What is with the Democratic tactic of attackng McCains military service?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

KidRock
First Wesley Clark now Jim Webb is doing it.

Anybody know the reason why or it it just typical political smearing?

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by KidRock

Because they will do anything to get elected.

Schecter
nobody is attacking his military record.

idiots

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Schecter

idiots

Sure they are... They are not doing the attack directly, but the people on the fringes are attacking. Both sides are doing it. Same old politics.

KidRock

idiots

http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/20080629/pl_politico/11425

?I don?t think getting in a fighter plane and getting shot down is a qualification to become president.?

McCain has never once said this, yet they decide to bring it up and act like he has..they are attacking it, jackass.

Schecter
no, nobody is attacking his military record. they called kerry a coward and deserter and try to strip away all he accomplished in the war, and that he never deserved any medals, and its ok.

now 2 people simply suggest that being a p.o.w. does not by default make someone a good president and its a lowdown shameless attack on mccain's service. now its "waaaaa im offended. how dare they. waaaa"

IOKIYAR
hypocritical internet flunkies

Bardock42

?I don?t think getting in a fighter plane and getting shot down is a qualification to become president.?

McCain has never once said this, yet they decide to bring it up and act like he has..they are attacking it, jackass. Well, they aren't really attacking his military record. They are attacking military records in general. So, it's kinda different.

Shakyamunison
no, nobody is attacking his military record. they called kerry a coward and deserter and try to strip away all he accomplished in the war, and that he never deserved any medals, and its ok.

now 2 people simply suggest that being a p.o.w. does not by default make someone a good president and its a lowdown shameless attack on mccain's service.

IOKIYAR
hypocritical internet flunkies

But Karry throw his medals away.

Schecter
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
But Karry throw his medals away.

how relevant. so i guess that means he never served his country and earned them. quit wasting my time. that's KidFail's job.

KidRock
Originally posted by Bardock42
Well, they aren't really attacking his military record. They are attacking military records in general. So, it's kinda different.

Well they are, since McCain was in a fighter plane, and he was shot down.

Shakyamunison
how relevant. so i guess that means he never served his country and earned them. quit wasting my time. that's KidFail's job.

That does mean that he protested his service and therefore was open to the criticism. You are the one who failed by trying to compare what happened to Karry with what is happening to McCain. McCain never protested his country.

Schecter
the swiftboat ads attacked kerry's service in the war, said he was a deserter and a coward and that he never really earned his medals. you are just grasping for straws and making irrelevant conclusions to suit your own ends.
example: someone's actions after serving in a war magically erases the history of their actions while they served.

you're just im 'win' mode so give your nonsensical illogical response and lets be done with it. you people annoy me. i feel like ive been infected with fail by arguing with you

Bardock42
Well they are, since McCain was in a fighter plane, and he was shot down.

Yeah, but they didn't attack that. They just said having a war record doesn't qualify someone for being a good president.

chithappens
You do know McCain won't allow them to access his records concerning his "POW" experience, right?

Shakyamunison
the swiftboat ads attacked kerry's service in the war, said he was a deserter and a coward and that he never really earned his medals. you are just grasping for straws and making irrelevant conclusions to suit your own ends.
example: someone's actions after serving in a war magically erases the history of their actions while they served.

you're just im 'win' mode so give your nonsensical illogical response and lets be done with it. you people annoy me. i feel like ive been infected with fail by arguing with you

Thank you for telling us why people are attacking McCain. Revenge.

Schecter
like clockwork. yes thats it. i also eat babies. its all clearly deductable.

what a dick

BackFire

McCain has never once said this, yet they decide to bring it up and act like he has..they are attacking it, jackass.

You are misrepresenting what was said.

In a debate, Clark's opponent said "Obama has never been in a fighter jet and he wasn't shot down" To which Clark responded "I don't think getting in a fighter plane and getting shot down is a qualification to become president".

I.E. He didn't bring it up, someone else did.

