Fight for your Right to Game!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ariwin
Any gamers out there ought to be following this...

http://news.awn.com/index.php?ltype=top&newsitem_no=23697

I think this is really, really important. It seems like a minor inconvenience now, particularly if you're not in New York, but as people try more and more to pin today's violence on video games, this sort of thing is going to just get worse and worse, and start affecting us all.

So go visit http://www.videogamevoters.org/ and sign up, even if you decide not to sign up for the newsletter or write to any legislators. Just signing up is like putting your name on a petition -- I can vouch for the fact that they won't send you any emails unless you check that option. So do it, so we can show these guys how many of us there are. big grin

Obsidian Fury
Label every game and console 18+. It will only do the youth good to not play videogames stick out tongue

ESB -1138
Oh yeah because problems with today's children all circles around video games. Yeah that's it. It's not a parenting problem; Nooooooooo it's a video game problem.

Obsidian Fury
It is a parent problem by default when it is a problem for a child. However, the problem lays in the child and not the parent originally. If the affinity of a child to a game is unhealthy, it is the problem of a child that a parent should deal with. Not all children are sensitive, even with uncaring parents.

The problem is the child. It is however the obligation as a parent to deal with the problem. Preliminary actions, preferably of course. I speak primarly of the problems occuring trough video-games of course, although the same opinion stands in all other cases of course.

Whenever a child has problems, it is the problem of a parent and has to be dealt with immediately.

Edit- Wait . . . Did that make any sense? What the f**k?

ESB -1138
...what?

Obsidian Fury
That was my reaction too when I read trough what I wrote. Even after reading it trough several times.

Menetnashté
Originally posted by Obsidian Fury
It is a parent problem by default when it is a problem for a child. However, the problem lays in the child and not the parent originally. If the affinity of a child to a game is unhealthy, it is the problem of a child that a parent should deal with. Not all children are sensitive, even with uncaring parents.

The problem is the child. It is however the obligation as a parent to deal with the problem. Preliminary actions, preferably of course. I speak primarly of the problems occuring trough video-games of course, although the same opinion stands in all other cases of course.

Whenever a child has problems, it is the problem of a parent and has to be dealt with immediately.

Edit- Wait . . . Did that make any sense? What the f**k?
No...No it didn't.

But on the note of the threads actual purpose, this is stupid. We've heard crap like this for years Columbine was because of Doom the Va tech was because of video games. I mean hell, they need to take into consideration that some people are just ****ed up. Are the going to start telling me Al Queda are that way because of video games? I mean come the **** on. Political correctness has gone way to far, we're to damn politically correct on stuff that doesn't matter and we aren't politically correct on what does matter. Wasting money on studying video games? We've got bigger fish to fry, howabout gas? And isn't there a war or something going on? I forgot because the news is so full of pointless shit.

jaden101
Originally posted by ESB -1138
Oh yeah because problems with today's children all circles around video games. Yeah that's it. It's not a parenting problem; Nooooooooo it's a video game problem.

you'd think with your reply that you actually understand sarcasm...apparently not though

Menetnashté
Originally posted by jaden101
you'd think with your reply that you actually understand sarcasm...apparently not though
What the f**k? He was commenting towards the thread itself...so that one kinda came up and bit ya in the ass.

Peach
No study is going to actually find a link between games and violence. Not one that's actually credible; most done have other intervening factors that are conveniently not mentioned when presented to the public (like giving GTA to a 5 year old, or someone that's already shown a predisposition towards violence). No mentally stable person is going to play a game and then go "Hmmm, maybe I'll shoot someone for fun".

(it's actually a topic I'm vastly interested in, being a gamer studying to be a psychologist, and is something I plan to do research into myself at some point)

Good luck in mandating parental controls on all systems when the current gen ones are, other than the PS2, the only ones being made anymore, and those have them already. Hell, the PS2 does as well.

And...um...all games DO have the ratings on the case. I point them out to people dozens of times a day. Retailers won't stock or carry games that don't have ratings. Most won't even stock ones with A/O ratings.

All in all, this is just silly, and isn't even going to accomplish anything at all.

ragesRemorse
five more years and video games are banned, along with red meat and free thought.

General Kaliero
Does anyone else find it amusing that the proposed bill mandates that all consoles have parental controls, when all current consoles do have parental controls, and that all games have rating labels on the box, when all games do have rating labels on the box?

Peach
Originally posted by General Kaliero
Does anyone else find it amusing that the proposed bill mandates that all consoles have parental controls, when all current consoles do have parental controls, and that all games have rating labels on the box, when all games do have rating labels on the box?

http://www.dev-elements.net/images/mario-brothers-cunning-plan.jpg

chithappens
I wouldn't worry too much.

They convinced people about Iraq but even videogames is an incredibly far reach... Iraq... shit, we might not see a new game in five years

MadMel
what, with virtual virtual reality on the verge of being invented? (furturama reference anyone?)
not a chance no

Obsidian Fury
Originally posted by Peach
http://www.dev-elements.net/images/mario-brothers-cunning-plan.jpg

Thats a keeper stick out tongue

Kazenji

Good luck in mandating parental controls on all systems when the current gen ones are, other than the PS2, the only ones being made anymore, and those have them already. Hell, the PS2 does as well.

