fuel prices

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Bicnarok

dadudemon

WrathfulDwarf
We're gonna have to go Communist Peking pretty soon....ride bicycles.

How much are guys in Europe are paying for premium?

botankus
It costs me $18 a day to go to and from work, and I drive a Ford Focus.

dadudemon
Originally posted by botankus
It costs me $18 a day to go to and from work, and I drive a Ford Focus.

Public transporation ftw?

You can also move closer to your employer.

If you make more than enough money with also accounting for the housing differential, then you are doing exactly what you should be doing. It's all about maximizing your income.

ragesRemorse
Here in Pittsburgh, public transportation is very expensive and unreliable. For a one way zone it costs, $2.50. The Bus drivers just recently went on strike and are once again planning to strike in the fall. So, that $2.50 will probably reach the $4 mark for a transfer. Bus drivers in this city make an obscene amount of money. From 30-65 thousand dollars. That is more than a registered nurse makes in this city....,ridiculous. And they may even end up making more after this next strike. However, Costing $50-60 to fill the gas tank on top of $20 a day for parking is not something many people can afford.

I hope Iran hurries up and invades Israel so Gas can rocket up to $400 a barrel

botankus
Originally posted by dadudemon
Public transporation ftw?

You can also move closer to your employer.

If you make more than enough money with also accounting for the housing differential, then you are doing exactly what you should be doing. It's all about maximizing your income.
I work in a town with corn fields, my factory, and a bunch of pig-throat-slashing hicks (Smithfield Pork). I live near a city with 400,000 people. However, I really like the job and the pay.

dadudemon
I work in a town with corn fields, my factory, and a bunch of pig-throat-slashing hicks (Smithfield Pork). I live near a city with 400,000 people. However, I really like the job and the pay.

They have fully electric scooters that have a tangible range of 100 miles per charge. (they say 150....but usually real world is 100). These same people also say it increasess your monthly electic bill like 5-10 dollars.

Other than looking like a dorky tree hugger, it sounds like it would save you a butt load of money.

$20 a day?

DAAAAAAUUUHHM!

=Tired Hiker=
I have a work car and a gas card, so I don't pay for gas. But if I did have to drive my own car to work every day, I'd probably buy a scooter.

dadudemon
Originally posted by =Tired Hiker=
I have a work car and a gas card, so I don't pay for gas. But if I did have to drive my own car to work every day, I'd probably buy a scooter.

Damn you and your camera-man benefits.

I had a room mate that was a camera man...made really jealous when he told about that gas benefit thingie. On the negative side for you, you can't drive around in the company car on their gas...without paying for it...at least that's the way it was with my room mate. He couldn't drive it any where non-work realted unless he got permission.

GCG

AngryManatee
We're still not paying as much as Europe, but our gas prices have more than quadrupled in the last decade as opposed to just doubled in Europe. Horray for the falling value of the dollar o_o

LilyMaree
Here in Malaysia we pay RM180 for a full tank.

Deja~vu
They cheat at the pumps. I read about it but never experienced it until today. I put in enough for a 1/4 tank and once I drove away....it was only an 1/8. They're jipping us.

Cheaters!! mad

Nevermind that people are siffling the gas out of your tanks too. Grr.

allofyousuckkk
I don't want to be "that guy" who expects everyone else to get off their ass and do something while I continue to waste gas, but why hasn't anyone made the move to switch to alternative fuels? We deffinately have them...

dadudemon
Originally posted by allofyousuckkk
I don't want to be "that guy" who expects everyone else to get off their ass and do something while I continue to waste gas, but why hasn't anyone made the move to switch to alternative fuels? We deffinately have them...

Oh, I'd be glad to bay $2 a gallon for a hydrogen fuel cell car.

Where's my car? Where's my pump? The Icelanders can do it, why can't I? We certainly have more money over here...wtf's the problem?

I'll tell you wtf the problem is. It's 17 alternative fuel/green proposals by major share holders, all rejected in the annual share holders meeting by the Exxon Mobile execs. no expression

Grand_Moff_Gav
Ride a bike or take a hike.

(Thats copyrighted)

botankus
Originally posted by dadudemon
They have fully electric scooters that have a tangible range of 100 miles per charge. (they say 150....but usually real world is 100). These same people also say it increasess your monthly electic bill like 5-10 dollars.

Other than looking like a dorky tree hugger, it sounds like it would save you a butt load of money.

$20 a day?

DAAAAAAUUUHHM!

