The First Avenger: Captain America

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

stickman618
i know it's really early but people are already talking about it

it comes out in 2011

there's a deleted scene in TIH where Banner comes across CA's frozen body, it's to be included in the dvd, so that's his set up.

and for costume changes, i'd like at least leave out the wings

Scoobless
Is that the working title for the film? 'cos (as I'm sure most/all of you know) Cap wasn't the first Avenger in either 616 or the Ultimates.

I suppose the origin would have to be rewritten though as the ... ahem ... original origin .... ermm .... would be long winded and would require a lot of back-story to be acceptable in modern film storytelling.

stickman618
it is according to wikipedia

tjcoady
Maybe the mean figuratively he's the first Avenger? Like the first hero to embody the precepts of the Avengers?

That wouldn't be all that far off.

SnakeEyes
Title sucks, but I'm sure they'll change it by the time it comes out.

Out of all comic-to-film adaptions, this is the one I'm most skeptical about. I've never seen Cap as a character who'd translate well onto the big screen. If they lean more towards Ultimate Cap, then maybe it'll work, but still...

Kazenji
Originally posted by Scoobless

I suppose the origin would have to be rewritten though as the ... ahem ... original origin .... ermm .... would be long winded and would require a lot of back-story to be acceptable in modern film storytelling.

They could allways do a superhero period piece movie have it set in the 1940's wink

stickman618
i think it will concentrate more on before he got frozen, then they just find him again in the Avengers movie

ScarletSpeed
I think it will start off in WW2 when he gets the SuperSoldierSerum, then I think Namor will find his frozen body.

stickman618
in a deleted scene in TIH, Banner found him

ScarletSpeed
that's just wrong no expressionlaughing out loud

Toku King
Originally posted by stickman618
in a deleted scene in TIH, Banner found him

That's not true.

Toku King
Originally posted by ScarletSpeed
I think it will start off in WW2 when he gets the SuperSoldierSerum, then I think Namor will find his frozen body.

Namor won't be in Avengers.

ScarletSpeed
he should atleast have a small part,

In The Avengers #4 (March 1964), Namor discovers an Arctic tribe worshipping a frozen figure preserved in a block of ice. Enraged at the idolatry, he throws the block into the ocean, where, after Namor's departure, it subsequently melts to reveal Captain America's body frozen in suspended animation; the superhero team the Avengers would shortly revive him.

stickman618
Originally posted by Toku King
That's not true.

that's what someone posted on the TIH forum

BruceSkywalker
I look forward to seeing this. Glad CA was not in The Incredible Hulk.

roughrider
The best name actor out there for this role, is Matthew McConaughey.
He's several years younger than Brad Pitt, built much bigger, and can act this part if you're seen U-571 or Reign Of Fire.
May have to modulate that Texas accent though...is it important for Cap to sound non-regional?

stickman618
i don't really want anyone famous to play him, as long as he's a good actor

ScarletSpeed
I really think Paul Walker sits the par, looks wise,

too bad about his actinglaughing out loud

Kazenji
Leonardo Dicaprio has been rumoured to play Captain america, Hopefully it stays a rumour.

stickman618
i'll say

he's way too famous, like Nicholas Cage and Ben Affleck

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by roughrider
The best name actor out there for this role, is Matthew McConaughey.
He's several years younger than Brad Pitt, built much bigger, and can act this part if you're seen U-571 or Reign Of Fire.
May have to modulate that Texas accent though...is it important for Cap to sound non-regional?

e is a good actor, but Steve Rogers was not 40 when joined the armed forces and later became Capt America.

ScarletSpeed
i'll say

he's way too famous, like Nicholas Cage and Ben Affleck

oh yeah it's cause he's too famous it would be awfulconfused

not the fact that he is like 5 ft tall laughing out loud

roughrider
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
e is a good actor, but Steve Rogers was not 40 when joined the armed forces and later became Capt America.

