Recommended Wii Games...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
I've had a Wii for about 10 months now, and it's a lot of fun. I'd class myself as a 'casual gamer', but I do like good games. I've got about 10 games for the Wii, but I'd say only 5 of them are really good: Zelda, Wii Sports, Tiger Woods, Super Mario Galaxy, and Mario Kart.

I fell for all the hype about Smash Bros. Brawl and bought it, but I haven't played that game for about 3 months; I just find it a little dull. I loved playing Super Mario Galaxy, but I gave up on it after getting about 108 stars. Those purple coin missions just pissed me off. I still haven't finished Zelda because I got stuck on that mission with the revolving staircases, and I can't remember what I'm supposed to do. Wii Sports is still fun with friends, but the best games I've got are Mario Kart and Tiger Woods. My girlfriend loves to play Mario Kart, so we have some good races there, and it's always fun getting a few friends over for a round of skins play on Tiger Woods. We usually have a little cash pool for each hole.

Anyway, I've finally found an English version of PES 2008 where I live, so I'm looking forward to playing that, but what other good games are there for the Wii? I'm into adventure-type games, sports games, and I used to love James Bond on the N64. I'm thinking of getting Super Paper Mario and Top Spin 3 - any good? Also, I find that the best games for the Wii (or any Nintendo system) are generally the ones they make themselves.

Any thoughts?

Any recommendations?

Any anything?

Brief explanations, and plus-points would be muchos appreciatedos.

DigiMark007
Wii recommendations:

Buy a 360.

shifty

...or show the Wii to your girlfriend. It'll make her a gamer, and help you get away with your addiction.

wink

Seriously, sorry for the non-advice. Just havign my fun. smile

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Yeah, she's into it already.

I only really have time to play video-games for a couple of hours on the weekend, so I don't see the point getting a 'serious' machine like the 360 or PS3. They look nice, and I like games like GTA and God of War, but I've always had a soft spot for Nintendo. They're just so good at making purely fun games. A few years ago, I had a PS2 and a game called 'The Suffering'. Made me scared, and I didn't like playing it at night.

MadMel
if you want multi player than perhaps guitar hero 3?
its a bit costly to get both the game and two guitars but its well worth it big grin

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Anything else? Is Metroid Prime 3 worth a shot?

Bardock42
I enjoyed Super Monkey Ball...but I only played for like 4 hours.

Morridini
Metroid Prime III is a great game, best FPS on the Wii.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Originally posted by Bardock42
I enjoyed Super Monkey Ball...but I only played for like 4 hours.

Stop making up ridiculous-sounding games, you weirdo.

So, I've put Metroid Prime on the list, but what else? I want a comprehensive list, goddamnit!

S_D_J
Zack and Wiki, If you own a Wii, Z&W it's a must

Bloom Box it's also fun

Metroid Prime 3 It's a must... and maybe Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 (I liked the controls in that game)

Super Paper Mario is quite good... though at times it can drag on and feel a bit too boring

... and if you like party games: Warioware: Smooth Moves can be entertaining

No More Heroes is also entertaining, a bit like GTA, but NMH is more style than substance....

... and if you didn't own a GC, there's a lot of GC games worth playing

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Thanks for the recommendations! I forgot about Zak and Wiki - I meant to get it a while ago because I've heard good things about it. The same goes for No More Heroes, so I'll add that to the list. I've got Warioware: Smooth Moves, but I don't play it much; it was funny at first, but now I just find it a little boring.

Icy Ninja
Yes, add No More Heroes to the list. Fun game to play very funny and if you don't play games too much it isn't very long took me about 10 hours to beat. It truly is a must play wii game

First_Tsurugi06
My sister is head over heels for Trauma Center: Second Opinion. I've played it too, and I'd say it's enjoyable. If you havne't played Under the Knife on the DS, you should know that Second Opinion is basically a port of it (though they made one called New Blood on the Wii, and a recent direct sequel to UTK/SO on the DS). It's kinda lengthy in a sense, but it's also kind of addicting; there's a good story and it's told well for what they use (anime stills) with each operation completed, you might just want to continue on to see where the story goes next. I'd say you should give that game a rental at least.

The characters are all pretty original, but personally, both my sister and I hate Nurse Angie almost as much as I hate that Patty Lowell kid from that DMC anime ("Buy me cute clothes, Dante!" "I re-decorated your shop with pink and cute, Dante!" "I ate your strawberry sundae knowing full well it was yours, Dante!" "What are you doing with that .45 in my face, Dante?"wink. Almost.