Also, it's ridiculous to say that he's being attacked. That is not an attack by any measure. Simply questioning whether or not military service in and of itself automatically qualifies someone to be president is not an attack, an attack would be to attempt to pain McCain's service to the country as some sort of traitorous endeavor like Republicans did with Kerry.

Robtard
Thank you for telling us why people are attacking McCain. Revenge.

Making a blanket statement of "military service and being a proper president do not go hand and hand" is not a personal attack on McCain, or just McCain. If Obama had a military record, it would encompass him too. If Kerry were running again, it would encompass him too. The statement may even be true, as not every president of the US has had a military service and I'm fairly certain there were a few good ones that didn't serve.

Now the swift-boat adds on Kerry were a personal attack, as they specifically signaled out Kerry and said his purple hearts were bogus, he was a traitor, he was a coward etc. etc. etc. See the difference?

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Robtard
Making a blanket statement of "military service and being a proper president do not go hand and hand" is not a personal attack on McCain, or just McCain. If Obama had a military record, it would encompass him too. If Kerry were running again, it would encompass him too.

Now the swift-boat adds on Kerry were a personal attack, as they specifically signaled out Kerry and said his purple hearts were bogus, he was a traitor, he was a coward etc. etc. etc.

Sure they are... They are not doing the attack directly, but the people on the fringes are attacking. Both sides are doing it. Same old politics.

Schecter
welcome to the "quote yourself saying something untrue, irrelevant, and completely asinine" thread

lord xyz
That does mean that he protested his service and therefore was open to the criticism. You are the one who failed by trying to compare what happened to Karry with what is happening to McCain. McCain never protested his country. Wasn't your country like found and protest?

Making a blanket statement of "military service and being a proper president do not go hand and hand" is not a personal attack on McCain, or just McCain. If Obama had a military record, it would encompass him too. If Kerry were running again, it would encompass him too. The statement may even be true, as not every president of the US has had a military service and I'm fairly certain there were a few good ones that didn't serve.

Now the swift-boat adds on Kerry were a personal attack, as they specifically signaled out Kerry and said his purple hearts were bogus, he was a traitor, he was a coward etc. etc. etc. See the difference? The best ad was the one where a US soldiers, acting poorly, and way younger than Kerry, said how Kerry was a bad man during service and one even said "he shot me".

Schecter
shhhhh you're not supposed to point out the blatant hypocrisy or you'll be accused of seeking revenge.

Robtard

While your statement is true in the broad general sense of the political game, in this particular case, it wasn't an attack or a cheap shot.

Just the reality of McCain/Any Nominee + Military Service doesn't not equal "a good president" by default.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by lord xyz
Wasn't your country like found and protest?...

I have no problem with protesting. I just have a problem with people who protest and then wine about having to pay the price for protesting.

Anyone who believes that the Democrats are not doing every underhanded thing in the world to get elected, I have a bridge to sell you.

Schecter
yes remember, the price of protesting a war after your service has concluded is to have your record slandered and be called a coward/fraud.

so that shrapnel he took...never happened. *poof*

Shakyamunison
While your statement is true in the broad general sense of the political game, in this particular case, it wasn't an attack or a cheap shot.

Just the reality of McCain/Any Nominee + Military Service doesn't not equal "a good president" by default.

Sorry if I don't trust people like Gen. Wesley Clark.

Shakyamunison
yes remember, the price of protesting a war after your service has concluded is to have your record slandered and be called a coward/fraud.

so that shrapnel he took...never happened. *poof*

Anyone who would throw away his medals in a public way, should leave the country. Throwing your medals away is a cowardly act.

Bardock42
Anyone who would throw away his medals in a public way, should leave the country. Throwing your medals away is a cowardly act.
How? Isn't it actually the opposite? A ballsy act? Yes it is.

BackFire

What crap.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by BackFire
What crap.

Do you have a medal? However, this is off topic. So, maybe we should move it to PM's.

