The Day the Earth Stood Still

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

D-Wag
Clicky Here

Looks entertaining, might have to wait until its released on dvd though.

jaden101
yeah i watched the trailer yesterday...looks like it could be a surprisingly good remake...the style it's done in looks really good

Placidity
Is this based on Biblical events? Just wondering.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
The trailer looks really good.

Originally posted by Placidity
Is this based on Biblical events? Just wondering.

Very weird question, but the answer is no.

MildPossession
Jennifer Connolly! I had no idea she was in the remake, I'm there.

Looks pretty good.

Toku King
They better have the robot, or I'm gonna be pissed.

jaden101
Originally posted by Toku King
They better have the robot, or I'm gonna be pissed.

you get the briefest of glimpses of it just after the explosion behind keanu reeves at the end of the trailer

jaden101
here

Toku King
Originally posted by jaden101
here

I wasn't really sure what that was at the end. But I hope that it doesn't just show up for five minutes and die. Hollywood tends to do that nowadays with old school characters.

jaden101
personally i dont really see what else it could be but yeah you're right...you never know what stupid bullshit Hollywood will pull off when remaking old films

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=10772691
http://www.cmu.edu/PR/releases06/images/060419_gort_lg.jpg

Koenig
Please don't tell me this is an updated version of the classic film, if this is the case I suspect it will be awful.

ragesRemorse
why? Out of all the remakes this is one that i think deserves an update.

Koenig
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
why? Out of all the remakes this is one that i think deserves an update.

Most up dated films have been messed up by Hollywood with far to many big special effects and a dreadful storyline. I rather see a film with a good storyline and miss the big slam bag thank you mam effect films which Hollywood churns out these days.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by Koenig
Most up dated films have been messed up by Hollywood with far to many big special effects and a dreadful storyline. I rather see a film with a good storyline and miss the big slam bag thank you mam effect films which Hollywood churns out these days.

I agree with you. Focusing on special effects over a story is rarely ever a good idea. But, The day the Earth stood still, was a very visual movie for it's time, so, of course it will have a strong concentration towards visual effects. I dont know how well this movie will be. It could very easily turn out to be another war of worlds, giving us incredible visual effects with the sacrifice of a memorable story. Don't you think, though, that remaking, day the earth stood still, is a reasonable choice?

BruceSkywalker
I've seen the trailer. Love the original, but this looks like shiite. Reeves is a good actor, but his talents are being wasted. If I am correct I doubt if you even hear "Gort Barada Nikto"...

I will pass on this even on dvd.

ragesRemorse
forgot klaato

Koenig
I agree with you. Focusing on special effects over a story is rarely ever a good idea. But, The day the Earth stood still, was a very visual movie for it's time, so, of course it will have a strong concentration towards visual effects. I dont know how well this movie will be. It could very easily turn out to be another war of worlds, giving us incredible visual effects with the sacrifice of a memorable story. Don't you think, though, that remaking, day the earth stood still, is a reasonable choice?

I agree the original had effects but they were not over the top and we had a good storyline. I admit I would like to see this remake as long as its a good one but I don't hold much hope for this version coming out, well we shall see how well it dose.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
Reeves is a good actor, but his talents are being wasted.

Hahaha!

MildPossession
I was just going to do the same thing with the Reeves comment... good actor my arse.

Darth Vicious
Originally posted by D-Wag
Clicky Here

Looks entertaining, might have to wait until its released on dvd though.

Thanks for the link. I didnt knew a trailer was already up. Trailer looks good. Im there on opening weekend.

Toku King
I know that I'm late, but I just finished watching "The Day The Earth Stood Still" a few minutes ago, and I was seriously impressed. I personally expected another movie that was legendary in meaning, but sucks as a movie. However, the film itself was absolutely fantastic in all meanings of the science fiction genre. Everything played out so perfectly, the actors were generally good(especially some brilliant acting from none other than Michael Rennie), the pacing was pitch perfect, the dialogue was superb, and Gort kicked all kinds of ass. The meaning to the film was told directly to you, but in a way that not only appeals to everyone, but allows you to think about the future of mankind. It's definitely a 5/5.