What do you mean by parental controls ??

like the actual console has an option on it so you can set it up so kids can't play certain ???

please explain erm

MadMel
lemme give an example...
if a console can recognise what rating the game has (PG, M, R etc), parents can set that console so that little kids can only play games with a rating of PG or lower..
or if the kids arent over 18, they can set it to MA15+, though if a kid were 15 years old they's be smart enough to get their way around such controls erm

btw i hope you werent being sarcastic, cuz i would look like a total moron if you were stick out tongue

Kazenji
No no i was'nt being sarcastic

going by the description of what you said the PSP has something along those lines.

ariwin
Yeah, the parental controls thing would work like that -- it would have a rating in the game itself that the consoles recognized, and required a parents' password.

I really, really believe that what a child is exposed to should be the parents' responsibility. It's not only their responsibility to educate their child, it's ALSO their responsibility to educated themselves about the things their children are interested in. I think a parent should interfere as little as possible, but it's up to the parent. NOT the government! It isn't a legislator's job (or right) to tell parents and children what they can and cannot see. Ratings should be suggestions -- NOT LAWS.

But anyway -- definitely go sign up for this. It's for a good cause, and costs nothing, and you can choose to sign up for the newsletter if you want emails from them, or otherwise just put your name down and help give more power to this group.

GGS
The PS2 had child lock etc. etc.

Again this bill is pointless and nothing new if a parent can't be bothered to spend a minute google researching a game or ask someone in the shop who works there if it's suitable for their little Johnny then it's their own fault & negligance.

Failures of society and parenting being brushed under the carpet and excused by a convient scapegoat ftw.......

Maybe once we've banned everything and the problems still exist will the slowminded actually realise.

Blax_Hydralisk
My ma bought Ninjga Gaiden for my yesterday, and while were there the game stop guy was like "Ma'am, just so you know this game is rated mature for blood and gore, intense violence, partial nudity and suggest-" And she was like "Whatever whatever I'm in a rush. Just put it in the bag." haermm

S_D_J
No study is going to actually find a link between games and violence. Not one that's actually credible; most done have other intervening factors that are conveniently not mentioned when presented to the public (like giving GTA to a 5 year old, or someone that's already shown a predisposition towards violence). No mentally stable person is going to play a game and then go "Hmmm, maybe I'll shoot someone for fun".

(it's actually a topic I'm vastly interested in, being a gamer studying to be a psychologist, and is something I plan to do research into myself at some point)

And...um...all games DO have the ratings on the case. I point them out to people dozens of times a day. Retailers won't stock or carry games that don't have ratings. Most won't even stock ones with A/O ratings.

All in all, this is just silly, and isn't even going to accomplish anything at all.

It is going to accomplish something: Waste your hard-earned tax money erm

Kirikaze Fuuma
about that, both parents and their children have their responsibilities.

parents need to take care of their children. if their children would walk in the wrong way, it's their job to instruct their children. children too must know which one is right and which one is wrong. true that their parents need to teach them about those things. but if they know it and still acting naughty, it's their fault. their parents had already teach them.

actually I hate violence games such as GTA, bully. I hope I'll never see them again.

JKozzy
Originally posted by Kirikaze Fuuma

actually I hate violence games such as GTA, bully. I hope I'll never see them again. Good luck in your endeavor.

Peach
Originally posted by S_D_J
It is going to accomplish something: Waste your hard-earned tax money erm

Well, as I live in Illinois, not New York...no it won't stick out tongue

Originally posted by Kirikaze Fuuma
actually I hate violence games such as GTA, bully. I hope I'll never see them again.

So don't buy them. Problem solved.

BackFire
What a waste of time.

chithappens
Originally posted by Blax_Hydralisk
My ma bought Ninjga Gaiden for my yesterday, and while were there the game stop guy was like "Ma'am, just so you know this game is rated mature for blood and gore, intense violence, partial nudity and suggest-" And she was like "Whatever whatever I'm in a rush. Just put it in the bag." haermm

Ha cute laughing

Kirikaze Fuuma
alright smile

ariwin
Well, as I live in Illinois, not New York...no it won't stick out tongue

Well, the thing in New York is just the start, you know? I don't live in New York either, but it certainly makes me nervous... and it's not just video games either. I like video games, but I never play any of the ones violent enough to be affected/influenced by this. What scares me is that if they get away with the studies and the laws to regulate video games, what's to stop them from applying that to movies? TV? Books?

That's what really scares me... and why I signed up and everything.

Neo Darkhalen
Originally posted by ESB -1138

pretty much what is said here really.

Blax_Hydralisk
Originally posted by ariwin
Well, the thing in New York is just the start, you know? I don't live in New York either, but it certainly makes me nervous... and it's not just video games either. I like video games, but I never play any of the ones violent enough to be affected/influenced by this. What scares me is that if they get away with the studies and the laws to regulate video games, what's to stop them from applying that to movies? TV? Books?

That's what really scares me... and why I signed up and everything.

They've been blaming violent TV shows and books for ages.

Society tries it's best to point the finger at everyone and everything BUT Parents.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.