Best Serial Killer Movie

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

alicia-marie
I have been trying to find good true-to-life serial killer movies. Some are okay but not too many that actually represent to true events well.
Any idea's or top ten lists would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

steverules
You could try this thread wink

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f58/t322645.html

BackFire
Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer is loosely based on the confession of Henry Lee Lucas. The acts in the film are fictional, but the film is excellent and some of the violence is incredibly believable.

Most films based on real killings aren't particularly good. But if you want serial killer films based on real events you've got - Gacy, Dahmer, Bundy, Ed Gein, and any other number of straight to video films.

The best film based on a high profile serial killer is David Fincer's Zodiac, by far.

But if you're also looking for realistically portrayed fictional serial killer films, seek out the August Underground films. Particularly the first one. They're incredibly harsh and most don't like them, but they're among the most realistic depiction of murder that I've seen.

MildPossession
Zodiac is definitely one to watch, fantastic film.

Röland
Originally posted by MildPossession
Zodiac is definitely one to watch, fantastic film.
Agreed.

If you buy it, try to find the Directors Cut. It doesn't offer much of new stuff in way of the movie, but the second disc contains a couple documentaries that are well worth the extra money.

wolfey
there's the Guinea Pig movies... not for the faint of heart, they depict murder like you've never seen before. I read that Charlie Sheen reported Flower of Flesh and Blood to the feds thinking it was a real life snuff film.

The special effects are wild, especially for the 80's when they were made. As long as you keep reminding yourself they're not real, worth a watch.

Impediment
Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer is an awesome, and disturbing, film. I highly recommend it.

Zodiac was okay, in my opinion.

I also liked the cheaply made biopics of Gacy, Gein, and Speck.

deathbycorn
This isn't based on a true story but this is a top notch film.

Man Bites Dog

deathbycorn
Another good one is this Korean film from the director of The Host.
This one is based on real life serial killers.

Memories of Murder

And the German film Cannibal by Marian Dora is based on Armin Meiwes, that guy who killed and ate that other guy!

Cannibal

BackFire
Originally posted by deathbycorn
This isn't based on a true story but this is a top notch film.

Man Bites Dog

Good choice. That's an excellent movie. Forgot about that one.

Bek66
I know this is an old thread, but it's still a relevant topic, so here's a list for you...complete with the real-life serial killer's that the stories are based on, however loosely.

M (1931)--Notable as being the very first serial killer movie, altho the term was not used as such until around 50 year later.
Based on Peter Kurten: the Vampire of Dusseldorf

Shadow of a Doubt (1943) Directed by good old Alfred Hitchcock--Based on Earle Leonard Nelson: The Dark Strangler

Arsenic and Old Lace (1944) Altho this movie is largely a comedy, it's still a serial killer movie.
Based loosely on Caroline Grills or Granny Grills as she was affectionately know...not warranted, as it turns out.

Monsieur Verdoux (1947) Directed by and starring Charles Chaplin
Another comedic take, but way different from Chaplin's 'little tramp' roles.
Based around the exploits of Henry Landru: The Modern Bluebeard

Psycho (1960) Another Hitchcock and the earliest recognised serial killer movie.
Based loosely on the real-life Ed Gein

The Boston Strangler (1968) Altho Tony Curtis was not the best choice for the title role, since he'd just come off of 12 roles in romantic comedies, he played the part well.
Based on Albert DeSalvo: The Boston Strangler

The Honeymoon Killers (1970)
Based on real-life 'Lonely Heart Killers', Martha Beck and Raymond Fernandez.

10 Rillington Place (1971) Based on London's necrophiliac serial killer, John Christie, noted as 'one of the most heinous fiends who ever lived.'

Frenzy (1972) Another Hitchcock, based around both the Boston Strangler and London's Jack the Stripper.

Eaten Alive (1977) A very campy and not really very good movie, but it can be fun if you like a bit of silly with your killers.
Based very loosely on Texas killer Joe Ball: The Alligator Man

Murder by Decree (1979) A bit of Sherlock for you and based on probably the most famous killer of all time, Jack the Ripper.

Okay, the keyboard is tired...to be continued after it has a nap.

anfernee06
nice info.

PrttyHateMachin
OMG are you people all dumb! the movie Se7en is by far one of the best serial killer movies! zodiac was good to along with mr brooks and a few others

Dr Mystery
I always found the Gacy movie with Brian Dennehy disturbing as a kid.

Myth
American Psycho.

Mr. Brooks.

Perfume.

the ninjak
The Young Poisoner's Handbook-

Doc Blake
Zodiac
10 Rillington Place

FistOfThe North
holloween

jinXed by JaNx
se7en

Blinky
Not based on true events, but:

Profondo rosso (Deep red).

Beautiful serial killer movie.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.