Zero Punctuation

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

WrathfulDwarf
So what do you think of this guy? His name is Ben Croshaw. He is a video game reviewer and extremely critical of game franchise such as Halo, Mario Bros, Metal Gear Solid, GTA, and others.

He seems to satirize his reviews and can could care less about the rage of rabid fanboys.

Have you seen his reviews? Here is one of his recent reviews:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/99-Metal-Gear-Solid-4

(Warning: Foul language in the video)

@st
I love him. stick out tongue

His reviews are often hilarious and I tend to agree with a lot of what he says, and we seem to share the same ideas about gaming. His Condemned 2 review is classic. laughing out loud

General Kaliero
Yahtzee is great. I love his reviews. Even when I disagree, I can still laugh at the humor, and the guy certainly has a way with words. Few can string together such eloquent insults.

Neo Darkhalen
He is very good, a reviewer who can make me laugh.

Morridini
Yeah he's great, seen all of his reviews.

A few of them aren't so great though, but luckly there arent many of those. I like how when he is talking about perfection Portal is next to Jesus on the scale.

ragesRemorse
yeah, metal gear 4 does blow

BackFire
He's alright.

I like his articles in PC Gamer. Don't actually go to his website very often.

Blax_Hydralisk
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/21-Crysis

crylaugh

Peach
His reviews never fail to make me laugh.

@st
His webcomic rant this week was probably the weakest he has done, it really didnt interest me. I was hoping he would review more old games that he liked, like his Painkiller review. I had never played or knew anything about Painkiller, but it was still funny as hell to hear him talk about. stick out tongue

Blax_Hydralisk
Originally posted by Peach
His reviews never fail to make me laugh.

yeah, I looked through about ten of them and they all made me laugh my ass off.

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by @st
His webcomic rant this week was probably the weakest he has done, it really didnt interest me.

I agree, I didn't see the point of taking on Ctrl+Alt comic. I like it better when he takes on games or franchises. Aside from that the guy is real good.

DigiMark007
Wow. I just watched a bunch of them. The Mass Effect one in particular made me laugh my ass off.

Raoul
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
So what do you think of this guy? His name is Ben Croshaw. He is a video game reviewer and extremely critical of game franchise such as Halo, Mario Bros, Metal Gear Solid, GTA, and others.

He seems to satirize his reviews and can could care less about the rage of rabid fanboys.

Have you seen his reviews? Here is one of his recent reviews:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/99-Metal-Gear-Solid-4

(Warning: Foul language in the video)

i catch that whenever i can, pure gold...

SaTsuJiN
I think he sucks.. he doesnt even try to be knowledgeable about the game he reviews (on a gameplay basis).. all he does is rag on it at face-value

the only reason he gets popular is cuz he's the only one who'll speak 'against the crowd'... cliche, IMO

funny? sure..
am I gonna base whether or not I purchase a game based on his review? hell no..

Morridini
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
I agree, I didn't see the point of taking on Ctrl+Alt comic. I like it better when he takes on games or franchises. Aside from that the guy is real good.

Now that you reminded me of that webcomic I went back and read some, and first now I understand what he meant about the woman mysteriously becoming girlfriend while all he does is stare at her beasts. That was truly a pretty crappy part of ctrl alt, will take a look at the later strips to see if ti has improved.

And Sat, I think you are taking it way too serious.

S_D_J
I like him, he's real funny... whenever I understand him, cuz he talks really fast...

I actually never heard of him until a few months ago when I got a "Zero Puntuation" theme for my PSP...

Quite funny, But I don't take his opinion too seriously...

DigiMark007
Originally posted by SaTsuJiN
I think he sucks.. he doesnt even try to be knowledgeable about the game he reviews (on a gameplay basis).. all he does is rag on it at face-value

the only reason he gets popular is cuz he's the only one who'll speak 'against the crowd'... cliche, IMO

funny? sure..
am I gonna base whether or not I purchase a game based on his review? hell no..

He's funny. But you have a couple decent points. It's clear he likes certain types of games and despises others. So it could be a great game (Mass Effect, for example) and he could give it a crappy review because he's clearly not an RPG'er. A lot of the stuff he was railing against were cool to me (and others, apparently).

