Kryptonians - universe's smartest idiots

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

~The Wickerman~
First of all let me mention that my knowledge of Superman is very limited.

I've read most pre crisis JLA comics, pretty much all of v3 JLA, Red Son, and a bit of birthright, and about 13 issues of Superman/Batman, so if what I'm about to say sounds stupid to you or has been explained, please don't get overly angry.

Now...here's my problem.

How in the name of God did Krypton not have colonies? I mean...I'm looking at our Earth, and I see a small planet with a huge demographic problem, with very limited tech, but that is seriously considering colonisation of other worlds.

Krypton:

1. a) MUST have had a demographic problem
b) if it didn't, then how is it possible it didn't? Where did all the people go?

2. a) MUST have had problems with resources. No matter how technologically advanced they were and how they could recycle crap or whatever, they definitely had to have a resource problem. We've had maybe 7-8000 years of civilization and we have a very serious resource issue.
b) if they didn't, how the hell did they get resources?

3. Had the technology to colonize. But did or didn't they have the desire to colonize?

I'm thinking any society that is so keen on advancing technologically, should have the drive to colonize. Some would go ahead and try to conquer, but if I understand correctly, Krypton was quite peaceful and gung ho. Even still, that only encourages the search for knowledge.

When you take all of these points, it makes no sense they would not colonize other worlds. Hell, other worlds in other solar systems even. If you're living in a red sun system, and you:

a) know it's gonna pop at some points, since it's a freekin red sun
b) know your race gets superpowers outside of that particular sun's radiations

Why wouldn't you go ahead and colonize other worlds?

Sorry for the rant, hope someone can help out smile

Batman-Prime
Originally posted by ~The Wickerman~
First of all let me mention that my knowledge of Superman is very limited.

I've read most pre crisis JLA comics, pretty much all of v3 JLA, Red Son, and a bit of birthright, and about 13 issues of Superman/Batman, so if what I'm about to say sounds stupid to you or has been explained, please don't get overly angry.

Now...here's my problem.

How in the name of God did Krypton not have colonies? I mean...I'm looking at our Earth, and I see a small planet with a huge demographic problem, with very limited tech, but that is seriously considering colonisation of other worlds.

Krypton:

1. a) MUST have had a demographic problem
b) if it didn't, then how is it possible it didn't? Where did all the people go?

2. a) MUST have had problems with resources. No matter how technologically advanced they were and how they could recycle crap or whatever, they definitely had to have a resource problem. We've had maybe 7-8000 years of civilization and we have a very serious resource issue.
b) if they didn't, how the hell did they get resources?

3. Had the technology to colonize. But did or didn't they have the desire to colonize?

I'm thinking any society that is so keen on advancing technologically, should have the drive to colonize. Some would go ahead and try to conquer, but if I understand correctly, Krypton was quite peaceful and gung ho. Even still, that only encourages the search for knowledge.

When you take all of these points, it makes no sense they would not colonize other worlds. Hell, other worlds in other solar systems even. If you're living in a red sun system, and you:

a) know it's gonna pop at some points, since it's a freekin red sun
b) know your race gets superpowers outside of that particular sun's radiations

Why wouldn't you go ahead and colonize other worlds?

Sorry for the rant, hope someone can help out smile

IIRC they had colonies and even destroyed other civilisations, he Religion and Politics called all Krytonians back or so. I have to search for the issue... smile

Raoul
Originally posted by Batman-Prime
IIRC they had colonies and even destroyed other civilisations, he Religion and Politics called all Krytonians back or so. I have to search for the issue... smile

it was in superman, with the third kryptonian iirc...

yeah, krypton had massive military might, and had even conquered other worlds, but when the science minded groups came to power, they recalled their empire and shut krypton off from the rest of the galaxy...

and then, you know, boom...

~The Wickerman~
Originally posted by Raoul
it was in superman, with the third kryptonian iirc...

yeah, krypton had massive military might, and had even conquered other worlds, but when the science minded groups came to power, they recalled their empire and shut krypton off from the rest of the galaxy...

and then, you know, boom...