MM is 39 and looks younger.
If he plays the frail pre-serum Rogers, they'll have to resort to photoshop like in X3.

stickman618
oh yeah it's cause he's too famous it would be awfulconfused

not the fact that he is like 5 ft tall laughing out loud

if they're too famous, you expect too much,

i mean, i can see Ben Affleck as a lawyer, but not a superhero

ScarletSpeed
if they're too famous, you expect too much,

i mean, i can see Ben Affleck as a lawyer, but not a superhero

I am just saying, him being not suitable for the part is more of a reason for him not to do it, not the fact he is too famous.

SnakeEyes
If they pick Matthew McConaughey, I'll be pissed. In every movie he's in, he just annoys me.

BruceSkywalker
MM is 39 and looks younger.
If he plays the frail pre-serum Rogers, they'll have to resort to photoshop like in X3.

That worked for Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellan. I don't feel Matt McConaughey is the right choice. I feel a much younger actor is needed.

stickman618
how old was Steve Rogers when he became CA anyway??

roughrider

About 23. So, the actor has to appear late 20's at worst.

BruceSkywalker

Steve Rogers was 22-23 . A much younger actor is needed to portray Steve Rogers/ Capt America and not an old actor. I think we should all realize is that what worked for Iron Man when Robert Downey, Jr was hired., may not work here for CA. The age effects worked for the ten minutes or so scene in X3 where Stewart and McKellan are concerned may not and prolly not work here. A young actor between 20 and 24 can pull this off and is very appropriate for this role

ragesRemorse
Why does it matter if he looks 23 or 30? Out of all the things they will probably change about his character and origins you are all concerned most about a few years in age? Changing his characters aesthetic appearance from 23 to 30 is not a big deal at all for me. In fact, i think i would actually prefer some age on captain America. I know it would broaden the casting opportunities.

stickman618
maybe someone who can pull off a "take charge" kinda role i guess

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
Why does it matter if he looks 23 or 30? Out of all the things they will probably change about his character and origins you are all concerned most about a few years in age? Changing his characters aesthetic appearance from 23 to 30 is not a big deal at all for me. In fact, i think i would actually prefer some age on captain America. I know it would broaden the casting opportunities.

It may broaden the casting opportunities, but the film may be a huge disaster and I don't think Marvel wants that

hugekent
Do you guys seriously want Captain America as an early twenties guy? To me he's the worldly, well respected guy and I've always seen him as being a man in his 30's.

stickman618
yeah, might be better if he's a bit older late 20's-early 30's

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by hugekent
Do you guys seriously want Captain America as an early twenties guy? To me he's the worldly, well respected guy and I've always seen him as being a man in his 30's.

I do, because that is staying true to the origin of the character. Steve Rogers was a young man, NOT AN OLD MAN when he entered into the super soldier program and took the super soldier formula.

mr.smiley

No kidding.As long as the guy can play the role,and looks the part i'm not going to complain.

mr.smiley
I do, because that is staying true to the origin of the character. Steve Rogers was a young man, NOT AN OLD MAN when he entered into the super soldier program and took the super soldier formula.

30's not old though.If the actor playing him was in his 50's I would agree with you.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
If they pick Matthew McConaughey, I'll be pissed. In every movie he's in, he just annoys me.

yeah, i really don't wanna see Captain America shirtless through the entire movie.

Kazenji
How about Aaron Eckhart ??

but then again he's playing two-face now with the batman films.

ragesRemorse
It may broaden the casting opportunities, but the film may be a huge disaster and I don't think Marvel wants that

How would it be a huge disaster just because the character's appearance is a couple years older? Wouldn't you prefer a good actor over a pretty face?

ScarletSpeed
Originally posted by Kazenji

I always said Aaron would be a good Cap,

well Halle Berry has played Storm and Catwoman so it wouldn't be so bad.

Kazenji
"If" they do pick him he could play Steve rogers when he's older and get someone younger to play him when he's in the army.

stickman618

oooh, good one

he's a good actor and has an "all american" accent, not like Matt Mcconaughey confused

ScarletSpeed
i still think they should have Justin Hartley play young Cap.

