Early Reviews of "Dark Knight" Best Comic Movie Ever?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SupezM'
http://movies.ign.com/articles/884/884876p1.html

"It isn't an overstatement to call The Dark Knight the most sophisticated and ambitious work of its kind."

"The Dark Knight qualifies as the first official comic book adaptation that truly succeeds in being a great artistic achievement in its own right."

"there's Ledger, whose performance I suspect will be the subject of many analyses of all sorts in the weeks and months to come. What he does with The Joker is, quite frankly, nothing short of transcendent."

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/blog/entry.php?id=173

"I still haven't seen a film that blew me away... that is until last night. Warner Bros. Pictures' THE DARK KNIGHT is not only the best film I have seen this year, but quite possibly the best superhero movie ever made. "

"If DARK KNIGHT gets anything less than an Oscar nomination it would be a great injustice to the world of cinema."

"The acting is only part of the reason KNIGHT is so fabulous, Nolan has taken Batman to new heights."

http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/movie/16155928/review/21477208/the_dark_knight

"Heads up: a thunderbolt is about to rip into the blanket of bland we call summer movies. The Dark Knight, director Christopher Nolan's absolute stunner of a follow-up to 2005's Batman Begins, is a potent provocation decked out as a comic-book movie."

"The haunting and visionary Dark Knight soars on the wings of untamed imagination. It's full of surprises you don't see coming. And just try to get it out of your dreams. "

SelinaAndBruce
I hope it really is that good usually when critics lay it on thick like that it turns me off. I remember reading how amazing Iron Man was and it never seemed quite as amazing to me as it did to the critics, though it was good if you get my drift. I am eager though. I know the Dark Knight will be good.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by SupezM'
http://movies.ign.com/articles/884/884876p1.html

"It isn't an overstatement to call The Dark Knight the most sophisticated and ambitious work of its kind."

"The Dark Knight qualifies as the first official comic book adaptation that truly succeeds in being a great artistic achievement in its own right."

"there's Ledger, whose performance I suspect will be the subject of many analyses of all sorts in the weeks and months to come. What he does with The Joker is, quite frankly, nothing short of transcendent."

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/blog/entry.php?id=173

"I still haven't seen a film that blew me away... that is until last night. Warner Bros. Pictures' THE DARK KNIGHT is not only the best film I have seen this year, but quite possibly the best superhero movie ever made. "

"If DARK KNIGHT gets anything less than an Oscar nomination it would be a great injustice to the world of cinema."

"The acting is only part of the reason KNIGHT is so fabulous, Nolan has taken Batman to new heights."

http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/movie/16155928/review/21477208/the_dark_knight

"Heads up: a thunderbolt is about to rip into the blanket of bland we call summer movies. The Dark Knight, director Christopher Nolan's absolute stunner of a follow-up to 2005's Batman Begins, is a potent provocation decked out as a comic-book movie."

"The haunting and visionary Dark Knight soars on the wings of untamed imagination. It's full of surprises you don't see coming. And just try to get it out of your dreams. "

This will only the second time that I believe in what critics say. I've said it numerous times that The Dark Knight will be THE BEST COMIC BOOK ADAPTATION EVER. I believe that , truly. As a matter of fact, I will say that The Dark Knight has an excellent chance of breaking a certain box office record.

@st
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
This will only the second time that I believe in what critics say. I've said it numerous times that The Dark Knight will be THE BEST COMIC BOOK ADAPTATION EVER. I believe that , truly. As a matter of fact, I will say that The Dark Knight has an excellent chance of breaking a certain box office record.

It could break records, it has an unbelievable amount of hype right now. Only problem I see, is that it is very dark compared to most big summer blockbusters, they could come up short if kids dont go.

sithsaber408
But if it's the male version of Titanic, where fans go back 5 to 6 times each to see it, then the kiddies won't matter.