This also makes me say that this remake will without a doubt suck. They seem to have absolutely no clue about anything to do with the classic. And besides, "Earth Stood Still" is the kind of movie that should be re-released into theaters, not remade.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
However, the film itself was absolutely fantastic in all meanings of the science fiction genre.

"all meanings of the science fiction genre"?

Please explain yourself, child...

Darth Vicious
I think the movie needs a remake. The message that the original sent is not one that would necessarily work nowadays. The robot could use an upgrade as well. My only concern with the remake is Keanu Reeves. While I like his movies, Im not sure if he'll be good for such a serious role.

Toku King
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
"all meanings of the science fiction genre"?

Please explain yourself, child...

It had great acting, the dialogue was strong, the pacing was perfect, it didn't need any big fight scenes to keep me interested, and overall the entire movie itself worked amazingly.

Toku King
Originally posted by Darth Vicious
The message that the original sent is not one that would necessarily work nowadays.

How doesn't it work nowadays?

Ya Krunk'd Floo
It had great acting, the dialogue was strong, the pacing was perfect, it didn't need any big fight scenes to keep me interested, and overall the entire movie itself worked amazingly.

None of those aspects are specific to the science fiction genre, so I'm still waiting for you to explain yourself.

What does "all meanings of the science fiction genre" mean?

Mindship
Many of the scifi remakes lately I've found to be pretty good, even if the originals are still the better versions (eg, King Kong, War of the Worlds). In fact, I actually liked I Am Legend better than The Omega Man. So this DTESS remake could be pretty good (certainly, the trailer wasn't bad).

Besides, we get another rendition of Neo Constantine.

=Tired Hiker=
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
None of those aspects are specific to the science fiction genre, so I'm still waiting for you to explain yourself.

What does "all meanings of the science fiction genre" mean?

I think he means that it was all like sciency-ish and stuff.

tom_servo
Are you people high? This has to be the worst idea for a remake I've seen since...ever. Keanu Reeves? Seriously? Sigh. They're going to ruin one of the greatest Sci-Fi classics of all time.

ragesRemorse
Dude, It's a remake, of course no one expects much out of it. Wait to see it before you rip it to shreds

I have to admit that i am actually interested in seeing this movie. The trailer seems as though this movie is going to try and distance itself from the original a bit. I hope that this is indeed what the filmmakers tried to do. I am not one of those people who are against remakes, but i do think a remake should, in respect of it's original inspiration, strive to be a different interpretation of the source material. Personally, i think Keanu's detached presence should suit this character quite well, but im sure his name will hurt this movie. I Like Neo, but i can understand why he would and does turn people off. With an over abundance of save the earth propaganda being shoved down our throats every day, a rising disdain for to much cgi and a seemingly unanimous dislike for Keanu Reeve's. This Movie has a major up hill battle. As a sci-fi and Keanu fan. I wish it the best of luck and hope it thrills me.

H. S. 6
Originally posted by tom_servo
Are you people high? This has to be the worst idea for a remake I've seen since...ever. Keanu Reeves? Seriously? Sigh. They're going to ruin one of the greatest Sci-Fi classics of all time.

Oh, it won't be all that bad.

He's playing a lifeless robot-alien; the role was just about made with him in mind. stick out tongue

Darth Vicious
eek! 5 Minutes trailer! It seems very different than the original. Ill be there on opening night though.

http://au.video.yahoo.com/watch/3810106/10430112

Bicnarok

Bicnarok
This German trailer shows the robot more than the english one for some reason.

http://www.dtaddes.de/trailer/

WO Polaski
I can not WAIT for this movie!

I am one of the few Keanu Reeve fans on the planet

jaden101
Originally posted by Bicnarok
This German trailer shows the robot more than the english one for some reason.

http://www.dtaddes.de/trailer/

looks pretty damn cool...no doubt about it...although, so do alot of films nowadays that turn out to be shit...live rise of the silver surfer

Kazenji

Bicnarok

WO Polaski
Keanu WAS popular but I think the Matrix kind of type casted him and so people dont appreciate his newer movies

also I guess they think his acting is stale

BruceSkywalker
I am seeing this for one reason...

The trailer for Wolverine

ragesRemorse
Why don't you just download it for free ?