Just curious what the speeds are for this thing. I have to leave by 6:10 AM every day and go 80mph down I-40 to get to work by 7:00 AM. What time would I have to leave on an electric scooter?

dadudemon
Just curious what the speeds are for this thing. I have to leave by 6:10 AM every day and go 80mph down I-40 to get to work by 7:00 AM. What time would I have to leave on an electric scooter?

LOL!

You'll get 40 to 45 mph tops.

http://fun-ev.com/

http://www.evdl.org/archive/index.html#nabble-td15579274

Robtard
Nation City Price in USD Regular/Gallon (this was in 2005)

Netherlands Amsterdam $6.48
Norway Oslo $6.27
Italy Milan $5.96
Denmark Copenhagen $5.93
Belgium Brussels $5.91
Sweden Stockholm $5.80
United Kingdom London $5.79
Germany Frankfurt $5.57
France Paris $5.54
Portugal Lisbon $5.35
Hungary Budapest $4.94
Luxembourg $4.82
Croatia Zagreb $4.81
Ireland Dublin $4.78
Switzerland Geneva $4.74
Spain Madrid $4.55
Japan Tokyo $4.24
Czech Republic Prague $4.19
Romania Bucharest $4.09
Andorra $4.08
Estonia Tallinn $3.62
Bulgaria Sofia $3.52
Brazil Brasilia $3.12
Cuba Havana $3.03
Taiwan Taipei $2.84
Lebanon Beirut $2.63
South Africa Johannesburg $2.62
Nicaragua Managua $2.61
Panama Panama City $2.19
Russia Moscow $2.10
Puerto Rico San Juan $1.74
Saudi Arabia Riyadh $0.91
Kuwait Kuwait City $0.78
Egypt Cairo $0.65
Nigeria Lagos $0.38
Venezuela Caracas $0.12

This US was paying about $2.50 back then.

inimalist
Originally posted by Robtard
Norway Oslo $6.27

that is really surprising, I thought Norway was a major exporter...

Deja~vu

Norway Oslo $6.27
Italy Milan $5.96
Denmark Copenhagen $5.93
Belgium Brussels $5.91
Sweden Stockholm $5.80
Germany Frankfurt $5.57
France Paris $5.54
Portugal Lisbon $5.35
Hungary Budapest $4.94
Luxembourg $4.82
Croatia Zagreb $4.81
Ireland Dublin $4.78
Switzerland Geneva $4.74
Spain Madrid $4.55
Japan Tokyo $4.24
Romania Bucharest $4.09
Andorra $4.08
Estonia Tallinn $3.62
Bulgaria Sofia $3.52
Brazil Brasilia $3.12
Cuba Havana $3.03
Taiwan Taipei $2.84
Lebanon Beirut $2.63
Nicaragua Managua $2.61
Panama Panama City $2.19
Russia Moscow $2.10
Kuwait Kuwait City $0.78
Egypt Cairo $0.65
Nigeria Lagos $0.38
Venezuela Caracas $0.12

This US was paying about $2.50 back then. Hmmmm Venezuela. Damn, I can speak spanish. Do they speak that there? laughing out loud

Devil King

Norway Oslo $6.27
Italy Milan $5.96
Denmark Copenhagen $5.93
Belgium Brussels $5.91
Sweden Stockholm $5.80
Germany Frankfurt $5.57
France Paris $5.54
Portugal Lisbon $5.35
Hungary Budapest $4.94
Luxembourg $4.82
Croatia Zagreb $4.81
Ireland Dublin $4.78
Switzerland Geneva $4.74
Spain Madrid $4.55
Japan Tokyo $4.24
Romania Bucharest $4.09
Andorra $4.08
Estonia Tallinn $3.62
Bulgaria Sofia $3.52
Brazil Brasilia $3.12
Cuba Havana $3.03
Taiwan Taipei $2.84
Lebanon Beirut $2.63
Nicaragua Managua $2.61
Panama Panama City $2.19
Russia Moscow $2.10
Kuwait Kuwait City $0.78
Egypt Cairo $0.65
Nigeria Lagos $0.38
Venezuela Caracas $0.12

This US was paying about $2.50 back then.

Watch out for Russia, they're the other super-power on the world scene. As well as the emerging markets in the East. Despite Bush, this nation refuses to drill for oil in it's own territories. However, what is the upside in drilling for oil, when it's on it's way out? The geopolitical and US markets are pushing oil like it's the VHS of it's time in it's last 15 minutes. It's a dead technology that is only going to further the rich, fat bastards. There's no real point in pushing a technology unless it's got a market. And the US is the consumer market for that dead technology. Mass-transport was killed by the oil industry years ago and now we have to face that reality. People need oil to power their cars, and with no mass-transit infrastructure in place for the vast majority, the only option is to drive their gas-powered cars to work. And even if the whole green movement registered to most people, the average consumer isn't in a position to trade off their cars for the jetsons idea of afordable suitcase cars that don't pollute the environment. The US depends on oil and the idea that a transition to a technology that doesn't, without consequence to the average man, is almost insane. When I lived inside San Francisco one could rely on public transport, but now that I live this far outside the city, a man needs a car. And public transportation becomes a joke.

