R.I.P. George Carlin

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DanZeke25
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080623/ts_nm/carlin_dc_2

crybabycrybabycrybabycrybaby

Selphie
Oh damn

AbnormalButSane
sad

KMC's Superboy
god mother ****ing damn it that is not ****ing fair

Ax3l
I have one of his books right next to my bed.

Selphie
Didn't he have his own show lined up and everything?

Toku King
Originally posted by DanZeke25
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080623/ts_nm/carlin_dc_2

crybabycrybabycrybabycrybaby

WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I liked him, dammit!

Rogue Jedi
RIP George, thanks for the laughs

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg183/jedibeastie/junk/untitled.jpg

guy222
RIP George

dadudemon
Pervert?

Yes.

Controversial?

Sometimes.

Funny?

Hell f**kin yeah. He had to die sooner or later. Based on what even he admitted about his life style, it was going to be sooner. I'm surprised he lived that long.

KMC's Superboy
crybabyRESTcrybabyINcrybabyPEACEcrybabyGEORGEcryba
bycrybaby

AngryManatee
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25322638/&GT1=43001

sad

Vinny Valentine
"At a formal dinner party, the person nearest death should always be seated closest to the bathroom." - George Carlin

R.I.P ... Best Comedian to walk this earth.

ragesRemorse
Oh ****, this is god damned depressing.

KMC's Superboy
http://youtube.com/watch?v=h67k9eEw9AY

KMC's Superboy
http://youtube.com/watch?v=h67k9eEw9AY

Phucked Up
****ing hell. cry I love George Carlin.

geshien
R.I.P. George.

You will be missed, you son of a *****.

KidRock
Meh, I didnt find him that funny. All of his post 1990 shit was just him moaning and bitching about religion and politics.

BackFire
Oh my God.

Rogue Jedi
RIP George, thanks for the laughs

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg183/jedibeastie/junk/untitled.jpg

BackFire
I'm seriously stunned. When I read this I actually said "Oh my God" out loud. I've never done that before for a celebrity death.

Rogue Jedi
My fave comedian of all time.

Bardock42
Ah, damn....I liked his stuff.

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by Vinny Valentine
Best Comedian to walk this earth.

Why, because he just died?

Sorry, but the crown still belongs to Pryor.

Originally posted by KidRock
Meh, I didnt find him that funny. All of his post 1990 shit was just him moaning and bitching about religion and politics.

BackFire
I liked Carlin more than Pryor.

And many people thought he was the best before he died.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Quiero Mota

Pryor is good. I prefer Bill Hicks though. Also Doug Stanhope and Stewart Lee. Pryor's good though. About as good as Carlin.

Devil King

That's because a lot of people, before 1990, thought he was conservative. But he wasn't. He's what most conservatives don't get about being liberal, that they don't have to be the pansy tree-huggers that you guys think they all are. I'm fairly certain he's never had to adjust a gold bracelett while wearing a tank-top and holding a beer in one hand and bracing himself on a jeep's roll bar with the other.

Schecter
why couldn't it have been jeff foxworthy or larry the cable guy?

there is no god

Bardock42
Originally posted by Schecter

there is no god

Well, at least that age old dilemma is solved.

ragesRemorse
God dammit, who the fook else is going to talk us through this circus?

lord xyz
Meh, I didnt find him that funny. All of his post 1990 shit was just him moaning and bitching about religion and politics. Yeah, real shame when someone doesn't like republicans or Christianity.

KidRock
Originally posted by lord xyz
Yeah, real shame when someone doesn't like republicans or Christianity.

roll eyes (sarcastic)

Originally posted by Devil King
That's because a lot of people, before 1990, thought he was conservative. But he wasn't. He's what most conservatives don't get about being liberal, that they don't have to be the pansy tree-huggers that you guys think they all are. I'm fairly certain he's never had to adjust a gold bracelett while wearing a tank-top and holding a beer in one hand and bracing himself on a jeep's roll bar with the other.

You would consider Carlin a liberal? Guy seemed pretty much straight anarchist to me.

R.I.P though..I did enjoy his earlier work.

Rodney Dangerfield will always be number 1 to me though.

LilyMaree
Oh no...
This is the worst day I've ever had in the past 3 months.
Not only is my favourite comedian now gone, but my laptop too.... ****ing hell...

lord xyz
roll eyes (sarcastic)

You would consider Carlin a liberal? Guy seemed pretty much straight anarchist to me.

R.I.P though..I did enjoy his earlier work.

Rodney Dangerfield will always be number 1 to me though. I'm sure you liked his liberal and muslim stuff. Actually, Liberals and Muslims are the same, since those against Bush are terrorists, and all terrorists are muslims.