But that's his job. Give scathing reviews of popular titles and be funny. I wouldn't necessarily trust his opinion all the time, but that doesn't mean I won't listen to him.

ThoraxeRMG
He should be decapitated, that's my opinion on him.

Blax_Hydralisk
You're just mad because he was hating on MGS4.

Dark-Jaxx
I don't even find him funny, and think his reviews suck, so he can die.

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by Morridini
Now that you reminded me of that webcomic I went back and read some, and first now I understand what he meant about the woman mysteriously becoming girlfriend while all he does is stare at her beasts. That was truly a pretty crappy part of ctrl alt, will take a look at the later strips to see if ti has improved.

And Sat, I think you are taking it way too serious.

I agree with that also...Buckley seems to shift away from spoofing video game news into more of a personal story. I'd rather have him stick to video games than social issues.

Alpha Centauri
He said what everyone was afraid to say or believe about Grand Theft Auto 4, and ended up saying anyway.

Same with Metal Gear 4, and that is that once the hype dies down, so does ones rating of the game.

I think he's very good, he hasn't ever claimed to be an expert reviewer. He's obviously an older, PC gaming elitist who still tries his best to branch out, and finds what he discovers to his dislike. I don't think he believes he's anything he's not.

-AC

Peach
Originally posted by DigiMark007
He's funny. But you have a couple decent points. It's clear he likes certain types of games and despises others. So it could be a great game (Mass Effect, for example) and he could give it a crappy review because he's clearly not an RPG'er. A lot of the stuff he was railing against were cool to me (and others, apparently).

But that's his job. Give scathing reviews of popular titles and be funny. I wouldn't necessarily trust his opinion all the time, but that doesn't mean I won't listen to him.

What about those who like RPGs and hate Mass Effect? stick out tongue

Originally posted by Dark-Jaxx
I don't even find him funny, and think his reviews suck, so he can die.

Lemme guess, he gave a bad review to a game you like.

DigiMark007
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
He said what everyone was afraid to say or believe about Grand Theft Auto 4, and ended up saying anyway.

yes

Originally posted by Peach
What about those who like RPGs and hate Mass Effect? stick out tongue

Those people are wrong.

no expression

DigiMark007
Those people are wrong.

no expression

Correction: That person is wrong. The word "people" implies that there's more than one with that opinion.

Neo Darkhalen
Correction: That person is wrong. The word "people" implies that there's more than one with that opinion.

I don't like Mass Effect and i love RPG's no expression

First_Tsurugi06
He's intentionally an *******, which is what makes him funny to listen to. He ultimately gets his opinions across, and often lets us know in some way that he likes the game or not, but it doesn't stop him from making scathing jokes about it like the ******* he's supposed to be.

Neo Darkhalen
Originally posted by First_Tsurugi06
He's intentionally an *******, which is what makes him funny to listen to. He ultimately gets his opinions across, and often lets us know in some way that he likes the game or not, but it doesn't stop him from making scathing jokes about it like the ******* he's supposed to be.

Although all his points stem from truth in some regard.

First_Tsurugi06
But are also exaggerated in ways that pretty much nobody else would look at it as because other things may make it irrelelvant.

The j0keR
All games have flaws(except for Portal stick out tongue ) and he just points them out, aggressively. lol

ESB -1138
Originally posted by The j0keR
All games have flaws(except for Portal stick out tongue ) and he just points them out, aggressively. lol

Portal sucks monkey balls.

Neo Darkhalen
Originally posted by First_Tsurugi06
But are also exaggerated in ways that pretty much nobody else would look at it as because other things may make it irrelelvant.

Which is why i said in some regard. stick out tongue

Morridini
Originally posted by ESB -1138

*Inhales*
Blasphemy!
*passes out*

Neo Darkhalen
Originally posted by ESB -1138

What how can you say that.....it's portal!......i don't know what to say.....

DigiMark007
Originally posted by Neo Darkhalen
I don't like Mass Effect and i love RPG's no expression

Suck-up.

stick out tongue

Neo Darkhalen
Suck-up.

stick out tongue

Of course! haermmstick out tongue

SaTsuJiN
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
He said what everyone was afraid to say

He said it because he knew it would make him popular, not because its honestly how he feels.. its pretty obvious when people "go against the conformists" smile

Neo Darkhalen
He said it because he knew it would make him popular, not because its honestly how he feels.. its pretty obvious when people "go against the conformists" smile

Not really most of his points are genuine, GTAIV is a boring game after you get past the sandbox, it's repetitive like other GTA's compered to it's earlier games which used to have wacky missions that were fun.