But how did they fit a small planet full of people with MORE people that they called back from previously conquered worlds? How did they handle the problem of resources?

Assuming there is a logical explanation for all these questions, I would like to add that if this is correct, then this xenophobia was their direct downfall as a species.

Raoul, you're a bit of a Supes buff, didn't Birthright mention anything extra about this stuff?

Raoul
But how did they fit a small planet full of people with MORE people that they called back from previously conquered worlds? How did they handle the problem of resources?

Assuming there is a logical explanation for all these questions, I would like to add that if this is correct, then this xenophobia was their direct downfall as a species.

Raoul, you're a bit of a Supes buff, didn't Birthright mention anything extra about this stuff?

krypton knew of its people's abilities under a yellow sun, so their armies didn't have to be that massive... even if they were, i honestly don't know how they managed to stop overpopulation, i'm not sure if it was ever touched upon...

the xenophobia is, i agree, the main cause for krypton's downfall, that and the governments own arrogance...

birthright did touch on it a little, but they never really went into any huge detail iirc...

~The Wickerman~
krypton knew of its people's abilities under a yellow sun, so their armies didn't have to be that massive... even if they were, i honestly don't know how they managed to stop overpopulation, i'm not sure if it was ever touched upon...

the xenophobia is, i agree, the main cause for krypton's downfall, that and the governments own arrogance...

birthright did touch on it a little, but they never really went into any huge detail iirc...

I still don't understand how they could be so moronic as tonot expand. Limit their knowledge, limit the amount of space and resources they can use...

If that happened to us in the real world (assuming we were krypton) you can bet there would be a huge group of dissidents ignoring the government's stipulations and establishing colonies in other solar systems...

K-Dog
Yeah, I know it's just comics and obviously we can't just have a world of 6 billion Supermen because that would be boring, but if you think about it, they could send just like a few people to a planet with a yellow sun who could, powered up, prepare the planet for a large scale colonization in a few weeks or months, then send everybody else. Of course as soon as the new people got there they would be superbeings so they would not need preparations to begin with! And if travel back and forth was a problem, the new Superpeople could just carry ships at high speeds too. If they played it right, they should rule the universe outside of omnipotent beings. But what fun would that be? wink

~The Wickerman~
Originally posted by K-Dog
Yeah, I know it's just comics and obviously we can't just have a world of 6 billion Supermen because that would be boring, but if you think about it, they could send just like a few people to a planet with a yellow sun who could, powered up, prepare the planet for a large scale colonization in a few weeks or months, then send everybody else. Of course as soon as the new people got there they would be superbeings so they would not need preparations to begin with! And if travel back and forth was a problem, the new Superpeople could just carry ships at high speeds too. If they played it right, they should rule the universe outside of omnipotent beings. But what fun would that be? wink

It would be rational, logical fun no expression The kind kryptonians like no expression

WrathfulDwarf
I think you're just splitting hairs here....

Soljer
Kryptonians != Humans.

Perhaps they didn't have the same greedy drive to expand and conquer?

~The Wickerman~
Originally posted by Soljer
Kryptonians != Humans.

Perhaps they didn't have the same greedy drive to expand and conquer?

Which would mean they should logically have the opposite which would be a peaceful drive to expand and accumulate knowledge and the necessary resources/space to accomodate their species while learning things about other worlds.

Soljer
Which would mean they should logically have the opposite which would be a peaceful drive to expand and accumulate knowledge and the necessary resources/space to accomodate their species while learning things about other worlds.

You're oversimplifying.

Species can exist without being A) selfish warring conquerers or B) selfless peaceful researchers.

The Kryptonians were neither of these.

~The Wickerman~
Originally posted by Soljer
You're oversimplifying.

Species can exist without being A) selfish warring conquerers or B) selfless peaceful researchers.

The Kryptonians were neither of these.

You may be right but I'm only doing this because in comic books, any sort of species with a humanoid shape is usually made out to have the same general urges and desires and emotions as humans (lack of being able to think in a completely alien pattern by the writers I 'spose).

