Celebs and politics

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

sithsaber408
While it's well known that many celebrities are vocal about their politics, I wonder if it makes any difference? (see 2004's "vote or die" from P. Diddy, "Mosh" from Eminem, plenty of talk from Tim Robbins/Susan Surandon/Ben Affleck/George Clooney, etc...)

I'm not against it, I think it's cool for celebs to voice their opinion.

I do feel that there is a bias towards liberal candidates (usually, but not always) and that the celebs have this impression that they will use their star-power to speak out and affect the vote. But I suppose that's just the nature of hollywood.

I was surprised to learn that some celebrities are conservatives/Repbulicans and at this link they run through 30 celebs who are on both sides of the isle. Kinda interesting:

http://tv.msn.com/tv/galleryfeature/celebs-on-the-campaign-trail/?photoidx=1

They left out The Rock and Bruce Willis for the conservatives though!

BackFire
I don't think anyone cares. I get annoyed when celebs talk about politics as if their opinion matters.

KidRock
http://entimg.msn.com/i/gal/CelebsonCampaignTrail/ObamaRallSW003429_502.jpg

hahaha

Bardock42
Originally posted by sithsaber408

I was surprised to learn that some celebrities are conservatives/Repbulicans

Me too.

No wait, you elected an actor as Republican and a Body Builder that acts as Republican governor. I did know of this anomaly.

sithsaber408
An interesting article from last year (nov 07) about how many celebs are afraid to speak up about conservative values and will deny being a republican for career sake (mandy moore, terri hatcher) or call themselves independent/Libretarian but still vote repbulican (bruce willis, kurt russell, tom selleck, drew carrey) because that's more acceptable: http://www.newsmax.com/hirsen/hollywood_conservatives/2007/11/19/50627.html

Bardock42
An interesting article from last year (nov 07) about how many celebs are afraid to speak up about conservative values and will deny being a republican for career sake (mandy moore, terri hatcher) or call themselves independent/Libretarian but still vote repbulican (bruce willis, kurt russell, tom selleck, drew carrey) because that's more acceptable: http://www.newsmax.com/hirsen/hollywood_conservatives/2007/11/19/50627.html Because it's more acceptable or because the Libertarians sadly have only little chance as of yet and there is still a small libertarian wing in the Republican party?

Also, funny how all the blacks on that list support Obama.

lord xyz
Originally posted by Bardock42
Me too.

No wait, you elected an actor as Republican and a Body Builder that acts as Republican governor. I did know of this anomaly. Kelsey Grammar is apperently Republican too.

sithsaber408

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Bardock42
Because it's more acceptable or because the Libertarians sadly have only little chance as of yet and there is still a small libertarian wing in the Republican party?

Little? ha

RocasAtoll
An interesting article from last year (nov 07) about how many celebs are afraid to speak up about conservative values and will deny being a republican for career sake (mandy moore, terri hatcher) or call themselves independent/Libretarian but still vote repbulican (bruce willis, kurt russell, tom selleck, drew carrey) because that's more acceptable: http://www.newsmax.com/hirsen/hollywood_conservatives/2007/11/19/50627.html

Who the f**k cares? Certain career paths are biased. The military is the other way around. Be happy.

Robtard

I do feel that there is a bias towards liberal candidates (usually, but not always) and that the celebs have this impression that they will use their star-power to speak out and affect the vote. But I suppose that's just the nature of hollywood.

Would this be the same bias that the religious figureheads like Dobson who use their sway by telling their congregation who God would want them to vote for?

Anyhow, I rarely listen to a celeb's point of view on politics, I don't think they intrinsically have a better opinion than a gardener, nurse or what have you. Brad Pitt said it best when he said "at the end of the day, I'm just a guy who puts on makeup to go to work. If you want a meaningful answer, ask the experts."

JacopeX
Originally posted by BackFire
I don't think anyone cares. I get annoyed when celebs talk about politics as if their opinion matters. 5zTNnSh2xSQ

Nuff said.

WrathfulDwarf
Celebs only care about politics when they get media attention.

Same with causes and charity. Got look good for the camera.

sithsaber408
Originally posted by RocasAtoll
Who the f**k cares? Certain career paths are biased. The military is the other way around. Be happy.

I care because some of them (the Rock, Bruce Willis, Kurt Russell) are actors that I like.

It's a shame that in a town where people can get on The View and scream about impeachment and that cheney is a terrorist and get applause, a star has to put out this big statement: "I'm NOT a republican" for fear of being black-listed.

In a place that's supposedly about promoting freedom of expression, no less. roll eyes (sarcastic)

chillmeistergen
There's a lot of presumption in this thread, specifically that celebrities only care about politics for media attention; how exactly do you know that? All you're doing is assuming someone has no political opinion because they have more money and fame than you, fairly pathetic really.

I don't care what they voice, if I think what they're saying is in anyway wrong, then I will challenge it - just like I would any other public figure.

sithsaber408
Originally posted by chillmeistergen
There's a lot of presumption in this thread, specifically that celebrities only care about politics for media attention; how exactly do you know that? All you're doing is assuming someone has no political opinion because they have more money and fame than you, fairly pathetic really.

