile Bardock and I gotta say its quite hilarious!

Now that I know who I am talking too, I don't even care what you have to say anymore.

Hmm.. Is it also a coincidence that Bruce Willis happens to be on your list of "Favourite Movie Stars" ? I suspect not! hahahaha...idiot.

I think I was quite right about you knowing nothing about the military aswell. Judging by your pic (which is at the very bottom of his profile guys), I'd say you never lifted anything heavier than a pack of chips.

Have a nice day! smile

Bardock42

Yeah no shit its important, maybe you should actually watch 24 before you open your mouth and spout crap.

In Every episode of 24, Bauer's skills are evident. You're a dumb shit who thinks McClane, who lost to some chick in H2H, can beat a Delta Force Operator.

Hahaha its so funny how you continue to say being in the Delta Force is just a rank and it doesnt mean anything. Lol, you really don't know anything about the military. So like I said before, stick to comic book characters or at least don't pretend you know what you are talking about when you clearly don't.

LMAO...

Now that I know who I am talking too, I don't even care what you have to say anymore.

Hmm.. Is it also a coincidence that Bruce Willis happens to be on your list of "Favourite Movie Stars" ? I suspect not! hahahaha...idiot.

I think I was quite right about you knowing nothing about the military aswell. Judging by your pic (which is at the very bottom of his profile guys), I'd say you never lifted anything heavier than a pack of chips.

Have a nice day! smile

Did I enrage you a bit? As you should have gathered by ... well, hopefully reading the thread, I never said McClane would win.

Impediment

LMAO...

Have a nice day! smile

Consider youself warned for member bashing, Placidity. Do not do it again. That was uncalled for.

Everyone else, please get back on topic and quit the needless macho display of back-and-forth.

jaden101
are you talking about gay sex...like...between mcclane and bauer?

good to see they dont have to kill each other now then

Rogue Jedi
are you talking about gay sex...like...between mcclane and bauer?

good to see they dont have to kill each other now then shifty

Darth Martin
Originally posted by Quincy
Mclane.

His exploits are on an action hero level Uhh, he is an action hero. erm

Rogue Jedi
crylaugh

Sadako of Girth
Bauer probably grew up with McClane posters on his wall.

Placidity
Originally posted by Sadako of Girth
Bauer probably grew up with McClane posters on his wall.

No I think he grew up wiping his ass with those posters.

08uJanZEeMo

/Thread

Oh yea, and um Sadako, I think you might be just a little biased.

BruceSkywalker
the following takes place between 12 p.m. and 1 p.m.

oh and Mr. Bauer is not a movie character yet until the movie is out next year i believe

Darth Truculent
I am a devoted 24 fan and watched every episode from all 9 seasons. The only man capable of defeating Bauer is Jason Bourne and even then that's a big if. As people have stated before, Bauer is ex- Delta, ex- CTU and is an expert in several martial arts, profient in the use of firearms and is not afraid of thet use of torture. For God's sake he tortured his own brother. He has the ability to resist enhanced interrogations and when really pissed off, Jack is not afraid to execute his prisoners.

Jack has an x-factor: his rage and hate, but he controls it. Except in this last season he eviserated a man during one of his interrogations and slaughtered a Russian embassy. Rent, the seasons when the come out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jj3GsUn4O8

Impediment
Isn't Jack Bauer a television character?

BruceSkywalker

yes Jack is, there is a movie in the works, bt it won't be out until next year

Bouboumaster
Bauer makes McClane looks like a pussy. McClane kill a bunch of terrorists in one night. Bauer whip entire organisations in one day, and do it while stopping their plans.

Sadako of Girth
No I think he grew up wiping his ass with those posters.

08uJanZEeMo

/Thread

Oh yea, and um Sadako, I think you might be just a little biased.

Nah man I actually cant comment yet as Im yet to see 24's run.

And um yeah....that kinda makes your bias assumption a bit off.

Robtard
I've never seen an episode of 24, I am aware of Bauer's listed background, Delta Force, CIA and whatnot.

Having said that, it means nothing much here, as McClane on paper is just a cop, yet cops definitely don't do the shit he did that we actually see. AS Farrell said unbelievably, "you're a cop!?" We all agree that screen feats are > than titles?

Is Bauer as action-packed and bad-ass as McClane? Does he run through glass barefoot? Survive explosions? Take on ninja-women, mercs, miliatary, squirrel-boys? Jump out of speeding cars? Helicopter with a Crown Victoria? F-35 Lightning II with a semi-truck? Does he take bullets and keep on going? Does he shoot through himself to kill the villain? You know, action-hero nigh-unbelievable stuff, or he Bauer more grounded in the realms of reality?