Bardock42
Do you have a medal? However, this is off topic. So, maybe we should move it to PM's.

It does seem pretty on topic. Do you feel bad about (once more) being caught bullshitting around?

Robtard

He was awarded medals for a war he didn't agree with.

1) He has (or should) the right to protest without fear of being told to leave his country.

2) How is it cowardly, when it takes more balls to stand-up for something you know isn't popular than to just keep quite and go with the flow?

BackFire

No I don't have a medal.

What does that have to do with anything? Doesn't change you spewing out nonsense without backing it up in any logical way.

I expect you to say next "if you don't like this country then you can giiitttt out!"

You can not like that he threw away his medals, he still earned them. Saying he's a coward for doing something that you don't like, despite it taking great courage to do such an act as protest, and that that somehow excuses lies and slander made against him by opponents later in his life, is such sheer idiocy that it gives me a headache.

Robtard
Sorry if I don't trust people like Gen. Wesley Clark.

What does that have to do with the fact that a military record is in no way a guarantee of a "good president"?

Shakyamunison
He was awarded medals for a war he didn't agree with.

1) He has (or should) the right to protest without fear of being told to leave his country.

2) How is it cowardly, when it takes more balls to stand-up for something you know isn't popular than to just keep quite and go with the flow?

Because he never lost the medals. All he has to do is request a new set of medals. If you return them in protest, then you loose them forever. Do you see how that is cowardly?

BackFire
Has he done that?

Shakyamunison
Has he done that?

Yes he did. I asked you if you had a medal because most people don't know that a medal is a document and not a piece of medal. If I lost the one medal I have in a fire, I can get it back by request it.

BackFire
Oh.

Yes clearly he's a coward. My mistake. Traitor too. Possible murderer as well.

Who cares? They're his medals, he did courageous shit to earn them, to call him a coward because of what he did with HIS property, completely ignoring the heroism that he had to earn them is again, retarded to the point of being laughable.

Still don't see how that makes him a coward. He openly threw away his medals because he didn't agree with the war. That took guts and it's a much more powerful visual than him simply 'returning them'.

Schecter
...is such sheer idiocy that it gives me a headache.

seriously. i mean...i actually had a faint migraine just reading through this horseshit.

Bardock42
Because he never lost the medals. All he has to do is request a new set of medals. If you return them in protest, then you loose them forever. Do you see how that is cowardly? So, what did Kerry do and why is it more cowardly than what else he could have done?

Shakyamunison
Oh.

Yes clearly he's a coward. My mistake. Traitor too. Possible murderer as well.

Who cares? They're his medals, he did courageous shit to earn them, to call him a coward because of what he did with HIS property, completely ignoring the heroism that he had to earn them is again, retarded to the point of being laughable.

Still don't see how that makes him a coward. He openly threw away his medals because he didn't agree with the war. That took guts and it's a much more powerful visual than him simply 'returning them'.

He didn't throw away his medals. He did a political show. He hedged his bet. If he had tuned in his medals, then that would have shown some courage. As it is now, he can always get them back, because he still has them.

BackFire

So then this doesn't apply to Kerry, as now you say he didn't throw away his medals.

Cool.

Shakyamunison
So then this doesn't apply to Kerry, as now you say he didn't throw away his medals.

Cool.

So you have no problem with someone doing a very offensive act out of protest, but really not doing it. That was the part that got me. The fact that he fooled everyone, including the people who agreed with him. I guess we just don't agree.

Bardock42
So you have no problem with someone doing a very offensive act out of protest, but really not doing it. That was the part that got me. The fact that he fooled everyone, including the people who agreed with him. I guess we just don't agree. It was really just a sign. Do you know whether he also privately sent them back?

lord xyz
shhhhh you're not supposed to point out the blatant hypocrisy or you'll be accused of seeking revenge. Man they're pathetic. Infact, the main reason I like the Democrats is because Republicans are so damn aweful.

so that shrapnel he took...never happened. *poof* Kerry was right anyway. Who the **** ridicules someone for being right?