So what are you suggesting, that they were sloths? Or that they were peaceful, not sloths, just didn't care about gathering any more knowledge? Or they decided to take a time-out of a few hundred years from researching other worlds or what? erm

Also, I could understand that they wouldn't think quite like humans and wouldn't necessarily be a or b, but that still doesn't explain the issue of demographics and resources...

Raoul
the science ministry (or whatever they were called), manipulated the public, and brought in laws disallowing people from leaving krypton... people felt threatened to the extent that they would rather do as they were told than have general zod banging on their door...

~The Wickerman~
the science ministry (or whatever they were called), manipulated the public, and brought in laws disallowing people from leaving krypton... people felt threatened to the extent that they would rather do as they were told than have general zod banging on their door...

laughing out loud laughing out loud That just sounded awesome. I can imagine a poster with him "Krypton wants YOU!!!!" laughing out loud

Raoul
laughing out loud laughing out loud That just sounded awesome. I can imagine a poster with him "Krypton wants YOU!!!!" laughing out loud

laughing

Mindship
Kryptonian Hubris ---> Mass Denial ---> Poor Planning ---> Near Extinction...

...not to different from how humans behave, which should not be surprising, since Kryptonians and humans hail from the same "universal humanoid" progenitors (which DC has yet to explore, afaik)

shifty

~The Wickerman~
Originally posted by Mindship
Kryptonian Hubris ---> Mass Denial ---> Poor Planning ---> Near Extinction...

...not to different from how humans behave, which should not be surprising, since Kryptonians and humans hail from the same "universal humanoid" progenitors (which DC has yet to explore, afaik)

shifty

Agreed, BUT in the entire world's history there is no case where everybody on the planet agreed on any issue. If it had been Earth instead of Krypton I can assure you dissidents wouldn't have given a crap and would have colonized other planets anyhow.

Raoul
Agreed, BUT in the entire world's history there is no case where everybody on the planet agreed on any issue. If it had been Earth instead of Krypton I can assure you dissidents wouldn't have given a crap and would have colonized other planets anyhow.

iirc, any people who did try to leave, or develop the means to, were arrested and imprisoned...

~The Wickerman~
iirc, any people who did try to leave, or develop the means to, were arrested and imprisoned...

So Krypton was a dictatorship huh? Hmm...

So I suppose the topic title pretty much makes sense. Refusing to garner additional resources, as well as refusing to get extra space for an either already existing or bound to happen demographic explosion, as well as refusing to explore for the purpose of gaining knowledge, coupled with the knowledge that their entire species in on one single planet...in a solar system with a RED sun...so yeah...a species of idiots huh?

Raoul
So Krypton was a dictatorship huh? Hmm...

So I suppose the topic title pretty much makes sense. Refusing to garner additional resources, as well as refusing to get extra space for an either already existing or bound to happen demographic explosion, as well as refusing to explore for the purpose of gaining knowledge, coupled with the knowledge that their entire species in on one single planet...in a solar system with a RED sun...so yeah...a species of idiots huh?

more arrogance and xenophobia than anything, i think...

~The Wickerman~
more arrogance and xenophobia than anything, i think...

The Soviet Union were arrogant and xenophobic during the Cold War.
They however advanced scientifically, made sure they had a steady inflow of resources from external sources, had enough space, did not limit their knowledge, sent scientists all over the world in multiple fields, and most importantly, never forgot about the security of their people. (down to a paranoid level).

Meanwhile, Krypton did the opposite to all those. So basically they were morons...

Avlon
Once Krypton recalled back it's forces...those who rebelled were hunted by "Eradicators" who were basically kryptonian bounty hunters. Other kryptonians were killed by Amalak, who himself was a super powered being specifically tailored to kill Kryptonians.

As far as I know...the original reason hasn't been retconned out either. Originally the Eradicator altered kryptonians so that if they left krypton, they would die. Any alien visiting krypton would also die by it's doing as Erads would alter the biology of any being.

Hope this answers some of your questions at least.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.