despero vs avenger/xmen

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

carver9
Can despero pull off the same thing that he did to the jla/jsa. Even though he is in a different universe his powerlevel is still the same when he fought jla/jsa.

The team consist of:

*Xmen:

Wolverine
Joseph (magneto clone)
Colossus
Rogue (classic with ms marvel powers)
Cyclops
Havok
Warpath
Emma Frost

*Avengers

Thor (classic)
Professor Hulk
Vision
Ion wonderman
Iron man
Immortal Hercules
War bird

Raoul
most of the x-men are dead in seconds, unless they have ALOT of breathing room... then they die in minutes...

don't see the avengers doing much better, bar thor and hulk, but even then, despero is a beast physically and telepathically...

carver9
I still give it to the team and could despero take a set of adamantium claws to the head. Hawk man mace did pretty good damage.

Raoul
Originally posted by carver9
I still give it to the team and could despero take a set of adamantium claws to the head. Hawk man mace did pretty good damage.

hawkman's mace is made of nth metal, and hawkman has superhuman strength...

barring a fastball special by a pissed off hulk, i don't see how...

Hyperion Prime
Originally posted by Raoul
most of the x-men are dead in seconds, unless they have ALOT of breathing room... then they die in minutes...

don't see the avengers doing much better, bar thor and hulk, but even then, despero is a beast physically and telepathically...

WHat about Emma Frost...she is the second most powerful telepath after Xavier. Also she is bringing the Stepford Cuckoo into it somehow. I know who Despero is even though I don't read much DC. Are his psychic abilities that great?

Raoul
Originally posted by Hyperion Prime
WHat about Emma Frost...she is the second most powerful telepath after Xavier. Also she is bringing the Stepford Cuckoo into it somehow. I know who Despero is even though I don't read much DC. Are his psychic abilities that great?

despero subdued martian manhunter AND aquaman at the same time telepathically...

carver9
hawkman's mace is made of nth metal, and hawkman has superhuman strength...

barring a fastball special by a pissed off hulk, i don't see how...

Wolverine has cut through almost everyone he has encountered with his adamantium claws. The only one that come to mind that he hasnt cut through was juggernaut and I think that despero is far away from being that durable. Im not saying that wolverine could solo but I could see him claws cutting through him no problem but hey you could be right. I would say despero durability is up there with konvikt and we saw how good konvikt durability is against arrows. Even though he took punches from some of the strongest on the planet dont mean that he is good against sharpnel.

Raoul
Wolverine has cut through almost everyone he has encountered with his adamantium claws. The only one that come to mind that he hasnt cut through was juggernaut and I think that despero is far away from being that durable. Im not saying that wolverine could solo but I could see him claws cutting through him no problem but hey you could be right. I would say despero durability is up there with konvikt and we saw how good konvikt durability is against arrows. Even though he took punches from some of the strongest on the planet dont mean that he is good against sharpnel.

he hasnt cut through colossus...

wolverine has limits...

Hyperion Prime
despero subdued martian manhunter AND aquaman at the same time telepathically...

Despero must be a bad ass then, because Martian Manhunter has telepathic skills that are stronger than Xavier. How strong is Despero? Is his durability Juggernaut level? Thanks.

carver9

Thats why I put emma in so that she could block despero mind attacks from affecting anyone on the battle field which would lead to him having to fight everyone physically. I think that emma possess enough telepathic power to at least stop him from affecting her teammates. She has done this on numerous of occasions against some of the strongest telepaths out there.

Raoul
Despero must be a bad ass then, because Martian Manhunter has telepathic skills that are stronger than Xavier. How strong is Despero? Is his durability Juggernaut level? Thanks.

he took on superman, captain marvel, wonder woman, powergirl and hourman physically, and came out on top... i don't know if its as infinite as juggernaut's, but its up there...