H. S. 6
well Halle Berry has played Storm and Catwoman so it wouldn't be so bad.

Please re-read what you just posted.

Juk3n
I vote Nathan Fillion to play Cap, the guy would rock.

Looks the pert too - but i bet they end up getting a blondie for teh laydeez!!

ScarletSpeed
Originally posted by H. S. 6
Please re-read what you just posted.

haha, nah I mean it's not as if they will not cast him cause he has done a DC movielaughing

BruceSkywalker
How would it be a huge disaster just because the character's appearance is a couple years older? Wouldn't you prefer a good actor over a pretty face?

Well I highly doubt every Captain America fan wants to see someone in their late 30's or 40's playing such an iconic character. Just because Robert Downey, Jr was perfect for Iron Man doesn't mean Matt McConaughey is perfect for this role. Also I never realized that CA would talk like Matt McConaughey. Since when does good acting turn into a successful franchise. Not always. For this role of Steve Rogers/Captain America I prefer someone young between 20-24. Also I want said actor learn the martial arts and do most if not all his stunts.

i still think they should have Justin Hartley play young Cap.

Hartley could work.

ScarletSpeed
Originally posted by Juk3n
I vote Nathan Fillion to play Cap, the guy would rock.

Looks the pert too - but i bet they end up getting a blondie for teh laydeez!!

no they will get a blondie because that is Cap laughing out loud

Juk3n
no they will get a blondie because that is Cap laughing out loud

that too ^^, but i think he'd still be great ;-)

ScarletSpeed
Sorry I just really, really can't see him as Capno expression

I just keep picturing him in 2 guys and a girllaughing out loud

Juk3n
Sorry I just really, really can't see him as Capno expression

I just keep picturing him in 2 guys and a girllaughing out loud

2GaaG is one of my faves, good old wit firing on all cylinders

ScarletSpeed
Originally posted by Juk3n
2GaaG is one of my faves, good old wit firing on all cylinders

Yeah Berg and Pete are too funny.

Ryan Reynoldsbig grin

stickman618
Ryan Reynolds for CA??

looks the part but i don't know how well he can pull off a more serious role, i couldn't help but laugh a little for every scene he had in Blade 3

ScarletSpeed
Ryan Reynolds for CA??

looks the part but i don't know how well he can pull off a more serious role, i couldn't help but laugh a little for every scene he had in Blade 3

No I wasn't meaning use him as Cap laughing out loud

Juken was saying that Nathan Fillion would be good and I was saying that I can only picture him in his comedic role alongside Ryan Reynolds in the tv show "2guys a girl and a pizza place"

awesome

Alpha Centauri
Brendan Fraser would be good.

I hope that isn't the set title, though.

-AC

SpaceMonkey
Has anyone seen the clip in Ironman were supposedly Stark has the Capt. America shield on a table? I saw the clip on youtube, and it looks kind of like it might be true.

Not sure if I am allowed to post that link here.

Kazenji
That clip is bullshit

Theres nothing in that scene that looks like a shield to me.

stickman618
now that i think about it, the super soldier serum was made by Stark Industries, maybe he was(off screen) pulling up some old files on his computer

but in that scene it looks more like it's on his computer and not the actual sheild

SpaceMonkey
That clip is bullshit

Theres nothing in that scene that looks like a shield to me.

So quick to dismiss! Haha

now that i think about it, the super soldier serum was made by Stark Industries, maybe he was(off screen) pulling up some old files on his computer

but in that scene it looks more like it's on his computer and not the actual sheild

Stark was aware of everything involved in the failed SSS experiments, so why would he NOT have something that was used by a previous test subject.

I'm not saying that it's 100% true or a sure thing, but a little easter egg like that might be cool once they tie everything in later on.

roughrider
I believe Kevin Feige at Marvel has confirmed that was the shield, sitting on the table. eek!

SpaceMonkey
I believe Kevin Feige at Marvel has confirmed that was the shield, sitting on the table. eek!

Where did you hear that?