(titanic had an opening weekend of like 28 mil. It was all the repeat business for 11 weeks that made it big)

SpaceMonkey
I can't believe Titanic is number 1 all-time. What a joke!

@st
That was the peak of little girl's LeoMania. stick out tongue

sithsaber408
To be overtaken by.....

BATMANIA! evil face

stick out tongue

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by @st
It could break records, it has an unbelievable amount of hype right now. Only problem I see, is that it is very dark compared to most big summer blockbusters, they could come up short if kids dont go.

People I have talked see no problem about TDK being dark. It should be dark. Batman is a dark character. As for kids. They will this and come out in droves. I'm talking my 10 year old nephew opening night.

SelinaAndBruce
I dunno if this is gonna be bigger than Titanic necessarily, lol. That's a tall order.

ragesRemorse
kevin smith said it is the most adult comic movie yet and is a near masterpiece

Dark-Jaxx
Kevin Smith? The guy that made Clerks lol?

This movie will make me cum.

Placidity
This is great news. Can't say I am surprised though, I've always said that Ledger's greatest performance would be in TDK.

Myth
Originally posted by Dark-Jaxx
Kevin Smith? The guy that made Clerks lol?

Same guy. Smith is also a huge comic book fan and buddy of Stan Lee. Its pretty cool that a close buddy of Stan Lee's would say that a DC movie is a near masterpiece.

Juntai
Originally posted by Myth
Same guy. Smith is also a huge comic book fan and buddy of Stan Lee. Its pretty cool that a close buddy of Stan Lee's would say that a DC movie is a near masterpiece. Not sure why it's surprising, since Kevin Smith wrote comics for DC, and tried to land many DC projects. He's a big fan of DC's side of comics.

Mr Shindiggery
Originally posted by Juntai
Not sure why it's surprising, since Kevin Smith wrote comics for DC, and tried to land many DC projects. He's a big fan of DC's side of comics.

Yeh he was hired by Warner Bros to do a Superman script at one point with Tim Burton at the helm but once Burton was on board he got rid of Smith. As a consequence of this Kevin has always made fun of Burton and his Batman movies but its kind of strange as he kind of respects at the same time cause on the 2 disc special edition of of the Batman 89 DVD he comments on the first Batman movie in a positive manner saying "and this is the Batman Tim Burton gave us in 1989" referring to of course how Burton took infulance from the Frank Miller comics that came out earlier in the 80s in particular, The Dark Knight Returns.

SupezM'
Sounds great so far..

WrathfulDwarf
Just to let you guys now, any reviews with spoilers will be removed and edited. There is been a ton of spoilers going out at this time and the movie is only a week away. Be careful with the reviews you may post. Whether it's yours or a critic use it properly.

S_D_J
BB was such an amazing surprise ( I remember not believing WD when he kept telling us how good it was going to be)... and now comes The Dark Knght, The early reviews only help to further fuel the hype, and so far, I'm confident the hype it's well deserved...

I fear for Heath Ledger's performance though, not because it won't be great, but because some would say it would be praised out of homage for the actor, and not because of the quality of his interpretation.

The sequence when Batman chases the Joker in the Batpod...eek! amazing.... I want a Batpod

Mairuzu
I want a Heath Ledger/Joker life size wax doll

so i can.. do stuff... shock

Erik-Lensherr
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
Just to let you guys now, any reviews with spoilers will be removed and edited. There is been a ton of spoilers going out at this time and the movie is only a week away. Be careful with the reviews you may post. Whether it's yours or a critic use it properly.

thumb up

I'm really trying to avoid spoilers, which is why the only things I've read in the past weeks are no-spoiler reviews. I haven't even entered the "Dark Knight: Current status" thread for potential spoilers laughing out loud

S_D_J
Originally posted by Mairuzu
I want a Heath Ledger/Joker life size wax doll

so i can.. do stuff... shock

Having "Brokeback Mountain" fantasies, huh?