Bardock42
Originally posted by LilyMaree
Oh no...
This is the worst day I've ever had in the past 3 months.
Not only is my favourite comedian now gone, but my laptop too.... ****ing hell...

And it's Monday.

LilyMaree
Originally posted by Bardock42
And it's Monday.

Oh God.
Monday's officially a cursed day.

KidRock
I'm sure you liked his liberal and muslim stuff. Actually, Liberals and Muslims are the same, since those against Bush are terrorists, and all terrorists are muslims.

Real considerate to troll a thread where people are giving their thoughts on a famous comedian that has just died yesterday.

LilyMaree
I'm sure you liked his liberal and muslim stuff. Actually, Liberals and Muslims are the same, since those against Bush are terrorists, and all terrorists are muslims.

Real considerate to troll a thread where people are giving their thoughts on a famous comedian that has just died yesterday.

And I'm a Muslim. no expression
Edit:
Not all terrorists are Muslim ya know.
Don't go blaming the Muslims for being 'terrorists'.
And that's rather a stray from the actual topic so yeah.
Shush.

Bardock42
Yeah, mate, just STFU. We get it you are a libtard. Go away now.

Bicnarok
never heard of him

Mr Parker
Man I cant believe you.He was a really hilarious comedian.Practically everybody I know has heard of him.

Alpha Centauri
Dane Cook will live until he's 98.

That's the shit thing.

-AC

Kelly_Bean
I only saw him in Bill and Ted and yesterday on a small clip of some comedy (which he was making fun of religion and I did not find that funny). This is kind of irrelevant to me.

WrathfulDwarf
I personally think he was way overrated and he was only famous because of his fanbase which included fellow comedians.

But that's not important anymore. He's gone and will be remember.

R.I.P. George Carlin.

Bardock42
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
I personally think he was way overrated and he was only famous because of his fanbase which included fellow comedians.

But that's not important anymore. He's gone and will be remember.

R.I.P. George Carlin. *ed

celestialdemon
This sucks. He was my all-time favorite comedian. Even though he wasn't as funny as he used to be, he was still better than 75% of the comedians alive today. He will be missed a whole lot.

Kumori Okami
I awoke this morning to find this on the local news... I haven't been so upset since Johnny Cash died... Damn... This sucks most royally.

RIP, George.

BruceSkywalker
Great comedian. Made me constantly laugh. He will be missed..

Devil King
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Dane Cook will live until he's 98.

That's the shit thing.

-AC

What's not to like about a guy who speaks into the back of his hand, who goes left across the stage AND THEN RIGHT ALL OF THE SUDDEN! *weren't expecting that, huh* and does it while walking with his knees together?

Robtard
Dane Cook was a fizzle in the frying pan, Carlin's comedy will be remembered/admired for years to come. Essentially out-living other subpar comics.

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by celestialdemon
This sucks. He was my all-time favorite comedian. Even though he wasn't as funny as he used to be, he was still better than 75% of the comedians alive today. He will be missed a whole lot.

Talk about damning with faint praise. I'm sure he was in a more exclusive percentile than that.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
Talk about damning with faint praise. I'm sure he was in a more exclusive percentile than that. Likely, I am sure even Dane Cook is almost better than 50'%

Making up statistics is fun.

Impediment
I was in my truck this morning listening to the radio and I found out that George died. I almost couldn't breathe.

George Carlin was, and always will be, one of the greatest entertainers this world has ever seen. His comic genius was always razor sharp and cutting edge with the times we live in.

I first discovered George's material when I was around 10 years old. His concert, Back in Town, was playing on HBO and I watched it all the way through and instantly became a fan.

George has influenced many, many comedians that are around today, and, also, many of his fans, as well.

It's a dirty shame that George Carlin, Sam Kinison, and Bill Hicks are gone from this world, and Dane Cook, Larry the Cable Guy, and Carrot Top are still performing.

Thank you for the laughs, George. If there really is a god, and you meet him, kick him in the nuts for me.

Toku King

I didn't think Pryor was all that funny.
Carlin, however, was and always will be funny.

Impediment
Richard Pryor was a genius in his own way, too. He was a very funny man.

celestialdemon
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
Talk about damning with faint praise. I'm sure he was in a more exclusive percentile than that.

I'm not damning him. I'm just willing to admit that his most recent material wasn't nearly as good as his stuff in the 70's and 80's. That's ok with me, though, because he was still very funny.

Morning_Glory
crytissue RIP

Impediment
I think I'll make a sig in his memory. Call it cheesy, if you will, but I think it only appropriate.

celestialdemon
Originally posted by Impediment
I think I'll make a sig in his memory. Call it cheesy, if you will, but I think it only appropriate.