If you're addressing me, that was assumed nowhere. You assumed it's what I assume, so you fail.

My question was: Do they make a difference?

Followed by the point: Most celebs are liberal

And the last point; Conservative celebs are more quiet/afraid to talk about, their political views.

I never said that any celeb (liberal or conservative) "has no political opinion because they have more money and fame."

So take that nonsense elsewhere and comment on topic, thank you.

chillmeistergen
If you're addressing me, that was assumed nowhere. You assumed it's what I assume, so you fail.

My question was: Do they make a difference?

Followed by the point: Most celebs are liberal

And the last point; Conservative celebs are more quiet/afraid to talk about, their political views.

I never said that any celeb (liberal or conservative) "has no political opinion because they have more money and fame."

So take that nonsense elsewhere and comment on topic, thank you.

No, I wasn't addressing you. So be quiet.

sithsaber408
No, I wasn't addressing you. So be quiet.

Trying to shut me up like all the other conservative celebs, eh?

Sorry for the misread there, it came after my post so I thought it was directed at me.

Carry on then.

chillmeistergen
What do you mean "carry on"? You needlessly quoted me, assuming it was directed at you. I've given as much explanation as I need to, I'm not going to give more because of your poor reading comprehension.

sithsaber408
What do you mean "carry on"? You needlessly quoted me, assuming it was directed at you. I've given as much explanation as I need to, I'm not going to give more because of your poor reading comprehension.

I mean for the convo to carry on with anybody who's posting.

See how easy it is to assume something is directed at you if it's under your post?

Robtard
I mean for the convo to carry on with anybody who's posting.

See how easy it is to assume something is directed at you if it's under your post?

To be fair, you directly quoted Chilly in your respnse, he did not.

Do "carry on" though.

Strangelove
And the last point; Conservative celebs are more quiet/afraid to talk about, their political views. That's pretty ridiculous. I'm not suggesting that it isn't true, it's just that you have to be kind of a pussy to be afraid to express your opinions for fear of retribution. I very much doubt that there's any movement to blackball conservative celebrities. It's just cowardice that keeps them quiet.

Zeal Ex Nihilo
While it's well known that many celebrities are vocal about their politics, I wonder if it makes any difference? (see 2004's "vote or die" from P. Diddy, "Mosh" from Eminem, plenty of talk from Tim Robbins/Susan Surandon/Ben Affleck/George Clooney, etc...)

I'm not against it, I think it's cool for celebs to voice their opinion.

I was surprised to learn that some celebrities are conservatives/Repbulicans and at this link they run through 30 celebs who are on both sides of the isle. Kinda interesting:

http://tv.msn.com/tv/galleryfeature/celebs-on-the-campaign-trail/?photoidx=1

They left out The Rock and Bruce Willis for the conservatives though!
Celine Dion is an idiot.

Zeal Ex Nihilo
Originally posted by Strangelove
That's pretty ridiculous. I'm not suggesting that it isn't true, it's just that you have to be kind of a pussy to be afraid to express your opinions for fear of retribution. I very much doubt that there's any movement to blackball conservative celebrities. It's just cowardice that keeps them quiet.
Celebrities live or die on popular opinion. Popular opinion is that of John Q. Moron. John Q. Moron doesn't have an intelligent opinion. John Q. Moron Conservative is a Bible-thumper who doesn't care about the trappings of this world long as he has his Jesus, doesn't have no queers, and blows up them freedom-hatin' ragheads. John Q. Moron Liberal, on the other hand, is a mediawhore who laps up Lindsay Lohan's vaginal discharges, makes sure he has minority friends (one black, one gay, one Asian, etc.), rants about those INTOLERANT CONSERVATIVES, and otherwise pollutes the air with his whining.

Which one do you thing celebrities cater to?

Robtard
Originally posted by Zeal Ex Nihilo
Celebrities live or die on popular opinion. Popular opinion is that of John Q. Moron. John Q. Moron doesn't have an intelligent opinion. John Q. Moron Conservative is a Bible-thumper who doesn't care about the trappings of this world long as he has his Jesus, doesn't have no queers, and blows up them freedom-hatin' ragheads. John Q. Moron Liberal, on the other hand, is a mediawhore who laps up Lindsay Lohan's vaginal discharges, makes sure he has minority friends (one black, one gay, one Asian, etc.), rants about those INTOLERANT CONSERVATIVES, and otherwise pollutes the air with his whining.

Which one do you thing celebrities cater to?

Do the John Q. Moron Conservatives not watch movies or listen to music? Have no taste in the arts?

Strangelove

Which one do you thing celebrities cater to? Let me just say that I hope there are no real people like either of those.