Prime#
Guys, Last night I saw a preview screening of TDK, don't worry, I'm not gonna give any spoilers but I will say a few things.

About 30 min. into the movie you tend to forget its a comic book movie, and start to see it as a crime movie. Its truly an epic experience. The Acting on all parts is pitch perfect. Heath Ledgers Joker is chilling. I can laugh off R rated gore fests but there were a few scenes in this movie that had me cringing. This is the most down to Earth comic movie I have ever scene.

I give it a 10/10. This is not only quite possibly my favorite comic movie ever, but one of my ALL TIME favorites

SelinaAndBruce
Originally posted by Prime#
Guys, Last night I saw a preview screening of TDK, don't worry, I'm not gonna give any spoilers but I will say a few things.

About 30 min. into the movie you tend to forget its a comic book movie, and start to see it as a crime movie. Its truly an epic experience. The Acting on all parts is pitch perfect. Heath Ledgers Joker is chilling. I can laugh off R rated gore fests but there were a few scenes in this movie that had me cringing. This is the most down to Earth comic movie I have ever scene.

I give it a 10/10. This is not only quite possibly my favorite comic movie ever, but one of my ALL TIME favorites
Thank you for that Prime!!! With 5 days to go I am VERY excited!!! big grin

ESB -1138
This is the best DC movie ever!!

Bat Dude
Is it really better than the comic book classics?

Superman?

The Crow?

Sin City?

Spider-Man?

X-Men 2?

300?

And is it actually as good as the crime classics?

Godfather?

Scarface?

Goodfellas?

Heat?

Taxi Driver?

I really want to know if Jett's hype is for real... He's going saying it's one of the best crime movies and I'm really thinking that's BS... So I just want someone who's seen the movie to clear this up...

Darth Martin
Originally posted by Bat Dude

Superman?

The Crow?

Sin City?

Spider-Man?

X-Men 2?

300?

Godfather?

Scarface?

Goodfellas?

Heat?

Taxi Driver?

I really want to know if Jett's hype is for real... He's going saying it's one of the best crime movies and I'm really thinking that's BS... So I just want someone who's seen the movie to clear this up... It's pretty great dude. I just saw it on IMAX! Ledger's Joker will go down as one of the best villains ever. It's better than all the comic book movies you listed easily. The crime movies. Godfather is pretty good. But this is in another realm. They're too different to compare.

Impediment
The Dark knight is, in my humble opinion, the very best comic book movie I have ever seen.

I never thought that a movie could be made to top Sin City.

I was wrong.

Heath Ledger's performance was utterly captivating from beginning to end. He was truly a gifted actor, even if I was not shaken up by his untimely death.

I sometimes forgot that I was watching a comic book film, and found myself clenching my fists and toes at times during the movie. The Dark Knight shines so bright that I feel it's influence will affect future comic book films and how they are written/made.

batdude123
This movie is god-like. smile

S_D_J
Originally posted by Impediment
The Dark knight is, in my humble opinion, the very best comic book movie I have ever seen.

I never thought that a movie could be made to top Sin City.

I was wrong.

Heath Ledger's performance was utterly captivating from beginning to end. He was truly a gifted actor, even if I was not shaken up by his untimely death.

I sometimes forgot that I was watching a comic book film, and found myself clenching my fists and toes at times during the movie. The Dark Knight shines so bright that I feel it's influence will affect future comic book films and how they are written/made.

I though Begins changed how comic book movies are made...I was wrong

Nolan is the only one able to out-do himself...

Darth Vicious
I just came back from seeing it and dammit this movie was awesome. For the first time I understand why the Joker is Batmans worst enemy, Why hes truly Bats counterpart. I never took the Joker seriously until tonight. What a great performance! Heath Ledger took the ball and ran with it all the way to heaven(hopefully). Ill take his version over Nicholson's any time.

Impediment
Originally posted by S_D_J
I though Begins changed how comic book movies are made...I was wrong

Nolan is the only one able to out-do himself...