Very cool.

Impediment
I'm probably going to keep this for a while. I'll most likely change the quotes at random every few days.

Röland
"The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."

Truly an awesome comedian.

R.I.P. George.

Impediment

Deano
smart man he is.

he will be missed

Impediment
While the server was down I watched the Larry King tribute to George Carlin on CNN. It was actually very moving.

Kelly_Bean
Most people think Heath Ledger was way too overrated, this is what I think about George Carlin, especially after seeing a lot of you as upset as you are (or are claiming to be).

Bardock42
Originally posted by Kelly_Bean
Most people think Heath Ledger was way too overrated, this is what I think about George Carlin, especially after seeing a lot of you as upset as you are (or are claiming to be).

He was one of the better comedians for sure. Now, he was like 71 already, so I doubt people were as shocked as they were when Heath Ledger died. But I agree with you that often if someone dies, people have a sort of strong reaction to glorify them...probably just some weird sentimentality issue...

That said, George Carlin was great.

BlackSunshine
I always enjoyed George Carlin. He was a great comedian. It does aggravate me that we lose the good comedians, actors, musicians and singers and then we're left with the crap of the world.

R.I.P. George...you will truly be remembered

=Tired Hiker=
I kept meaning to go see him, he performed at the Orleans here in Vegas all the time. Oh well, rest in peace, George.

K-Dog
Smart funny guy. I'm not into the cussing type comedians though. I read about him that he wanted originally to be like Danny Kaye and be cleaner, but it just didn't work for him.

big juggy man
Who cares about George Carlin really?A vulgar loser comedian who instead of being funny just tried to offend people.

Impediment
Originally posted by big juggy man
Who cares about George Carlin really?A vulgar loser comedian who instead of being funny just tried to offend people.

I pity your ignorance.

Impediment

Well, now I understand how you felt when Ledger died.

However, in 50+ years of comedy, George gave the world, in my opinion, far, far more than Ledger would have had he lived to be Carlin's age.

=Tired Hiker=

Comparing anyones death to anyone elses is just disrespectful and unnecessary in so many ways.

Quiero Mota

However, in 50+ years of comedy, George gave the world, in my opinion, far, far more than Ledger would have had he lived to be Carlin's age.

When it comes to performing, "giving" is subjective. Ledger is like JFK, because he died before anyone could really see how he would turn out. But based on what he did before he died, Heath was a good actor and if he lived to be in his 70's, he no doubt would've had an impressive filmography by then.

Impediment
When it comes to performing, "giving" is subjective. Ledger is like JFK, because he died before anyone could really see how he would turn out. But based on what he did before he died, Heath was a good actor and if he lived to be in his 70's, he no doubt would've had an impressive filmography by then.

I'll agree to that, sir. Very true.

However, I fail to see the JFK comparison.

Quiero Mota
I'll agree to that, sir. Very true.

However, I fail to see the JFK comparison.

Both of their lives were cut short before they reached their potential in their careers.

JFK was bumped 3 years into his presidency, and Ledger was an actor who died before he was 30.

Impediment
Do you feel that JFK had that much more potential in his cut-short presidency? How, if you don't mind my asking?

Impediment
A George Carlin clip
Nzvm8k5kSjs

Kelly_Bean

And what exactly was/is that?

Alpha Centauri
I think we really ought to be asking why someone who finds Jackass to be comedy worthy of their time would honestly understand why Carlin is missed.

What did Heath Ledger actually do? Not "He would have...". What did he actually give his fans? A few movies? Carlin was a comedian renowned by many different crowds for many decades.

Even if his performance in The Dark Knight is stellar, it won't match. George Carlin being overrated is an opinion that doesn't really bother me, I may even agree...a bit, but the fact is...he has more material to be rated in ANY sense. Over, under or fairly rated. What does Ledger have? A Knight's Tale, Brokeback Mountain, Ned Kelly and...death?

-AC

Robtard
George Carlin, my favorite comic. Always wanted to see him perform live. Oh well, my ass waited too long.

His comedic satire comes second to none, imo. I can understand why people think his work is overrated or not funny, some people prefer thier humor served ala Gallagher, Foxworthy or Cook. Which I think is shit.

Quiero Mota
Do you feel that JFK had that much more potential in his cut-short presidency? How, if you don't mind my asking?

Is the Pope Catholic?