Thats why I put emma in so that she could block despero mind attacks from affecting anyone on the battle field which would lead to him having to fight everyone physically. I think that emma possess enough telepathic power to at least stop him from affecting her teammates. She has done this on numerous of occasions against some of the strongest telepaths out there.

emma, as good as she is, isn't despero level...

carver9
he hasnt cut through colossus...

wolverine has limits...

You do know that colossus stood up to a explosion that not even the hulk could stand up against and this was during the secret wars and there have been times where wolverine has damaged colossus. Let me say this though, wolverine cut thanos who possessed the gauntlet.

Raoul
You do know that colossus stood up to a explosion that not even the hulk could stand up against and this was during the secret wars and there have been times where wolverine has damaged colossus. Let me say this though, wolverine cut thanos who possessed the gauntlet.

wolverine cutting thanos is crap, to be honest...

where has he hurt colossus?

colossus is class 100 strength, with comparable durability... his lack of a healing factor (like the hulk) means he has to be able to take alot as it is...

Hyperion Prime
he took on superman, captain marvel, wonder woman, powergirl and hourman physically, and came out on top... i don't know if its as infinite as juggernaut's, but its up there...

WTF that's DOS Doomsday level right there....actually....greater because he didnt fight as many bricks at the same time.

I am going to have to get some stuff with Despero in it.....i have 5000 marvel books and only like 100 DC books

carver9

emma, as good as she is, isn't despero level...

I agree she isnt despero level, she isnt attacking him with her mind she basically fending him off long enough to make it a physical fight. He would be to overwhelmed with this team coming at him with full force to be trying to overpower emma mentally.

He has some high durability but who dont have high durability that has faced wolverine. Wendigo is stated as being invulnerable but wolverine has sliced through him on how many occasions. Again there is next to none that has survived being cut by his claws, I dont think despero would be any different but again you could be right.

Raoul
WTF that's DOS Doomsday level right there....actually....greater because he didnt fight as many bricks at the same time.

I am going to have to get some stuff with Despero in it.....i have 5000 marvel books and only like 100 DC books

he's a beast, comicvine should have a list of his appearences... look up jla 119 and jla/jsa virtue and vice...

I agree she isnt despero level, she isnt attacking him with her mind she basically fending him off long enough to make it a physical fight. He would be to overwhelmed with this team coming at him with full force to be trying to overpower emma mentally.

i don't think so, tbh, he was able to fight several jla members while mentally taking over several others...

adamantium still needs force behind it to pierce, wolverine just happens to have plenty of insanely stupid feats... give colossus wolverine's claws, then maybe, but logan himself? no, and even if he did cut despero, iirc he has a decent healing factor...

carver9
wolverine cutting thanos is crap, to be honest...

where has he hurt colossus?

colossus is class 100 strength, with comparable durability... his lack of a healing factor (like the hulk) means he has to be able to take alot as it is...

Even though you dont agree with the fact that he cut thanos it still happened.

I forgot what issue it was but it was just a scrape.

Colossus by far is one of the most durable beings that I have seen in marvel unless you can name me some times where he has been damaged physically without some outside interference and we do all know why omega red and iron fist hurt him, both are plot device characters. I have yet to witness any physical damage towards colossus. It usually take blunt force to take him out which usually turn him back to human form.

carver9
he's a beast, comicvine should have a list of his appearences... look up jla 119 and jla/jsa virtue and vice...

I own the comic and read it about 5 times, he is a beast but he has done nothing that make me think that he is greater then lets say destroyer, someone who classic thor has soloed.

Raoul
Even though you dont agree with the fact that he cut thanos it still happened.

so did thanos getting arrested by the NYPD... erm

not ultimate, is it?

he's been beaten down physically by gladiator, hulk, juggernaut, to name a few... even a sentinel's energy blasts have KO'd him at times...

iron fist hurt him in an alternate universe...

I own the comic and read it about 5 times, he is a beast but he has done nothing that make me think that he is greater then lets say destroyer, someone who classic thor has soloed.

which comic?