BruceSkywalker
Why don't you just download it for free ?

i can't do that... laughing out loud laughing

SpaceMonkey
Wolverine trailer!!!! Oh... and there's this damn movie too.

Bicnarok
Is this the one you mean?

ZWz4WGHtu-A

Jim Colyer
How can the remake be as good as the original?

NonSensi-Klown
... it wouldn't be the first time.

Kazenji

Bicnarok

jaden101
not watching black and white movies?

so that would include

schindlers list, sin city, clerks and raging bull to name but a few...shows your opinion is...a bit silly

SillySully7
...I should probably actually watch the original before I say anything, huh?

jaden101
hmmm...yeah probably should...although i'm coming around to the idea that every film should be judged on it's own merits and not compared to the originals...which i have been guilty of to an extreme extent over the years....prejudging and thus not watching poseidon, the italian job, deathrace, quarantine and many other remakes

BlazingBarrells
Originally posted by MildPossession
good actor my arse.

I like his stuff. He has never really let me down i guess. Speed, Bill and ted's, The Replacements, The Devils Advocate, etc, etc....i like him....

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Bicnarok
Is this the one you mean?

ZWz4WGHtu-A

nope, i saw a brand new one..

the film was good but the original was a whole lot better..

the cgi was great though

MildPossession
It's getting mostly crap reviews here in the UK.

BackFire
Couple of my friends saw it and said it was mad shitty.

Darth Vicious
I just watched it and sadly, this version is crap! I like the original 100 times better. The interaction between the kid and Klaatu was much better in the original. Will Smith's son annoyed the hell out of me 2/3 of the movie. I felt that Klaatu delivered his message better in the original (the whole U.N) while in this one he basically only delivered his message to Helen. The only thing I liked better than the original was Gort. Overall I would say wait until it hits dvd.

Darth Vicious
I forgot, the f*ing scene I was looking wasnt even in the movie. No f*ing klaatu barada nikto!

Kazenji
This film is'nt even out yet in AUS We don't get it until the 25th.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by MildPossession
It's getting mostly crap reviews here in the UK.

hi mp, don't see it

Originally posted by Kazenji
This film is'nt even out yet in AUS We don't get it until the 25th.

don't waste ur money

Anti-Monitor
Great cast, story was ok but I was getting bored kinda and the ending sucked. I wanted to hit Wills son and told him to STFU, I wish Jennifer's character would have done that. Ungrateful bastard kid... The real Wolverine trailer is the best part..

Toku King
God, what bullshit movie. The people who made this film didn't leave the classic saying "You know what was interesting?", but instead left it saying "You know what would look cool in cgi?".

Darth Vicious
Originally posted by Anti-Monitor
I wanted to hit Wills son and told him to STFU, I wish Jennifer's character would have done that. Ungrateful bastard kid...
Amen to that!

Toku King
Originally posted by Anti-Monitor
I wanted to hit Wills son and told him to STFU, I wish Jennifer's character would have done that. Ungrateful bastard kid

I KNOW!!! The whole point of his character in the old film was to be that sweet, curious kid that gives Klaatu hope for this world.
In the new one he's just a brat.

Quiero Mota
It sucked. It was basically just Terminator II, but with an alien instead of a robot.

ragesRemorse
I liked it.

Lord Knightfa11
I liked it too. It had neo and john cleese in it smile Knightfall seal of approval on the casting.

As for the story, it was alright, i've seen better stories, but it wasn't the worst or most slowpaced in the world.

Lycanthrope
Originally posted by Koenig
Please don't tell me this is an updated version of the classic film, if this is the case I suspect it will be awful.

It was!!!

Damn it was disappointing.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by Lord Knightfa11
I liked it too. It had neo and john cleese in it smile Knightfall seal of approval on the casting.

As for the story, it was alright, i've seen better stories, but it wasn't the worst or most slowpaced in the world.

Yeah, i thought the casting was the best part. Neo did a good job.

moviefanatic04
who is in this movie??

Robtard
Originally posted by Darth Vicious
I forgot, the f*ing scene I was looking wasnt even in the movie. No f*ing klaatu barada nikto!

Here it is:

XkiktYPROa0

Anti-Monitor
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
It sucked. It was basically just Terminator II, but with an alien instead of a robot.