The answer is to sowly sack the oil industry and invest tax dollars in a reasonable alternative to the oil and coal based alternatives and to bring reliable mass-transit to the vast majority of the American population. Every dusty town, small city, burrough and metropolis in this country. Taxes can pay for it, just like they can pay for universal healthcare. It just depends on how those funds are allocated.

Blax_Hydralisk
How far outside the city do you live, where BART or ac transit or whatever the hell the non-SF version is called works?

Devil King
Originally posted by Blax_Hydralisk
How far outside the city do you live, where BART or ac transit or whatever the hell the non-SF version is called works?

That is not my point. My point is that so many people choose to ignore mass-transit because they are unwiling to interact with the masses. They drive their cars into the city and pay ridiculous amounts of money to park their cars in gated lots because their car means everything to them. I've seen those very same parking lots become police rallying points on the weekends because their business drops off that dramatically. So, during the week it's a parking lot, but on the weekends it is a place where the police bring drug dealers, whores and pimps to confess to their crimes. People are affraid too be in the presence of other human beings, and it costs them more than a dollar. It costs them the ability to interact with people. This is the option provided to them by the government, which is wholly owned and provided by the oil lobby.

All one has to do is look outside their window to understand the cars parked along the street represent a propogated alternative to public transport. Especially when you understand that most of those cars are owned by people who could have taken the BART into the city, rather than drive their own cars and pay for parking. And the BART should stay open past midnight, that's also key.

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by Devil King
The US depends on oil and the idea that a transition to a technology that doesn't, without consequence to the average man, is almost insane.

Exactly. That's why I support the idea of tapping our own reserves, until alternative fuels become as available and omnipresent as gas. A lot of the pro-green hippies think that because Brazil is using sugarcane oil right now, the US can do it overnight. That's not possible. First we have to harvest, and while all that's going on, all the motor companies are going to have to completely revamp engines and the specs of every vehicle model. And then mechanics like myself, who know fossil-fuel engines and all their problems like the back of our hands, are gonna have to educate ourselves on this new automotive technology. The US is gonna undergo a complete 180. In the mean time, the common working man like farmers in the Heartland who have to drive 50 miles to the nearest gas station and fill up their equipment on diesel are gonna keep suffering as long as these same assholes are controlling the gas prices.

Blax_Hydralisk
Originally posted by Devil King
That is not my point. My point is that so many people choose to ignore mass-transit because they are unwiling to interact with the masses. They drive their cars into the city and pay ridiculous amounts of money to park their cars in gated lots because their car means everything to them. I've seen those very same parking lots become police rallying points on the weekends because their business drops off that dramatically. So, during the week it's a parking lot, but on the weekends it is a place where the police bring drug dealers, whores and pimps to confess to their crimes. People are affraid too be in the presence of other human beings, and it costs them more than a dollar. It costs them the ability to interact with people. This is the option provided to them by the government, which is wholly owned and provided by the oil lobby.

It was more just a way for me to discreetly ask where you lived, then to.. ya know.. actually be on-topic.

no expression

That aside, I do agree.

I myself have a car and am working on a liscence, but for for some of the reasons you listed I plan on just using BART and the MUNI/Samtrans to get around.

50 cents to ride the bus, as well as getting a transfer that allows you to ride on the buses for free, is a much more preferable alternative to driving my Trans Am, which absolutely guzzles gas.

Only problem with Muni is that there are a lot of wierdos on the bus. My Mom wros for customer service and she gets many complains throughout the day about people being assaulted, robbed, etc.

Devil King
Peoplebeing robed, asaulted, abused and injured is total bullshit. Am I to suppose that I am protected from the masses that I suffer not one of the accusations presented by your argument?

I would love to know where a person can ride public transport for 50 cents. You can't even ride the MUNI on 50 cents.

Blax_Hydralisk
It's not my argument. no expression

And I just rode on the MUNI for 50 cents today.