Endrict Nuul
http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=7531

Source: Silas Lesnick
July 24, 2008

John Barrowman, the star of "Torchwood," was just asked moments ago at the San Diego Comic-Con panel if there was any possibility that he would be playing Captain America in the upcoming feature film.

He smiled and gave the stock answer that he'd love to play the character and that Captain America has always been his favorite comic book superhero. Clearly, though, the notion did not take him by surprise and he ended up admitting there had been discussions with his agents and meetings on that very issue.

What do you think? Though maybe not the star-power that the studio might be looking for, Barrowman certainly fits the bill. We'll bring you more news as it develops.

The First Avenger: Captain America is currently scheduled for a May 6, 2011 release.

SpaceMonkey
I certainly hope it's not this guy.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Endrict Nuul
http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=7531

Source: Silas Lesnick
July 24, 2008

John Barrowman, the star of "Torchwood," was just asked moments ago at the San Diego Comic-Con panel if there was any possibility that he would be playing Captain America in the upcoming feature film.

He smiled and gave the stock answer that he'd love to play the character and that Captain America has always been his favorite comic book superhero. Clearly, though, the notion did not take him by surprise and he ended up admitting there had been discussions with his agents and meetings on that very issue.

What do you think? Though maybe not the star-power that the studio might be looking for, Barrowman certainly fits the bill. We'll bring you more news as it develops.

The First Avenger: Captain America is currently scheduled for a May 6, 2011 release.

I read that and threw up

Kazenji
Whats wrong with him being capt is it because he's gay ??

stickman618
he doesn't look the part to me

Endrict Nuul

Just add blonde hair to him and DA DA!!

Endrict Nuul
I want them to cast...Matthew McConaughey.

stickman618
it's not the hair, it's the face, i don't know why but it annoys me

roughrider

He looks all right to me. Better than this rumour of Leonardo DiCaprio.

SpaceMonkey
His face sucks! He needs to be more rugged, like he has been through some crap.

Endrict Nuul
Originally posted by SpaceMonkey
His face sucks! He needs to be more rugged, like he has been through some crap.

It's called cosmetics.

roughrider
I think it's going to be another year before we hear any castings. The film's coming out May 2011 - the lead actor should be in place by summer-fall of 2009, in time for the film to wrap principal shooting in mid 2010.

SpaceMonkey
It's called cosmetics.

Cosmetics can only do so much. It's part of the personality.

stickman618
He looks all right to me. Better than this rumour of Leonardo DiCaprio.

oh god, please not Leo DiCrapio

Endrict Nuul
Cosmetics can only do so much. It's part of the personality.

That can change if the actor is willing to work hard. I didn't like A Knights Tale with Heath but he work to death on the Joker role and look what happen? Matthew McConaughey also did a good job in U-571 and was badass in Reign of Fire.

Matt Damon is my other choice.

SpaceMonkey
Damon might be good. I'll give you that.

BruceSkywalker

K3VIL
To me Jason Statham would fit the role perfectly.He's already well built, he just needs to put on a bit more pounds.In the Transporter franchise he has showed how good he is in portraying a character who relies mostly on HTH combat, and also seeing how good he was with unconventional weapons, imagine what he could do with the shield.Not to mention he has great acting skills.

roughrider
Originally posted by K3VIL
To me Jason Statham would fit the role perfectly.He's already well built, he just needs to put on a bit more pounds.In the Transporter franchise he has showed how good he is in portraying a character who relies mostly on HTH combat, and also seeing how good he was with unconventional weapons, imagine what he could do with the shield.Not to mention he has great acting skills.

I don't think Jason Statham can do a convincing American accent without sounding like a Clint Eastwood clone. And a blond wig on him might look silly; the shaved head is his look.

stickman618
i agree, Jason Statham in a blond wig and american accent doesn't go well

BruceSkywalker
i agree, Jason Statham in a blond wig and american accent doesn't go well

I concur also

Condor
I've been saying this for years, on any message board I've been in contact with: Theres's only one man who was born to play Cap, and that is actor Jason Lewis. Anything else will be a disappointment to me.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Condor
I've been saying this for years, on any message board I've been in contact with: Theres's only one man who was born to play Cap, and that is actor Jason Lewis. Anything else will be a disappointment to me.