Placidity
I've never seen an episode of 24, I am aware of Bauer's listed background, Delta Force, CIA and whatnot.

Watch the video ^

Having said that, it means nothing much here, as McClane on paper is just a cop, yet cops definitely don't do the shit he did that we actually see. AS Farrell said unbelievably, "you're a cop!?" We all agree that screen feats are > than titles?

Actually it does matter since most of McClane's successes all come from luck or circumstances in the plot. He is more skilled than the average cop, but in a fight vs any highly trained operative whether it is Jack Bauer, James Bond, or Jason Bourne he'll get destroyed since he doesn't have his luck to lean on. All the elite have been shown on film to win by simply outclassing their opponents in skill and tactics.

This is not the main point though, Jack Bauer's feats speaks for himself.

Is Jack Bauer more badass than McClane? Well, it sounds like a rhetorical question.

http://www.jackbauerfacts.com/

As for damage soak and toughness? Jack absolutely shits on McClane. Just going by the most recent season, Jack gets stabbed in the abdomen, then he lets himself get captured and tortured just so he can find out where the bad guys were hiding, he then escapes and takes out the whole Russain mob. This was only like the early part of the season, he continues for the rest of the season with those injuries like nothing happened. This is just one instance, there are countless many others.

Rogue Jedi

WatchDog495
Does McClane get his plot armour/ luck?

If he doesn't (and I doubt he is) , he is screwed big time

BruceSkywalker
Watch the video ^

Actually it does matter since most of McClane's successes all come from luck or circumstances in the plot. He is more skilled than the average cop, but in a fight vs any highly trained operative whether it is Jack Bauer, James Bond, or Jason Bourne he'll get destroyed since he doesn't have his luck to lean on. All the elite have been shown on film to win by simply outclassing their opponents in skill and tactics.

This is not the main point though, Jack Bauer's feats speaks for himself.

Is Jack Bauer more badass than McClane? Well, it sounds like a rhetorical question.

http://www.jackbauerfacts.com/

As for damage soak and toughness? Jack absolutely shits on McClane. Just going by the most recent season, Jack gets stabbed in the abdomen, then he lets himself get captured and tortured just so he can find out where the bad guys were hiding, he then escapes and takes out the whole Russain mob. This was only like the early part of the season, he continues for the rest of the season with those injuries like nothing happened. This is just one instance, there are countless many others.

thumb up thumb up

Darth Martin
Isn't Jack Bauer a television character? Does it really matter? It wouldn't hurt anyone to have a television character in here every now and then. His visual feats are in no different shape or form than McClane's.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Darth Martin
Does it really matter? It wouldn't hurt anyone to have a television character in here every now and then. His visual feats are in no different shape or form than McClane's.

Yeah...it's kind of...paramount to this the versus forum rules, really.

Lestov16
McClane wouldn't stand a chance. Bauer's tanked shit that makes the beatings McClane's tanked look like the aftermath of a pillow fight and he is the very definition of ruthless efficiency. Unless we are taking the bullshit McClane luck factor into effect (although Bauer pretty much has that same luck factor).

Mindset
Originally posted by Lestov16
McClane wouldn't stand a chance. Bauer's tanked shit that makes the beatings McClane's tanked look like the aftermath of a pillow fight and he is the very definition of ruthless efficiency. Unless we are taking the bullshit McClane luck factor into effect (although Bauer pretty much has that same luck factor). This guys seems unbiased.

Lestov16
I am a fan of both Die Hard and 24, and thus can compare the ehroes very accurately. That Jack Bauer Kill Count video does not nearly do him justice. His idea of improvising an escape from FBI Headquarters in Washington D.C was to hotwire a car and drive it off of the third story of the parking garage, while under the wheel pushing down on the accelerator

About 3 hours after enduring torture from the Chinese for two years( without saying a single word that entire 2 years out of sheer willpower; contrasted with the other person who was tortured by the Chinese for a couple of hours, Audrey Raines, who went into a catatonic state), he escaped the compound of the terrorist who wanted him to personally execute him by (he is tied in a chair) removing the EKG cord from his neck, causing his EKG to flat line. When the mook who is watching him goes to check on it, Jack bites his throat out, and immediately arms himself and gets back in action. Mere hours after 2 YEARS of torture. Really, Jack is like an urban Rambo. He single-handedly takes out groups of terrorists in gunfights like they are nothing. When he is determined to do something, THAT SHIT GETS DONE.