Almost every single presidential historian agrees that JFK would have won re-election in 1964. And had he not been killed, Vietnam and the 60's in general would have been very different. Eisenhower first okayed sending advisers (not troops) to Vietnam. When Kennedy became president, he allowed the US advisory in Vietnam to continue to train the AVRN, but he still didn't commit troops. When he got offed, Vietnam fell into LBJ's lap, and he fumbled the Gulk of Tonkin Incident, and commissioned Operation: Rolling Thunder, something JFK would not have done. LBJ really screwed the pooch, and didn't re-run in '68 because he was so unpopular.

So I agree with the consensus that JFK would not have allowed it to turn into a 12-year full-scale war, that wasn't even a declared war: it was a "conflict". I also totally reject the Warren Commission.

Menetnashté
A George Carlin clip
Nzvm8k5kSjs
I'd never really watched him before, but after watching several Youtube videos I've got to say I don't find him the least bit funny, I find him overrated and think people as low as Carlos Mencia's caliber can be funnier. erm

Impediment

Röland
And what exactly was/is that?
For one, he helped reinvent stand up comedy. When he first started, he touched on many taboo subjects that many people found offensive to publicly talk about, the beauty is that he didn't give a f*ck about what others thought and did his routine whether you wanted to hear it or not. This was a big deal back in the 70's.

His form of comedy was dark and vulgar, but his ability to mix in his views on society, the government and other subjects while still remaining funny was what made him great.

Mairuzu
what a shame

Impediment
George had brains and balls.

P-Geyser
Amen Brother AMEN. Rest in Peace Mr Carlin. I hope you guys are enjoying HBO's detication to him thats on tonight.

Devil King
When he first started, he was as clean-cut and PC as any other comic of the day.

Quincy

Menetnashté
Originally posted by Quincy
that's just a bad opinion. It's like, wrong.

Here's to George : One funny son of a *****
Nah, I'm pretty sure I hit the nail on the head.

Devil King
Originally posted by P-Geyser
Amen Brother AMEN. Rest in Peace Mr Carlin. I hope you guys are enjoying HBO's detication to him thats on tonight.

More like dreading the fact that it goes on for 10 hours because of the east coast/west coast replays. I liked the guy, but how dare his death interfere with my notion of original programming? I'm sure he would agree with me.

Impediment

P-Geyser
More like dreading the fact that it goes on for 10 hours because of the east coast/west coast replays. I liked the guy, but how dare his death interfere with my notion of original programming? I'm sure he would agree with me.

Heh Heh Heh.....your right. I drew a pic of ol George using a painting program...hope you &*(%# like it but if not, go @$#% YOURSELVES!.. mad wink

Bardock42
No, she was right the first time. That's just one person's opinion. Well, to be fair he stated that that is only what he thinks, and he did likely hit the nail on the head with that. Whilc Quincy said that his opinion is wrong.

Obviously, his opinion is wrong, but still.

BackFire
Carlin was cool.

Way cooler than Bardock.

Sadako of Girth
I just heard. sad

Fu**.

The world definitely seems 20% dumber now.

May Pesci rest his soul.

celestialdemon
They ran a George Carlin marathon Saturday night on HBO. It went on for 12 hours, and showed 10 of his stand ups back to back. You'd better believe I recorded each one.

Impediment
Originally posted by Sadako of Girth
May Pesci rest his soul.

Pesci Damn right. yes

Darth Demise
rip comedy god. rip

Devil King
Originally posted by BackFire
Carlin was cool.

Way cooler than Bardock.

I like how you qualify one statement by setting the bar so high and then set that same bar so low with the next.

Bardock42
I like how you qualify one statement by setting the bar so high and then set that same bar so low with the next. That's mean sad

BackFire
Don't pretend that you have feelings.

Bardock42
Originally posted by BackFire
Don't pretend that you have feelings.

I didn't. I use smilies for manipulative purposes only.

BackFire
That's more like it.

Impediment
A clip from George's final show: It's bad for Ya.

YA_fA2j_Qvw

Man, I'm gonna miss the laughs.

Admiral Akbar
lol. Here is another video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvZCktFTI3w

Impediment
One full year without George's genius. I'm actually sad.

Thank you, George, for all that you gave to me. I'll never stop listening to your albums.

Here's a clip:

MeSSwKffj9o

FeelGood
Originally posted by Bicnarok
never heard of him

Watched the cat thing and didn't find it funny, shame.

FeelGood
Originally posted by FeelGood
Watched the cat thing and didn't find it funny, shame.

Smiled at his jokes, didn't laugh but I don't find stand up that funny anyway.

The Scribe
Originally posted by Schecter

there is no god

I will pretend I didn't read that. glare disgust

I didn't agree with him on religion.

He's dead on in this clip.

Who Owns You America?

Impediment
I agree.

Still, he did, and accomplished, more than any stand-up comic ever.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.