Hyperion Prime

I love comicvine......thank you. I will check out Despero. Heck I may even buy him when he comes out in DC universe classics

Raoul
I love comicvine......thank you. I will check out Despero. Heck I may even buy him when he comes out in DC universe classics

he's the build a figure in the wonder woman wave... i just wish he was the new despero, but theyre using that design for the superman batman figure from dc direct...

Hyperion Prime
he's the build a figure in the wonder woman wave... i just wish he was the new despero, but theyre using that design for the superman batman figure from dc direct...

I have tons of Toy Biz and Hasbro Legends, But lately I have been collecting DC super Heroes and Dc Universe classics. I even have some DC Direct stuff. I would normally never collect a build a figure that's DC but Despero and Solomon Grundy are a must. big grin

Raoul
I have tons of Toy Biz and Hasbro Legends, But lately I have been collecting DC super Heroes and Dc Universe classics. I even have some DC Direct stuff. I would normally never collect a build a figure that's DC but Despero and Solomon Grundy are a must. big grin

yeah, i have a case ordered of the grundy wave too, theyre awesome...

my hasbro icons surfer hasnt arrived yet, though...

Hyperion Prime
yeah, i have a case ordered of the grundy wave too, theyre awesome...

my hasbro icons surfer hasnt arrived yet, though...

You are in Ireland???? That is why you don't have Surfer Icons yet.....he is everywhere in the states. If you go to the Fwoosh website someone maybe able to get you one quicker http://www.thefwoosh.com/forum/ there are alot of Europeans Canadians and people from Australia that trade there to get figures. Heck I live in America and can't find all the Fantastic Four Legends. sad

Raoul
You are in Ireland???? That is why you don't have Surfer Icons yet.....he is everywhere in the states. If you go to the Fwoosh website someone maybe able to get you one quicker http://www.thefwoosh.com/forum/ there are alot of Europeans Canadians and people from Australia that trade there to get figures. Heck I live in America and can't find all the Fantastic Four Legends. sad

i'm actually a member of fwoosh... stick out tongue

my surfer is ordered and paid for, he just hasnt arrived yet...

Hyperion Prime
i'm actually a member of fwoosh... stick out tongue

my surfer is ordered and paid for, he just hasnt arrived yet...

Me too!!! I love the Fwoosh...good luck getting your figures. big grin

Raoul
Me too!!! I love the Fwoosh...good luck getting your figures. big grin

thx, you too... if my jason case would be in stock, i'd get my grodd series too lol...

iceman24567
You two should get a room inlove but seriously Despero wins this like 7/10.

Avlon
Yep. Despero for the majority.

carver9
so did thanos getting arrested by the NYPD... erm

not ultimate, is it?

he's been beaten down physically by gladiator, hulk, juggernaut, to name a few... even a sentinel's energy blasts have KO'd him at times...

iron fist hurt him in an alternate universe...

which comic?

Thanos getting arrested by the police is totally different then getting cut by the most sharpest weapons in marvel universe. Thats why wolverine was called during the secret war because everyone thought that he would be the one that would down thanos due to his claws not his other abilities.

Thats why I stated physically he gets stomped sometime but he dont have any physical damage after the fights (scraps, bruises, holes, etc..). Colossus is very durable, he basically as durable as you can get but he isnt a fan of physical punishment that could knock him out. By the way look at the people that you named that downed him, WWHulk is close to being one of the strongest beings in comics, Gladiator was stated by Nova as being one of the strongest beings in the universe which could be true since he can amp his strength with his confidence and can basically move planets and destroy planets with nothing but physical might, and juggernaut who was stated on panel as having unlimited strength which is granted to him by cytorrak. All 3 of these people could basically be the strongest characters in comics which is a very good showing for colossus since he stood up to them and went fist for fist.

Iron fist, is a plot device character, I could see his punch denting adamantium if he tried. I dont think thats a low showing at all for colossus.