Lestov16
I'm sorry, I was inaccurate. it was 20 months of torture, not 2 years. also, Audrey was imprisoned for roughly a year, but his feats still stand.

Rogue Jedi
Unless we are taking the bullshit McClane luck factor into effect . Ahahahahahaa gold.

Sadako of Girth
Umm not bullshit though, is it...? Screen feats, baby. smile

Thought that might draw a laugh from the king of the OTHER factor at play here: McButthurt.

Some scars never heal, eh?

Especially McScars. smile

Lestov16
Umm not bullshit though, is it...? Screen feats, baby. smile

Thought that might draw a laugh from the king of the OTHER factor at play here: McButthurt.

Some scars never heal, eh?

Especially McScars. smile

Watch 24, buddy boy, the feats are there

Rogue Jedi
I've not seen one episode of 24, ever.

Sadako of Girth
Typical form then that the guy who says that would feel qualified to debate the subject at all.

Watch 24, buddy boy, the feats are there

24....24...twwwwwennnnnnty fourrrrrr...... hmmmmmmm... nope.... not seen that movie.
Ive seen '48 hours' though....that was pretty good.
wink

Rogue Jedi
Holy SHIT, dude.....

A7nKoSi_fGA

If this vid is a testament to Jack's high end feats, he rapes McClane, prison style.

Lestov16
I've not seen one episode of 24, ever.
I only started watching the show a few months ago, and you can see how big of a fan I am. It is an action acfiancdo's wet dream, even more so than the expendables. Basically every positive, exciting action film trope all crammed together in one hour. The entire feel of the show itself makes it feel like a film. EVERY moment has you on the edge of your seat, both due to the tension of the plot and the perpetual moments of the viewer going "Holy Shit!!" at the audacious opportunism of Jack.

If you are interested, just start here and if pleased, continue here

Here at 39:50-42:00 his the aforementioned "Escape from FBI headquarters"feat (starting at 41:26 is him driving off the roof)

Rogue Jedi
I only started watching the show a few months ago, and you can see how big of a fan I am. It is an action acfiancdo's wet dream, even more so than the expendables. Basically every positive, exciting action film trope all crammed together in one hour. The entire feel of the show itself makes it feel like a film. EVERY moment has you on the edge of your seat, both due to the tension of the plot and the perpetual moments of the viewer going "Holy Shit!!" at the audacious opportunism of Jack.

If you are interested, just start here and if pleased, continue here

Here at 39:50-42:00 his the aforementioned "Escape from FBI headquarters"feat (starting at 41:26 is him driving off the roof) I'm gonna buy the dvd collection.

Robtard
Originally posted by Mindset
This guys seems unbiased.

Totally.

Mindset
I've seen every ep of 24, working on my 2nd time thru the series.

It's good.

Lestov16
stick out tongue to all of you

Note that I let my fanboyism get the best of me because both McClane and Jack have a certain luck factor to them, but Jack has skill with that, and he would win

But I guess that doesn't matter anyway, since, as Sadako said. this fight isn't valid. Yet another reason we should have an all-medium-v.s forum sad

Rogue Jedi
Rape.

Robtard
stick out tongue to all of you

Note that I let my fanboyism get the best of me because both McClane and Jack have a certain luck factor to them, but Jack has skill with that, and he would win

But I guess that doesn't matter anyway, since, as Sadako said. this fight isn't valid. Yet another reason we should have an all-medium-v.s forum sad

Did Bauer ever "luck" down an F-35?

Mindset
He lucked down a nuke.

Sadako of Girth
McClane has both skill and luck, as seen in all four movies.

And since McClane stopped power being lost to the entire eastern seaboard in Die Hard 4.0, (Including nuclear power plant cooling systems etc) you could argue the same for McClane on the nuke front..

Lestov16
McClane has both skill and luck, as seen in all four movies.