Zeal Ex Nihilo
Originally posted by Robtard
Do the John Q. Moron Conservatives not watch movies or listen to music? Have no taste in the arts?
Hollywood != taste. Watching movies isn't the same thing as caring what the actors have to say. And there are some churches that say that you can't go to movies. Fairly recently, a Christian college near my hometown (~20 minute drive) lifted the ban on VCRs (and then later allowed DVD players).

VEE SEE ARES, for Christ's sake.
Originally posted by Strangelove
Let me just say that I hope there are no real people like either of those.
Hope is the first step on the path to disappointment.

RocasAtoll
I care because some of them (the Rock, Bruce Willis, Kurt Russell) are actors that I like.

It's a shame that in a town where people can get on The View and scream about impeachment and that cheney is a terrorist and get applause, a star has to put out this big statement: "I'm NOT a republican" for fear of being black-listed.

In a place that's supposedly about promoting freedom of expression, no less. roll eyes (sarcastic)
And how is this different than a redneck town where you can say all Arabs are terrorist but if you call out Bush on one of his many mistakes, you'll get lynched?

Robtard
Recently on Fox News, Stephen Baldwin told Laura Ingram that he'll leave the country if Barack gets elected.

Zeal Ex Nihilo
Originally posted by RocasAtoll
And how is this different than a redneck town where you can say all Arabs are terrorist but if you call out Bush on one of his many mistakes, you'll get lynched?
No, no. You have to be a queer to be lynched.
Recently on Fox News, Stephen Baldwin told Laura Ingram that he'll leave the country if Barack gets elected.
I get so ****ing sick of that. Anyone who says dumb shit like, "I'll leave the country if gets elected!" should get hit on the ass by the door on the way out.

BackFire
Stephen Baldwin huh?

Pretty sure there aren't many people losing sleep over him leaving the country. Guy is barely a celebrity.

Zeal Ex Nihilo
Isn't he a fatty? Or is that Alec Baldwin?

Robtard
Originally posted by BackFire
Stephen Baldwin huh?

Pretty sure there aren't many people losing sleep over him leaving the country. Guy is barely a celebrity.

I know you mastubated to Threesome and probablyto Bio-Dome too.

He's currently (or was) travelling the US on a bus and preaching the good word of Jesus. You can find out (online) if he's stopping in your city and sit in on one of his preachings.

Robtard
Isn't he a fatty? Or is that Alec Baldwin?

Daniel is the classic "fat Baldwin brother", but Alec has put on the tonnage recently.

Devil King
I know you mastubated to Threesome

I did.

Blax_Hydralisk
Hope is the first step on the path to disappointment.

Stealing this shit.

Sanctuary
Wrong account.

- Bardock

Bardock42
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Little? ha

Stop destroying our hope.

Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
Celebs only care about politics when they get media attention.

Same with causes and charity. Got look good for the camera.

I am sure, since celebrities are people, too, that some, at least, do actually believe what they speak out for. As for charities, I think it is quite good and natural for them to want media attention, since being more known usually means getting more money for the cause you are trying to support. Of course there are probably lots of people who just want the attention and don't care about the specific causes (it is likely as that is the case for many human beings, see Big Brother/American Idol, etc), but to make such a blanket statement is a) ridiculous and likely wrong and b) pretty unfair towards the many people that do actually believe in their causes.

Also, do you hate particles?

Trying to shut me up like all the other conservative celebs, eh?

I think, the way you wrote that, it is implying that you are a conservative celeb.

Funny.

I care because some of them (the Rock, Bruce Willis, Kurt Russell) are actors that I like. /B]

Which begs the question whether you like them for their political views or for their acting ability (certainly in the case of the Rock, who is shit, factually)

I get so ****ing sick of that. Anyone who says dumb shit like, "I'll leave the country if gets elected!" should get hit on the ass by the door on the way out.

I don't think the saying it is really the problem, the not doing it though...that is pretty stupid.

Robtard
Originally posted by Devil King
I did.

So gay.

(I'm assuming you masturbated to the scene that had the man-on-man love, though that was keep to a bare minimum if I recall.)

Robtard
Originally posted by Blax_Hydralisk
Stealing this shit.

Don't worry, Zeal stole that shit too.

Zeal Ex Nihilo
Don't worry, Zeal stole that shit too.
I was saying it BEFORE Dawn of War made it popular.

Devil King
So gay.

(I'm assuming you masturbated to the scene that had the man-on-man love, though that was keep to a bare minimum if I recall.)

It was the scene with all three of them. It was kept to a minimum, only a hand on an ass cheek that he pulled away and then the straight guy put it back. Other then that, I don't recall anything else.

Zeal Ex Nihilo
Originally posted by Devil King
It was the scene with all three of them. It was kept to a minimum, only a hand on an ass cheek that he pulled away and then the straight guy put it back. Other then that, I don't recall anything else.
Personally, I never found Deliverance to be that arousing.

Devil King
Personally, I never found Deliverance to be that arousing.

I've always wondered why people talk about that movie like it was terrible. I finally saw it not too long ago an it wasn't that unerving. Sure, no one wants to get raped by a hillbilly, but compared to some things I've seen, Deliverance was nothing.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.