EDIT- Oh shit. I just checked again. I've been riding the muni illegally for the past three months. It's 1.50 for adults. How the **** have I been getting off with paying a third ofthe price for the last three months? haermm

Devil King

EDIT- Oh shit. I just checked again. I've been riding the muni illegally for the past three months. It's 1.50 for adults. How the **** have I been getting off with paying a third ofthe price for the last three months? haermm

I honstly hope you continue to get away with it.

Toku King
Originally posted by allofyousuckkk

The government was stupid enough to kill off the electric car.

Blax_Hydralisk
Well... they don't even check. I get on, drop my 50 cents in the machine, and I get my transfer and move on.

I do it so often I don't even think about it.

Quiero Mota

In San Diego its only two dollars to ride the trolley. But if you get busted for freeloading, its a 200 dollar fine.

Blax_Hydralisk
Yeah I think it's similiar here. If you're on the tunnel and the BART police or whatever come on and check for transfers and you don't have one, you could get fined, though it usually doesn't happen, least not for teenagers. Warnings an threats just get handed out.

What I've been doing isn't free loading though... technically, there is no way I can actually get in trouble. It's the bus drivers fault for giving me a transfer. The worse trouble I can get in to is the bus driver telling me I'm short a dollar and refusing to give me the transfer... at which point I'll either pay up or just get off.

*shrug*

Rogue Jedi
I have a bus pass and it's starting to look better and better.

inimalist
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
I have a bus pass and it's starting to look better and better.

chithappens
Oil supply is not what determines oil prices.

Myth!

Robtard
Originally posted by chithappens
Oil supply is not what determines oil prices.

Myth!

Yes and no. I don't think oil is running out personally, so that excuse to me is BS. But if the US were to drill inland and offshore, all that extra oil (or the future promise of it) would flood the market and prices would drop, logically thinking.

It would be difficult for the oil comps to continue at $140 a barrel when the US is putting out more of it's own.

chithappens
Yes and no. I don't think oil is running out personally, so that excuse to me is BS. But if the US were to drill inland and offshore, all that extra oil (or the future promise of it) would flood the market and prices would drop, logically thinking.

It would be difficult for the oil comps to continue at $140 a barrel when the US is putting out more of it's own.

I spent a lot of time two weeks ago looking into it and actually wrote a nice size article on it (I don't have a degree so I'm not credible but the "Experts" have not even come to a conclusion on how pricing works hence no one sure how high gas will get).

Long story short, even if gas can be given at $40 a barrel in the U.S. for example, the price that drives the market is the highest price available. It's really bullshit. Oh and oil is not running out anytime soon. A page back explains why the shortage of supply seems to be the main reason named by everyone. It's just ugly business.

Edit: Sorry, it's not a page back: it's another topic entirely. Not too far down wink

Bicnarok

dadudemon

Deja~vu
I believe that motorcycle sales will be going up...but the winter, the winter... sad

GCG
Invest in motorcycles ?

dadudemon
Originally posted by GCG
Invest in motorcycles ?

i don't Plan on invEsting iN motorcycles. though the Investment could net me savingS.

superr

Rogue Jedi
I paid 3.83 USD a gallon today, down a bit from the last time I filled up.

AngryManatee
Found this cool little site about a company called revetec.

http://www.revetec.com/

Currently has an engine design that replaces the traditional crankshaft with trilobe cams

http://www.revetec.com/images/rev_ani.gif

Currently achieves near-diesel engine levels of thermal efficiency, and they haven't even implemented such technologies as variable valve timing, direct injection, or pulse plugs into the design. All while putting out about half the emissions of a conventional engine while also reducing the size of the engine as well. I hope this becomes mainstream.

dadudemon
Originally posted by AngryManatee
Found this cool little site about a company called revetec.

http://www.revetec.com/

Currently has an engine design that replaces the traditional crankshaft with trilobe cams

http://www.revetec.com/images/rev_ani.gif

Currently achieves near-diesel engine levels of thermal efficiency, and they haven't even implemented such technologies as variable valve timing, direct injection, or pulse plugs into the design. All while putting out about half the emissions of a conventional engine while also reducing the size of the engine as well. I hope this becomes mainstream.

COOOL!

The smaller size alone could contribute to better mileage. (less weight, berches)

melodia
Hmm, could help smooth the transition.

ricktrang
the oil companys r just one big racket and they have us by our balls, nothing we can do unless we ride our bikes

Deja~vu
They're going down now....down, down, down............. cool

WrathfulDwarf

botankus
I'm planning on trading my Ford Focus in for a school bus.

dadudemon
I'm planning on trading my Ford Focus in for a school bus.

Get a hummer instead. I think you'll hit a very nice 2 mpg at some points.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.