Raoul
Originally posted by iceman24567
You two should get a room inlove but seriously Despero wins this like 7/10.

jealous?

Thanos getting arrested by the police is totally different then getting cut by the most sharpest weapons in marvel universe. Thats why wolverine was called during the secret war because everyone thought that he would be the one that would down thanos due to his claws not his other abilities.

if i had an adamantium knife and ran towards a brick wall and tried to stab it, what do you think would happen?

colossus was no match for wwh, or gladiator, or juggernaut... he was even being beaten up by people from the breakworld, and they were getting smacked around by a cyclops that wasnt even using full powered blasts...

the thing that needs to be remembered about colossus, as i talked about with others last night, is that he doesnt have a HF... he can't heal injuries the way someone like hulk can, but hulk can take punches that colossus can't, because he's far more durable to blunt force trauma than pete...

you can't write colossus the way you can hulk or despero... they can be pierced, but they'll heal, if colossus gets pierced, he's screwed.

honestly, if i wrote x-men, colossus would be awesome, but at this point he's class 100, which puts him FAR below what despero is capable of...

i'm not saying its a low showing at all, just that it was an alternate universe, and there's no way to gauge the power of that colossus...

The Pict

The comic in which he damn near solo'd DC's two top teams was called Virtue and Vice.

Despero takes it more often than not. He stays on his feet when Superman, Captain Marvel, Wonder Woman, Powergirl all attack him at the same time, then puts each of them down. While he was in telepathic control of a whole city iirc.
He Mind rapes most of the team then physically stomps the rest.

Hyperion Prime
Originally posted by The Pict
The comic in which he damn near solo'd DC's two top teams was called Virtue and Vice.

Despero takes it more often than not. He stays on his feet when Superman, Captain Marvel, Wonder Woman, Powergirl all attack him at the same time, then puts each of them down. While he was in telepathic control of a whole city iirc.
He Mind rapes most of the team then physically stomps the rest.

I think Despero is cool. I am looking for virtue and vice series at my comic book shops tommorow. Actually from what I am hearing he may be able to beat Doomsday. confused

Scoobless
Classic Rogue FTW.

shifty

Raoul
I think Despero is cool. I am looking for virtue and vice series at my comic book shops tommorow. Actually from what I am hearing he may be able to beat Doomsday. confused

if manchester black can mentally reprogram him, i don't see why despero couldnt...

The Pict

Virtue and Vice wasn't that great IMO. But Despero was impressive in it.

Scoobless
adamantium still needs force behind it to pierce, wolverine just happens to have plenty of insanely stupid feats... give colossus wolverine's claws, then maybe, but logan himself? no, and even if he did cut despero, iirc he has a decent healing factor...

whistling

http://img68.imageshack.us/img68/8991/impaled1cc2.th.jpg http://img383.imageshack.us/img383/8814/impaled2wz8.th.jpg

Steel pole <<<< sharpened adamantium ... iirc

eek!

.... and let's not even mention the shark bite incident (oops, too late)

stick out tongue

Raoul
Originally posted by Scoobless
whistling

http://img68.imageshack.us/img68/8991/impaled1cc2.th.jpg http://img383.imageshack.us/img383/8814/impaled2wz8.th.jpg

Steel pole <<<< sharpened adamantium ... iirc

eek!

.... and let's not even mention the shark bite incident (oops, too late)

stick out tongue

aquaman has superhuman strength, though... like, high class 100 at the very least.

Scoobless
aquaman has superhuman strength, though... like, high class 100 at the very least.

It's an unsharpened steel rod from a block of reinforced concrete (or something) though ... you think that's going through Superman? or even Colossus?

Raoul
It's an unsharpened steel rod from a block of reinforced concrete (or something) though ... you think that's going through Superman? or even Colossus?

it looked sharp to me... stick out tongue

if thrown by aquaman, then yes, it should impale colossus, maybe not clark, but clark is just like that...

darthgoober
it looked sharp to me... stick out tongue

if thrown by aquaman, then yes, it should impale colossus, maybe not clark, but clark is just like that...
How would a steel rod impale Colossus when his organic steel is much more durable than regular steel? That would be like someone trying to impale you or me with a Twinkie, no matter how strong the person wielding it is it's going to smash/collapse before it pierces the skin...