Frank Miller and Robert Rodriguez, too.

S_D_J
Frank Miller and Robert Rodriguez, too.

Will see how Sin City 2 fares

The Dark Knight has set the bar pretty high

Impediment
Did anyone else gather the allusions to Jeph Loeb's story "The Long Halloween" during the movie?

"I believe in Harvey Dent".

Bats, Dent, and Gordon all on the rooftop?

S_D_J
I don't know much about "The Long Halloween"... but I saw "The Killing Joke" here and there

Impediment
Originally posted by S_D_J
I don't know much about "The Long Halloween"... but I saw "The Killing Joke" here and there

Really? Examples?

I highly recommend you buy the TPB of The Long Halloween. yes

Galan007
The movie was horrible. jokedur

only kidding.

S_D_J
Really? Examples?

I highly recommend you buy the TPB of The Long Halloween. yes

What the Joker did to Harvey... using Rachel...what he does to the city, to prove that everyman can do the wrong thing, and turn themselves into a madman... his many "origins" stories... and somehow Batman and the Joker dialogue at the end... the two of them going at each other forever...(until one of them dies)

... though I've been told to read "The Long Halloween" many times before... I would do so

SnakeEyes
Did anyone else gather the allusions to Jeph Loeb's story "The Long Halloween" during the movie?

"I believe in Harvey Dent".

Bats, Dent, and Gordon all on the rooftop?

Yeah, a lot of the movie reminded me of The Long Halloween (which was a good thing).

BlackSunshine
I'm not a comic book fan myself but I have been told (by Matt) about them alot. The Dark Knight was the BEST comic adaptaion I've EVER seen!

Spiderman, X-Men, Sin City, Spawn, and yes even Hellboy aint got sh*t on the Dark Knight.

Ledgers performance was amazing! I truly feel he did a better adaptaion of the Joker than Nicholson. Nicholson did a great job as The Joker but Ledgers performance was utterly mind blowing! His laugh and his voice was crazy. I think we might go...hell what am I saying...we will go see this movie again and again!

I loved the "magic trick"

Micheal_Myers
After returning from my second viewing of TDK I will officially confirm that it is easily the great comic book movie I have ever seen. Not only that, but literally one of the greatest movies I have ever seen, period. Ledger's performance as The Joker was nothing short of amazing. Chris Nolan just really raised the bar not only for comic book movies, but he has also set a new standard for summer blockbusters in general.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
I just got home after seeing it in IMAX...wow! Watching it on that screen is like looking through a panoramic window. The whole movie was electric! The Hong Kong scene was incredible, and so was the chase through the underpass. The bit where the bat-bike shoots off = woah, and the bit where he plays chicken with the Joker = woah, too.

I can't wait to see where Nolan takes it from here...

brainchild81
Superman? Easily. The Supes films weren't that good at all. They seemed good when I was very young. Nowadays, they suck. TDK was great.
The Crow? Yep
Sin City? Debatable
Spider-Man? Debatable, but probably so
X-Men 2? Yep. It's better than Wolverine 2
300? Yep

Godfather?

Scarface?

Goodfellas?

Heat?

Taxi Driver? Nah. Close though.

Now let's see If DC can make 2 good movies in a row. Batman's future is anybody's guess. Heard Nolan ain't doing another

BruceSkywalker
Yes The Dark Knight in my opinion is the best comic book movie ever. But The Dark Knight doesn't not even play like it is a comic book movie

Bat Dude
After watching The Dark Knight, I've come to realize it to be the best comic book film, but that's as far as I'm going...

It's not on Godfather's level, it's not on Scarface's level, and anyone who says it is, really doesn't know what they're talking about...

But a great movie, nonetheless...

brainchild81
Told you big grin

Bat Dude
Originally posted by brainchild81
Told you big grin

Yeah, you did embarrasment

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.