BackFire
So you have no problem with someone doing a very offensive act out of protest, but really not doing it. That was the part that got me. The fact that he fooled everyone, including the people who agreed with him. I guess we just don't agree.

He was doing it because he didn't agree with the war. Why is it offensive? What do you care what he does with HIS medals?

I don't give a shit about what he did with his medals. It's petty.

I don't get you. You're offended by something he did, but then you say he didn't really do it. So you're offended by something that he didn't actually do. Makes no sense.

Shakyamunison
He was doing it because he didn't agree with the war. Why is it offensive? What do you care what he does with HIS medals?

I don't give a shit about what he did with his medals. It's petty.

I don't get you. You're offended by something he did, but then you say he didn't really do it. So you're offended by something that he didn't actually do. Makes no sense.

You are taking what I said out of context. Standing alone, I don't care ether. But the people who are attacking McCain, maybe doing it because of the attacks on Karry. I think there was some legitimacy to the attacks on Karry, but not on McCain. This legitimacy is what I was talking about.

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by lord xyz
Infact, the main reason I like the Democrats is because Republicans are so damn aweful.

This is what gives me headaches.

Que sera? sera?

Quiero Mota

I have service medals from when I was in Bosnia. If I want to throw them in a river to make a personal statement against the govt, how would that make me a coward?

You don't know what the hell you're talking about, civilian.

Schecter
You are taking what I said out of context. Standing alone, I don't care ether. But the people who are attacking McCain, maybe doing it because of the attacks on Karry. I think there was some legitimacy to the attacks on Karry, but not on McCain. This legitimacy is what I was talking about.

there was no legitimacy to labeling him a coward during wartime. opinions based on his conduct after his tour was up is another issue, but to slander his service record is blatantly wrong and i find you a despicable person for trying to condone just that. you are clearly a hypocrite.

BackFire

There are no attacks on McCain's record, or his military service.

Simply saying "Military service alone doesn't mean someone is inherently qualified to be president on that basis alone" is not an attack. Saying it is is not understanding the meaning of the word.

The legitimacy of the attacks on Kerry are fine, if the attacks were just "he threw away his medals, and we don't like that". Saying that he's a traitor and a coward because of that is foolish and not a valid attack because it's based on slander and falsehood.

I took nothing of yours out of context. Say what you mean and mean what you say.

chithappens
But the people who are attacking McCain, maybe doing it because of the attacks on Karry.

Not to jump on the bandwagon, but you sure don't sound confident on this topic. You can't just match A to H because it feels right. This happens with anyone in the military. They questioned Bush.

Shrug, who cares? It's going to be seen as one way by each side. That's it. If you are not a hardball nut for one side, you will likely have a chance to catch utter BS.

Robtard

Yet no one attacked McCain.

Very simple, do you think serving in the military means someone would be a 'good president'. Yes or No?

Schecter
There are no attacks on McCain's record, or his military service.

why is it that a lie repeated a few times becomes the truth, but the truth repeated ad nauseam remains ignored?

Shakyamunison

KharmaDog

Are you taking a quote out of context and using it to try and manipulate what was actually said in order to prove a point?

Also, didn't the Bush camp use smear tactics agains Kerry? Were you o.k. with that?

Also, Bush's Camp tore McCain a new one, though I am not a fan of the Blogger, this guy does sum it up pretty good:

copied from :
http://www.bartcopnation.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=522

I used to like McCain, but since he threw in with Bush I lost repect for him.

Now Kidrock, how hypocritical is of you to criticise the Dems for a fictionalized attack on your Candidate and ignore the bullsh*t that Bush and his minions have shovelled onto his party members as well as Obama?

KidRock
hahaha, moar.

KharmaDog
hahaha, moar.

The, both eloquent and insightful, response that I expected.

Way to not disappoint. thumb up

BackFire

Shakyamunison

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.