He can't act..

Condor
He can't act..

Well actually he hasn't really been given any substantial roles yet......other than Sex in the City and a small role in "Mr. Brooks" (off the top of my head).

Besides, it doesn't take an Oscar winner to convey Cap effectively. A guy with Bruce Willis' type range could pull it off.

BruceSkywalker
Well actually he hasn't really been given any substantial roles yet......other than Sex in the City and a small role in "Mr. Brooks" (off the top of my head).

Besides, it doesn't take an Oscar winner to convey Cap effectively. A guy with Bruce Willis' type range could pull it off.

Bruce Willis is too old for CAP also. You need more than some sort of pretty boy to portray Steve Rogers/Cap. You also want the actor to do some of his own stunts

fredstawill
it would probably be a ww2 movie with them stubling across his body at the end or the otherway round where he gets found and it goes into the past then present and so on

Condor
Bruce Willis is too old for CAP also. You need more than some sort of pretty boy to portray Steve Rogers/Cap. You also want the actor to do some of his own stunts

I didn't say Willis would be a good choice, in fact he would be horrible, what I said was somebody with HIS TYPE OF ACTING RANGE......for example, able to convincingly convey emotions such as anger, fear, rage, and pain, all the while coming off as a normal person.

I do agree however that a pretty boy will not suffice, but there is something about Lewis that makes me think he has it in him.

BruceSkywalker
I didn't say Willis would be a good choice, in fact he would be horrible, what I said was somebody with HIS TYPE OF ACTING RANGE......for example, able to convincingly convey emotions such as anger, fear, rage, and pain, all the while coming off as a normal person.

I do agree however that a pretty boy will not suffice, but there is something about Lewis that makes me think he has it in him.

Regarding Wilis, I was trying to get you to laugh a little. Personally I hope a young actor between 21 and 24 is hired.

BruceSkywalker
To those of you who watch that god awdul show American Gladiators. It seems Mike O'Hearn or Titan as he is known on the show is possibly up for two roles, one being Captain America..

http://www.movieweb.com/news/26/30526.php

SpaceMonkey
I think someone a bit older and more rugged looking than the average Hollywood pretty boy would be best for this role. Close to how Tim Roth looked in Hulk.

stickman618
he needs to look friendly

fredstawill
itl probs be a WW2 movie

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by fredstawill
itl probs be a WW2 movie

From what I've read it's supposed to be a period piece. Take place during WW2 and then flash forward to the present.

BruceSkywalker
Today I heard the most wild and crazy rumor..

WILL SMITH POSSIBLY

SpaceMonkey

WILL SMITH POSSIBLY

If this rumor is true, I will be sorely disappointed. That guy sucks!!!!

Endrict Nuul
How about Dominic Purcell?? He can act and has the shape.

http://rosie-demario.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/dominic-purcell-john-doe-001.jpg

jalek moye

WILL SMITH POSSIBLY
that would be so retarded, a black guy playing captain america would be hella dumb

Endrict Nuul
Maybe as Falcon, Will can work as that.

BruceSkywalker
How about Dominic Purcell?? He can act and has the shape.

http://rosie-demario.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/dominic-purcell-john-doe-001.jpg

I've seen some of his work. Purcell could pull everything off

Warrior18
Originally posted by jalek moye
that would be so retarded, a black guy playing captain america would be hella dumb

Hopefully the guy who started it got him mixed up with Isaiah Bradley who could make an appearance in the film I suppose.
I really hope they cast cap as he is supposed to be, white. Can you imagine them doing this to Luke Cage or Black Panther. lol

SnakeEyes
I could see Patrick Wilson (Nite Owl in the upcoming Watchmen film) as Cap. He's a decent actor, unlike a bunch of the muscle-heads or pretty-boys that have been named in this thread who have no talent. He's the right age (35) and well... American.