Ummmm... its nothing like Terminator. erm

Bicnarok

SelinaAndBruce
It was horrible and boring. And I didn't think the Wolverine trailer was that hot either.

Sado22
the only thing that made it worth it was Keanu Reeves who was pretty good. the first half hour had me curious. then it went from predictable to plain dumb. its a movie about the world coming to an end but guess what? the world doesn't end. there is still hope. we have a chance. blah blah blah blah. predictable, dumb, boring, with dumb asstard kid who should've been slapped around and fed to the dogs and had his grave pissed on everyday.

~The Cranky Sado-sama
p.s. F0ck wolverine: orgins.

moviefanatic04
what do you guys think? it looks really good but not too sure about it

Robtard
Originally posted by moviefanatic04
what do you guys think? it looks really good but not too sure about it

100% pure shit.

jalek moye
i thought it was pretty good,

i never liked the original, imo it just didn't age well

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by Sado22
the only thing that made it worth it was Keanu Reeves who was pretty good. the first half hour had me curious. then it went from predictable to plain dumb. its a movie about the world coming to an end but guess what? the world doesn't end. there is still hope. we have a chance. blah blah blah blah. predictable, dumb, boring, with dumb asstard kid who should've been slapped around and fed to the dogs and had his grave pissed on everyday.

~The Cranky Sado-sama
p.s. F0ck wolverine: orgins.

Yeah, That child single handedly destroyed the entire movie for me. Keanu did a great job but the only problem is, he was playing a cold alien lifeform. So, why did i feel like i was seeing more life from his character than i did from the rest of the cast? It really could have been a great movie had it been given better writing. It's still not a bad movie but rather, disappointing.

Sado22
ditto. there is only so much an actor can do if the script and direction sucks ass. keanu was good as always but even he couldn't save this disaster movie....and not the kind of disaster movie the director was aiming for. if i was Klato, I'd find even more reason to destroy the world given how everyone was behaving laughing out loud

jaden101
Never thought i'd ever read that anywhere in my life.

Robtard
Welcome to KMC.

ragesRemorse

Why?

No, really, why do you feel that Keanu Reeves is such a shit poor actor? He is a very decent actor. He may make a few bad decisions but he has definitely evolved over his career. Whether it's the popular thing to hate on Reeves, he is still a fairly diverse actor.

Sado22
ditto. he's been doing mostly good movies and has been convincing in all his roles. and seriously, i'd like to see a list of actors who could have pulled off the character of Neo the way he did. he's diverse and he always does justice to his character. in my book.....that's good acting.

~Sado

Robtard
Why?

No, really, why do you feel that Keanu Reeves is such a shit poor actor? He is a very decent actor. He may make a few bad decisions but he has definitely evolved over his career. Whether it's the popular thing to hate on Reeves, he is still a fairly diverse actor.

What roll has he done where you though, "woah, this guy can act and is diverse'?

He's a piss-poor actor, doesn't mean some of his movies aren't entertaining, Matrix, Street Kings etc. But his acting is at best, lackluster.

Robtard
Originally posted by Sado22
ditto. he's been doing mostly good movies and has been convincing in all his roles. and seriously, i'd like to see a list of actors who could have pulled off the character of Neo the way he did. he's diverse and he always does justice to his character. in my book.....that's good acting.

~Sado

That's a loaded question, "the way he did". There are actors who could do that role better, though different.

Bale and McAvoy are two who would have done that role much better and as actors, are leagues above anything Reeves has ever done.

jaden101
The only role he's ever performed to a high standard was in devil's advocate which was lifted by Pacino.

every other film he's been in that i've seen he was been either wooden (The matrix, day the earth stood still), played the same character just in a different situation (point break, chain reaction)

the only other films i've half enjoyed were Johnny Pnuemonic and Constantine which he didn't suit the role. (albeit for different reasons) and a scanner darkly

Sado22
its a matter of opinion i guess. as for Bale, he's a great actor but he's had his moments of being wooden (dark knight).

Darth Martin
TDTESS isn't as bad IMO as everyone was making it out to be. Was it great? No. Good? Meybe not, but it didn't suck.

And I think Keanu Reeves is a good actor.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.