Anyway, I'm only saying that because everyone else either said No More Heroes or Super Paper Mario.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Keep 'em comin', people! I want a list of about 10 games to get!

So far, I'm getting No More Heroes, Wiki and Zak, Metroid Prime 3, and I'm thinking of getting Super Paper Mario. That Trauma Center sounds interesting, but I think I'll pass...

ESB -1138
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption is a must own and so is No More Heroes. Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles is a fun game that you should look up or if you haven't played RE4 yet that would be the better of the two. Sonic & the Secret Rings is the best 3D Sonic game to have come out so far (please be good Sonic Unleashed) and I would suggest looking into that and if you are a fan of the original (or just looking for an addicting game) I would say NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams.

If you haven't played Okami on the PS2 I would say check it out.

S_D_J
oh yeah, If you haven't play RE4, get the Wii edition... and Umbrella Chronicles as well.
NiGHTS is Ok, though the checkpoint mechanics is really broken, and annoying

And Okami is amazingl, It was a great PS2 title, I don't think the Wii version is any different (other than using the wiimote of course)

Impediment
Metroid Prime 3
Resident Evil 4
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Paper Mario
Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree

((The_Anomaly))
GET Metroid Prime 3, second best game on the system next to Mario Galaxy IMO.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
I checked out that Okami, but I don't really want to play as a dog; the parts of Twilight Princess when Link turns into a wolf/dog were the most annoying bits for me. Resident Evil looks good though.

What are everyone's top 5 Wii games?

Here's my list:

1) Super Mario Galaxy
2) Mario Kart Wii
3) Tiger Woods
4) Wii Sports
5) Zelda

Those are listed in terms of the enjoyment I've had from them. Also, they all get frequently replayed - apart from Zelda which is waiting for the cold, dark, winter nights to be reopened.

Icy Ninja
1)No More Heroes
2)Metroid Prime 3
3)Zelda
4)Resident Evil 4
5)Mario Kart Wii

For some reason I haven't tried Super Mario Galaxy even though I really want to

Morridini
1 - Super Maro Galaxy
2 - Metroid Prime III
3 - The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
4 - Super Smash bros Brawl
5 - Wii Sport

(If I didn't have RE 4 on the GC I would probably buy it for the Wii and it would be in first or second place)

Impediment
Super Mario Galaxy
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Metroid Prime 3
Resident Evil 4
Super Paper Mario

ESB -1138
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
I checked out that Okami, but I don't really want to play as a dog; the parts of Twilight Princess when Link turns into a wolf/dog were the most annoying bits for me. Resident Evil looks good though.

Don't compare Okami's gameplay to Twilight Princess's wolf segments. Okami's would be more comparable to say human Link's gameplay just in a wolf form.

My top Wii games:

1.) Super Mario Galaxy
2.) Metroid Prime III: Corruption
3.) No More Heroes
4.) Zack and Wiki
5.) Super Smash Bros Brawl

Twilight Princess and RE4 don't make my list because they were both ports from the Gamecube. I consider them GC games not Wii games.

Oh and a Zelda Wii game has been rumored and that Twilight Princess would be the last traditional Zelda game. If that's a good thing or a bad thing I don't know.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Originally posted by ESB -1138
Don't compare Okami's gameplay to Twilight Princess's wolf segments. Okami's would be more comparable to say human Link's gameplay just in a wolf form.

OK, but I just didn't like the way the wolf ran (like a wolf) in Twilight Princess. If this was the case, am I going to dislike the movement in Okami, too?

My top Wii games:

1.) Super Mario Galaxy
2.) Metroid Prime III: Corruption
3.) No More Heroes
4.) Zack and Wiki
5.) Super Smash Bros Brawl

I can't find anywhere that has an English language version of Zack and Wiki and No More Heroes over this way. Would them being in Japanese make it impossible to play?

Oh and a Zelda Wii game has been rumored and that Twilight Princess would be the last traditional Zelda game. If that's a good thing or a bad thing I don't know.

My favorite Zelda game is Ocarina of Time for the N64. If they could create something as fun, challenging and enjoyable as that, then I'll be as happy as a fish in a sea of calm tropical waters. Twilight Princess is good, but I want something a little more special, please.