And since McClane stopped power being lost to the entire eastern seaboard in Die Hard 4.0, (Including nuclear power plant cooling systems etc) you could argue the same for McClane on the nuke front..

laughing

Really, dude, watch 24. One of the terrorist plots on Day 4 was causing a nuclear meltdown in every power plant in the United States. Not to mention the Cordilla virus. That would've probably become a global pandemic. Eastern Seaboard? Please. The fate of civilization as we know it has rested in the hands of Bauer

Lestov16
Note, I do apologize if I'm sounding cocky/ dickish. I love McClane. He is to action films what Indiana Jones is to adventure films. Re-reading, I think I am sounding a bit harsh. I am not trying to say that McClane's feats aren't shit. I'm just trying to emphasize that Bauer is more competent than him

Sadako of Girth
Is there any point now? This thread, as it turns out is one big 24 spoiler.
McClane is extremely competent.....even with a crippling hangover.
(And he never once was in a movie as horrifically and diabolically bad as Indy 4.)
You may then consider Bauer as the TV version of McClane.
Each masters of their own territory.

Fair enough on your apology though dude. Respected.

Lestov16
IS there any point now? This thread, as it turns out is one big 24 spoiler.

Which, sadly for me to say.............sad is why it should be closed, along with any other Bauer thread. Bauer has more feats than McClane because, well, we've seen 192 hours of Bauer being awesome, while we've only seen 8 hours of McClane. I guess I'll have to hold out until the anything-versus-forum hopefully comes into fruition

And he never once was in a movie as horrifically and diabolically bad as Indy 4.

Could you please further explain this analogy?

Sadako of Girth
OK. I will.

Die Hard 4.0 in and Indy IV level of badness and horror would have had to have been like this:

McClane after being a devilishly cynical individual for the three previous movies would have pussied out, turned into a comedy figure of fun in a meet the parents style: alternating emo-ing about his lost friends like Al, Captain Roberts and all his long gone friends, the pussying out would be capped off by remarrying Holly Gennero, a formerly devilishly cynical individual who balanced out McClane's dark humour wisecracks with her own sharp tongue. She now becomes a complete demented housewife who is there in only the most irritating and asinine capacity, annoying the audience instead of thrilling them, she then pussywhips McClane into remarrying McClane who now steps aside and hands over the franchise to John Junior who spends his time on screen with a terrible second hand Marlon Brando persona and a really bad haircut, who spends his time swinging with CGI monkeys and battling people in a really reality/involvement shattering Errol Flynn fencing style.

McClane is surrounded by translucent, unthreatening, unconvincing pantomime villains whom we care nothing about, and an old friend (whom weve never heard/seen of before whom keeps openly switching sides confessing to McClane, and McClane falls for it everytime without shooting him once.
All of his studio exec inserted "jokes"about how old he is are terrible, and his stunts and feats are marked by inserted 'comedy' gophers utterly inappropriate to the situations at hand.
http://mygeekblasphemy.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/indy-gopher.jpg

The movie is centered around the pursuit of a mystery macguffin, which we find out all about in the first 20 mins (yawn) and when we see the climax of the plot culminate, it delivers a mixture of "oh thats f**king bullshit" and more yawns with extra 'mehhh' thrown in. All 'twists' are telegraphed from jupiter only they are as visible to the naked eye as the sun is at midday.

Overall the Indy IV version of Die Hard 4.0 would have you yawning, but you'd be scared to do so for fear of drowning in the piss that the director unleashes on you and choking on the perpetual shizier river that the audience around you (and the cast too) dies in whilst watching the movie.

Darth Truculent
I nearly forgot myself that Jack was infected with a WMD and still kicked ass so that tops taking down a F-35. McLane was never infected with a bioweapon. Jack turned Renee Walker into a mini-Bauer. The next and final season, while stabbed and shot, he took down the Russian Embassy and was going to kill Charles Logan when Logan killed himself after Walker was murdered. Bauer has taken down Russians, Arabs and Chinese operatives. McLane takes down criminals. Jack takes down terrorists.

Lestov16
Originally posted by Darth Truculent
I nearly forgot myself that Jack was infected with a WMD and still kicked ass so that tops taking down a F-35. McLane was never infected with a bioweapon. Jack turned Renee Walker into a mini-Bauer. The next and final season, while stabbed and shot, he took down the Russian Embassy and was going to kill Charles Logan when Logan killed himself after Walker was murdered. Bauer has taken down Russians, Arabs and Chinese operatives. McLane takes down criminals. Jack takes down terrorists.

http://www.notrly.com/uploader/files/1/24%20pics/jack_curtis_double_kills.gif

He is the f*cking man. Seriously, I recommend 24 to anyone here

Robtard
I think you may actually be in love with Jack Bauer.

Lestov16
Not really. There are far better characters than Bauer. It's the show I love because it actually feels like you are watching a high-tension action thriller feature film every time you watch it

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>