While i don't agree with all points most of them stem from a truth.

JKozzy
The reviews amuse me. I'm not going to him to get a serious opinion. His best work was the Console Rundown, imo.

SaTsuJiN
Originally posted by Neo Darkhalen
Not really most of his points are genuine, GTAIV is a boring game after you get past the sandbox, it's repetitive like other GTA's compered to it's earlier games which used to have wacky missions that were fun.

While i don't agree with all points most of them stem from a truth. Yes, but I'm sure you could have come to that conclusion on your own.. we all knew somewhere that sandbox game play gets stale.. didn't need him to spell it out

Originally posted by JKozzy
The reviews amuse me. I'm not going to him to get a serious opinion. His best work was the Console Rundown, imo.

yes

Neo Darkhalen
Yes, but I'm sure you could have come to that conclusion on your own.. we all knew somewhere that sandbox game play gets stale.. didn't need him to spell it out

yes

True but it was amusing none the less, we all know the flaws of games, like me i am not afraid to say Mass Effect is a poor game, to me at least but he says the same thing in a comical way.

The j0keR
People may not like him, but I can probably guarantee that everyone has atleast one review where they totally agree with him. stick out tongue

Alpha Centauri
Yes, but I'm sure you could have come to that conclusion on your own.. we all knew somewhere that sandbox game play gets stale.. didn't need him to spell it out

That's the point.

Smart people already know what it is he's saying, so if you're one of the aforementioned gamers who happens to not spread your assh*le for the hype penis every time a new game comes out, you'll have heard or thought it all before.

So then it just comes down to "Do you find him funny?". I do, a lot of the time. Even if I disagree, his analogies and structure are comical to me. It's not necessarily that he's teaching me anything, more that it's refreshing to know that there are more than two souls left in the world who happen to agree that GTA4 was an overhyped wankpile.

Then it's even funnier watching the hype die down and people, who previously used the CD hole as a pleasure device, start realising it's not actually that great.

He likes GTA 4, but then the man has a talent for highlighting the negatives, being true about it and being entertaining. I've never once see him deny that he likes something I think is shit, just doesn't focus on it. He highlighted that he enjoys the combat in Devil May Cry 4, but then he also said that you could achieve a similar result by making a wasp fight a spider with Slipknot in the background, then pouring red and green marbles over whoever wins.

As funny as that analogy is, it's true. It doesn't mean he can't like it.

-AC

Smasandian
I dont really considering him a reviewer.

He's highly entertaining and he raises good points, but I dont considering him a reviewer. I take his stance on games he talks about with a grain of salt.

DigiMark007
Originally posted by The j0keR
People may not like him, but I can probably guarantee that everyone has atleast one review where they totally agree with him. stick out tongue

yes

GTA IV for me. Parts of others.

Originally posted by Smasandian
I dont really considering him a reviewer.

He's highly entertaining and he raises good points, but I dont considering him a reviewer. I take his stance on games he talks about with a grain of salt.

yes

Alpha Centauri
He's a reviewer in the sense that he does reviews of games, but it's more in the tone of "Here's my opinion of the game.", as opposed to telling you what he thought about the game and what it contains with a view to recommending it or not.

-AC

Smasandian
That's probably it.

WrathfulDwarf
Not very sure...but I think Croshaw does not use a rating system for his reviews. I think he even hates them...I think..

ESB -1138
He sorta reminds me of the Angry Video Game Nerd but for modern games.

WrathfulDwarf
Cronshaw comments on Lucas, Wii, and The Force Unleashed.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/251-Star-Wars-The-Force-Unleashed

(cover your ears children)

ESB -1138
I think that's one of his best videos. I couldn't stop laughing.

@stroFan
I liked his opinions on the Wii and on Star Wars, I continue to love him. His Mercs 2 review had me in stitches. laughing out loud

jaden101
his style reminds me of redeye from edge magazine...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.