Raoul
Originally posted by darthgoober
How would a steel rod impale Colossus when his organic steel is much more durable than regular steel? That would be like someone trying to impale you or me with a Twinkie, no matter how strong the person wielding it is it's going to smash/collapse before it pierces the skin...

it was strong enough to impale despero... srug

even if colossus wouldnt have been impaled, i still don't see how it makes colossus half as durable given how much blunt force despero has taken with relatively little effect...

there's also the 'straw in the tornado' argument...

Creshosk
How would a steel rod impale Colossus when his organic steel is much more durable than regular steel? That would be like someone trying to impale you or me with a Twinkie, no matter how strong the person wielding it is it's going to smash/collapse before it pierces the skin... Yeah that'd be like trying to impale a cement wall with a little piece of wire....

Oh wait... with sufficient force you can launch piano wire through a palm tree, through some ply wood and into the cement wall...

Scoobless
Originally posted by Creshosk
Yeah that'd be like trying to impale a cement wall with a little piece of wire....

Oh wait... with sufficient force you can launch piano wire through a palm tree, through some ply wood and into the cement wall...

No one launched these sharks through any palm trees though:

http://img352.imageshack.us/img352/5246/sharkbitert1.th.jpg

stick out tongue

OneDumbG0
I thought the thread starter specified that this was Despero from 'Vice and Virtue' and not current Despero from 'Crisis of Conscience' and Superman/Batman?

darthgoober
Yeah that'd be like trying to impale a cement wall with a little piece of wire....

Isn't piano wire made out of tempered carbon steel? If so wouldn't it mean that molecule for molecule it was still more durable than all the things it pierced?

Scoobless
Originally posted by OneDumbG0
I thought the thread starter specified that this was Despero from 'Vice and Virtue' and not current Despero from 'Crisis of Conscience' and Superman/Batman?

It's the same guy.

Creshosk
Isn't piano wire made out of tempered carbon steel? If so wouldn't it mean that molecule for molecule it was still more durable than all the things it pierced? Which explains why it can snap from it being hit by felt padded wooden mallets?

Scoobless
Which explains why it can snap from it being hit by felt padded wooden mallets?

Are you claiming that piano hammers (whatever they are called) are tougher than piano wire?

Raoul
No one launched these sharks through any palm trees though:

http://img352.imageshack.us/img352/5246/sharkbitert1.th.jpg

stick out tongue

even so, he still has a hf and IS far more durable than colossus in terms of damage he can take... stick out tongue

Creshosk
Are you claiming that piano hammers (whatever they are called) are tougher than piano wire? I believe I said that the felt padded hammers can break piano wire... which is why you need to get them replaced if they should snap.

And piano wire is made out of spring steel, meaning its more resilient than it is hard.

You know, flexible like a spring.

Scoobless
I believe I said that the felt padded hammers can break piano wire... which is why you need to get them replaced if they should snap.

And piano wire is made out of spring steel, meaning its more resilient than it is hard.

You know, flexible like a spring.

Yeah, but it's wrenched tight when pulled over the metal fr..... god dammit .... why am I discussing piano design/maintenance?

mad

Raoul
Yeah, but it's wrenched tight when pulled over the metal fr..... god dammit .... why am I discussing piano design/maintenance?

mad

laughing out loud

Creshosk

mad
http://www.alexross.com/CJ150.jpg
"Ain't I a stinker?"

Ouallada
it was strong enough to impale despero... srug

even if colossus wouldnt have been impaled, i still don't see how it makes colossus half as durable given how much blunt force despero has taken with relatively little effect...

there's also the 'straw in the tornado' argument...