S_D_J
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
OK, but I just didn't like the way the wolf ran (like a wolf) in Twilight Princess. If this was the case, am I going to dislike the movement in Okami, too?

I can't find anywhere that has an English language version of Zack and Wiki and No More Heroes over this way. Would them being in Japanese make it impossible to play?

My favorite Zelda game is Ocarina of Time for the N64. If they could create something as fun, challenging and enjoyable as that, then I'll be as happy as a fish in a sea of calm tropical waters. Twilight Princess is good, but I want something a little more special, please.

If you don't like how a wolf moves in general (like for real), then maybe you won't like it, but Okami feels a lot like Zelda (like when you're playing with Link), but it has it's own distinct feel, the painting mechanics makes it unique (the wiimote it's said to make even easier and faster to use the paintbrush)

No More Heroes it's pretty much straightforward, there's no way you could get lost. It tells you were to go in the map, and all you do it's slash your way to the boss fight, but half the fun the game has is the story, so I think you'll missing a lot of what makes it good. Game play isn't great, most of the time it's broken. The story holds much of it's appeal, It's stylish and funny (great anime and StarWars references)

You'll be lost at Zack and Wiki many times, but it won't be because of the language, the game it's a big puzzle, you have to figure out what to do, but it being in Japanese wouldn't affect much... nothing Gamefaqs can't fix...

... there's also multiplatform games you can try:
Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga it's entertaining no matter what console you play it, great co-op multiplayer game, even if you don't like StarWars
and if you like GTA, you can try Bully: Scholarship Edition, plays much like a GTA game, in a smaller scale, and it's got a good storyline

My top 5:
1) Super Mario Galaxy
2) Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
3) Zack and Wiki
4) Wii Sport
5) No More Heroes

... I bought SSBB, but played it like for an hour and haven't touched it since (not because I don't like it, it's just that I haven't got time to play it, great game though)... And I haven't bought Mario Kart yet ( I know, I suck stick out tongue )

And everyone should give Bloom Box a try, I haven't bought it yet, but I was impressed when I played it

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Yo, so I'm picking-up Metroid Prime III and Resident Evil 4 today thanks to the recommendations.

Also, I've been playing Pro Evolution Soccer (Football) 2008 for a couple of days now. The control system was tough at first, but I'm slowly getting into it. Some of the passing moves you can create are excellent. The only gripe is the stupid shaking-the-nunchuck-to-shoot thing. Hate that. Is there an alternative? Anyone else been playing this game?

Ushgarak
Other than the language thing, Zack and Wiki is definitely a good idea (and even if it doesn't become a front row game for you, ther guys who made it certainly deserve more sales than they got).

You know, I'll go out on a limb here and say you probably COULD play a non-English version. Certainly I don't remember any of the actual gameplay segments being anything other than visual (though I have not finished it yet). None of the between-mission explanations will make sense but it's not essential and it's just a mattter of being clear on how to play, which isn't that hard.

Meanwhile, whilst it is JUST a rails shooting game and nothing else, I found Umbrella Chronicles surprisingly enjoyable, especially with a friend. People have shoved a load of easily made second rate titles onto Wii, mostly rubbish, but UC is 'King of the Second Raters', as it were, to the point where it's actually a pretty good game.

I am led to understand that the next version of Tiger Woods is shaping up to be darn good, btw.

Jericho Zerø
I'd throw Soul Calibur Legends in there on the list, if you're a fan of the series. It takes place four years before Soul Calibur 2, and rather than being a simple fighter, allows you to control such series favorites as Siegfried, Ivy, Mitsurugi, Astaroth, Sophitia, and Taki, as well as guest character Lloyd from Tales of Symphonia in what I feel was a direction that Soul Calibur should have taken ages ago, even if just for spinoff purposes. It's a little touchy on attack combos, and some levels can be repetitive, but it is nice to play through just for the aesthetic value of the series, as well as finding out what happened to cause Siegfried's fusion with the Soul Edge to become Nightmare. (Not in spoilers as everyone should know that much by now. If not, someone please feel free to edit as necessary.)

Also, if you're a fan of the Wii Sports disc that came with your Wii, you might be interested in a game they've released called Ninja Reflex. I don't have any clue what it's about, but I've heard if you liked Wii Sports, it's a must-own.

CaptainStoic
I know that this title is not out yet, but the Ghost Busters is sure to be a huge hit when it comes out. The WII will trully make you fel like you're really in the game.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.