Anywho, the thought just popped into my head.

jalek moye
i picture cap being an actor thats less known or just starting his career. I just can't think of an actor who would do a good him, we need some new acting talent anyway

Blind
Purcell and Damon are about the best logical choices I have heard so far on this. The "Dr. Who" fan in me almost crapped when I saw Barrowman's name, but seriously? No. Not because he's gay, he just doesn't really look the part to me.

I have thought since the Jason Bourne movies that Damon would be perfect for Cap.

And as for the story line of the movie, I thought the entire movie was going to be set in WW2 and he was going to fall into the ice at the end of it, freeze, and at the very, very end either be found, or at the very beginning of the Avengers movie be found.

That would just make more sense and would totally be more interesting to me. Plus, they HAVE to have Bucky in the old WW2 shots.

Who would play Bucky???

Here's another question - Who should be Zemo, Red Skull, etc.?

Would you rather Skull's head be a rubber mask or CGI for the film?

Maybe Seth MacFarlane could do one of their voices...

Blind
Oh and God please, PLEASE let Ed Brubaker have some sort of say on the script - JEPH LOEB HANDS OFF!!!

stickman618
Damon would be good, he can look all geeky for the before part, then wear tighter clothes for after the procedure

Kazenji
Not sure if this has been posted but heres a plot synopsis for the movie from marvel

http://www.joblo.com/cap-america-plot

SnakeEyes
I'm still hoping that they'll change the title. "The First Avenger" part just sucks dick.

BruceSkywalker
Not sure if this has been posted but heres a plot synopsis for the movie from marvel

http://www.joblo.com/cap-america-plot

The plot seems fair. I have to wait and see how it plays on screen

Blind
Come on... that's pretty vague.

Fanboy
If this rumor is true, I will be sorely disappointed. That guy sucks!!!!

What? He is very talented you are probably just mad he is more talented then your favorite actor now Taye Diggs sucks.

SpaceMonkey
Hahaha!! Taye Diggs! That's great!! Another guy that would not do a suitable job. I do like him better, however. Regardless, neither of them for this role.

SpaceMonkey
I found this on Yahoo. Cap of the Cap in TIH.

roughrider

He should be trapped in a block of ice; not a body lying covered in snow. How's that supposed to keep him preserved?

stickman618
maybe he thawed out

jalek moye
i know him in the hulk is crappy, and way too unnoticable. and yea he should be in ice like everyone expected them to mean by frozen

Kazenji
TIH...."The Incredible Hulk" i'm guessing

and i don't remember any ice in that movie.

Endrict Nuul
TIH...."The Incredible Hulk" i'm guessing

and i don't remember any ice in that movie.

It could have been on the special 3 disc DVD edition.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Blind
Come on... that's pretty vague.

That is why I will wait and see when the film comes out...

I saw the same pic on another site, but yet I still can't see anything.

Markus Corvinus
I can't wait for this movie to come out. We basically got a glimpse of how Captain America will move when in action when we saw Emil Blonsky in TIH, but it should be amped up a little in CM's movie. I can't wait.

SpaceMonkey
Originally posted by Markus Corvinus
I can't wait for this movie to come out. We basically got a glimpse of how Captain America will move when in action when we saw Emil Blonsky in TIH, but it should be amped up a little in CM's movie. I can't wait.

My sentiments exactly! That was my favorite part of TIH. I loved how they made the Super Soldier experiment a big part of that movie so that when we watch the Captain's own movie we'll have an idea of what the deal is.

Markus Corvinus
Plus, in the alternate opening there's that silhoutte of Captain America as well. Regarding Blonsky, I too loved that the super soldier serum was still something of importance. I'd love to see if they import that into the Avengers movie, and have something like Ross creating a team of super soldiers or something, since he has almost always has some sort of new secret agenda.

Quincy

SpaceMonkey
I hope this guy does a good job.