The "straw in the tornado" argument isn't really just one of force, or speed over distance, but a combination of several factors. It is generally accepted amongst stormchasers and physicists who study this specific area that for the vast majority of such occurences, the tree is bent by perpendicular winds, causing the fibres to stretch, lowering yield strength and forming cracks in some cases, allowing the straw (traveling parallel to the wind) to get jammed in. This is why it is so difficult for straw to be removed after such occurences -- the tree returns to its base shape after being buffeted by the wind.

Brick and metal objects are slightly different. They often happen as a result of inundation by small debris, causing minute cracks which lowers fracture and impact strength, allowing straw or grass to enter. However, there is much that is still induction as tornadoes are not fully understood and the conditions cannot be exactly recreated.

As for piano wire and hammers, that is a different sort of strength, and wear and tear/warping comes into play too. Different set of occurences.

darthgoober
Which explains why it can snap from it being hit by felt padded wooden mallets?
I'm pretty sure that has a lot to do with how tightly the wire is stretched. And whether it's springy or not, it's still tempered carbon steel according to it's Wiki article(though I guess it could be wrong since it's wiki)...

"Piano wire is a specialized type of wire made for use in piano and other musical instrument strings, as well as many other purposes. It is made from tempered high-carbon steel, also known as "spring steel". Music wire is another name for piano wire: it is used for the cores of strings, which may be wound with other materials. Music wire is used for a variety of stringed instruments that use steel strings, such as guitars."

I guess it's possible that concrete is more durable than and equal amount of "springy" steel, but I'd have to see some proof to fully buy it. I'm not asking you to go find proof on it mind you because it has nothing to do with the thread topic, just pointing out my general view on it because I generally consider steel to be the tougher of the substances generic types.

Ouallada
I'm pretty sure that has a lot to do with how tightly the wire is stretched. And whether it's springy or not, it's still tempered carbon steel according to it's Wiki article(though I guess it could be wrong since it's wiki)...

"Piano wire is a specialized type of wire made for use in piano and other musical instrument strings, as well as many other purposes. It is made from tempered high-carbon steel, also known as "spring steel". Music wire is another name for piano wire: it is used for the cores of strings, which may be wound with other materials. Music wire is used for a variety of stringed instruments that use steel strings, such as guitars."

I guess it's possible that concrete is more durable than and equal amount of "springy" steel, but I'd have to see some proof to fully buy it. I'm not asking you to go find proof on it mind you because it has nothing to do with the thread topic, just pointing out my general view on it because I generally consider steel to be the tougher of the substances generic types.

To be honest, no one is going to be able to objectively answer a question on material durability based on real chemistry, because there isn't really a catchall durability for materials.

Diamond, for instance, is the hardest naturally occuring material. However, it certainly isn't the toughest. Jadiete, iirc, has that distinction, but is not as hard as diamond. Besides these two relatively umbrella terms, we also have the various tensile strengths, fracture strengths, impact strengths, buckling strengths etc.

Illustrating using the mentioned examples as parallels, a wheat straw can rend concrete while glass cannot not because it is simply more durable, but because it is "tougher" (using the catchall term). However, a straw cannot cut glass because the latter is "harder".

The Illuminati
even so, he still has a hf and IS far more durable than colossus in terms of damage he can take... stick out tongue

It surely doesn't seem to be that way.

Raoul
Originally posted by The Illuminati
It surely doesn't seem to be that way.

colossus wouldnt take punches from superman, captain marvel, powergirl, wonder woman and hourman with little effect...

Scoobless
colossus wouldnt take punches from superman, captain marvel, powergirl, wonder woman and hourman with little effect...

What the hell does that have to do with a piano?

roll eyes (sarcastic)

batdude123

roll eyes (sarcastic)

laughing

Raoul

roll eyes (sarcastic)

well, colossus plays a mean chopin...

psycho gundam
what is despero's cape holder pinned to?
oh, and the scan with the sharks biting him.......i lol'd.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.