BruceSkywalker

Blind
with the combination of movies he's worked on, how could you not be a little excited hearing this???

roughrider
Joe Johnston was a protege of both George Lucas & Steven Spielberg, working all those years at ILM - I think he was the one who designed Boba Fett. cool
His filmography doesn't compare to the two others, but he's a capable director who knows action & FX.

jalek moye
I feel for this movie they need to cast someone not really known but looks like him and acts well. I feel captain america doesn't need a big name actor behind it

roughrider
Originally posted by jalek moye
I feel for this movie they need to cast someone not really known but looks like him and acts well. I feel captain america doesn't need a big name actor behind it

I don't know if it's better to get a complete unknown or not. Funny how some characters are cast differently - Superman actors are total unknowns, Batman actors are name actors at least. Why do different rules apply?
I might lean towards getting a name actor.

Endrict Nuul
Captain America is America. They shouldnt get some no name actor to play this part.

SpaceMonkey
I think since Captain America will pretty much be the leader of the Avengers, he needs to be a star. Like I stated on the Thor thread, I think the only character they can get away with casting a lesser known actor is Thor.

Endrict Nuul
I think since Captain America will pretty much be the leader of the Avengers, he needs to be a star. Like I stated on the Thor thread, I think the only character they can get away with casting a lesser known actor is Thor.

Agreed.

roughrider
You have to believe he can take command over other personalities like Thor & Iron Man. You got to believe it's someone Robert Downey Jr. would follow( and can compete with him on the big screen.)

BruceSkywalker
I don't know if it's better to get a complete unknown or not. Funny how some characters are cast differently - Superman actors are total unknowns, Batman actors are name actors at least. Why do different rules apply?
I might lean towards getting a name actor.

To me I think its about money issues..

I think also what actor, whether its a name or no name can best fit a comic book character..

What worked for previous comic book roles may not work here for Capt. America

jalek moye
thats what i mean i cant think of a star who can really do steve justice. hes the type of character that you need to make a star from

Blind
Who's the dude who plays Captain Awesome on "Chuck?" That guy is perfect for the role!

Cavalier
I see no need for a name actor. If the actor portrays Cap's role well, people will follow him... if I have some actor up there who can't play Cap at all, but who's mildly famous, I won't be at all compelled in the way Cap should compel people. The arguments for name actors are pretty hollow.

Badabing
Meh, I didn't know Bale and was fine watching him play Batman.

Cavalier
On the other hand, people knew who George Clooney was and many hate his Batman.

Endrict Nuul
Catwoman anyone?

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Blind
Who's the dude who plays Captain Awesome on "Chuck?" That guy is perfect for the role!

thats ryan mcpartlin..

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/6218/ryhq1.jpg

stickman618
getting Captain Awesome to play Captain America??

not a bad choice

and yeah, you don't need a big actor to make a good movie

anyone remember Dare Devil?? Ben Affleck was pretty famous and that movie sucked. Tobey Maguire wasn't that famous when he did Spider-man, and it was great

what you have to understand is that they have a finite budget for movies, spend money on the actor or the writers, that's what it usually comes down to

roughrider
Sometimes the choice is just as critical as to who plays the villain.
Who could play the Red Skull?

SpaceMonkey

anyone remember Dare Devil?? Ben Affleck was pretty famous and that movie sucked. Tobey Maguire wasn't that famous when he did Spider-man, and it was great

Daredevil wasn't THAT bad.... I liked it. As for MaGuire and Spiderman, both are crappy.

I feel that if they could get a cast like the one in the Ocean's movies together you can do it for The Avengers. That was 12-14 people whereas this will be about 5-6 people.

BruceSkywalker

The Red Skull, now that may be played by a known foreign actor..

who that may be I 've no idea

Endrict Nuul

Red IMO has the better acting part than Cap, thus the actor must have the skills.

Thinking...

Endrict Nuul
Sean Bean
Jeremy Irons
Joaquin Phoenix
Ralph Fiennes

Some people I can think of.

Nihilist
jenson eckles or matt damon for cap

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>